XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Any chance you could make a XenServer image? The vm and esxi image doesn't work with Xen.

I'm also interested into it...no chance to make it work in Xen Server 7? start the boot but no findable with find.synology.com or synology assistance... :sad:

Same here with Proxmox/KVM.

I will be providing updated loader with configuration tool to assist everyone modifying configurations from within xpenology so no one will have to modfy in boot cds or other methods. I will start a new thread on that this weekend. Stay tuned!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

How's this going? If you need testers, I'm game

Ok for people using the KVM (i.e. proxmox, xeserver etc) I've made a compatible image for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36438777/boot.rar

Its a straight conversion from the original synoboot.img

For anyone wanting to change the MAC, Serial etc. download OSFMount from here

http://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

Mount the image using OSFMount (Making sure to give read.write permissions)

Open the drive, edit the grub.cfg as required

Now find a copy of qemu-img and install it.

You can run the following command line to convert the image to the KVM compatible qcow2 format

qemu-img.exe convert -f raw -O qcow2 original.img output.img

Now create a KVM virtual machine assign an IDE hardrive with the output.img file to boot and also add a 10GB+ SATA drive second.

Make sure your network card type is set to Intel 1000e

Boot you're VM and find it using the synology assistant (Download from synology)

I have this working on the QNap NAS drive using their version of KVM (Virtualisation Station)

Hope this helps!!

Just some ferdback, instaled on a i3, no vid or pid ou sn configured, everithing went well, works perfect.

Just one question i need to compile tbs drivers to teste, where can i get the source you guys are using to compile modules??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok for people using the KVM (i.e. proxmox, xeserver etc) I've made a compatible image for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36438777/boot.rar

Its a straight conversion from the original synoboot.img

For anyone wanting to change the MAC, Serial etc. download OSFMount from here

http://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

Mount the image using OSFMount (Making sure to give read.write permissions)

Open the drive, edit the grub.cfg as required

Now find a copy of qemu-img and install it.

You can run the following command line to convert the image to the KVM compatible qcow2 format

qemu-img.exe convert -f raw -O qcow2 original.img output.img

Now create a KVM virtual machine assign an IDE hardrive with the output.img file to boot and also add a 10GB+ SATA drive second.

Make sure your network card type is set to Intel 1000e

Boot you're VM and find it using the synology assistant (Download from synology)

I have this working on the QNap NAS drive using their version of KVM (Virtualisation Station)

Hope this helps!!

Well, thing is that we can boot image (even orginal) under proxmox (KVM). Issue is that we cant find Syno on the network since driver for proxmox vlans (intel e1000 or virito) is missing from boot image. Solution is simple. We need boot image with proxmox intel e1000 or universal Virito lan driver.

Hi,

thank you for your work, it's working perfectly

I running DSM6 on KVM in the host unRAID, mouting NFS shares of my unraid server to DSM so I can use almost all the features that DSM have (except btrfs things)

the only problem is the virtio (para-virtualitzed) drivers doesn't work,

Could be possible to add this drivers?

now i'm using sata emulation and e1000 for network

Could you please tell me how you got it working in that combination? I tried all weekend, but no success for me.

Cheers

Well, thing is that we can boot image (even orginal) under proxmox (KVM). Issue is that we cant find Syno on the network since driver for proxmox vlans (intel e1000 or virito) is missing from boot image. Solution is simple. We need boot image with proxmox intel e1000 or universal Virito lan driver.

I'm using intel e1000 on ESXi and it works. It doesn't show up on find.synology.com, but using the desktop app works.

Hello,

I've a network card atheros ar8131, but impossible to see my nas on the networks, I looked in the extra.lzma and alt1c driver is present but malgrès that it does not work, any idea?

Thank you and sorry for my English I use google translation

edit : sorry my card is ar8131 driver alt1c (present too but not ok) and not ar8161

Edited by Guest

I'm using intel e1000 on ESXi and it works. It doesn't show up on find.synology.com, but using the desktop app works.

