XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Has somebody having issue with performance under SHR2 with this new configuration under DSM6/DS3615xs ?

From previous config under Xpenology 5.2 to DSM6 New loader, transfert performance are significantly decreasing ...

5 Disks SHR2 in RDM

Xpenology 5.2 : 85 Mb/s transfer from reference PC within SSD

DSM6 New loader: 43 Mbs/s

50% less ...

Is it something linked with configuration ?

Thanks

I don't think there is any way to migrate to btrfs from ext4 without data loss. The only thing you can do is backup your data and then recreate the drives with btrfs and copy your data back.

Correct, no way to migrate within Synology DSM from ext4 to btrfs ... not nice as other Linux based systems allow the migration ...

Thanks for your thoughts.

But my idea is I have a Nas DSM 5.2 with 2TB x 8 HDDs. Data currently occupied 4 HDDs. When I finish migrating to DSM 6, I'll use the other 4 HDDs to create a new volume in Brtfs and move data from the old volume in Ext4 to the new volume. When the migration is done, I'll destroy the old volume and expand the new Brtfs volume to all 8 HDDs.

I think there is A WAY to migrate to Btrfs from Ext4, right?

What's your thoughts? Is it possilbe? :grin:

I'm with Dynax on that. From what I have read that's the process people have been using successfully. There are some things to keep in mind though...packages can't be moved to a new volume like data can and any synced folders will need to be resynchronised. I seem to remember reading about some trick you can do to make life easier with the Sync folder issue. I think the trick involves starting a sync and then stopping it, but my memory is fuzzy on the details. There maybe some other minor niggles that I don't recall?

It's not so easy to do what you plan on doing for people who can't create a new volume or don't have spare disks with enough capacity though.

Personally I'm backing up all my data externally and once that finishes I'm going to bite the bullet and do a fresh install. It's such a significant update and I'm going to end up screwing the packages anyway, so my thinking is a clean install will be best in the long term. That way I remove any garbage that may carry over from previous DSM migrations.

The plan is to install DSM6 then use Jun's solution for enabling shr. Then create the new volume/s as btrfs restore the data and reinstall/configure the packages and re-sync.

It's a daunting task and I haven't totally committed to it yet. :???:

It's not so easy to do what you plan on doing for people who can't create a new volume or don't have spare disks with enough capacity though.

Personally I'm backing up all my data externally and once that finishes I'm going to bite the bullet and do a fresh install. It's such a significant update and I'm going to end up screwing the packages anyway, so my thinking is a clean install will be best in the long term. That way I remove any garbage that may carry over from previous DSM migrations...

I totally agreed with you. If you have new (or spare) mobo + ram + hdds + case to build a quite new Nas on DSM 6, it's another story. And as you said "It's not so easy to do what you plan on doing for people who can't create a new" Nas, right?

For example, in my case , my Nas that has a AMD mobo + a SAS SLI 9211 and currently running DSM 5.2 well will have to wait (maybe forever) until somebody patches its drivers to be upgraded to DSM 6.

My humble opinion is why can't I take an advantage of using stuff from previous package (all settings, QC, especially drivers)?

I have tried all loader and its not working

:???:

Maybe the error is happening because i have inside all Sata cables on the motherboard for all 6 hdds but there are only 4 hdds 1+2 5+6 and the error says always on Sata 3+4 there is en error on the Hdds and the sataport 3+4 will be disabled.

I have tried sata = 6 or 4

Please note with 5967.1 all is working perfectly no have any issues.

:???:

Any tips ?

You MUST plug your drives into ports one, two, three and four on the motherboard.. That means looking at the motherboard and seeing where ports 1, 2, 3 and 4 are marked.

If you have a gap where there is no drive, it isn't going to work..

Plus, set SataPortMap=4 in your grub.cfg (search this thread for info)..

#H

Hi,

I'm running 5.2 with latest Xpenoboot. I would like to upgrade to 6.

I'm on Linux and running Xpenology in a KVM virtual machine. In 5.2 it was dead simple: use the provided ISO file as first boot device and add other drives for storage. All done and ready.

I'm very confused how I could accomplish this with this new loader as everything explained here is either for bare metal or for vmware exsi virtualization.

