XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Hi

I am currently on DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 running on a HP NL54.

Does anyone have any instrunction how to upgrade to DMS 6?

Is it just the case of writing synoboot.img from the DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01.zip to USB and rebooting, then doing the same as before select install/upgrade, then migration from within Synology Assistant?

many thanks

Hi

I am currently on DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 running on a HP NL54.

Does anyone have any instrunction how to upgrade to DMS 6?

Is it just the case of writing synoboot.img from the DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01.zip to USB and rebooting, then doing the same as before select install/upgrade, then migration from within Synology Assistant?

many thanks

Maybe you should use 10 min to read this

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

it should answer your questions

Are there any moves to make it an official bootloader or for the team to take this and improve on it like previous 5.2 releases?

Or are they still waiting for Synology to release the source?

If so I am still a bit undecided... I have no need for DSM 6 except my own desire to be on the latest and greatest!

But if it would be worth waiting a few more months I can do that too :sad:

What you're saying is my thought.

I successfully built a new DSM 6.0.2 Nas and planed to move my data to this one. Unfortunately some of my drives down yesterday for unknown reason that made my volume degraded/ crashed. Lucky enough I didn't move my data yet. Although a reboot could fix the issue, but it's definitely unsafe for my valuable data at all. It scares me a lot. If I have to choose between DSM 6.0 and the data, I'll pick my valuable data and stay back at DSM 5.2 for sure. For me, it's no rush and (like you) I can wait for a few more months. :mrgreen:

Deprecated, see OP.

----------------------

Hi guys,

Here is my updated ramdisk.lzma: https://mega.nz/#!KBFRxZiY!m_w2uCnUvTyH2leI6hKn1GMDbGRV6MeOLmUFrzHc4R0

Backup your existing ramdisk.lzma (for sure) from image/DS3615xs/ on your usb boot drive and replace it with the ramdisk.lzma from archive.

Or download complete img file:

Change log:

Added below kernel modules:

r8101: RTL8100E/RTL8101E/RTL8102E-GR/RTL8103E(L) RTL8102E(L)/RTL8101E/RTL8103T RTL8401/RTL8401P/RTL8105E RTL8402/RTL8106E/RTL8106EUS

r8168: RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168 RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L) RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E

r8168: RTL8168E/RTL8111F/RTL8411 RTL8111G/RTL8111GUS/RTL8411B(N) RTL8118AS

* Note: r8169 from Trantor archive doesn't work with my on-board Realtek RTL8111GR. So I kept the existing which is also much bigger.

e1000e: 82573L/82572EI/82571EB/82573E/82573V/82567/82574L/82566MM/82566MC

e1000e: 82566DM/82566DC/82563EB/82574IT/82583V/82579LM/82579V/82577LC/82577LM

e1000e: 82578DC/82578DM/Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter/PRO/1000 PT/PF/I217-LM/V/I218-V/LM/I219 LM/V

bnx2: Broadcom NetXtremeII BCM5706/BCM5708/5709/5716

bnx2x: Broadcom NetXtremeII 10Gb BCM57710/BCM57711/BCM57711E/BCM57712

tg3: Broadcom Tigon3 BCM5705/BCM5703/BCM5702/BCM5701/BCM5700/BCM5721/BCM5751/BCM5788/BCM5704/BCM5752/BCM5789

tg3 : BCM5723/BCM5761/BCM5787/BCM5755/BCM5722/BCM5754/BCM57781/BCM57785/BCM5718BCM57765/BCM57761

tg3: BCM5719/BCM5725/BCM5762/BCM5720/BCM57790/BCM57795/BCM57766/BCM57780

* Note: Existing modules updated with version from Trantor archive. I also added missing firmware files.

ax88179_178a : ASIX AX88179/178A USB 3.0/2.0 to Gigabit Ethernet

mpt2sas: LSI SAS 6Gb/s Host Adapters SAS2004, SAS2008, SAS2108, SAS2116, SAS2208, SAS2308 and SSS6200

* Note: It's already included in existing ramdisk but not loaded. By dmesg it's started correctly.

evdev, button: for acpid

Compiling any disk adapter modules is not possible at the moment due to unexported syno_libata_get_index function (declared in libata-core). So only way to fix it is recompile kernel (we don't have latest kernel sources to do that) or somehow modify drive adapter sources to not depends on syno_libata_get_index function.

Edit:

Files moved to mega.nz from my webhosting.

Hi Arcao,

Any particular reason that a module for the Intel 82576 (Dual-Port) was excluded?

I have DSM 5.2 currently working on a Supermicro X8DTI-F, but when I follow the DSM 6 upgrade process outlined by Jun in this post the Synology Assistant fails to find my NAS.