Tried both (app and www) with no luck.

Just some ferdback, instaled on a i3, no vid or pid ou sn configured, everithing went well, works perfect.

Just one question i need to compile tbs drivers to teste, where can i get the source you guys are using to compile modules??

Read the OP. Source code is provided.

Edited by Guest

I have a supermicro amd motherboard with onboard lsi 2008 controller. I can passthrough the controller in esxi 6.0.2 to 1.01 jun image VM and pat file gets installed by showing dsm as migratable. However after reboot I lose all network connectivity.

Using the older 5.2 image i see the disks in recoverable state and have to reinstall 6.0.2-8451 pat file which brings it back to migratable and so it keeps looping.

Need some help here please

Dear Jun,

I'm here to say thank you for the hard work.

Yesterday I successfully upgraded my Dell T20 to DSM 6.

I had only to change some voice on the bios (serial port e HDD mode) and use force install (to avoid error).

Now it works like a charm.

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

hello with the last loader on my N40L, the RTL8153 in my hub usb3 doesn't work :sad:

I found why my UPS was no longer connected, the USB chipset original for N40L does not work, I plugged in my USB3 hub in my PCI usb3 and is now detected

Hey jun, do you think that it's possible to integrate the driver for USB chipset of the N40L into your image ? :roll:

hello with the last loader on my N40L, the RTL8153 in my hub usb3 doesn't work :sad:

I found why my UPS was no longer connected, the USB chipset original for N40L does not work, I plugged in my USB3 hub in my PCI usb3 and is now detected

Hey jun, do you think that it's possible to integrate the driver for USB chipset of the N40L into your image ? :roll:

+1

Hello everybody,

I got a HP N54L with a AMD CPU running on DSM 5.2 and I want to upgrade to DSM 6.

I am a little bit confused. May someone help me to understand the progress on how to upgrade it?

Befor I start with the upgrade the 1. posts tells me that AMD user should look for the 3rd post.

There is a downloadlink which points to a bzImage file. What do I need to do with it?

I also downloaded DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V.101. In that zip package there is the synoboot.img

I guess I need to write that IMG to a USB key and then change sn/mac/vid/pid. I am missing some instructions how to upgrade.

Thank you for any reply.

A few tips for those who can't get Jun's loader work properly.

1, try different USB flash drive. I noticed some "crappy" ones are not working.

2, use proper software to burn the image. win32 imager works, rufus does not. However, rufus is okay with arcao or setsunakawa's loader.

3, use a good text editor to edit the grub.conf file. Notpad++ is okay.

4, you may to manually power cycle the NAS by unplug the power cord

5, last thing try to format USB drive before burning. This may not matter that much.

We use quicknick 3.10.77-7274 kernel source from https://github.com/quiknick/7274-kernel (newer is not available).

Compilation kernel modules is easy (I found it how to do it in http://setsunakawa.ddns.net/synology/dsm6/developer-guide.pdf):

cp synoconfigs/bromolow .config
make ARCH="x86_64" oldconfig
make ARCH="x86_64" menuconfig
make ARCH="x86_64" modules

Our kernel modules are saved in extra.lzma. To extract extra.lzma I use this bash script:

#!/bin/bash
rm -r extra
mkdir extra
cd extra
unlzma  -c ../extra.lzma | cpio -im
cd ..

And for repack:

#!/bin/bash
cd extra
find . | cpio -o -H newc | lzma > ../extra_new.lzma
cd ..