From my experience with 5.2, I would be looking for an ISO file. Maybe I would need to create it myself by converting another file attached here in this thread, but really I don't know which one it would be.

Any indications please?

Also, would I need to changes config files? I never did that with 5.2 (I don't use Synology's Diskconnect, I use my own dyndns).

Thanks

I'm with Dynax on that. From what I have read that's the process people have been using successfully. There are some things to keep in mind though...packages can't be moved to a new volume like data can and any synced folders will need to be resynchronised. I seem to remember reading about some trick you can do to make life easier with the Sync folder issue. I think the trick involves starting a sync and then stopping it, but my memory is fuzzy on the details. There maybe some other minor niggles that I don't recall?

Personally I'm backing up all my data externally and once that finishes I'm going to bite the bullet and do a fresh install. It's such a significant update and I'm going to end up screwing the packages anyway, so my thinking is a clean install will be best in the long term. That way I remove any garbage that may carry over from previous DSM migrations.

The plan is to install DSM6 then use Jun's solution for enabling shr. Then create the new volume/s as btrfs restore the data and reinstall/configure the packages and re-sync.

It's a daunting task and I haven't totally committed to it yet. :???:

I should clarify this: Moving data from one volume to the next should be done by "Share Folder" Click on the Data directory then "Edit" then under the "Location" use the pull down menu to move that directory to a new volume.

You should be able to move everything over to the new volume this way then delete the old volume.

the current loader is a dynamic hack, not compiled from a released source code. Upgrading beyond DSM 6 may not be as simple as before.

Personally I'm backing up all my data externally and once that finishes I'm going to bite the bullet and do a fresh install. It's such a significant update and I'm going to end up screwing the packages anyway, so my thinking is a clean install will be best in the long term. That way I remove any garbage that may carry over from previous DSM migrations...

I totally agreed with you. If you have new (or spare) mobo + ram + hdds + case to build a quite new Nas on DSM 6, it's another story. And as you said "It's not so easy to do what you plan on doing for people who can't create a new" Nas, right?

For example, in my case , my Nas that has a AMD mobo + a SAS SLI 9211 and currently running DSM 5.2 well will have to wait (maybe forever) until somebody patches its drivers to be upgraded to DSM 6.

My humble opinion is why can't I take an advantage of using stuff from previous package (all settings, QC, especially drivers)?

Luckily the Gen8 is intel based so I have a system to play with. My Gen7 is AMD and I feel your pain! Hopeful one of the smart members here will take pity on us and build an AMD img in the not too distant future. :smile: I'm far to stupid to do it myself unfortunately. :oops:

I should clarify this: Moving data from one volume to the next should be done by "Share Folder" Click on the Data directory then "Edit" then under the "Location" use the pull down menu to move that directory to a new volume.

You should be able to move everything over to the new volume this way then delete the old volume.

the current loader is a dynamic hack, not compiled from a released source code. Upgrading beyond DSM 6 may not be as simple as before.

Yes that's right, the shares need to be moved to the new/alternative volume, I can see where that could be open to error good catch! Sadly the packages can't be moved in that way afaik so that's still an issue.

EDIT:

You need to be careful with Encrypted folders!

Running Expenology involves a degree of risk, and it's even more of an issue for serious production environments especially if the server is running mission critical tasks and data management. My systems are more for fun and learning than anything serious, plus I keep multiple copies of important data on different system and external storage devices. The really important stuff is stored on multiple nas units, about five PC's, external USB's and thumb drives. Some serious s*** would have to go down for them all to fail at the same time. :eek: And if that happens the state of my data will probably be the last thing on my mind. :grin:

@jpbaril,

There is no iso available currently and I don't recall anyone in this tread saying they are working on one. Not that that means someone out there isn't having a crack at it. Members of the community can be quite resourceful. :ugeek::cool:

Edited by Guest

For ESXi users, does anyone know how to change the Syno Boot VMDK from SATA 0:0 to another port? Wanted to set the boot drive to a different port so that in DSM the data drives show up a Port/Slot 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. Right now disks start at Port/Slot 2. I tried moving the boot VMDK to other SATA ports and even IDE and SCSI 0;0, but the install fails. I might be missing something simple.

