XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I update from 5.2 to 6.0.2 Up3. I used last loader v1.01 on USB only..

I have Amd Cpu integrated mainboard QC5000-ITX/PH, and apparently all is working!! :grin:

Lan is Ok, Programs works Ok, 3 Sata disk working Ok, total memory is Ok too..

Do you want some additional test??

I'm a little noob on this, but if you guide me, I can do it! :wink:

Hey guys,

if I want to edit and repack the synoboot.img to use it in my unRAID VM, what Software do I use? In 7 Zip I can´t edit the file as it´s read only mode. I´d like to change the MAC/SN in grub.cfg.

Thanks

Christian

Hi, try this http://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

It works! Fantastic. :smile: Thank you

First of all - many thanks for the work which has gone into this - I currently using a DSM 5.2 for quite a while and just tried to migrate to 6 using 1.01 loader. By the looks my network drivers seem missing though - I am using an Asus P5N7A mainboard. Any help in how I can add the needed drivers would be gr8.

Thx

dh4736

Hi Community,

I created a simple video to show the beginner how to prepare the Synoboot.img bootable device and also how to find your pendrive VID and PID.

Below is the youtube link.

Hope this will help the beginner on the preparation.

Thank you.

Jason

EasyTech

Thank you so much mate :- that was a big help for a noob like me.

Can I use the same method to upgrade (not a fresh install) from DSM 5.2-5644 on a barmetal mini computer (lenovo M700) to DSM 6.0.2 without data loss on the SSD ?

Thanx in advnced

Common guys cant wait for one to confirm the above - holding back couse of my lack of experience- Hope some one who knows if I preb. the USB with the latest boot image ver. 1.0.1 and install the DSM 6.0.2 over DSM 5.2-5644 will it merge my existing data on the HD and I can continue where I left off when it was on DSM 5.2 ?

PC= lenovo M700 tiny.

Thanx

Hi boOmLa,

Yes, please follow the tutorial that shared by Dfds. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

I did a testing on my another machine, 5.2 - 6.0 without problem.

However, still recommend you to back up the data and configuration file.

Also please make sure your computer have all the driver packed inside the Synoboot.img

Thank you.

Regards,

Jason

EasyTech

Hi all,

anyone tryied to import VM into QNAP Virtualization Station?

Im getting this error: (0.00/100%)\\rqemu-img: Could not open /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/VirtualPC/Syno6/DS3615xs/synoboot.vmdk: Invalid extent lines:RW 102400 VMFS synoboot.img 0# The Disk Data Base #DDBddb.adapterType = lsilogicddb.deletable = trueddb.encoding = UTF-8ddb.longContentID = 7e24a756b77e33e24ac940cc6ccf51e5ddb.thinProvisioned = 1ddb.uuid = 60 00 C2 9a ee da ca 33-df 5e 04 3f 80 55 f9 62ddb.virtualHWVersion = 10

When i create own virtual machine without importing and then try to start i get this:

(0x1) internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2016-11-13T12:42:09.320176Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/VirtualPC/Syno6/DS3615xs/synoboot.img,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0,format=qcow2,cache=writeback: Image is not in qcow2 format .

Image is not in qcow2 format?

Thanks for any suggestions, Vitek

EDIT: Figured it out...

First what is needed is to modify .vmx file, because VMware ESXi does not support HW version 12, just edit it to 11 or 10. Then there is no prolem to import it to ESXi and afterwards export OVF template. I exported it as OVA and imported do Qnap. If anyone is interrested i can share link with ova.

Test i did :

I build a VM with XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5967.1, and install the latest compatible version of DSM.

Then, i create 4 disk of 10 Go, and use RAID5 to create 1 volume.

I copy fiew thing inside the Volume (2630 files, 265 folder, 4.3 Go).

Now it's time to "upgrade"...

So i shutdown the VM (in fact, shutdown the NAS from the web interface), then i copy all new file from BootLoader V1.01, edit the VM setting and manually added existing VMDK (Disk1 to 4) ... In the non-VmWorld.. it's like create a new USB drive, and boot from it !

Then i use the "find.synology.com", Click on "install" and "migration", and manual install the new version of DSM (dowloaded from Synology Website).

Once reboot, i log into the new NAS. My old password was still working !

And the "Test" folder i create inside was still there !

I did that because when i update my DS410 from DSM4 to DSM5, it change a lot (like the file format from ext2or3 to ext4). I was thinking that i lost all of my data... but it was not the case, the Volume was still there. Only lost all setting from the NAS (username, installed package,...). So i re-create the username, then added to me the right to see all Shared folder that was not visible ... and everyhting return to normal !

What you have done here is very very much appreciated - really BIG thanx to find time to build at test environment to help - BIG thanx mate and keep up the good work and spirit :smile:

Hi boOmLa,

Yes, please follow the tutorial that shared by Dfds. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

I did a testing on my another machine, 5.2 - 6.0 without problem.

However, still recommend you to back up the data and configuration file.

Also please make sure your computer have all the driver packed inside the Synoboot.img

Thank you.

Regards,

Jason

EasyTech

Hay Jason, thanx for the reply mate - I did forllow the youtube video and Dfds tutorial... Now I'am on DSM 6.0.2 :smile:

One thing I've encountered when updating from http://find.synology.com/ (browser)- keept getting error like no disk were found and serial port disabled ...

I used the synology assistent and wverything went great no prob.

Big thanx for all your help guys :smile:

I've recently annouce that my work on a kernel mode dynamic patcher in this post

How to install:

find the vid/pid of your usb drive

Burn the image to the drive, optionally edit grub.cfg to set vid/pid and boot entry, OR

connect monitor/keyboard/serial console to your Box.

Press C during Grub boot menu to enter command line

vid 0xXXXX
pid 0xYYYY

to configure pid and vid ("pid" and "vid" are command, and "XXXX", "YYYY" are you usb drive's vid,pid)

(There are a few other options can be config this way, you can read grub.cfg to know more detail.)

Press Esc to go back to boot menu

Select baremeta/baremetal AMD entry, press enter to boot.

If your encounter the "disk port disabled" error during installation, try the force install menu entry.

if both option does not work, you have to fallback to SataPortMap method,

type this line in grub command line, replace XX with appropriate value.

append SataPortMap=XX

11/2:

as I promised, here is v1.01, download link is the same as v1.0

This update contains nothing fancy, mainly for inner peace,

Plus, I revert megaraid_sas mpt3sas to old version.

It's not shining new now, the title is obsolete

My HP Microserver Gen8 can't boot by U-disk burned in your loader v1.01 as your indicate above. It shows "Non system disk" but works well with 5.2 XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 from this forum.

As I known, Gen8 can't boot by UEFI mode. Any suggestions?

update: The U-disk above was unstable and my Gen8 was updated to DSM 6.0.2 with new U-sidk by your loader v1.01. Thanks!

Edited by Guest

Some Info for N54L users (AMD based)

I burned the newest 1.01 Image on my USB Stick, adjusted PID, VID, SNR and MAC but still ran into "Booting the Kernel" without finding the NAS in my network.

After i adjusted the timeout to '5' i had the chance to see the grub menu, where i could choose the AMD entry, which did the trick :smile:

Thanks for the hard work :smile:

I thought one second is enough :grin:

Next update maybe change the timeout= parameter to default to 3 or 4 seconds. :cool: Should be plenty enough

I've recently annouce that my work on a kernel mode dynamic patcher in this post

How to install:

find the vid/pid of your usb drive

Burn the image to the drive, optionally edit grub.cfg to set vid/pid and boot entry, OR

connect monitor/keyboard/serial console to your Box.

Press C during Grub boot menu to enter command line

vid 0xXXXX
pid 0xYYYY

to configure pid and vid ("pid" and "vid" are command, and "XXXX", "YYYY" are you usb drive's vid,pid)

(There are a few other options can be config this way, you can read grub.cfg to know more detail.)

Press Esc to go back to boot menu

Select baremeta/baremetal AMD entry, press enter to boot.

If your encounter the "disk port disabled" error during installation, try the force install menu entry.

if both option does not work, you have to fallback to SataPortMap method,

type this line in grub command line, replace XX with appropriate value.

append SataPortMap=XX

11/2:

as I promised, here is v1.01, download link is the same as v1.0

This update contains nothing fancy, mainly for inner peace,

Plus, I revert megaraid_sas mpt3sas to old version.

It's not shining new now, the title is obsolete

My HP Microserver Gen8 can't boot by U-disk burned in your loader v1.01 as your indicate above. It shows "Non system disk" but works well with 5.2 XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 from this forum.

As I known, Gen8 can't boot by UEFI mode. Any suggestions?

update: The U-disk above was unstable and my Gen8 was updated to DSM 6.0.2 with new U-sidk by your loader v1.01. Thanks!

This DSM loader can boot in UEFI AND in legacy (BIOS) mode as well.

I'm trying to take the new DSM for a test drive in ESXi 6 with the new Jun 1.01 loader but importing the OVF file always gives me the error

Failed to deploy VM: postNFCData failed

Anyone else seeing this?

I've tried the webui with both Chrome and Firefox in case there was a browser anomaly.

I've also tried the Windows fat client but it too fails during upload.

Here is a working version for ESXi 6 (or 5.5) :

https://mega.nz/#!7Y0zCQ6A!KyMADeLGTsnC ... Ds8rpGEvEY

It's an OVF template with HW v10. Everything seems to work. RDM disk on LSI Virtual SAS SCSI controller are detected properly with power management, BTRFS and TV Tuner work.

Jun, your version is HW v11 and for some reasons it ask for a reinstall in a loop so it does not work.

Kind regards

I built a VM with this OVF, installed DSM, installed Update 3 and was even able to reboot from the DSM UI. Once I powered down the VM, though, it cannot see the hard drives at power on and tries to PXE boot off the network and gives up saying it cannot find an OS.

Any suggestions?

Guys! the was "A new loader for latest DSM" is causing frustration, why the "was" like its not working anymore, even if its working with latest update and no 6.1 update is available yet.

AFAIK, DSM 6.1 is a beta version which needs a new kernel image in bootloader, so not supported at the moment.

Some Info for N54L users (AMD based)

I burned the newest 1.01 Image on my USB Stick, adjusted PID, VID, SNR and MAC but still ran into "Booting the Kernel" without finding the NAS in my network.

After i adjusted the timeout to '5' i had the chance to see the grub menu, where i could choose the AMD entry, which did the trick :smile:

Thanks for the hard work :smile:

I thought one second is enough :grin:

Next update maybe change the timeout= parameter to default to 3 or 4 seconds. :cool: Should be plenty enough

Press up/down key before the menu is shown, the same way as you enter BIOS setup screen