XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I can't post a log as there is no SSH access however the N54L appears to freeze during/after PCI enumeration which would explain why nobody can find the device on Synology Assistant or on their network.

I was looking for a core dump or something to pinpoint where it was failing but nothing obvious stood out, the below is all I found out.

Last messages in the boot process are similar to the below:

[ 0.193677] NET: Registered protocol family 2

[ 0.194016] TCP established hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)

[ 0.194303] TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes)

[ 0.194726] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 65536 bind 65536)

[ 0.194791] TCP: reno registered

[ 0.194799] UDP hash table entries: 4096 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

[ 0.194869] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 4096 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

[ 0.194985] NET: Registered protocol family 1

Prints a couple lines like:

[ 0.193611] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 0 [io 0xc000-0xcfff]

[ 0.193612] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 1 [mem 0xfe600000-0xfe7fffff]

[ 0.193613] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 2 [mem 0xfe000000-0xfe1fffff 64bit pref]

then freezes

The synology kernel do not have AMD CPU support compiled in, so it is expected that AMD box can not run properly.

Adding support requires a full recompilation from source or some non-trivial patch to the synology kernel, both solution has its own difficulties.

I personally does not have the hardware, so It may be a long wait before something positive happens.

Might be worth putting a big notice in the original thread so N54L/AMD users know this as originally people suspected that it was just due to missing network card drivers as opposed to the system not booting,

Might be worth putting a big notice in the original thread so N54L/AMD users know this as originally people suspected that it was just due to missing network card drivers as opposed to the system not booting,

To my surprise, I've seen report that AMD E-350 box works.

I have Xpenology running on Esxi6 DSM 5.2-5644 update 5. I have a 16 gb vmdisk for apps (Scsi1 controller) seen as Volume 1 and PCI SATA controller ASM1062 with 1TB hard drive for data seen as Volume 2.

I have tried a test with the DSM6 on ESxi6 and it works. How do I upgrade from the previous bootloader to this new one ? Can some help me with configuration details for the volume 1 and volume 2.

TIA

Hi I've managed to edit the S/N and MAC in grub.cfg, the changes seem to keep after a reboot, however when trying to set up quickconnect I still get error:

the system failed to perform the requested operation, there is an unknown error login

Have I done something wrong?

Looks like people still abuse QC... :lol:

I agree. This is away to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Synology can tell the fake S/N and MAC combination and where those come from (while using QC). When they realize the "market lost", they'll encrypt the DSM better.

There are many free DNS services that works faster than QC.

Hello,

Anyone managed to install DSM6 in ESXi with a LSI8211 configured in pci passthrough ?

I tried myself but the disks connected to the LSI are not detected.

Best regards,

TitiD

@everyone on this thread,

No. No LSI 2008 based controllers will work with this loader. This will not be possible until patched kernel and loader is released. I have diverted my time making a configuration tool for everyone (because I got sick of cleaning up the kernel), but will resume working on the kernel soon.

Hi I've managed to edit the S/N and MAC in grub.cfg, the changes seem to keep after a reboot, however when trying to set up quickconnect I still get error:

the system failed to perform the requested operation, there is an unknown error login

Have I done something wrong?

I agree. This is away to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Synology can tell the fake S/N and MAC combination and where those come from (while using QC). When they realize the "market lost", they'll encrypt the DSM better.

There are many free DNS services that works faster than QC.

I am not sure what is so hard to comprehend about QC and why some people are desperately trying to abuse Synology and their services. I think some people who are trying to do that don't even understand what QC is for and why they are trying to do it. That's the only explanation I can find.

Using Xpenology loaders to circumvent Synology's hardware restrictions leads to some features not being 100% functional. QC is one of them but there is a very simple way to get around it. As said above: use a DDNS. It is part of Synology features and you can even use custom ddns configs. It's really not that complicated and it is located just below the QuickConnect tab and it's called External Access. Both have the same functions. One being a service provided by Synology. That's about it. See below:

SeTSJfK.jpg

Edited by Guest

Please, is there any way to make a loader that uses a version that supports SHR natively?

Maybe DS1815+ or something like that?

I am absolutely willing to test/work on to help, but I am no big linux-whiz I'm afraid...

You dont need a DS1815+ for SHR support

just edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

press F5 on you web browser

Thanks Jun, I can confirm this works for a fresh bearmetal installation on a Gen8 with a raw drive.

The disk group created as shr raid with a btrfs file system and the system is now busy verifying the drive. :smile:

I cocked up on my first run at it...I made the mistake of editing the file in etc when I should have been in etc.defaults. :oops:

Edit:

Update, added a new disk and expanded the disk group successfully (it's still busy expanding and checking parity right now). The disk group/volume is running in shr with btrfs on 2 x WD 4TB drives.