Having worked through all the checks mentioned in this post (VID/PID/SN/MAC etc.) I can only conclude that Jun's/your loader does not have a module for my NIC.

If I am correct is there any chance that you will address this in your next update of the loader?

Many thanks,

Gigaset

Thank you Jun for developing this amazing bootloader.

I recently bought a Gen8 and wanted to install xpenology to it under esxi. Prior to the actual installation I ran the same setup (ie xpenology on esxi on a virtual machine) on VMWare Workstation to experiment and it all worked fine.

However when I try to do the same on the actual Gen8, I got stuck at the stage where I had to burn the bootloader to USB drive and edit the grub file. I tried 2 different computers to do the burn to usb procedure, and tried 2 different USB drive to burn to, but still not success. The problem is that after burned to the usb drive, both computers no longer can read the usb drive's content. The drive is basically not displayed on the "Computer" where you usually see all your C: D: etc. When check using Disk Manager, the USB drive does show it has 4 partitions but you cannot access it. I went and plug the USB drive to my Gen8 and it does boot up correctly and I could start the DSM setup with not problem using find.synology.com (however I didn't proceed further because I have not changed the VID PID and sata_map on the grub file yet). I suspect it was the synoboot.img file i downloaded causing all these problem, so I tried to extract it with WinRAR and osfmount (as another post here mentioned) but could not open with error saying the file may be corrupted. To verify, I downloaded the same file with different computer and even tried the v1.0 but all remain not working.

Can someone point me to the right direction? I really have tried but I think the problem is something outside of my current knowledge and really want to get it sorted as I see many people have succeed and only me who faces such issue. Thanks.

1 - With Jun's loader v1.0 and V1.01 if you are under Windows 10, after you burn the image to the flash drive the partition with the content should normally show in your file explorer. If you are in Windows 7/XP or basically anything under Windows 10 then you will need to edit the grub file in the .img file first then burn it to the flash dirve. Or if you have a MAC you can mount the EFI partition of the flash drive through a few commands that I will omit here for the sake of simplicity. I have already made a post about it so you can search the thread.

2 - If you wish to modify directly the .img file then you need to use OSFmount. Launch OSFmount, select Mount New, then select the .img to open, then select partition 0 (the one that is 30 MB). Click ok. Then at the bottom of the window make sure to untick the "Read only drive". Click ok. The EFI partition should now be mounted in file explorer. You can now edit the grub.cfg file. Save any changes you made. Done. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

Hey Polanskimanm, it worked!!!! Thanks so much for your explanation.

Now I advanced few steps further and got stuck again! :lol:

Basically this time I am creating the VM on esxi 6. During my previous test run on Workstation, simply drag and drop the ds3615.ovf and synoboot.vmdk into the create new VM procedure and the vm will be all setup and ready to turn on; I had no problem there. But this time on the Gen8, the ovf + vmdk just don't work. I tried on both the web client and the downloaded vsphere client but neither create the vm successfully. Seeing many people had it worked makes me wonder if there is anything thing wrong with my machine even it is like few days old. I installed esxi 6 and updated to the latest service pack both obtained from HPE website, so they should be legit and theoretically nothing could go wrong.

Really appreciate your input here. Thanks.

I recently bought a Gen8 and wanted to install xpenology to it under esxi. Prior to the actual installation I ran the same setup (ie xpenology on esxi on a virtual machine) on VMWare Workstation to experiment and it all worked fine.

However when I try to do the same on the actual Gen8, I got stuck at the stage where I had to burn the bootloader to USB drive and edit the grub file. I tried 2 different computers to do the burn to usb procedure, and tried 2 different USB drive to burn to, but still not success. The problem is that after burned to the usb drive, both computers no longer can read the usb drive's content. The drive is basically not displayed on the "Computer" where you usually see all your C: D: etc. When check using Disk Manager, the USB drive does show it has 4 partitions but you cannot access it. I went and plug the USB drive to my Gen8 and it does boot up correctly and I could start the DSM setup with not problem using find.synology.com (however I didn't proceed further because I have not changed the VID PID and sata_map on the grub file yet). I suspect it was the synoboot.img file i downloaded causing all these problem, so I tried to extract it with WinRAR and osfmount (as another post here mentioned) but could not open with error saying the file may be corrupted. To verify, I downloaded the same file with different computer and even tried the v1.0 but all remain not working.

Can someone point me to the right direction? I really have tried but I think the problem is something outside of my current knowledge and really want to get it sorted as I see many people have succeed and only me who faces such issue. Thanks.

1 - With Jun's loader v1.0 and V1.01 if you are under Windows 10, after you burn the image to the flash drive the partition with the content should normally show in your file explorer. If you are in Windows 7/XP or basically anything under Windows 10 then you will need to edit the grub file in the .img file first then burn it to the flash dirve. Or if you have a MAC you can mount the EFI partition of the flash drive through a few commands that I will omit here for the sake of simplicity. I have already made a post about it so you can search the thread.

