XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Hi,

Thanks for the link, but its a two year old link and lots has changed with the Bios and iLO fw updates. Its not the same issue as well. What we need is the drivers from HP ESXi u2 injected into xpenology like the AMS module i've managed to work. Just don't know how/where the iLO drivers. The only solution that I found that works is to disconnect the front temp sensor and makes the iLO think that its running at 0C and the fan stays at 6%. Of-course if the cpu load/temp goes up fan spins higher. There seems to be no ill-effect of disconnecting the front intake temp sensor.

By the way, DSM6 runs fine as a VM in HP ESXi u2 with no fan issues. Fan stays at 6% at any ambient temp for me. The only thing is that the HDDs wont spindown/sleep as they are running in RDM mode from the HP B120i controller.

Working AMS and iLO driver for dsm 6 are here

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7640&start=10#p78810

Ciao

ema

Hi ema,

Thanks for the link , but I got those installed already. They provide more info in the iLO but do not resolve the fan speed issue.

Thanks.

hello all first of all thank you for the great job

i have made 2 test bare metal

one with JETWAY|JNF9J-Q87 ITX R I3-4130 3.6GHz 16gig 8*4T raid 6

the other with Gigabyte H97n-Wifi I3-4130 3.6GHz 16gig 8*3T raid 10

the one with the Jetway motherboard i am not able to activate the second network card i get a 169.1223.322.25 something address so i finally deactivated in the bios

So if someone as the same motherboard and find a way to make the other network car just tell me how, and yes i did put a mac2=.

thank you again for all the great work you're doing

Good evening,

Sorry for my english, i'm french i've a problem

Motherboard SuperMicro X7SPA-H-D510 loader jun1.0.1, can not install writes: error failure reading sector 0x363d from hd0, failure error reading sector 0x3561 from hd0, no such partition

test with other hdd (problem)

I don't understand, please help me.

Thks

All hdd are connected and working fine with DSM v 5 the error starts when I put the new bootloader and try to update to v 6, with find.synology.com or the synology assitant I get the message:

'We've detected errors on your hard drives (1,2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

again this happends on 3 baremetal servers which work fine with DSM 5 I have done data scrubbing and smart checks and the hdd and sata ports are working ok, I ask again if anyone found a solution to this?

Regards

All hdd are connected and working fine with DSM v 5 the error starts when I put the new bootloader and try to update to v 6, with find.synology.com or the synology assitant I get the message:

'We've detected errors on your hard drives (1,2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

again this happends on 3 baremetal servers which work fine with DSM 5 I have done data scrubbing and smart checks and the hdd and sata ports are working ok, I ask again if anyone found a solution to this?

Regards

The solution to this has been discussed over and over again. Read the OP and search the thread and if that is not enough read the tutorial (until the end) that I made and available in my signature.

Edited by Guest

Good evening,

Sorry for my english, i'm french i've a problem

Motherboard SuperMicro X7SPA-H-D510 loader jun1.0.1, can not install writes: error failure reading sector 0x363d from hd0, failure error reading sector 0x3561 from hd0, no such partition

test with other hdd (problem)

I don't understand, please help me.

Thks

Hi,

Nobody to help me?

has the new loader problems with either Jumbo Frames or an MTU value of 2000 as I have those settings set on my XOR link aggregation and I can't see my DS on the network, when I plug the cables in the onboard nic (gen8) I can set a new link aggregation without jumbo frames and mtu value of 1500 and that works fine. On my other nic (pci) i can't change the jumbo frame or mtu value

Anyone??

This was working fine on DSM5 and was working on the original loader with 6.0.2 update 2 but since updating to the new bootloader it is no longer working. (Cisco nic based on the Inter i350)

Jun, thanks for the great job.

BTW, I'm using DSM 5.2 without USB,

by installing bootloader directly into the 1st HDD.

Is USB stick mandatory to use DSM 6.0, for now?

I want Jun's answer, or else,

have anybody ever tried to migrate to 6.0, in the situation like mine?

Ive installed it on one box, but im not sure if im doing it right or not.

I want to run ESXi and xpenology as a VM on a HP Gen8 microserver.

Would I just create a new VM, then mount the synoboot.VMDK and boot off that and it will work?

Do I need to change the VID/PID and SN/MAC if im using ESXi, and if I do, do I need to get the VID/PID of the USB that ESXi runs on?

Im confused, so any help would be great. Thanks!

Have anyone able to get more than 12 disk working?

I have edit the sysinfo.conf for 24 disk. I also set the internal, esata, and usb line to the correct valve for 24 disks.

It show 24 disk and the disk are there but I cannot create a raid group or volume.

It just fails whenever I try to create one.

Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks!

I am glad to have chance to using A new loader for latest DSM, It seem everything running properly but only when I restart the machine, it will take at least 8 mins for the network startup(i mean it must take 8 mins to startup the network service for connection). Is it normal or any configuration that i need to change to speed up the network service. Thanks for your kindly help!!

