XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Have you guys seen this about the 6.1 Beta, it sounds more like locking it down more, then keeping things "secure" lol.

"Package Center auto-repair: If some packages become broken after a DSM upgrade and require an update, DSM can now automatically fix them during the upgrade to ensure the entire process is smooth.

DSM code sign: Much like your phone is able to block applications from untrusted sources, your Synology NAS can also block DSM patches that don't match the right sign code, adding an extra layer of security to your stored data.

SMB 4.4 upgrade for sparse file support, saving space while archiving image files of virtual machines."

One thing that does look awesome though is the Samba 4.4 AD-DC, that is going to be a game changer for small business, I am actually looking to try to install Samba inside of Docker in DSM 6 to see if I can get that functionality now, obviously minus there new GUI for it.

I did find a post here from August of some people trying to get this working as well, maybe I can revive it heh.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18974

Also on bare metal using Jun 1.01 Update 4 installed without an issue.

Updates!

I succeed and got it Xpenology setup finally. Enlighten by post from above I came across the OVF file made and shared for use in ESXi 5.5, take a shot and use it instead of the one from op, and everything setup normally without a glitch. Worth noting I am on ESXi 6.0 not 5.5, so I am not sure if there is any issue to use that OVF, but as long as it works I am very pleased now. Thank you everyone here. Superb effort guys! cheers

If you are talking about the ESXi 5.5 OVF that I uploaded then it's the same as jun 1.01 OVF. I only made it compatible with ESXi 5.5 and the Classic vSphere Client since I don't like the web client.

Yes dynax, thanks for your input, really helped me out of the puzzle!

While everything is working fine now, including the update to 6.0.2-8451 Update 4, I am looking to streamline / enhance my set up and would appreciate some opinion related to jun's OVF file. My Gen8 is currently set up with ESXi 6.0 installed on a 16GB microSD. Jun's synoboot.img is burned to a 2GB USB drive plugged in in the motherboard USB. When deploy Jun's OVF and vmdk for the first time, a 50MB vmdk virtual HDD image is set up by defualt. Without much knowledge, I guess this is DSM's system drive. But because the entire Xpenology (including the 50MB vmdk) has to save to a datastore, I had it saved on the datastore created on my SSD drive. Now in my DSM I can see 2 drives; one 3TB HDD which is a passthrough drive, then it is this 50MB HDD (= the defult 50MB vmdk) which supposed to be for the DSM system. For sure I can't format it for use for storage as it contains the DSM system itself, but the way it shows in my DSM Disk manager seems abnormal as I have not seen anyone having this issue. May some enlighten me if I got any part of my setup wrong to cause this? Thanks.

Hi guys,

133 pages of valuable information, from what I read a lot of it - but maybe someone can explain in just a few words what to do to update my DSM 5.2 to DSM 6.0.2 on a bare metal AsRock N3150-ITX with an Intel Celeron N3150. I think this motherboard is fully supported, also the NIC, right?

I really appreciate all your efforts!

Thanks a lot and best regards

Mischa

manwald, look in the forum for polanskiman's tutorial thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100. The first post in that thread is really all you need. It walks you through creating the loader stick with jun's 1.01 loader, identifying your stick's vid/pid, editing the grub.cfg on the stick (after mounting the stick's EFI partition) to set the right vid/pid/serial number/mac address (use the serial number and mac address from your 5.2 box), and updating to 6 on your NAS. One caution from personal experience is that I tried the migration path several times and couldn't get the GUI to come back up, so I just did clean install and it went perfect. I don't use my box for much, rsync and Plex, but I can confirm those work well, and I haven't run into anything that doesn't work. Folks report that the latest update 4 installs without issue from the GUI.

About the main gotcha is if your boxes NIC isn't supported by a built-in driver. In that case you're stuck unless you know how to add the driver. For me on a bare metal Intel SS4200-E the hardware was supported OOB.

I've tried to install using ESXi. I can't seem to add the USB drive to my virtual machine so I can boot the bootloader. Anyone that can help me with how I set up ESXi to work?