2 - If you wish to modify directly the .img file then you need to use OSFmount. Launch OSFmount, select Mount New, then select the .img to open, then select partition 0 (the one that is 30 MB). Click ok. Then at the bottom of the window make sure to untick the "Read only drive". Click ok. The EFI partition should now be mounted in file explorer. You can now edit the grub.cfg file. Save any changes you made. Done. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

Hey Polanskimanm, it worked!!!! Thanks so much for your explanation.

Now I advanced few steps further and got stuck again! :lol:

Basically this time I am creating the VM on esxi 6. During my previous test run on Workstation, simply drag and drop the ds3615.ovf and synoboot.vmdk into the create new VM procedure and the vm will be all setup and ready to turn on; I had no problem there. But this time on the Gen8, the ovf + vmdk just don't work. I tried on both the web client and the downloaded vsphere client but neither create the vm successfully. Seeing many people had it worked makes me wonder if there is anything thing wrong with my machine even it is like few days old. I installed esxi 6 and updated to the latest service pack both obtained from HPE website, so they should be legit and theoretically nothing could go wrong.

Really appreciate your input here. Thanks.

I shall be more specific. When I use vsphere client to deploy the ovf file, i received and error message "Failed to deploy OVF package", "IO error", etc. To test if it is hardware issue or not, I have just created a OSX vm which run beautifully. That kind of proofs my HDD and Gen8, SSD drives are normal and lead to the suspect of OVF file, or another scenario of my lack of knowledge in xpenology. Again, Thanks.

I have looked everywhere on the internet and in my hp gen7 specs, i can't find how to configure the sata option for the N54L with 5 disks installed.

Is there a risk to test several ? Like 41, 50 or 401 ?

Just upgraded my N54L. You need to ensure you delay first menu Timeout to 5 sec. so you can select the AMD boot. Just set VID and PID (and MAC/Serial if needed). No Sata port settings required.

Thanks I will try it out. Do you need to select it at each boot or only for the first installation ?

Anyone gotten an LSI SAS 12 Gig 3108 using ESXI passthrough working in for any of these 6.0.2 loaders? I've tried many of them and have yet to see the drives show up. When I passthrough the controller to Ubuntu, I see them as:

LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 01)

but I don't see them on the latest Jun release.

Any pointers (grub parameters?) appreciated.

thx

Bump

I shall be more specific. When I use vsphere client to deploy the ovf file, i received and error message "Failed to deploy OVF package", "IO error", etc. To test if it is hardware issue or not, I have just created a OSX vm which run beautifully. That kind of proofs my HDD and Gen8, SSD drives are normal and lead to the suspect of OVF file, or another scenario of my lack of knowledge in xpenology. Again, Thanks.

Updates!

I succeed and got it Xpenology setup finally. Enlighten by post from above I came across the OVF file made and shared for use in ESXi 5.5, take a shot and use it instead of the one from op, and everything setup normally without a glitch. Worth noting I am on ESXi 6.0 not 5.5, so I am not sure if there is any issue to use that OVF, but as long as it works I am very pleased now. Thank you everyone here. Superb effort guys! cheers

I wanted to post some pictures but I get the error that this board has exceeded its quota for attachments.

So my system sees all the disks in Storage Manager. The 8TB drive is initialized and in an unused state. When I go to create a volume, the "Create" is greyed out not letting me create a new volume and add the 8TB drive to the system. Otherwise, everything else works great!

Your post count maybe too low to add images?

Have you tried adding a disk group and then adding the volume after that?

Anyone have this problem? The option to create new volume is greyed out. This is a drive that was a volume2 before with the DSM5.2. I could try formatting the drive in an external and then sticking it in the system but I would lose the data on it. Just wanted to find out if anyone else had this issue? I am sure there is a way to go in CLI and mount or change some setting so storage manager will see this.

I wanted to post some pictures but I get the error that this board has exceeded its quota for attachments.

So my system sees all the disks in Storage Manager. The 8TB drive is initialized and in an unused state. When I go to create a volume, the "Create" is greyed out not letting me create a new volume and add the 8TB drive to the system. Otherwise, everything else works great!

Your post count maybe too low to add images?

Have you tried adding a disk group and then adding the volume after that?

Anyone have this problem? The option to create new volume is greyed out. This is a drive that was a volume2 before with the DSM5.2. I could try formatting the drive in an external and then sticking it in the system but I would lose the data on it. Just wanted to find out if anyone else had this issue? I am sure there is a way to go in CLI and mount or change some setting so storage manager will see this.

