XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

1. You miss the point. There is no RPM signal in the connector so you can't send one. The ILO requires a different type of signal (rotation locked/tach). If you try to send a RPM signal on that wire the ILO will see the fan as faulty and shut down the system directly.

2. Not often but have I seen it happend on HP servers -yes and why take the risk when you don't have to

3. Not on a microserver. At 10% system load with 20C ambient temp (calm winter day) about 6-8% is enough. At 90% cpu load it will need at least 15-20% and the noice difference is huge so therefore a temp controlled solution is the best

4. Well, two small problems - there is no 3 or 4 pin fan connector in a microserver .......... Only a HP only six pin and there is no rpm pin in that since the ILO doesnt messure RPM. It messures temp and if the temp isn't right it orders the fan to higher speeds. The ILO will also order higher fan speeds if it can't read drive temps - Values it tries to read from the missing driver

5. Since the "problem" is that Xpenology doesn't contain the driver HP do provide - HP can't fix it but we may be able to if we include the ILO amd AMS drivers. Hence the request for including them. The ams driver was hacked into 5.X-somwthing (I read about it earlier)

Hi,

You are I think exactly correct. My HP ML10v2 runs on 6% all day when the temp here these days is between 22C to 37C during the day, when running the HP ESXi u2 with VMs on it. Only if the xpenology Vm is doing the plex transcoding or something, then the fan will go a bit higher may me 15% or 20%. But, when running baremetal it runs at 18% to start off the day at about 22C, and then keeps on going up during the day to 60% at about 31+C. Which is very annoying. So something is really missing there, and I think there are the drivers issue. I have successfully included the AMS module that I found in another forum, so I can now see the AMS data , but still the fan is issue is there.

Thanks.

Hi,

You are I think exactly correct. My HP ML10v2 runs on 6% all day when the temp here these days is between 22C to 37C during the day, when running the HP ESXi u2 with VMs on it. Only if the xpenology Vm is doing the plex transcoding or something, then the fan will go a bit higher may me 15% or 20%. But, when running baremetal it runs at 18% to start off the day at about 22C, and then keeps on going up during the day to 60% at about 31+C. Which is very annoying. So something is really missing there, and I think there are the drivers issue. I have successfully included the AMS module that I found in another forum, so I can now see the AMS data , but still the fan is issue is there.

Thanks.

Look here for how to fake the fan signal, etc..

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7294-faking-the-fan-signal/page-1

Ciao

ema

Hi all,

Is anyone able to post a proper installation guide for ESXi ona HP Microserver Gen8?

I mean, just the steps, including links to the boot loader (vmdk/img/iso) along with any other required files.

P.S.: Would it work to boot from a 6.0 loader and install the latest version from Synology.com instead of specifying a pat file?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7294-faking-the-fan-signal/page-1

Ciao

ema

No, that's more about fooling the termal protection (ie killing of the rotation detect protection) which might be a bad but unavoidable workaround if we can't fix the real problem

If you install Windows, Vmware, Redhat Enterprise, Suse, Fedora or Centos with propper drivers the fan will run at 6%.

If you instead install Xpenology the fan will be at 12-15% on exactly the same hardware under the exact same conditions.

If you dig deep into it the problem is that the ILO reads temps from all drives as a base value for it's cooling settings. In AHCI mode or in raid mode without the propper driver loaded into the running OS, the ILO can't get the temp values and therefore has to use (higher) failsafe values for the fan speed. By loading the right driver - ILO now can read the temp Values and adjust the fan speed properly

Therefore the fix is to make sure the ILO can get temps under XPenology and only if and when we know that it can't be done - then it's time for "dirty" HW hacks - prefferbly one that just adjusts the fan speed a little lower so that the protection system still works as intended.

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Thanks.

Ciao

ema

Hi,

Thanks for the link, but its a two year old link and lots has changed with the Bios and iLO fw updates. Its not the same issue as well. What we need is the drivers from HP ESXi u2 injected into xpenology like the AMS module i've managed to work. Just don't know how/where the iLO drivers. The only solution that I found that works is to disconnect the front temp sensor and makes the iLO think that its running at 0C and the fan stays at 6%. Of-course if the cpu load/temp goes up fan spins higher. There seems to be no ill-effect of disconnecting the front intake temp sensor.

