XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

First off all:

Thank you. Great to see a new loader for DSM 6

Second:

I'm interessted at the HP Gen8 Fan-Problem too. It would be nice if the loader could fix this. I can say that many germans do dsm on a microserver gen8 :wink:

Have you read this?: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page8.html

Yes. To reduce noise you have to use raid mode. To use Raid mode you must have the driver in Xpenology - hence the requst to include it

First off all:

Thank you. Great to see a new loader for DSM 6

Second:

I'm interessted at the HP Gen8 Fan-Problem too. It would be nice if the loader could fix this. I can say that many germans do dsm on a microserver gen8 :wink:

Have you read this?: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page8.html

Yes. To reduce noise you have to use raid mode. To use Raid mode you must have the driver in Xpenology - hence the requst to include it

My gen8 updated to the latest bios/firmare/ilo in AHCI mode with 2 disk (slot 0 e 1) is very silent... ilo report fan 12%

ciao

ema

I'm going to buy an ASRock J3160-ITX or ASRock J3160DC-ITX because here this board is confirmed working (except for the turbo / boost mode). Both have 4 sata ports and the last one also has an external power supply. I'll be using only 3 disks (it's going to be a music server, 3x 4TB WD Red Raid 5) so for me it's a nice solution :wink:

The J3455itx of Asrock works also perfectly. Its faster and cheaper. Maybe you can consider it. Cheers have a good hack!

I have been looking into the noice/fan issue of the Microserver G8 (Yes - it still exists with the latest bios 15% vs 6%).

One thing that i think could be interesting to test is to include the Binary only driver for the Raid Controller (https://launchpad.net/~hp-iss-team/+arc ... hp-storage).

We know that the fan in the G8 is controlled through ILO and that the ILO needs this driver to be able to get drive temp data.

Since the Controller do support creating four Raid0 arrays of one disk each we still could let the OS do the true raid work.

Just my 2c

i would just create a new pwm controller with 2 NE555's 1 to control the actual fan itself the other for making the ilo happy. You can slowdown the fan to let say 4 or 5 % lowest possible pwm setting to let the fan rotating and the other setting pwn pulses which enters the ilo. its about 1 or 2 euro on components.something like this http://i.imgur.com/Hw1zBKO.png

Schermata_2016_12_01_alle_21_59_29.png

latest loader and latest dsm, on bare metal gen8 (upgraded cpu to i3) and disks in ahci.

Anyone showing there fan speeds, please must also mention there ambient temp reading as well. As I said, mine goes up from 18% to 60% fan speed, from 22C to 32C. Thats what my ambient temps gets to here in North Queensland Australia. While running the same bios settings in HP ESXi U2, the fan runs at 6% all day with any ambient temp. So in xpenology loader there is something missing that makes the fan goes as the ambient temp goes up.

Thanks.

I have been looking into the noice/fan issue of the Microserver G8 (Yes - it still exists with the latest bios 15% vs 6%).

One thing that i think could be interesting to test is to include the Binary only driver for the Raid wiController (https://launchpad.net/~hp-iss-team/+arc ... hp-storage).

We know that the fan in the G8 is controlled through ILO and that the ILO needs this driver to be able to get drive temp data.

Since the Controller do support creating four Raid0 arrays of one disk each we still could let the OS do the true raid work.

Just my 2c

co

i would just create a new pwm controller with 2 NE555's 1 to control the actual fan itself the other for making the ilo happy. You can slowdown the fan to let say 4 or 5 % lowest possible pwm setting to let the fan rotating and the other setting pwn pulses which enters the ilo. its about 1 or 2 euro on components.something like this http://i.imgur.com/Hw1zBKO.png

I sed a few problems with that approach.

1. the fan doesn't give an rpm signal back so you can't send a pulse based signal to the ilo. It needs a tach/rotation locked signal

2. If the fan fails, a faked signal would allow the server to overheat

3. If the temp in the server rises a fixed PWM signal would allow the server to overheat

4. Hw hacking would void warranry

5. Why do a hw workaround on what we know is a software problem instead of fixing the SW? we know that the fan will run at correct speed with the right sw

Sorry :wink:

One thing that i think could be interesting to test is to include the Binary only driver for the Raid wiController (https://launchpad.net/~hp-iss-team/+arc ... hp-storage).

Just my 2c

co

1. the fan doesn't give an rpm signal back so you can't send a pulse based signal to the ilo. It needs a tach/rotation locked signal

3. If the temp in the server rises a fixed PWM signal would allow the server to overheat

5. Why do a hw workaround on what we know is a software problem instead of fixing the SW? we know that the fan will run at correct speed with the right sw

I'm going to buy an ASRock J3160-ITX or ASRock J3160DC-ITX because here this board is confirmed working (except for the turbo / boost mode). Both have 4 sata ports and the last one also has an external power supply. I'll be using only 3 disks (it's going to be a music server, 3x 4TB WD Red Raid 5) so for me it's a nice solution :wink:

The J3455itx of Asrock works also perfectly. Its faster and cheaper. Maybe you can consider it. Cheers have a good hack!