DSM6.0.2-Update5

NIC model: Realtek RTL8111G x 2

Would I just create a new VM, then mount the synoboot.VMDK and boot off that and it will work?

Do I need to change the VID/PID and SN/MAC if im using ESXi, and if I do, do I need to get the VID/PID of the USB that ESXi runs on?

I just got it finally working and you have to put the VMDK and IMG file in the same datastore folder for it to work. I do see the 50MB drive now as a HDD in DSM and think I need to edit the grub file to hide it from there. But, don't know how to get the correct VID/PID :wink:

For now, i only have 4 real disks so, no issue of having an extra drive in there.

I just got it finally working and you have to put the VMDK and IMG file in the same datastore folder for it to work. I do see the 50MB drive now as a HDD in DSM and think I need to edit the grub file to hide it from there. But, don't know how to get the correct VID/PID :wink:

For now, i only have 4 real disks so, no issue of having an extra drive in there.

I am glad to see someone using the same setup as I do, and although I didn't get much respond when I faced the 50MB drive issue I solved it eventually by keep digging the web and trial n error. And I am here to provide a solution so you can save some time, and to make my 2 days of digging around more worthy! lol And I must say I don't like being asked to look up old post when I posted a question, but I do feel that it is more annoying if the same questions comes up every 4~5 pages. So please try your best to use the search function or take your time to read through the entire thread.

Now, how a true DSM actually works in a Synology machine is by booting up from its built in flash memory or DOM (in our xpenology case that would be the USB drive). At this phase, find.synology.com became accessible for the setup procedure, which intended to install the actual DSM OS onto all connected HDD (where each HDD will be partitioned to store the OS and you storage separately. It is mandatory step). Once the installation is all done, everytime when we start up the machine, the bootloader on built in flash memory (our usb drive) will run the DSM OS off the HDD. To sum up, the minimum hardware requirement would be only 1 flash memory for boot up and 1 HDD for running DSM (for our xpenology that would be 1 USB drive and 1 HDD respectively).

With the above concept in mind, when you add vmdk and img file to your datastore aka vm hdd, what it does is became the booting device (replacing the role of USB drive). So when first start up, it boot from vm hdd, initiated the setup procedure and wiped both your USB drive and hdd (worth noting there would be 3 partitions on the USB when created with rufus or related software; only the 50MB partition on USB is being wiped and the other 2 will remain. Possibly due to DSM not able to detect those 2 partitions.) For that reason there will be the 50MB HDD as well as your proper HDD appear on your DSM system. That also lead to a problem that your USB drive is not actually used for booting up; meaning any changes to PID/VID, serial no, etc, had no effect to your DSM.

To get round this, you have to ensure you are actually booting from the USB drive. From what I learnt from the internet, esxi could not boot from USB drives but you can get round this with Plop Boot Manager. While Plop has lot of great features, all we need is the bootup iso. Mount the iso to your esxi virtual CD/DVD drive and when bootup it will provide you the function of boot from usb. From there you can truely access and boot from Jun's loader off your prepared USB drive, with all the PID/VID etc config. Once all setup you will also find only the actuall HDD on DSM system; the 50MB HDD is gone as it gets ignored by the PID/VID config. One last thing to note; you don't need the "vmdk and img file to your datastore" because all you do is boot up Plop > boot up Jun's loader from USB > DSM runs off actual HDD.

Now I mentioned Plop has lot of great features, for instance you can alter it to auto boot after 5 secs count down, disable Plop's floppy drive boot option, etc. From my understanding we can only use the default settings because we can't save the changes we make on a virtual CD/DVD. Therefore by default we have to manually select "boot from usb" on plop every boot up. While it is not an issue for myself as once my NAS is on i rarely reboot or turn it off. But I would love to know if there is any work around for this, so that I could set it to auto boot after 5 secs, and potentially any other good feature too.

Thanks and hope whoever using Gen8 + esxi combination find this useful. Cheers.

Thanks and hope whoever using Gen8 + esxi combination find this useful. Cheers.

As much as I appreciate the effort :smile: I do now run DSM without the use of any flashdrive what so ever :smile:

I created a new VM where I added the VMDK (same folder as the IMG) as SATA device and a Marvel Sata card in PCI passthrough. Started the VM and all is working perfectly except that the 50MB drive is there. No need for any external device. All is inside the ESXi box :smile:

Using a J3455-ITX board

As much as I appreciate the effort :smile: I do now run DSM without the use of any flashdrive what so ever :smile:

I created a new VM where I added the VMDK (same folder as the IMG) as SATA device and a Marvel Sata card in PCI passthrough. Started the VM and all is working perfectly except that the 50MB drive is there. No need for any external device. All is inside the ESXi box :smile:

Using a J3455-ITX board

Good that you are pleased with your set up. Everyone has their own way of doing it, I just couldn't stand having the odd 50MB drive there, kind of bugs me not getting rid of it. :lol: