XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Is anyone using esxi 6 + dsm6 + RDM diaks ? I can't add RDM disks to it; this is my ususal setup on the gen8, only 16gb drive on the datastore for the system and all the storage added via RDM. In dsm 5 works perfect but with dsm 6 I get errors when trying to add the rdm to the vm. I get the pat file from the synology site, i set it up, configure after the first boot, all ok, jus can't add RDM's :sad:

Power Button

I haven't managed to get the power button fix working so far. :sad:

First impressions

The served has been on DSM 6 for the past 5 days with a few reboots here and there setting up WOL and trying to get the PowerButton working. Moved some large ish chunks of data around, local joomla dev sites are working (public access not tested). SSH/SCP with root access working. Video station is working as expected.

Very happy with first impressions. :smile:

what problem have you got with your power button?

I was trying to sort out the Power Down Button fix so the server can enter a controlled shutdown by short pressing the physical power button.

I have issues trying to create a new hyperbackup to webdav or creating a lets encrypt certificate, when I try doing these on the gen 8 I get the following error: The operation failed. Please login to DSM again and retry.

restarted dsm already but no differnce

I haven't got that far yet. VPN and Lets Encrypt are on the todo list. Sorry I can't be of any help.

ah cool, I never shut it down that way so I'm ok on that front.

I'm looking forward to hearing your findings on lets encrypt. VPN is working fin for me already.

Hi there,

How to tell whether WOL is working or not?

Thanks

Simple. Turn off your NAS. Then try a WOL see if it starts up :lol:

If you don't know what it means then you probably don't have a use for it.

Personally I did not have to fiddle with anything to have WOL working. I simply used the real MAC addresses of my 2 NICS and generated the serial with the famous excel serial generating file. WOL works as expected.

How did you generate a serial that matches a specific MAC address, let's say the real MAC of the ethernet card? The instruction says that SN and MAC come in pairs and must match in order for the Quickconnect to work. I use Quickconnect.

Hi there,

How to tell whether WOL is working or not?

Thanks

How did you generate a serial that matches a specific MAC address, let's say the real MAC of the ethernet card? The instruction says that SN and MAC come in pairs and must match in order for the Quickconnect to work. I use Quickconnect.

Are we talking about wol or quickconnect? Those are two different things.

I did not generate a serial that matched my mac addresses. I simply generated the serial for the sake of it. That's all I needed for wol to work. In fact I could have invented a random serial that would have probably worked aswell.

Regarding quickconnect, personally I do not condone the abuse of synology's services so I am not interested in making that work. In fact I even think this old method doesn't work anymore but maybe I am wrong. Anyhow there is in fact no need to have quickconnect working since you can very easily setup a custom DDNS within DSM that would have the exact same function as quickconnect.

Edited by Guest

For those of you still using ESXi 6 u2 (so many bare metal users of late), I was able to upgrade flawlessly (from oktisme's image), all the way to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2, without any problem. :smile: The install consisted of a (very rapid) migration of my old disks, and editing /usr/share/init/syno_poweroff_task.conf, to avoid the 'improper shutdown' issue.

Everything seems to work. Hard disk temperature status can be read properly, and all S.M.A.R.T. info. And it boots up real fast! Perfect version! And many thanks to the OP for making this!

Same for me as simple test, but how do you manage to update S/N MAC1 MAC2 from VMDK file in order to support Quickconnect etc. (don't care about quickconnect, but some package update shall be blocked under DSM6 if you've not a valid S/N ...)

I Tried

- Oracle VM VirtualBox Disk Tool

- OSFMount

- PowerISO

- ImDisk Mount

- VMWare VDDK ToolKit

- Diskmount batch

- ImgBurn

- WinISO

- DaemonTool

- VMWare WorkStation 12 Disk Map

None was able to open in write mode the provided VMDK ...

Thanks

The problem is not the NIC as broadcom and realtek are present. I think it's because Gen7 have AMD cpu but vanilla kernel is build only for Intel :/

To make it to work, I (or someone else) need to rebuild full kernel & modules but... i will be busy for next days :sad:

Another vote for vanilla kernel is built for AMD too. Not just for Gen7 but a lot of other people who are currently using AMD mobos.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone experiencing kernel panic after enable jumbo frame (MTU 9000) for network interface?

I don't know if it's a kernel panic but I just tried increasing mtu to 9000 and now the NAS wont reboot. At least DSM doesn't seem to boot but I can still ping the NAS. I can't ssh it though as the connection is refused.

Any way to solve this other than reinstalling?

edit: strangely I can also VPN in it so that means that DSM is actually loaded. I can't ssh though.

edit 2: I can't even reinstall as Synology Assistant or find.synology.com do not see the NAS on the network.

edit 3: I am also able to access my plex server. Still no luck in accessing dsm itself or ssh.

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When doing migration from 5.2 using gen8 image i can't migrate, the pat from synology site keeps give error 13 in 40% i'm missing something?

Thanks

Which img file did you use to make your boot USB?

Anyone experiencing kernel panic after enable jumbo frame (MTU 9000) for network interface?

I don't know if it's a kernel panic but I just tried increasing mtu to 9000 and now the NAS wont reboot. At least DSM doesn't seem to boot but I can still ping the NAS. I can't ssh it though as the connection is refused.

edit: strangely I can also VPN in it so that means that DSM is actually loaded. I can't ssh though.

edit 2: I can't even reinstall as Synology Assistant or find.synology.com do not see the NAS on the network.

edit 3: I am also able to access my plex server. Still no luck in accessing dsm itself or ssh.

Anyone?

Can you use a linux boot image and edit the mtu value in the conf file and see if the box boots after that?

I haven't tried sweebee's img but other people have reported successful installs using it.

You could try using Setsunakawa's img here > http://www.xpenology.com/forum/viewtopi ... =90#p73344 but you will need to update the romdisk with the one Jun patched in the OP. You need his Bare metal uefi img. Use it to create a USB boot disk and copy the romdisk to your local drive. Now use Setsunakawa's img to create a new USB boot and copy Jun's romdisk file to the new USB. Edit the grub with your vid, pid, serial # and mac. That's what worked for me.

P.S. you could try this first it's a later version of Setsunakawa's img which has Jun's patched romdisk included plus some other nic drivers. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=360#p74364 it might work OK and save you a few steps.

Can you use a linux boot image and edit the mtu value in the conf file and see if the box boots after that?

Sounds reasonably smart. Wonder where my brain is lately

Thanks for the heads up.

Clues of where that conf file is?

Sounds reasonably smart. Wonder where my brain is lately

Thanks for the heads up.

Clues of where that conf file is?

I think you need to edit root/etc/synoinfo.conf

supportMTU="yes"

eth3_mtu="1500"

eth2_mtu="1500"

eth1_mtu="1500"

eth0_mtu="1500"

Failing that grep is your friend.

I have been able to mount the raid volume on a ubuntu live cd but I can't access system files all I see is my data/shared folders. Help would be appreciated.

Literally the first link in Google results. I have used this method to recovery data before and it was really a life saver.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... using_a_PC

Google is your friend bro.

EDIT:

Look at me being all mouthy without reading the fine details lol. I do not believe I have ever had to gain access to the system partition during recovery, what exactly do you need to recover from the system and not your arrays shared data?

This looked interesting, but I did not read far into it.

http://valentijn.sessink.nl/?p=557

I have been able to mount the raid volume on a ubuntu live cd but I can't access system files all I see is my data/shared folders. Help would be appreciated.

Literally the first link in Google results. I have used this method to recovery data before and it was really a life saver.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... using_a_PC

Google is your friend bro.

EDIT:

Look at me being all mouthy without reading the fine details lol. I do not believe I have ever had to gain access to the system partition during recovery, what exactly do you need to recover from the system and not your arrays shared data?

Yes sometimes it's good to read prior posting. :wink:

This said, I believe you still haven't read throroughtly because I already gave the reasons why I need to access the system partition a few posts back. Look at page 47.

You need one of the resident linux gurus! You may get a wider audience by opening a thread in the main forum section?

I guess you need some way of mounting the system partitions?

Not sure if this will help or not? > http://superuser.com/questions/550064/h ... nology-box

Yes you are right, system partition.

Rebuilding the array is somewhat simple. Just issue the following command after having installed mdadm and lvm2.

mdadm -Asf && vgchange -ay

That rebuilds the array and makes the content of the data partition available. The problem is that I have tried mounting the system partitions /sda2 and /sdb2 (which I beleive are the system partitions) and I get an error saying there is "no superblock" followed by an "assembly aborted". In fact I get the same error for all other partitions except the data partitions.

I guess you are right I will open a new topic as this is beyond the scope of this thread.

Edited by Guest

I do not believe I have ever had to gain access to the system partition during recovery, what exactly do you need to recover from the system and not your arrays shared data?

He needs access to the system because he is trying to recover the system, not just the data. All he needs to do is change a couple of digits on one line in a system config file. The issue is gaining access to the conf file. :shock: