XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Thanks for your reply.

I get the backup wizard. I log in, and then get to a page (synoauth.synology.com) that says:

Redirect your personal information back to http://192.168.14.10:5000, please make sure http://192.168.14.10:5000 is your DS domain.

After I confirm and click 'Next', it's just an empty page.

P.S. If Hyper Backup requires the use of Synology services (does it?) then never mind: like others, I don't mind using Xpenology, but don't feel like defrauding Synology by using fake serials, etc. Otherwise I'd still like to know.

Even on the real Synology box, I got the blank page the first time. Close it and try again and everything seems to work.

On the Xpenology box, I got the same situation (close the browser and try again and it seems to work).

I saw the synoauth.synology.com address also. This is the first time I saw an app bounces traffic around like that.

Another Gen8 running happily on DSM6 here. Thanks for making it happen. :smile:

Is there any likely hood that and adapted version of this method will be usable on a Gen7?

HI Have it working on a G7.

Did not update to update 2 though.

Did not do anything special other then using the bare metal mixed boot loader (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=90#p73344) and copy of the fixed ramdisk.

Will try the upgrade to update 2 shortly an report back

wich ramdisk did you use to get it running on gen7 ?

Another Gen8 running happily on DSM6 here. Thanks for making it happen. :smile:

Is there any likely hood that and adapted version of this method will be usable on a Gen7?

HI Have it working on a G7.

Did not update to update 2 though.

Did not do anything special other then using the bare metal mixed boot loader (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=90#p73344) and copy of the fixed ramdisk.

Will try the upgrade to update 2 shortly an report back

wich ramdisk did you use to get it running on gen7 ?

I'm on the same boat to ask. :smile:

Thanks for your reply.

I get the backup wizard. I log in, and then get to a page (synoauth.synology.com) that says:

Redirect your personal information back to http://192.168.14.10:5000, please make sure http://192.168.14.10:5000 is your DS domain.

After I confirm and click 'Next', it's just an empty page.

P.S. If Hyper Backup requires the use of Synology services (does it?) then never mind: like others, I don't mind using Xpenology, but don't feel like defrauding Synology by using fake serials, etc. Otherwise I'd still like to know.

Even on the real Synology box, I got the blank page the first time. Close it and try again and everything seems to work.

On the Xpenology box, I got the same situation (close the browser and try again and it seems to work).

I saw the synoauth.synology.com address also. This is the first time I saw an app bounces traffic around like that.

Thanks for the reply.

Tried that several times, but the page stays blank, unfortunately.

Hi guys,

Yesterday, I successfully migrated my box from DSM 5.2 to 6 (see my signature). All important things work. Here is my feedback:

ASMedia ASM1061 SATA Constroller

By dmesg this sata controller is detected correctly, but I can't confirm full functionality - I don't have attached any hdd on it. Anyway I guess in worst case it would need to a little bit modify grub.cfg and add SataPortMap=22 (two drivers on primary and two drivers on secondary SATA controller).

[    4.459069] scsi0 : ahci
[    4.461455] scsi1 : ahci
[    4.467931] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0x91411000 port 0x91411100 irq 135
[    4.467941] ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0x91411000 port 0x91411180 irq 135
[    4.468220] ahci 0000:04:00.0: irq 136 for MSI/MSI-X
[    4.468283] ahci: SSS flag set, parallel bus scan disabled
[    4.468332] ahci 0000:04:00.0: AHCI 0001.0200 32 slots 2 ports 6 Gbps 0x3 impl SATA mode
[    4.468339] ahci 0000:04:00.0: flags: 64bit ncq sntf stag led clo pmp pio slum part ccc
[    4.480222] scsi2 : ahci
[    4.482613] scsi3 : ahci
[    4.485704] ata3: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m512@0x91200000 port 0x91200100 irq 136
[    4.485713] ata4: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m512@0x91200000 port 0x91200180 irq 136

Docker

Docker unfortunately now require BTRFS volume. Thus you have to create your volume from scratch as a BTRFS (I am planing this to do later).

L2TP/IPsec

I am not able to start L2TP/IPsec VPN server even if it looks like it's configured correctly (this doesn't work on 5.2 too). I will have to look for some logs or start service in debug mode. It was some problem after installation / upgrade. I reinstalled the VPN server package and configured again and now it works. Don't forget to use uppercase usernames in your L2TP/IPsec VPN clients.

Power off button

The power off button do nothing by default on DSM 6. On DSM 5.2 I used acpid (v2.0.23) to call syno_poweroff_task -r on power-off button press. Acpid now works for me on DSM 6. It needs button.ko a evdev.ko to be inserted before acpid start.

Here is the package. Just extract it, copy files and directories from power-off directory to root directory and reboot your nas or start acpid daemon with:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/S30acpid.sh start

I compiled it in Debian chroot directly on my NAS from quicknick 7274 kernel sources:

cp synoconfigs/bromolow .config
make ARCH="x86_64" oldconfig
make ARCH="x86_64" menuconfig
# set as module: Device Drivers ---> Input device support --> Event interface 
make ARCH="x86_64" modules

ROOT access

You don't need allow root to login via ssh. Just login as admin and with sudo elevate permission to root user (e.g. sudo su)

Edited by Guest

L2TP/IPsec

I am not able to start L2TP/IPsec VPN server even if it looks like it's configured correctly (this doesn't work on 5.2 too). I will have to look for some logs or start service in debug mode.

L2TP/IPsec worked just fine for me on DSM 5.2 and now on DSM 6.0. I do remember however that I had to change the username to upper-case before it worked. Here is the post on synology's forum. https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 73&t=97985

Edited by Guest

Does anyone have INTEL_PSTATE driver working with this release?

I have the governor working on a baremetal Gen8 no problem. The location of rc.d has changed from /user/syno/etc/rc.d to /user/local/etc/rc.d so you need to copy the S99PowersavingINTEL.sh script to that folder.

I originally thought the governor was working without using the script but I think I was wrong. I added the powersaving script and it's working as expected. I left some notes in this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=420#p74492 I need to update the Power section though.

I haven't managed to get the Power Button fix to work yet. I didn't spend too much time looking at it though because it's not vital in my case, although it's nice to have for convenience.

@the guys trying to use the current img's to build Gen7 machines stop wasting your time it wont work! The current img works with Intel based systems i.e. Gen8 and others Intel boards which have hardware supported by the included/additional drivers added by Jun and Setsunakawa.

News: acpid now works for me. It needs button.ko a evdev.ko to be inserted before acpid start.

That sounds interesting, would you be able to explain in a little more detail as I'm a bit thick when things get all technofied and linuxy. :oops:

L2TP/IPsec

I am not able to start L2TP/IPsec VPN server even if it looks like it's configured correctly (this doesn't work on 5.2 too). I will have to look for some logs or start service in debug mode.

L2TP/IPsec worked just fine for me on DSM 5.2 and now on DSM 6.0. I do remember however that I had to change the username to upper-case before it worked. Here is the post on synology's forum. https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 73&t=97985

You're shitting me right!? Seriously the fix for L2TP/IPsec is to use uppercase for the user name! I pulled my hair out for days and abused BT support trying to get L2TP working, and in the end I had to concede defeat. It was a bitter moment as some people had it working and others like myself failed dismally. :oops: I never found that post on the synology forum and I did lots of searching.

Thanks for that great insight! I don't have time to test it out right now but it's back as a priority on my todo list. :smile:

Power off button

Here is the package. Just extract it, copy files and directories from power-off dir to root and reboot your nas.

button.ko and evdev.ko prepared from quicknick 7274 kernel sources, acpid and config is from another thread on this forum.

I compiled it in Debian chroot directly on my nas:

Edited by Guest

Power off button

Here is the package. Just extract it, copy files and directories to root and reboot your nas.

button.ko and evdev.ko prepared from quicknick 7274 kernel sources, acpid and config is from another thread on this forum.

I compiled it in Debian chroot:

You sir are gentleman. :smile: Happy to report that the files in the package worked for me. I will update my other post and link to yours. Great job thanks for sharing.

For anyone interested I have tried to maintain cliff notes from this thread in this post > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74492#p74492 .

As for your Docker situation...can you install a couple of disks on your spare SATA and create a new disk group and add a volume with btrfs? I think you can choose which volume to install docker to? That might do for a test in the short term, plus you will know if the SATA ports are useable or not.

Edited by Guest

@CtrlAltDel

I saw your instruction how to setup SataPortMap. It's useful.

I'm however just confused how we call which one is controller 1, 2, 3, blah..blah... :oops:

let say I have an Intel mobo that has 4 sata ports (Intel controller). I attached another sata card (ASM1061 SATA Constroller) that has 2 ports to build my 6 HDDs nas. So, in this case, which one should I setup for SataPortMap?

It should be SataPortMap=42 or SataPortMap=24?

An extra question. What if I set it wrong?

Thanks.

@CtrlAltDel

I saw your instruction how to setup SataPortMap. It's useful.

I'm however just confused how we call which one is controller 1, 2, 3, blah..blah... :oops:

let say I have an Intel mobo that has 4 sata ports (Intel controller). I attached another sata card (ASM1061 SATA Constroller) that has 2 ports to build my 6 HDDs nas. So, in this case, which one should I setup for SataPortMap?

It should be SataPortMap=42 or SataPortMap=24?

An extra question. What if I set it wrong?

Thanks.

I didn't write the instructions all I did was compile the info that other great minds imparted to us. That particular nugget is credited to Satsunakawa if I remember correctly. Maybe he or someone else could explain how to identify the controller order? I only have one controller so I have no clue (nothing new there). Other than that you could try a process of elimination by trying different SataMaps with drives connected in different configurations. If you do that keep an eye on the drive serial number to see where it appears/moves to. That's the scientific method I would use based on my rather limited unscientific skill set. :lol:

Does anyone have INTEL_PSTATE driver working with this release?

I have the governor working on a baremetal Gen8 no problem. The location of rc.d has changed from /user/syno/etc/rc.d to /user/local/etc/rc.d so you need to copy the S99PowersavingINTEL.sh script to that folder.

I originally thought the governor was working without using the script but I think I was wrong. I added the powersaving script and it's working as expected. I left some notes in this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=420#p74492 I need to update the Power section though.

I haven't managed to get the Power Button fix to work yet. I didn't spend too much time looking at it though because it's not vital in my case, although it's nice to have for convenience.

@the guys trying to use the current img's to build Gen7 machines stop wasting your time it wont work! The current img works with Intel based systems i.e. Gen8 and others Intel boards which have hardware supported by the included/additional drivers added by Jun and Setsunakawa.

i was talking about BURST frequency, on my system, the cpu takes acpi-cpufreq but support intel pstate, so my cpu cant make his job correctly at 100%, should be a kernel problem.

Regarding the unclean shutdown for ESXi users.

To get rid of the unclean shutdown warning just add a serial port to the vm with following settings:

- use named pipe

- Pipe name: \\.\pipe\com_1

- Near end: server

- Far end: a virtual machine

As a result the unclean shutdown warning will not appear in the logs anymore.

Regarding the unclean shutdown for ESXi users.

To get rid of the unclean shutdown warning just add a serial port to the vm with following settings:

- use named pipe

- Pipe name: \\.\pipe\com_1

- Near end: server

- Far end: a virtual machine

As a result the unclean shutdown warning will not appear in the logs anymore.

As others mentioned in this thread, this is much easier:

"(...) changed the console output on the following service only ... /usr/share/init/syno_poweroff_task.conf:console output ... from "console output" to "console none". After reboot the error of "improper shutdown" is gone."

Unless you were talking about something else.

Hello,

I have an existing DSM 5.2-5967 running under ESXi, configured as following:

CDROM (boot) - XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1 (ISO) # this is the boot image

SSD Disk 0 - datastore1 # this is the disk that contain the ESXi datastore

>>>datastore1 > Virtualdisk (20gb)- DSM 5.2-5967 installation # Synology DSM OS is installed in the ESXi datastore

SATA Disk 1+2 (RDM) > Volume1 (RAID1) # these 2 physical disks attached as RDM, connected to the Synology DSM, and configured as RAID1 - Volume1

now, I wish to take this configuration and migrate to 6.02 without loosing any data / settings.

any idea?

-Roei

Is it possible to use isolinux to boot the kernel and ramdisk?

I put the provided zImage and ramdisk.lzm(a) and use isolinux to generated iso with syslinux.cfg something like below:

LABEL install

MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 6.0.2-8451 Install/Upgrade

KERNEL ../zImage

INITRD ../ramdisk.lzm

APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=xxxxxxx console=ttyS0,115200 mac1=xxxxxxxxx vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 vender_format_version=2 upgrade=6.0.2-8451

In hyper-V it boots and I can see VM screen:

Loading ../zImage... ok

Loading ../ramdisk.lzm... ok

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

Booting the kernel.

Then nothing else, and find.synology.me cannot connect in browser.

Anyone can help and figure out the reason? Is that so the kernel and ramdisk has to be booted using EFI way?

Edited by Guest

I put the provided zImage and ramdisk.lzm(a) and use isolinux to generated iso with syslinux.cfg something like below:

LABEL install

KERNEL ../zImage

INITRD ../ramdisk.lzm

APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=xxxxxxx console=ttyS0,115200 mac1=xxxxxxxxx vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 vender_format_version=2 upgrade=6.0.2-8451

Loading ../zImage... ok

Booting the kernel.

Anyone can help and figure out the reason? Is that so the kernel and ramdisk has to be booted using EFI way?

I dont know anything specific about Hyper-V, but in general, is is not possible to install this version with ISO only, but use ISO to load an installed version should be fine.

The reason is DSM installer expect writable synoboot1/synoboot2 partitions, and I dont attemp to change this part of logic.

LABEL install

KERNEL ../zImage

INITRD ../ramdisk.lzm

Loading ../zImage... ok

Booting the kernel.

I dont know anything specific about Hyper-V, but in general, is is not possible to install this version with ISO only, but use ISO to load an installed version should be fine.

The reason is DSM installer expect writable synoboot1/synoboot2 partitions, and I dont attemp to change this part of logic.

Could you share more details about writable synoboot1/synoboot2 partitions?

If I have an existing installation in VM with DSM5.2 on virtualized SCSI mounted disk, does that mean the condition is met?

And in case I want to do a new install on SCSI disk (no matter it is real one or virtualized one), should I manually create such partitions first, and do you have specifications on how such partitions should be created?