J3455 or J4205 would be my first choice IF there were no problems. How about the sluggish behaviour you mentioned yourself here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=1490#p80898

The German site Technikaffe also reports problems with the J4205 board and Openmediafault which is also Linux (Debian 8):

http://www.technikaffe.de/anleitung-394 ... hevc_10bit

Is this solved already? I might found a solution somewhere, but I don't have this board so can't test anything :grin:

Change BIOS setting under "Advanced\CPU Configuration" and DISABLE:

- Intel SpeedStep Technology

- CPU C States Support

- Enhanced Halt State(C1E)

Let me know if this works for you!

right ... so I created a new USB with the latest loader by Jun, edited VIP, PID, serial number and mac address and booted my gen8 with the new loader, it seems to boot fine but it never appears on the network. (I run it headless and currently can't get in to ILO as an upgrade to that has locked me out of the account and I can't find the wee card with the default details)

I shut it down and plugged in my old USB which has been working fine and getting the same issue with that now?

Before I start dragging everything out the meter cupboard to a monitor, anyone got an idea of why this is happening?

Just my 2c

co

1) 2 nd NE555 gives a higher RPM pulse based signal to the ILO. So it thinks the fan is @15% actually the other NE555 is running at a noise satisfying level you control yourself,

2) Sure you are right but come on how many times did you encounter this?

3) I'm sure that when you set the rpms yourself the temperature will be at acceptable levels in all conditions. My i7 does have fixed values my case has fixed levels never had problems with temps.

4) HW hacling is not the case. You feed 2 NE555's with the original 4Pin Fan output of the motherboard (ilo) and distribute a new connection to the fan and one lead back to the pin whioch measures the RPM.

5) because you can do it yourself. The SW issue wont be fixed by HP I think.

J3455 or J4205 would be my first choice IF there were no problems. How about the sluggish behaviour you mentioned yourself here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=1490#p80898

The German site Technikaffe also reports problems with the J4205 board and Openmediafault which is also Linux (Debian 8):

http://www.technikaffe.de/anleitung-394 ... hevc_10bit

Is this solved already? I might found a solution somewhere, but I don't have this board so can't test anything :grin:

Change BIOS setting under "Advanced\CPU Configuration" and DISABLE:

- Intel SpeedStep Technology

- CPU C States Support

- Enhanced Halt State(C1E)

Let me know if this works for you!

I did a full investigation before I installed bare metal XPEnology on j3455. Indeed Debian 8 has issue and therefore OMV 3.x was working terrible slow. OMV 2.x was working perfectly though... but I needed 3 al least for Crashplan support so I skipped OMV as an alternative for XPEnology. This was verrry slow not slugish. Im aslo not quite sure about it. I also have several tasks running (audio / photo / surveillance / download station / etc) I reach 120MB/s R/W and USB issue is solved. I will change your suggestion. I also found one issue which improves responsiveness greatly. Disable memory compression. Although Synology says it is optimized for using the NAS its just a method to even lowering the amount of memory in the NASes the sell and ask more money., I threw in 8GB and turned this off. Great improvement and now im verry happy with my system!

hy all,

until now im running a the DSM 5.2-5967 on a bare metal ASROch i1900 board.

i wanna upgrade so i use for testing a small lenovo thin pc (i5 & 250GB ssd)

i prepared the usb stick to match the VID, PID & the device MAC address.

i only get it to the install part when using the force install.

on the other options the HDD is always missing....

when trying it with the force install i can select an duploiad thje v6 pat file.

but then i get error 35 (hdd cannot be formated)

can someone help me ?

greetz

has the new loader problems with either Jumbo Frames or an MTU value of 2000 as I have those settings set on my XOR link aggregation and I can't see my DS on the network, when I plug the cables in the onboard nic (gen8) I can set a new link aggregation without jumbo frames and mtu value of 1500 and that works fine. On my other nic (pci) i can't change the jumbo frame or mtu value

I did a full investigation before I installed bare metal XPEnology on j3455. Indeed Debian 8 has issue and therefore OMV 3.x was working terrible slow. OMV 2.x was working perfectly though... but I needed 3 al least for Crashplan support so I skipped OMV as an alternative for XPEnology. This was verrry slow not slugish. Im aslo not quite sure about it. I also have several tasks running (audio / photo / surveillance / download station / etc) I reach 120MB/s R/W and USB issue is solved. I will change your suggestion. I also found one issue which improves responsiveness greatly. Disable memory compression. Although Synology says it is optimized for using the NAS its just a method to even lowering the amount of memory in the NASes the sell and ask more money., I threw in 8GB and turned this off. Great improvement and now im verry happy with my system!

Thanks for sharing! 120MB is the max for ethernet, so that's fine. I'm feeling like there's no reason anymore to skip J3455 or J4205 models.... Pity there's no DC version of the J3455, this would make a perfect combination!