I think you have to first create a Raid Group before you create a volume. I am kind of new to DSM but from the playing around of DSM 6 as my first encountered version, I was searching very hard to try creating a volume before grouping it as it was how they teach you doing it on the SynoWiki. I believe they turn the process around from DSM 6 and I am not sure how you should set it up if you are upgrading from DSM 5.x; sure others with more experience can share their thought on this.

The new kernel will not in effect, unless manually copy it to the right place.

Since Intel machines are in fact using unmodified synology kernel, I am considering restructure the boot partition's to closely match synology's, so that new kernel will take effect automatically, but this has the potential risk of a small upgrade may break a working system.

Update 4 is out...I update my test machine without problem.

As you have explained, if the update contains a new kernel, this will not be active.

If I want to test the new kernel from update 3, which file I have to copy where?

Ciao

ema

Hi, I can confirm it does work on HP gen8

It does work using the microSD?

I've identified the PID&VID of the MicroSD reader

P: Vendor=0424 ProdID=4030 Rev= 2.10
S: Manufacturer=Generic
S: Product=Ultra Fast Media Reader

I can Install dsm 6, but on normal boot, I cannot access the NAS via normal boot.

http://find.synology.com/ does not detect the NAS or Synology Assistant.

http://imgur.com/a/jcQRc

Hi guys,

133 pages of valuable information, from what I read a lot of it - but maybe someone can explain in just a few words what to do to update my DSM 5.2 to DSM 6.0.2 on a bare metal AsRock N3150-ITX with an Intel Celeron N3150. I think this motherboard is fully supported, also the NIC, right?

I really appreciate all your efforts!

Thanks a lot and best regards

Mischa

Now I tested it with an AMD 350M1 USB 2.0 motherboard in combination with

2 Western Digital Red EFRX's and 2 Western Digital Blacks (Sata300), all

working in fine order.

I saw on this forum some complaints about synoboot not installing after 56%. I had the same problem and this solution worked for me, I cannot

promise it does work for you, in all of our invidiual cases.

This is my advice:

Take a Windows machine and clean your drives with the following commands.

----Windows (7,8,8.1,10,server)----

Open (Administrator) Command (CMD)

Type : diskpart

Type : list disk

Type : select disk (xx) (Where xx is your number of 'wanted' harddrive for your Synoboot Rig without the ( ) ).

Type clean all

!!!

Wait for an 15 minutes or so, depending on your size and capacity.

You can select the command 'clean', but this is not so thorough as 'clean all', but it is faster.

!!!

In the meanwhile create your "usb stick" with synoboot that I provide as an attachement.

I REMIND YOU > THIS IS BASED ON AMD's BAREMETAL RIG's!

Create USB-stick > USB Stick (AMD)(Alt)

I already enhanced/alternated the VID > PID with this image and should work

on almost any AMD > Baremetal Rig with SATA300 > 600. If you are familiar with Linux you can install your SATA Controller drivers, but then again,

feel free to test it yourself!

Right, after Diskpart stated that your drives where cleaned succesfully go to the next step!

Plug your USB Stick in to your AMD (Synoboot RIG) machine.

Plug your SATA Harddrives in to your AMD (Synoboot RIG) machine.

Boot up

Now wait for 1 or 2 minutes and then go to the following website: http://find.synology.com

Now run the wizard with the latest (at these times) DSM 6.0.2 PAT file found on the http://synology.comwebsite

I REMIND YOU Once more : 12-BAY > DS3615XS.

If it asking to install the latest DSM version, just do it manually, in the future this won't work with the provided image!(My image: USB Stick (AMD))

Do not ENABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES.

It should work just fine from here!

Happy NASsing!

https://mega.nz/#!q0pz1IgQ

Updates!

I succeed and got it Xpenology setup finally. Enlighten by post from above I came across the OVF file made and shared for use in ESXi 5.5, take a shot and use it instead of the one from op, and everything setup normally without a glitch. Worth noting I am on ESXi 6.0 not 5.5, so I am not sure if there is any issue to use that OVF, but as long as it works I am very pleased now. Thank you everyone here. Superb effort guys! cheers

If you are talking about the ESXi 5.5 OVF that I uploaded then it's the same as jun 1.01 OVF. I only made it compatible with ESXi 5.5 and the Classic vSphere Client since I don't like the web client.

So, please help me here:

HP Microserver gen8 bare, with latest 5.2.

1. using Micro I've managed to install DSM 6.0.2, with Upgrade option. (Boot option 2)

2. On restart, I choose boot option (1), but after that, I cannot connect to my NAS and it's not found by Syno Assist or http://find.synology.com/

xHQeAXq.png

I choose to migrate data, not a clean install.

I repeated this with an USB drive (Kingston), with the same result!

What is wrong?