By the way, DSM6 runs fine as a VM in HP ESXi u2 with no fan issues. Fan stays at 6% at any ambient temp for me. The only thing is that the HDDs wont spindown/sleep as they are running in RDM mode from the HP B120i controller.

Hi,

Thanks.

Ciao

ema

Hi,

Thanks for the link, but its a two year old link and lots has changed with the Bios and iLO fw updates. Its not the same issue as well. What we need is the drivers from HP ESXi u2 injected into xpenology like the AMS module i've managed to work. Just don't know how/where the iLO drivers. The only solution that I found that works is to disconnect the front temp sensor and makes the iLO think that its running at 0C and the fan stays at 6%. Of-course if the cpu load/temp goes up fan spins higher. There seems to be no ill-effect of disconnecting the front intake temp sensor.

By the way, DSM6 runs fine as a VM in HP ESXi u2 with no fan issues. Fan stays at 6% at any ambient temp for me. The only thing is that the HDDs wont spindown/sleep as they are running in RDM mode from the HP B120i controller.

Can you tell me how you did disconnect that sensor?

Hi mats42,

The sensor is just a cable connecting to the board. I just disconnected that cable. Its possible that your server might be different to me. On my ML10v2 the ambient/intake sensor is sitting at the front of the server, and the connector is at the bottom of the board. If you track the sensor cable , you will know where it is.

Thanks.

Hi mats42,

The sensor is just a cable connecting to the board. I just disconnected that cable. Its possible that your server might be different to me. On my ML10v2 the ambient/intake sensor is sitting at the front of the server, and the connector is at the bottom of the board. If you track the sensor cable , you will know where it is.

Thanks.

I missed that you had an ML server.

I will dig deeper and see if i can find where the sensor is on my microserver

Hi mats42,

Thanks.

I missed that you had an ML server.

I will dig deeper and see if i can find where the sensor is on my microserver

Dead Easy on the Microserver to. The Tempsensor connector is located on the inside of the powerconnector on the mainboard. It has a brown loop on it.

And removing it gives a reported 6% fanspeed on the microserver. Of course I take no responsibilty what so ever for this :smile:

Hello,

Trying to install DSM6 thorugh Jun's Mod V1.01 on baremetal HP Microserver Gen8 (Celeron G1610T) I am experiencing problems.

Installing img-File with WinDiskImager32 works without failure. When trying to boot from Stick, I get error message like "Non-System Disk"

Is there any How-To "Install DSM6 on HP Microserver Gen8"? Usead search, but could not find anything.

Support of any of the experts is appreciated.

Thanks for quick reply!

Boot order is set properly. Also tried single boot option from USB without success. :cry:

Just installing ESXi this works like a charm, so dunno what's wrong with Jun's Image.

Mounting Image as Virtual Drive on PC also does not seem to work - Shows error message when trying to open drive :twisted:

Hello,

Trying to install DSM6 thorugh Jun's Mod V1.01 on baremetal HP Microserver Gen8 (Celeron G1610T) I am experiencing problems.

Installing img-File with WinDiskImager32 works without failure. When trying to boot from Stick, I get error message like "Non-System Disk"

Is there any How-To "Install DSM6 on HP Microserver Gen8"? Usead search, but could not find anything.

Support of any of the experts is appreciated.

I would try a different stick or create a stick on a different PC. I followed the basic instructions in post 1 and my gen8 is working fine.

Hi,

Working AMS and iLO driver for dsm 6 are here

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7640&start=10#p78810

Ciao

ema

-=SUCCES: BAREMETAL N54L/4HDD/4G=-

Followed the instructions here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

Changes:

Changed the vid= using my own USB VID

Changed the pid= using my own USB PID

Changed the sn= using my own generated SN

Changed the mac1= using my own generated MAC address

Changed set timeout='1' to set timeout='10'

Changed set default='0' to set default='3' For default AMD bootoption

appended SataPortMap=4

After boot I went to find.synology.com

Updated from 5.2.5592 to 6.0.2.8451

After reboot I lost my static ip settings. I needed to set this manual again.

I updated to Update 5 without any problems.

I also saw Synology finally released Source code for branche 8451. https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/8451branch/bromolow-source/