Edited by Guest

Hi

I am quite new to this. Have a Hp Gen8 Microserver with xpenoboot running dsm 5.2 5967 (baremetal no VM). There were mixed informations so I ask you guys. Is it possible to install baremetal DSM 6 to my microserver using the boot image the first page? Some suggests its not possible because lack of UEFI support. Thanks for your answer.

Hi

I am quite new to this. Have a Hp Gen8 Microserver with xpenoboot running dsm 5.2 5967 (baremetal no VM). There were mixed informations so I ask you guys. Is it possible to install baremetal DSM 6 to my microserver using the boot image the first page? Some suggests its not possible because lack of UEFI support. Thanks for your answer.

I think you need to read the thread carefully. Your answer is there.

Edited by Guest

uh sorry guys I was actually just using qc as a test to see if I got the serial number and mac address working using the guides on this forum, as I assumed that was the whole reason for doing it (as most other things seem to work without altering the serial number or mac)

I actually already run another DDNS service with a cname setup on my own domain, I didn't meant to "shoot anyone in the foot"

Is it just to get wake on lan working that you edit the serial and mac address?

Totally agree..

Use QC without a real Synology and Synology will be sure to make tweaks to their code that will close down (or severely limit) this little project..

ie.. Don't do it.. There are plenty of alternatives that won't screw this up for everyone..

#H

@everyone on this thread,

No. No LSI 2008 based controllers will work with this loader. This will not be possible until patched kernel and loader is released. I have diverted my time making a configuration tool for everyone (because I got sick of cleaning up the kernel), but will resume working on the kernel soon.

Thanks quicknick for the update and your hard work. I think there are many of us patiently awaiting the LSI 2008 kernel patch. I installed xpeno5.2 for the time being while i'm waiting.

To clarify, I started trying out the xpenology only a few months back and only started to play with qc in this dsm6, in the last week or two. I never needed the service. I don't really know what this is all about, until I found out that it could be useful for Ds cloud to back up iphone. I have yet to sort it out how. I is not working as I expected it to ( I would want it backup my iphone, but not necessarily sync, I want the files stay in the NAS even after they are being deleted from the phone). That is not the case, therefore it really has no use for me. However, this is not the reason I am stopping using it. Thank those who made me become aware that this is a mis-use of Synology service. I have no intention to harm the community, the project and Synology.

However, I don like the rheteric of how thi mesage is being conveyed to people like me. I f offended and mis-characterised. It would be more constructive if the messages are less person-oriented. This does not mean I am condoning myself.

A couple of technical questions. I am not a computer guy at all.

1, I have difficulty configuring the "external access" function as someone pointed out. I have a pfsense box with VPN service running. When I try to set up t router through "external access", it always tells me something like "I have two routers in the network". If I turn off the VPN, it seems to work. Anyway I can set it up with VPN running?

2, if I use the serial and mac address from an old Synology box, would that be okay?

Thanks

To clarify, I started trying out the xpenology only a few months back and only started to play with qc in this dsm6, in the last week or two. I never needed the service. I don't really know what this is all about, until I found out that it could be useful for Ds cloud to back up iphone. I have yet to sort it out how. I is not working as I expected it to ( I would want it backup my iphone, but not necessarily sync, I want the files stay in the NAS even after they are being deleted from the phone). That is not the case, therefore it really has no use for me. However, this is not the reason I am stopping using it. Thank those who made me become aware that this is a mis-use of Synology service. I have no intention to harm the community, the project and Synology.

However, I don like the rheteric of how thi mesage is being conveyed to people like me. I f offended and mis-characterised. It would be more constructive if the messages are less person-oriented. This does not mean I am condoning myself.

A couple of technical questions. I am not a computer guy at all.

1, I have difficulty configuring the "external access" function as someone pointed out. I have a pfsense box with VPN service running. When I try to set up t router through "external access", it always tells me something like "I have two routers in the network". If I turn off the VPN, it seems to work. Anyway I can set it up with VPN running?

2, if I use the serial and mac address from an old Synology box, would that be okay?

Thanks

You can definitely do what you want with DS cloud app on iPhone w/o QC.

DS Cloud listens to port 6690. On your router, you need to open this port to your Xpenology IP address. You can then just use many of the free DDNS service to link you DS Cloud App back to Xpenology.

On your iPhone DS cloud app, click on the first ICON "Cloud Station". You should see the folder that you picked for "sync". Click on the (!) on the right of that folder name. Under Sync direction, select "Upload only".

Now, after upload your photo to your Xpenology, you can delete those on the iPhone and stuffs on the Xpenology remain.

Technically speaking, there's nothing illegal/wrong with Xpenology project since it's based on opened source codes. Synology can't stop Xpenology if they wanted to. Quick Connect is a Synology service licensed only for their hardware's.

Synology can easily make the apps (not DSM itself but the apps within it) stop working if detected a non-genuine MAC/SN from their data base. All they need to do is delay their release of the source code for a few years and the project will die eventually (or they can just encrypt it better).

For (1), I don't quite understand your question. You have pfsense box that provides VPN server and you also have VPN server turned on in Xpenology? The option for "Router Configuration" in External Access is just a fancy way to open port in your router, it won't work if it sees 2 routers on your network. You can open port manually.

When people talk about "External access" they typically mean the first tab "DDNS" setup. That's where you do your setup to replace QC.

For (2) if you have a genuine Synology box, you can use its MAC/SN. in fact, a few years ago (before the xls file became public), many ppl bought broken Synology boxes just for the valid MAC/SN.

You can definitely do what you want with DS cloud app on iPhone w/o QC.

DS Cloud listens to port 6690. On your router, you need to open this port to your Xpenology IP address. You can then just use many of the free DDNS service to link you DS Cloud App back to Xpenology.

On your iPhone DS cloud app, click on the first ICON "Cloud Station". You should see the folder that you picked for "sync". Click on the (!) on the right of that folder name. Under Sync direction, select "Upload only".

Now, after upload your photo to your Xpenology, you can delete those on the iPhone and stuffs on the Xpenology remain.

Technically speaking, there's nothing illegal/wrong with Xpenology project since it's based on opened source codes. Synology can't stop Xpenology if they wanted to. Quick Connect is a Synology service licensed only for their hardware's.

Synology can easily make the apps (not DSM itself but the apps within it) stop working if detected a non-genuine MAC/SN from their data base. All they need to do is delay their release of the source code for a few years and the project will die eventually (or they can just encrypt it better).

For (1), I don't quite understand your question. You have pfsense box that provides VPN server and you also have VPN server turned on in Xpenology? The option for "Router Configuration" in External Access is just a fancy way to open port in your router, it won't work if it sees 2 routers on your network. You can open port manually.

When people talk about "External access" they typically mean the first tab "DDNS" setup. That's where you do your setup to replace QC.

For (2) if you have a genuine Synology box, you can use its MAC/SN. in fact, a few years ago (before the xls file became public), many ppl bought broken Synology boxes just for the valid MAC/SN.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I mistated. I was trying to setup my wife's iphone. It has not worked yet. the DS cloud app for iphone does not sync with DSM at all. I tried my blackberry, it worked but it deletes the files on the NAS whenever i deleted from my phone. This is not what I wanted. I dont need the back up at all> I was just trying to experiment if i can get this to work first. I have not tried the DS photo on blackberry. The ds photo on iphone does not sync either. I basically gave up the experiment.

Sorry for the confusion. My pfsense box was setup to use an VPN service provider, like airvpn, etc. It is not a vpn server, it is a client. No VPN was setup in the synology box. the NO-IP ddns service was set up in the pfsense router, not in the NAS. There is also an entry of DDNS under synology automatically generated when I setup the QC. i guess I can safely delete that. I would like the router to handle the DDNS.

by the way, I don't see the (!) as you indicated. I am using a lame version of android ds cloud, because it is blackbery.

Is anyone using the latest DSM Hyper Backup with Amazon Drive?! All I'm getting is a blank screen when I initiate the Hyper Backup and connect to the cloud.

Anyone have an answer to this, btw?

At which step do you have a blank screen?

If I click on Hyper Backup, it launches backup Wizard. I then can select S3 then [Next] and a backup destination settings opened up. I don't have the keys needed to go further.

Up until that point, it seems to work fine on my end.

Is anyone using the latest DSM Hyper Backup with Amazon Drive?! All I'm getting is a blank screen when I initiate the Hyper Backup and connect to the cloud.

If I click on Hyper Backup, it launches backup Wizard. I then can select S3 then [Next] and a backup destination settings opened up. I don't have the keys needed to go further.

I believe he said Amazone Drive and not S3 Storage. I also encountered a blank page. I simply went back and tried again and it worked. This has nothing to do with DSM. It's either the web browser or Amazone website.

Thanks for your reply.

I get the backup wizard. I log in, and then get to a page (synoauth.synology.com) that says:

Redirect your personal information back to http://192.168.14.10:5000, please make sure http://192.168.14.10:5000 is your DS domain.

After I confirm and click 'Next', it's just an empty page.

Thanks for your reply.

I get the backup wizard. I log in, and then get to a page (synoauth.synology.com) that says:

Redirect your personal information back to http://192.168.14.10:5000, please make sure http://192.168.14.10:5000 is your DS domain.

After I confirm and click 'Next', it's just an empty page.

P.S. If Hyper Backup requires the use of Synology services (does it?) then never mind: like others, I don't mind using Xpenology, but don't feel like defrauding Synology by using fake serials, etc. Otherwise I'd still like to know.