Use Starwind to convert from IMG to VMDK. It will create two files, one VMDK and one VMDK flat. Upload the two VMDK files to the datastore. Create a new VM in ESXi, add a new, existing HDD, point to the VMDK without flat in the name, finish setup, start the VM, let it boot until you see "Booting the kernel" message, then go to Synology Assistant and install on the freshly created DSM (it may take a few minutes until it appears in the list). Over.

I've tried to install using ESXi. I can't seem to add the USB drive to my virtual machine so I can boot the bootloader. Anyone that can help me with how I set up ESXi to work?

Use Starwind to convert from IMG to VMDK (export as VMWare ESX Server image). It will create two files, one VMDK and one VMDK flat. Upload the two VMDK files to the datastore. Create a new VM in ESXi, add a new, existing HDD, point to the VMDK without flat in the name, finish setup, start the VM, let it boot until you see "Booting the kernel" message, then go to Synology Assistant and install on the freshly created DSM (it may take a few minutes until it appears in the list). Over.

[...]

Looks like I found my issue.

My machines has C2000 SoC I354 Quad GbE NIC controllers & LSI SAS 9211-8i. [...]

A new loader with included drivers will be out in the coming days. Stay tuned.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sorry to ask, but is there an approximate ETA on this new loader with the included drivers for the i354?

I have a minor issue, when I reboot XPE a small customisation is lost; a change to /etc/passwd

Until I modify it, a few packages wedding launch (as I changed the user they run as).

Any idea what's causing it, or is it just a DSM6 thing, as it was fine on previous versions.

Hello there,

I downloaded the jun-intel-baremetal-hybrid-uefibios.zip, and the use of U disk boot my computer with bios boot, but the following interface, no longer continue Boot:

Early console in decompress_kernel

Decompressing Linux ... Parsing ELF ... done.

Booting the kernel.

I apologize for my poor English

Hello there,

I downloaded the jun-intel-baremetal-hybrid-uefibios.zip, and the use of U disk boot my computer with bios boot, but the following interface, no longer continue Boot:

Booting the kernel.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

Refer to my previous question, I was able to install DSM 6 on my SSD drive. But the OVF file had a 50MB virtual Disk default setting (assume thats where the DSM install to) which also recognized by DSM itself as a HDD in Disk Manager (See attached photos). I am wondering if I have done anything step wrong to cause this issue? Don't seem to see other people experience the same. Any thing I can do to disable it from Disk Manager? Thanks.

YTLvc4K.jpg

amZNtul.jpg

Hi.

after upload pat file, i see

http://shot.qip.ru/00G2wu-5Tn5eg6Ox/

"Failed to install the file. Maybe the file is corrupted.(13)"

boot menu - force install (DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01), pat file from synology (DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat), manual install

I'm doing a clean install

What is wrong?

SOLVED

I changed the usb stick.

Hello there,

Booting the kernel.

From there onwards, you need to go to your web browser, type in find.synology.com that will lead you to setting DSM up.

Hi!

I have a baremetal installation on HP n54l, all work fine but some issues with virtualization: DSM Virtual Manager doesn't see any vSwitch networks, dmesg has a line: "kvm: no hardware support".

Seems that is broken AMD kvm support in kernel. Try to build mod kvm-amd, but unsuccessful (insmod return error and dmesg has: version magic '3.10.77 SMP mod_unload modversions ' should be '3.10.77 SMP mod_unload ').

Anybody has same issue? Tried to fix? Thanks.

Use Starwind to convert from IMG to VMDK (export as VMWare ESX Server image). It will create two files, one VMDK and one VMDK flat. Upload the two VMDK files to the datastore. Create a new VM in ESXi, add a new, existing HDD, point to the VMDK without flat in the name, finish setup, start the VM, let it boot until you see "Booting the kernel" message, then go to Synology Assistant and install on the freshly created DSM (it may take a few minutes until it appears in the list). Over.

Thanks! I've managed to boot it and install DSM! Just this kind of step-by-step guide a newbie like me needs.

I've added a couple of VDs but DSM doesn't seem to be able to breate a RAID group or even format them. Any ideas on what I'm doing worng?