Kernel modules are loaded in order as they are defined in /etc/rc.modules:

EXTRA_MODULES="mii mdio libphy atl1 atl1e atl1c alx uio ipg jme skge sky2 ptp_pch pch_gbe qla3xxx qlcnic qlge netxen_nic sfc e1000 pcnet32 vmxnet3 bnx2 libcrc32c bnx2x cnic e1000e igb ixgbe r8101 r8168 r8169 tg3 usbnet ax88179_178a button evdev"
DISK_MODULES="BusLogic vmw_pvscsi megaraid_mm megaraid_mbox megaraid scsi_transport_spi mptbase mptscsih mptspi mptsas mptctl ata_piix megaraid_sas mpt2sas mpt3sas"
EXTRA_FIRMWARES="tigon/tg3_tso5.bin tigon/tg3_tso.bin tigon/tg3.bin"

For compiling modules from external sources i created symlink from kernel source root to /lib/modules/3.10.77/build. Then most of Makefiles will work without any change.

As a build machine I use my nas with installed debian-chroot package. There I just installed build-essential, ncurses-dev and bc packages:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential ncurses-dev bc

We use quicknick 3.10.77-7274 kernel source from https://github.com/quiknick/7274-kernel (newer is not available).

Compilation kernel modules is easy (I found it how to do it in http://setsunakawa.ddns.net/synology/dsm6/developer-guide.pdf):

cp synoconfigs/bromolow .config
make ARCH="x86_64" oldconfig
make ARCH="x86_64" menuconfig
make ARCH="x86_64" modules

Our kernel modules are saved in extra.lzma. To extract extra.lzma I use this bash script:

#!/bin/bash
rm -r extra
mkdir extra
cd extra
unlzma  -c ../extra.lzma | cpio -im
cd ..

And for repack:

#!/bin/bash
cd extra
find . | cpio -o -H newc | lzma > ../extra_new.lzma
cd ..

Kernel modules are loaded in order as they are defined in /etc/rc.modules:

EXTRA_MODULES="mii mdio libphy atl1 atl1e atl1c alx uio ipg jme skge sky2 ptp_pch pch_gbe qla3xxx qlcnic qlge netxen_nic sfc e1000 pcnet32 vmxnet3 bnx2 libcrc32c bnx2x cnic e1000e igb ixgbe r8101 r8168 r8169 tg3 usbnet ax88179_178a button evdev"
DISK_MODULES="BusLogic vmw_pvscsi megaraid_mm megaraid_mbox megaraid scsi_transport_spi mptbase mptscsih mptspi mptsas mptctl ata_piix megaraid_sas mpt2sas mpt3sas"
EXTRA_FIRMWARES="tigon/tg3_tso5.bin tigon/tg3_tso.bin tigon/tg3.bin"

For compiling modules from external sources i created symlink from kernel source root to /lib/modules/3.10.77/build. Then most of Makefiles will work without any change.

As a build machine I use my nas with installed debian-chroot package. There I just installed build-essential, ncurses-dev and bc packages:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential ncurses-dev bc

thanks for the info, already compiled tbs drivers for dsm6, and tested them, everything is working perfectly.

the only thing is when crosscompiling it gives me an alert that dependences will not show, and modules dont say dependences(modinfo xxx.ko ) but thats ok, i know what modules i need

Hello everybody,

I got a HP N54L with a AMD CPU running on DSM 5.2 and I want to upgrade to DSM 6.

I am a little bit confused. May someone help me to understand the progress on how to upgrade it?

Befor I start with the upgrade the 1. posts tells me that AMD user should look for the 3rd post.

There is a downloadlink which points to a bzImage file. What do I need to do with it?

I also downloaded DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V.101. In that zip package there is the synoboot.img

I guess I need to write that IMG to a USB key and then change sn/mac/vid/pid. I am missing some instructions how to upgrade.

Thank you for any reply.

Got it working. Download DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V.101, put with Win32DiskImager on the USB key. Edit sn/mac/vid/pid as mentioned in first post.

Then go to 3rd post download the file and replace it with the file on the usb key. Put the stick into the N54L, wait until "Booting Kernel" comes up.

Go to find.synology.com and migrate you files.

For me it worked fine, coming from DSM 5.2.

Only problem at the moment → no https connections via Apps like ds get, ds audio to the dynamic dns domain from the server. Any ideas? I deleted the history on my phone and added a Let's Encrypt Certificate for the server.