XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

where is synoinfo.conf?? I cant find it!!please someone could tell me it

Use ssh and look in /etc and also /etc.defaults both contain different versions of synoinfo.conf.

/etc.defaults is required for certain changes that will only become persistent when the change is applied to synoinfo.conf in that location.

Edit

After upgrading to DSM6 the root account will be independent of the primary admin account for increased security. You need to login with the primary account and password for your ssh session. Then use "sudo su -" or you can find instructions to set a pw for the root account. There is info about changing the root pw here > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=420#p74492 .

are you sure you got vid & pid correctly modified? try redownload pat file maybe, i have a gen8 and everything when smooth from 5.2

vid&pid are correct

redownload doesn't work

I receive some error about port23, wireless & Co, but all ports are ok in router for that device.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Guest

On an AsRock Q1900 ITX i just edited grub.cfg with OSFMount (just remember to select all partitions and untick read only in options and save it) before burning it to the usb drive .

Worked like a charm..

Now i am on DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 3

Thnx again for everyone's contribution.

P.s As for USB drive i use these as they always work with synoboot until now

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/162061688953

I hope restore config saved in 5.2 will work. :smile:

Not sure using a restore from an older version is a good idea. :???:

Restore config works great. That's actually a a step to move from ext4 to btrfs

That's good to know.

Personally I would be very wary of using old config restores especially when it involves major versions. Config's handled by a migration script may handle conflicts by design, where as a straight restore may not handle them as expected? I would rather not assume especially when it has the potential to make a recovery difficult, if vital parameters have been filled with garbage or the files get totally trashed. If you know for sure there's no risk then obviously that's a different kettle of fish.

So wait... Is this a new bootloader we can use to upgrade from DSM 5 to DSM 6?

If so without going back through 130 pages, could anyone please point me in the right direction to upgrade from 5.2-5967.1 (17/07/2016) to your 6.0.2?

And is this running fine on normal setups not just on VM's?

So I can upgrade my current box?

Thanks all, and appreciate your hard work.

OK I tried building hyper-v network modules for multiple users asking for a Hyper-V image.

Copying the .ko modules from different won't work, obviously.

I've setup the toolchain for DSM6.0 and used the sources from github (https://github.com/quiknick/7274-kernel).

A quick chroot to the toolchain dev env for x86_64 and make oldconfig.

Followed by the module itself:

[root@ubuntu16desktop 7274-kernel]# make M=./drivers/net/hyperv/

WARNING: Symbol version dump /7274-kernel/Module.symvers

is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

Building modules, stage 2.

MODPOST 0 modules

Edit: should clarify: The module isn't found so it won't build. The 4.4 linux kernel source doesn't suffer from this.. anyone have any leads?

Edited by Guest

Hello! I have DSM6.0.2 with the updates working on my bare metal installation. I have 4 disks (Raid5), one SSD 128GB (SSD Cache), and one 8TB which was just for backup purpose. In the grub file, I put 6 drives for sataportmap. I see all the drives but can not add the 8TB as a separate volume (Volume 2). When I go to the storage manager, the "Create" under volume is greyed out. Is there something I am missing? I am not sure which ram version I am using in the boot disk.

If so without going back through 130 pages, could anyone please point me in the right direction to upgrade from 5.2-5967.1 (17/07/2016) to your 6.0.2?

Read Jun's opening post in this thread and read this post > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100 and yes it works for Baremetal builds. Not all the drivers that have been supported in the past are available using Jun's loader though, which could be an issue if your hardware isn't supported.

I wanted to post some pictures but I get the error that this board has exceeded its quota for attachments.

So my system sees all the disks in Storage Manager. The 8TB drive is initialized and in an unused state. When I go to create a volume, the "Create" is greyed out not letting me create a new volume and add the 8TB drive to the system. Otherwise, everything else works great!

I wanted to post some pictures but I get the error that this board has exceeded its quota for attachments.

So my system sees all the disks in Storage Manager. The 8TB drive is initialized and in an unused state. When I go to create a volume, the "Create" is greyed out not letting me create a new volume and add the 8TB drive to the system. Otherwise, everything else works great!

Your post count maybe too low to add images?

Have you tried adding a disk group and then adding the volume after that?

I hope restore config saved in 5.2 will work. :smile:

Not sure using a restore from an older version is a good idea. :???:

Restore config works great. That's actually a a step to move from ext4 to btrfs

You are lucky. I read several reports where people had upgraded to dsm 6.0 then used their dsm 5.2 backed up config file to restore their config and hell broke lose.

On an AsRock Q1900 ITX i just edited grub.cfg with OSFMount (just remember to select all partitions and untick read only in options and save it) before burning it to the usb drive .

Worked like a charm..

Now i am on DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 3

Thnx again for everyone's contribution.

P.s As for USB drive i use these as they always work with synoboot until now

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/162061688953

Selecting and opening the partition where the grub file is located is enough. It's the 30 or so MB partition.

Thank you Jun for developing this amazing bootloader.

I recently bought a Gen8 and wanted to install xpenology to it under esxi. Prior to the actual installation I ran the same setup (ie xpenology on esxi on a virtual machine) on VMWare Workstation to experiment and it all worked fine.

However when I try to do the same on the actual Gen8, I got stuck at the stage where I had to burn the bootloader to USB drive and edit the grub file. I tried 2 different computers to do the burn to usb procedure, and tried 2 different USB drive to burn to, but still not success. The problem is that after burned to the usb drive, both computers no longer can read the usb drive's content. The drive is basically not displayed on the "Computer" where you usually see all your C: D: etc. When check using Disk Manager, the USB drive does show it has 4 partitions but you cannot access it. I went and plug the USB drive to my Gen8 and it does boot up correctly and I could start the DSM setup with not problem using find.synology.com (however I didn't proceed further because I have not changed the VID PID and sata_map on the grub file yet). I suspect it was the synoboot.img file i downloaded causing all these problem, so I tried to extract it with WinRAR and osfmount (as another post here mentioned) but could not open with error saying the file may be corrupted. To verify, I downloaded the same file with different computer and even tried the v1.0 but all remain not working.

Can someone point me to the right direction? I really have tried but I think the problem is something outside of my current knowledge and really want to get it sorted as I see many people have succeed and only me who faces such issue. Thanks.

Thank you Jun for developing this amazing bootloader.

I recently bought a Gen8 and wanted to install xpenology to it under esxi. Prior to the actual installation I ran the same setup (ie xpenology on esxi on a virtual machine) on VMWare Workstation to experiment and it all worked fine.

However when I try to do the same on the actual Gen8, I got stuck at the stage where I had to burn the bootloader to USB drive and edit the grub file. I tried 2 different computers to do the burn to usb procedure, and tried 2 different USB drive to burn to, but still not success. The problem is that after burned to the usb drive, both computers no longer can read the usb drive's content. The drive is basically not displayed on the "Computer" where you usually see all your C: D: etc. When check using Disk Manager, the USB drive does show it has 4 partitions but you cannot access it. I went and plug the USB drive to my Gen8 and it does boot up correctly and I could start the DSM setup with not problem using find.synology.com (however I didn't proceed further because I have not changed the VID PID and sata_map on the grub file yet). I suspect it was the synoboot.img file i downloaded causing all these problem, so I tried to extract it with WinRAR and osfmount (as another post here mentioned) but could not open with error saying the file may be corrupted. To verify, I downloaded the same file with different computer and even tried the v1.0 but all remain not working.

Can someone point me to the right direction? I really have tried but I think the problem is something outside of my current knowledge and really want to get it sorted as I see many people have succeed and only me who faces such issue. Thanks.

1 - With Jun's loader v1.0 and V1.01 if you are under Windows 10, after you burn the image to the flash drive the partition with the content should normally show in your file explorer. If you are in Windows 7/XP or basically anything under Windows 10 then you will need to edit the grub file in the .img file first then burn it to the flash dirve. Or if you have a MAC you can mount the EFI partition of the flash drive through a few commands that I will omit here for the sake of simplicity. I have already made a post about it so you can search the thread.

2 - If you wish to modify directly the .img file then you need to use OSFmount. Launch OSFmount, select Mount New, then select the .img to open, then select partition 0 (the one that is 30 MB). Click ok. Then at the bottom of the window make sure to untick the "Read only drive". Click ok. The EFI partition should now be mounted in file explorer. You can now edit the grub.cfg file. Save any changes you made. Done. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

Read Jun's opening post in this thread and read this post > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100 and yes it works for Baremetal builds. Not all the drivers that have been supported in the past are available using Jun's loader though, which could be an issue if your hardware isn't supported.

Thanks for the link!

Will follow that through.

Are there any moves to make it an official bootloader or for the team to take this and improve on it like previous 5.2 releases?

Or are they still waiting for Synology to release the source?

If so I am still a bit undecided... I have no need for DSM 6 except my own desire to be on the latest and greatest!

But if it would be worth waiting a few more months I can do that too :sad: