XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

i updated also succesfully my n54l to dsm 6 update 2 with no problem changed the vid / pid and sn and mac but quick connect no longer works and the sn and mac is correct.

i used http://quickconnector.orgfree.com/index.php

any sugestions ?

Yes, set-up a domain here > https://www.changeip.com/accounts/cart. ... roduct&i=0 and install the ddns updater 2 package. Configure the domain and port forwarding job done.

@Jun Can you share the steps to recompile your patched kernel zImage? I can recompile the kernel with Hyper-V support, but it seems still not work, so I guess I missed the proper patch for DSM6.0.2?

Since there are considerable difference between beta source and the release version, I write and compile kernel modules instead, even the AMD kernel is a combination of the original kernel and the AMD support code compiled as module (sort of). I compile beta src kernel only to aid debugging, itself does not work properly, lacking required symbol etc, and I do not bother to fix it.

can you provide a quick writeup on how you added LSI support as an example so that some of us can work on doing the same for other drivers?

Special THX for the loader!

I tried it today as .vdi and .vdmk in VM (VMware & VBox) but got also Error 13.

What would be the right vid&pid for .vdmk? I read about vid=0x46f4 ; pid=0x0001

is this correct? Serial and MAC have to match with MAC from the configuration of the VM?

Greetings

EDIT:

indeed it is instantly working with VBox! I cannot understand the output of the error 13 in vmware.

Edited by Guest

is this correct? Serial and MAC have to match with MAC from the configuration of the VM?

Greetings

You have to retrieve and use the VID/PID of your usb drive

@Jun Can you share the steps to recompile your patched kernel zImage? I can recompile the kernel with Hyper-V support, but it seems still not work, so I guess I missed the proper patch for DSM6.0.2?

Since there are considerable difference between beta source and the release version, I write and compile kernel modules instead, even the AMD kernel is a combination of the original kernel and the AMD support code compiled as module (sort of). I compile beta src kernel only to aid debugging, itself does not work properly, lacking required symbol etc, and I do not bother to fix it.

can you provide a quick writeup on how you added LSI support as an example so that some of us can work on doing the same for other drivers?

most drivers has nothing special, and for special drivers, better to wait for proper kernel source. For LSI hba, I use existing driver, patch the kernel to make it has proper device name, from sas* to sd*

i updated also succesfully my n54l to dsm 6 update 2 with no problem changed the vid / pid and sn and mac but quick connect no longer works and the sn and mac is correct.

any sugestions ?

Yes, set-up a domain here > https://www.changeip.com/accounts/cart. ... roduct&i=0 and install the ddns updater 2 package. Configure the domain and port forwarding job done.

thats not was i was asking about i know i can set it up on no ip aswell but i like the futures working like an original synology.

You asked for a suggestion and he gave you one. The least you could do is give him a thanks.

If you like all features to work like in an original Synology then I recommend you buy an original Synology product. By using QC you are raping Synology services which is normally exclusively intended for its customers. In fact it's a bad idea to use QC on an XPenology box as it gives a bad reputation to this project.

Thanks for the reply, jun! I am trying to make hv_balloon.ko, hv_utils.ko, hv_vmbus.ko, hv_netvsc.ko, hv_storvsc.ko load correctly as kernel module, but I get unknown symbol error, by checking dmesg output, there are many unknown symbols, for example:

[436076.774681] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol hv_register_vmbus_handler (err 0)      
[436076.774985] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper_ms_hyperv (err 0)            
[436076.775042] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol pv_cpu_ops (err 0)                     
[436076.775055] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper (err 0)                      
[440432.878847] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol hv_register_vmbus_handler (err 0)      
[440432.878871] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper_ms_hyperv (err 0)            
[440432.878885] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol pv_cpu_ops (err 0)                     
[440432.878914] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper (err 0)                      
[440463.877528] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_driver_unregister (err 0)        
[440463.877545] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_sendpacket (err 0)               
[440463.877556] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_prep_negotiate_resp (err 0)      
[440463.877568] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_close (err 0)                    
[440463.877578] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_recvpacket (err 0)               
[440463.877600] hv_utils: Unknown symbol cn_netlink_send (err 0)                
[440463.877611] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_open (err 0)                     
[440463.877625] hv_utils: Unknown symbol cn_del_callback (err 0)                
[440463.877700] hv_utils: Unknown symbol __vmbus_driver_register (err 0)        
[440463.877717] hv_utils: Unknown symbol cn_add_callback (err 0)                
[440706.396491] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol hv_register_vmbus_handler (err 0)      
[440706.396518] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper_ms_hyperv (err 0)            
[440706.396532] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol pv_cpu_ops (err 0)                     
[440706.396545] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper (err 0)  

Then maybe let's start with pv_cpu_ops, I checked the reference and dependency of this symbol in below link:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=3.17;i=pv_cpu_ops

Any suggestions on how to make such symbol loadable as a kernel module based on above link's information?

Greetings

You have to retrieve and use the VID/PID of your usb drive

I had no need to edit vid/pid when using the loader on VBOX. It worked.

For the MAC and S/N I think the loader will use those you provided in the grub.cfg file.

Thanks for the reply, jun! I am trying to make hv_balloon.ko, hv_utils.ko, hv_vmbus.ko, hv_netvsc.ko, hv_storvsc.ko load correctly as kernel module, but I get unknown symbol error, by checking dmesg output, there are many unknown symbols, for example:

[436076.774681] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol hv_register_vmbus_handler (err 0)      
[436076.774985] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper_ms_hyperv (err 0)            
[436076.775042] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol pv_cpu_ops (err 0)                     
[436076.775055] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper (err 0)                      
[440432.878847] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol hv_register_vmbus_handler (err 0)      
[440432.878871] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper_ms_hyperv (err 0)            
[440432.878885] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol pv_cpu_ops (err 0)                     
[440432.878914] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper (err 0)                      
[440463.877528] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_driver_unregister (err 0)        
[440463.877545] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_sendpacket (err 0)               
[440463.877556] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_prep_negotiate_resp (err 0)      
[440463.877568] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_close (err 0)                    
[440463.877578] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_recvpacket (err 0)               
[440463.877600] hv_utils: Unknown symbol cn_netlink_send (err 0)                
[440463.877611] hv_utils: Unknown symbol vmbus_open (err 0)                     
[440463.877625] hv_utils: Unknown symbol cn_del_callback (err 0)                
[440463.877700] hv_utils: Unknown symbol __vmbus_driver_register (err 0)        
[440463.877717] hv_utils: Unknown symbol cn_add_callback (err 0)                
[440706.396491] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol hv_register_vmbus_handler (err 0)      
[440706.396518] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper_ms_hyperv (err 0)            
[440706.396532] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol pv_cpu_ops (err 0)                     
[440706.396545] hv_vmbus: Unknown symbol x86_hyper (err 0)  

Then maybe let's start with pv_cpu_ops, I checked the reference and dependency of this symbol in below link:

c

Any suggestions on how to make such symbol loadable as a kernel module based on above link's information?

not possible unless you've managed to

compile the missing code as module, as you may notice, these code are normally compiled as part of the kernel(and for a good reason), so you need hacking the code to make it work, that's the hardest part.

EDIT:

I've been a bit careless reading your question, you clear know most of the above info.

Edited by Guest

any sugestions ?

thats not was i was asking about i know i can set it up on no ip aswell but i like the futures working like an original synology.

You asked for a suggestion and he gave you one. The least you could do is give him a thanks.

If you like all features to work like in an original Synology then I recommend you buy an original Synology product. By using QC you are raping Synology services which is normally exclusively intended for its customers. In fact it's a bad idea to use QC on an XPenology box as it gives a bad reputation to this project.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I already got my system all upgraded to 6 using v1.01 and am happy as a clam (are clams that happy?), but I still read all the new posts in this thread every couple days and most of the people that come in here looking for help are brutal.

Our kernel modules are saved in extra.lzma. To extract extra.lzma I use this bash script:

#!/bin/bash
rm -r extra
mkdir extra
cd extra
unlzma  -c ../extra.lzma | cpio -im
cd ..

And for repack:

#!/bin/bash
cd extra
find . | cpio -o -H newc | lzma > ../extra_new.lzma
cd ..

Kernel modules are loaded in order as they are defined in /etc/rc.modules:

EXTRA_MODULES="mii mdio libphy atl1 atl1e atl1c alx uio ipg jme skge sky2 ptp_pch pch_gbe qla3xxx qlcnic qlge netxen_nic sfc e1000 pcnet32 vmxnet3 bnx2 libcrc32c bnx2x cnic e1000e igb ixgbe r8101 r8168 r8169 tg3 usbnet ax88179_178a button evdev"
DISK_MODULES="BusLogic vmw_pvscsi megaraid_mm megaraid_mbox megaraid scsi_transport_spi mptbase mptscsih mptspi mptsas mptctl ata_piix megaraid_sas mpt2sas mpt3sas"
EXTRA_FIRMWARES="tigon/tg3_tso5.bin tigon/tg3_tso.bin tigon/tg3.bin"

For compiling modules from external sources i created symlink from kernel source root to /lib/modules/3.10.77/build. Then most of Makefiles will work without any change.

Hi Arcao,

to extract the kernel, should I run the bash file in chroot env or I should exit out first?

is it compulsory to create the rc.modules? (What I did is I copies the intel drivers from 5.2 (which is working for my mobo) such as e1000e_new and igb_new to the intel drivers folder in this source kernel and compile it.)

sorry for many questions, as this is my first time deal with kernel compilation in Linux.

hello with the last loader on my N40L, the RTL8153 in my hub usb3 doesn't work :sad:

I found why my UPS was no longer connected, the USB chipset original for N40L does not work, I plugged in my USB3 hub in my PCI usb3 and is now detected

Hey jun, do you think that it's possible to integrate the driver for USB chipset of the N40L into your image ? :roll:

+1

Just a tiny up :roll:

If someone want to help on that and need more information don't hesitate to ask ...

A big thank you to the developers, making it possible to run DSM on our own hardware! :grin:

I was able to install (DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01) on my ASRock B75M-ITX, I3-3225, 8GB DDR3 with a Intel® Gigabit VT Quad Port Server Adapter (Two Intel® 82575GB Gigabit Controllers)

Link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 06624.html

I has to select "Force Install" before it will let me install DSM on the disk drive. Otherwise it just hangs, and can find any SATA device.

Everything seems to be working, with the exception of network bond.

DSM can see all the network interfaces, from the Intel® Gigabit VT Quad Port Server Adapter.

I have a NETGEAR GS716Tv2 smart switch, just gets a message that DSM not can create an IEEE 802.3ad link.

Others who have installed network bond, with a Intel® Gigabit VT Quad Port Server Adapter without any problems?

Any help much appreciated :grin:

Hi all,

first of all I would like to thank all of you for your continuous efforts to keep this project running. I really like to play with Synology on my N54L and your hard work makes this possible.

THANK YOU!

Secondly, I have a question about driver support.

I would like to add a USB 3.0 card (PCIe) into my N54L to attach an external USB 3.0 HDD.

The card is a Delock 89243 (http://www.delock.com/produkte/G_89243/merkmale.html) with a NEC Renesas chipset.

Has the driver for this card/chipset been added to the loader?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I've read through the last few pages of this thread, at least since the new V1.0 loader has been released.

I can't see that anyone has created an .iso yet.

I want to test this with Hyper-V & that will only boot from an iso.

I've tried to create an iso by using ImgBurn to open the .img file then create an iso.

The VM would not boot.

From the 5.2 iso that was working OK. Copied the VID & PID and SN from the isolinux.cfg file.

Mounted the img with OSFMount and edited the grub.cfg with correct values.

Created a new iso with ImgBurn.

Still will not boot.

Has anyone got a valid iso they can share?

TIA

I've read through the last few pages of this thread, at least since the new V1.0 loader has been released.

I've tried to create an iso by using ImgBurn to open the .img file then create an iso.

The VM would not boot.

From the 5.2 iso that was working OK. Copied the VID & PID and SN from the isolinux.cfg file.

Still will not boot.

TIA

Can you boot HyperV VM via pxe?

The VM would not boot.

Still will not boot.

TIA

You can convert the .img file to an .iso with: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter

It will boot in Hyper-V, BUT the network driver is not implemented yet, so you can't find it on the network.

The VM would not boot.

Still will not boot.

TIA

Can you boot HyperV VM via pxe?

Yes, that's possible.

The VM would not boot.

Still will not boot.

TIA

There's an ISO here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=77489&hilit=hyper#p77489

Sadly it won't get you anywhere in Hyper-V yet, the drivers aren't compiled. It just sits there not doing a great deal.

I don't know if it can help for the UPS issue on HP microserver :

#4: OHCI support

Current releases of the XPEnology lacks OHCI USB support (remember: USB 1.1 hardware has two different driver models, UHCI and OHCI; also all USB 2.0 hosts has two drivers, one for USB 2.0 protocol (EHCI) and one for USB 1.1 (UHCI or OHCI)). This is the reason because in the HP Microserver you lack USB support for low speed devices (like keyboard, mouse, UPS, etc.). The kernel loads the correct EHCI driver, but for USB 1.1 speeds only has the UHCI driver and the system can't comunicate with your devices.

Here the solution: Add support for OHCI driver.

You only need to modify the config file in the kernel with:

CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_SSB=y

And this will generate the correct "ohci-hcd.ko" module. This module will be automatically loaded at boot, so you only need to copy them to "/lib/modules/".

WARNING:

After recompiling this module the module "usbcore.ko" is different. If you try to load the "ohci-hcd.ko" in a system with the original "usbcore.ko" module already loaded you receive a kernel fault. You need to replace also the "usbcore.ko" module!!! :eek:

FOR MICROSERVER USERS:

If you like to complete your USB support in your machine:

1) Download the extended package of kernel modules (modules-4.2-02.05.2013.tar.gz ) and copy all of them in the directory "/lib/modules/": https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhE ... _web&pli=1

2) Download the new "usbcore.ko" and "ohci-hcd.ko" modules and copy them to "/lib/modules/": http://pastebin.com/sH4RieEj / http://pastebin.com/4vL65THx

3) Reboot and you have full USB support (all ports, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 speeds)!

:grin:

I want to get my USB external hard drive working with my HP microserver.

I have a few questions:

1) do I need to do both steps? Ie add support for OHCI driver and copy across the kernel modules?

2) if so, which file do I need to modify in the kernel and how do you do this?

3) what's the best method for copying across the modules?

It would be great if someone could post a step by step guide to doing this?

Thanks

Mike

From viewtopic.php?f=2&t=915&start=10