1) 2 nd NE555 gives a higher RPM pulse based signal to the ILO. So it thinks the fan is @15% actually the other NE555 is running at a noise satisfying level you control yourself,

3) I'm sure that when you set the rpms yourself the temperature will be at acceptable levels in all conditions. My i7 does have fixed values my case has fixed levels never had problems with temps.

4) HW hacling is not the case. You feed 2 NE555's with the original 4Pin Fan output of the motherboard (ilo) and distribute a new connection to the fan and one lead back to the pin whioch measures the RPM.

1. You miss the point. There is no RPM signal in the connector so you can't send one. The ILO requires a different type of signal (rotation locked/tach). If you try to send a RPM signal on that wire the ILO will see the fan as faulty and shut down the system directly.

2. Not often but have I seen it happend on HP servers -yes and why take the risk when you don't have to

3. Not on a microserver. At 10% system load with 20C ambient temp (calm winter day) about 6-8% is enough. At 90% cpu load it will need at least 15-20% and the noice difference is huge so therefore a temp controlled solution is the best

4. Well, two small problems - there is no 3 or 4 pin fan connector in a microserver .......... Only a HP only six pin and there is no rpm pin in that since the ILO doesnt messure RPM. It messures temp and if the temp isn't right it orders the fan to higher speeds. The ILO will also order higher fan speeds if it can't read drive temps - Values it tries to read from the missing driver

5. Since the "problem" is that Xpenology doesn't contain the driver HP do provide - HP can't fix it but we may be able to if we include the ILO amd AMS drivers. Hence the request for including them. The ams driver was hacked into 5.X-somwthing (I read about it earlier)

I'm getting errors on bare metal (using your disk image) though it's fine in Vmware.

Error is 'We've detected errors on your hard drives (1,2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

Any thoughts?

I do have a previous install on them (7393), so maybe it needs them cleaned up first?

Cheers

#H

Same here, I also have "We've detected errors on your hard drives (2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

It's a bare metal UEFI/E3815 board with wiped disks (smart ok). Any idea ?

I have the same even if i remove the hdd it shows me the same error

*EDIT*

I got it working after a restart I could use the synology assistent to Migrate/Install with the 6.0.2-8451 but now quickconnect is not working it is working on a vm

I am trying this on 3 bare metal install with precious xpenology latest 5xxx working, has anyone found a solution to this? I have tried rebooting and nothing cannot wipe since they are in production.

Regards

Hello,

i tried to install xpenology on my ASRock Rack E3C226D2I Board. I edit the grub.cfg file but the system is not found my the finder. Are the drivers not implemented for this system and have to use dsm5? Therefor i saw a lot of users which running this version.

I'd like to use btrfs so i need dsm6.

thx

I'm getting errors on bare metal (using your disk image) though it's fine in Vmware.

Error is 'We've detected errors on your hard drives (1,2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

Any thoughts?

I do have a previous install on them (7393), so maybe it needs them cleaned up first?

Cheers

#H

Same here, I also have "We've detected errors on your hard drives (2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

It's a bare metal UEFI/E3815 board with wiped disks (smart ok). Any idea ?

I have the same even if i remove the hdd it shows me the same error

*EDIT*

I got it working after a restart I could use the synology assistent to Migrate/Install with the 6.0.2-8451 but now quickconnect is not working it is working on a vm

I am trying this on 3 bare metal install with precious xpenology latest 5xxx working, has anyone found a solution to this? I have tried rebooting and nothing cannot wipe since they are in production.

Regards

Solution to what? If it's for the error stated above then you should read the OP. It's clearly stated. Make sure to plug your HDDs in the sata ports starting from the first port, usually SATA0.

For Quickconnect, this is really sad to see people trying to constantly rape Synology. Just sad.

1. You miss the point. There is no RPM signal in the connector so you can't send one. The ILO requires a different type of signal (rotation locked/tach). If you try to send a RPM signal on that wire the ILO will see the fan as faulty and shut down the system directly.

2. Not often but have I seen it happend on HP servers -yes and why take the risk when you don't have to

3. Not on a microserver. At 10% system load with 20C ambient temp (calm winter day) about 6-8% is enough. At 90% cpu load it will need at least 15-20% and the noice difference is huge so therefore a temp controlled solution is the best

4. Well, two small problems - there is no 3 or 4 pin fan connector in a microserver .......... Only a HP only six pin and there is no rpm pin in that since the ILO doesnt messure RPM. It messures temp and if the temp isn't right it orders the fan to higher speeds. The ILO will also order higher fan speeds if it can't read drive temps - Values it tries to read from the missing driver

5. Since the "problem" is that Xpenology doesn't contain the driver HP do provide - HP can't fix it but we may be able to if we include the ILO amd AMS drivers. Hence the request for including them. The ams driver was hacked into 5.X-somwthing (I read about it earlier)

I see, I was just sharing an easy/possible fix but indeed if its working different then a normal fan controller you are right. Can you swap the fan for a noctua? Sure it may void the warranty maybe but I would do it. The Gen8 entry servers are here 178 euro priced. I skipped them because of the fan issue and the ecc memory need. I made a baremetal using a j3455 motherboard build in a fractal design 6 disk nas cabinet.