Thanks for all the hard work and effort from @jun and others on this project

Tested under ESXi with test disks (real sata disks SHR2 mounted via RDM) on Gen 8 ... only issue is that nobody knows how to change S/N MAC1 MAC2 in the install VMDK

Ummm. Yeah I do.. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to do! Always a chance! :wink:

I thought I'd suggested a method (maybe I dreamed it?). :smile:

ESXi..

You set up your VM in ESXi as you like it..

Shut it down.

Go to the datastore on the host.

Download the Boot drive VMDK of your VM to a new EMPTY folder on your PC.. You will note that there is more than one file when you download it (this is normal)..

Your PC..

You should have Vmware workstation on your machine - this will allow you to Mount VMDK files as drive letters.

Map the first VMDK file you downloaded to a Drive letter (NOT the vmdk file that has 'flat' or something in the file name), be sure to untick the 'read only' check box when mapping..

Go to the drive you mapped and edit the grub.cfg file. Save the file.

Disconnect the mapped drive (right click on the VMDK file again) on your PC.

ESXi again..

Next, go back to your datastore and upload BOTH vmdk files to the same location, one at a time.

Close the datastore folder and power on your VM again.

Watch how your SN and MAC addresses have changed..

Have a beer..

Yes, I've tested it and it works..

#H

My pc restarts (win10) when I try to disconnect the vmdk, nothing saved; VMware® Workstation 12 Pro (12.5.0 build-4352439)

My pc restarts (win10) when I try to disconnect the vmdk, nothing saved; VMware® Workstation 12 Pro (12.5.0 build-4352439)

if you are comfortable with shell, just ssh into DSM, type

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/syno_install_flag

mount /dev/synoboot1 /mnt

/mnt/grub/grub.cfg

umount /mnt

I can't post a log as there is no SSH access however the N54L appears to freeze during/after PCI enumeration which would explain why nobody can find the device on Synology Assistant or on their network.

I was looking for a core dump or something to pinpoint where it was failing but nothing obvious stood out, the below is all I found out.

Last messages in the boot process are similar to the below:

[ 0.193677] NET: Registered protocol family 2

[ 0.194016] TCP established hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)

[ 0.194303] TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes)

[ 0.194726] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 65536 bind 65536)

[ 0.194791] TCP: reno registered

[ 0.194799] UDP hash table entries: 4096 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

[ 0.194869] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 4096 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

[ 0.194985] NET: Registered protocol family 1

Prints a couple lines like:

[ 0.193611] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 0 [io 0xc000-0xcfff]

[ 0.193612] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 1 [mem 0xfe600000-0xfe7fffff]

[ 0.193613] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 2 [mem 0xfe000000-0xfe1fffff 64bit pref]

then freezes

I tried

I'm not familiar with linux but willing to try; I was thinking that I could mount the image and then edit the file from winscp, but can't. I'll look for another editor

edit:

edited and saved with vi editor, still has the old sn after restarting the vm.

winscp is fine, but it maybe not easily be connected as root user.

so you need change the above mount line as something like this, to give non-root use full access to the boot partition.

mount -o umask=0 /dev/synoboot1 /mnt

there are a few possible reasons cause it not got saved:

1. your boot disk is set to non-persistence

2. you did not properly umount the disk after editing.

3. vi is not really beginner friendly.

I can't post a log as there is no SSH access however the N54L appears to freeze during/after PCI enumeration which would explain why nobody can find the device on Synology Assistant or on their network.

I was looking for a core dump or something to pinpoint where it was failing but nothing obvious stood out, the below is all I found out.

Last messages in the boot process are similar to the below:

[ 0.193677] NET: Registered protocol family 2

[ 0.194016] TCP established hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)

[ 0.194303] TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes)

[ 0.194726] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 65536 bind 65536)

[ 0.194791] TCP: reno registered

[ 0.194799] UDP hash table entries: 4096 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

[ 0.194869] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 4096 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

[ 0.194985] NET: Registered protocol family 1

Prints a couple lines like:

[ 0.193611] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 0 [io 0xc000-0xcfff]

[ 0.193612] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 1 [mem 0xfe600000-0xfe7fffff]

[ 0.193613] pci_bus 0000:02: resource 2 [mem 0xfe000000-0xfe1fffff 64bit pref]

then freezes

The synology kernel do not have AMD CPU support compiled in, so it is expected that AMD box can not run properly.

Adding support requires a full recompilation from source or some non-trivial patch to the synology kernel, both solution has its own difficulties.

I personally does not have the hardware, so It may be a long wait before something positive happens.

Tested under ESXi with test disks (real sata disks SHR2 mounted via RDM) on Gen 8 ... only issue is that nobody knows how to change S/N MAC1 MAC2 in the install VMDK

Ummm. Yeah I do.. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to do! Always a chance! :wink:

I thought I'd suggested a method (maybe I dreamed it?). :smile:

#H

Hmmm. I'm using Win10 and it's fine. Try closing all programs you can (that you aren't using) even on the taskbar..

I'm still on 12.1.1 pro.. Maybe try that version (12.5 is still relatively new)?

I'd maybe try disabling your virusscanner for a minute or two - just in case..

#H

I tried

I'm not familiar with linux but willing to try; I was thinking that I could mount the image and then edit the file from winscp, but can't. I'll look for another editor

edit:

so you need change the above mount line as something like this, to give non-root use full access to the boot partition.

WinSCP works fine for me as root.. Trick to get it working with root is to manually reset your root password using SSH before you try to connect with WinSCP as root..

Otherwise you get an access denied error.

Much easier using WinSCP to browse through the files and even edit them! :smile:

Think it's something like (and you probably need to run sudo -i first);

synouser --setpw root PasswordHere

#H

Disconnect the mapped drive (right click on the VMDK file again) on your PC.

ESXi again..

Next, go back to your datastore and upload BOTH vmdk files to the same location, one at a time.

Close the datastore folder and power on your VM again.

Watch how your SN and MAC addresses have changed..

Have a beer..

#H

Disconnect VMDK mapped drive from VMWare Workstation, works fine for me ... disconnect right click in explorer crashed ...

I tried

edit:

Yes the boot drive is non persistent, I'll change that and try again. I can't get root in winscp, incorect password, just with the admin user I have access but read only.

With workstation the pc restarts on disconnect from the program, same as from Explorer.

Quickconnect is not important to me, I manage just fine using a free dns, but I wanted to make it work just to pass some time :smile:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I tried

edit:

Yes the boot drive is non persistent, I'll change that and try again. I can't get root in winscp, incorect password, just with the admin user I have access but read only.

With workstation the pc restarts on disconnect from the program, same as from Explorer.

Quickconnect is not important to me, I manage just fine using a free dns, but I wanted to make it work just to pass some time :smile:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You can do this to reset the root password:

Synology simply has not set a password for account root (actually the locked it out using a "*" for password hash). Here is how to enable the root access for ssh/scp:

Here's the source: > https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 75#p424956

1. Login using putty or any other ssh client with administrator account (usually "admin")

2. You will be asked for a password. Enter the one for the administrator account

3. You will get a command prompt

4. Enter: sudo su -

5. You will be asked for a password. Enter again the one for the administrator account

6. You will get a command prompt root@...

7. Enter command: synouser --setpw root your_new_root_password

For "your_new_root_password" please use the desired password for root account.

Now you can login using "ssh root@your_diskstation" as usual (of course this work for scp also). No more hassle with sudo...

P.S. I had trouble resetting the password when I used special characters so if that happens try something less complex with alpha numeric characters only.

i have succesfully upgraded to newest dsm on HP Gen7 but the server refuse to create any drive and shuts off the controller cause it detects Abnormality and shuts the drives off.

i cant seem to create any raid and the server shuts down the controller.. but the installation whent fine with no errors.

but also the wierd thing is that there is no zImage.lzma its stil looks like its using the old methoed on 5.2 version and also the same syslinux.cfg file

i have made a video of it.

The problem was with the drive, I changed it to persistent and now the changes remain after boot; I also fixed the root issue as suggested, and I can use winscp with root now. using VI editor it's not that hard, but for noobs like me notepad it's more easy.

The vmdk unmount issue (pc restart) it's still present with the persistent drive; I changed back to non-persistent for future use of the vm, I think that's how it is suposed to be used.

Thank you all for your help with such minor and elementary linux stuff :smile: