XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

anyone got wake on lan working? I enabled it in the bios and in synology, but no success.

Should the original mac address work?

GEN 8 Baremetal

Also see this post for installation details > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74296#p74295

WOL

I finally got WOL working you just need to use the old method of placing the shutdown file in the rc.d folder and making it executable. The folder has moved from "root/usr/syno/etc/rc.d" to "Root/usr/local/etc/rc.d". Thanks Tigs > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=410#p74476

Synology assistant WOL brings the server back to life as well as other 3rd party tools. Make sure you use the MAC in your grub config file.

Hello someone got the WOL working?

The old method (http://xpenology.me/how-to-activate-wol/) is not to work anymore, there is no longer rc.d

See above.

Root password reset after DSM 6 migration note this also applies to fresh installs.

The issue I was having resetting the root password seems to be due to the fact that my pw included special characters? Once I used alphabetic and numeric characters the password set and now I can get root access with WinSCP. :smile:

Source: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 75#p424956

muelleh wrote:

Even if I don't know why so many users will ssh or scp with the root account, here is how to enable that.

Synology simply has not set a password for account root (actually the locked it out using a "*" for password hash). Here is how to enable the root access for ssh/scp:

1. Login using putty or any other ssh client with administrator account (usually "admin")

2. You will be asked for a password. Enter the one for the administrator account

3. You will get a command prompt

4. Enter: sudo su -

5. You will be asked for a password. Enter again the one for the administrator account

6. You will get a command prompt root@...

7. Enter command: synouser --setpw root your_new_root_password

For "your_new_root_password" please use the desired password for root account.

Now you can login using "ssh root@your_diskstation" as usual (of course this work for scp also). No more hassle with sudo...

Power Save

The power save seems to work OK without the need to upload files etc. and it's set for "power save" mode by default. My Gen8 G1610T is running @ 1600Mhz on average.

Update:

I think I made a mistake on the governor state mentioned above so I went for plan b...

I uploaded the old S99PowersavingINTEL.sh script to root/user/local/etc/rc.d/ and setup the crone job and the power cpu frequency is changing as expected.

Other users have been reporting correct functionality without making any changes to the default installation.

Power Button

I haven't managed to get the power button fix working so far. :sad:

Update:

The power button fix is usable again see this post by Arcao here > viewtopic.php?f=2&p=75406#p75404 . :smile:

Update:

SHR and BTRFS

SHR with Btrfs works for migrated DSM5.X systems and I can confirm that it also works on fresh baremetal builds using Jun's pro tip provided below under SHR support.

If you migrate your system you need to remove the volume/s and then recreate it/them using btrfs in order to switch from the ext4 file system. Make sure you backup your data, packages are an issue, synced folders need special attention and encrypted folders/files also require special attention, once you start moving things about! Make sure you cover your bases and if in doubt don't risk your data.

For fresh builds you simply select btrfs rather than ext4 when you create your volume/s.

First impressions

The served has been on DSM 6 for the past 5 days with a few reboots here and there setting up WOL and trying to get the PowerButton working. Moved some large ish chunks of data around, local joomla dev sites are working (public access not tested). SSH/SCP with root access working. Video station is working as expected.

Very happy with first impressions. :smile:

Also see this post for installation details > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74296#p74295

Edit:

Useful tips from this thread:

SHR support:

Important! Make sure you edit the synoinfo.conf in the etc.defaults folder.

See this post by Jun > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=440#p74525

For SHR support

just edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

press F5 on you web browser

Using SataPortMap=

See post by Setsunakawa > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=430#p74497

SataPortMap=4 means first 4 ports of 1st controler.

SataPortMap=44 means first 4 ports of 1st controler and first 4 ports of 2nd controler.

SataPortMap=422 means first 4 ports of 1st controler, first 2 ports of 2nd controler and first 2 ports of 3rd controle

Improper Shutdown (no console issue)

See post by meimeiriver here > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=620#p75437

"(...) changed the console output on the following service only ... /usr/share/init/syno_poweroff_task.conf:console output ... from "console output" to "console none". After reboot the error of "improper shutdown" is gone."

Other useful posts

Polanskiman's Installation Guide from page 33: > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74296#p74295

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

The problem is not the NIC as broadcom and realtek are present. I think it's because Gen7 have AMD cpu but vanilla kernel is build only for Intel :/

To make it to work, I (or someone else) need to rebuild full kernel & modules but... i will be busy for next days :sad:

I understand now

I'll be lurking in the shadows :lol:

thank you setsunakawa

I have tried all loader and its not working

:???:

Maybe the error is happening because i have inside all Sata cables on the motherboard for all 6 hdds but there are only 4 hdds 1+2 5+6 and the error says always on Sata 3+4 there is en error on the Hdds and the sataport 3+4 will be disabled.

I have tried sata = 6 or 4

Please note with 5967.1 all is working perfectly no have any issues.

:???:

Any tips ?

the Motherboard its a h87 s plus

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87PLUS/

thank you

@nemesis122 : put disks on port 1,2,3,4 and put SataPortMap=4 in grub.cfg

SataPortMap=4 means first 4 ports of 1st controler.

SataPortMap=44 means first 4 ports of 1st controler and first 4 ports of 2nd controler.

SataPortMap=422 means first 4 ports of 1st controler, first 2 ports of 2nd controler and first 2 ports of 3rd controler.

@Aigor : Yes i've got some warning but after enabling storage drivers, you will get error and you will have to patch them.

After pathing them, modules will build but lot's of them will not work...

I can make a diff patch if you want ?

In the name of hacking, thank you :grin:

I have added drivers/tty/vt/vt.c with old one comes from xpenology kernel to see if we can have a console not only in serial mode, i'm compiling

Power Button

First impressions

The served has been on DSM 6 for the past 5 days with a few reboots here and there setting up WOL and trying to get the PowerButton working. Moved some large ish chunks of data around, local joomla dev sites are working (public access not tested). SSH/SCP with root access working. Video station is working as expected.

what problem have you got with your power button?

I have issues trying to create a new hyperbackup to webdav or creating a lets encrypt certificate, when I try doing these on the gen 8 I get the following error: The operation failed. Please login to DSM again and retry.

restarted dsm already but no differnce

No lucky my own kernel doesn't boot :shock: and i don't know why.

My passes

installing compiler and ad alias to point it

extract config.gz via configs.ko

added option in menuconfdig to add vga console

compiled

copied to usb stick

modified grub entry to point to new zImage

Power Button

First impressions

what problem have you got with your power button?

I was trying to sort out the Power Down Button fix so the server can enter a controlled shutdown by short pressing the physical power button.

I have issues trying to create a new hyperbackup to webdav or creating a lets encrypt certificate, when I try doing these on the gen 8 I get the following error: The operation failed. Please login to DSM again and retry.

restarted dsm already but no differnce

I haven't got that far yet. VPN and Lets Encrypt are on the todo list. Sorry I can't be of any help.

For those of you still using ESXi 6 u2 (so many bare metal users of late), I was able to upgrade flawlessly (from oktisme's image), all the way to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2, without any problem. :smile: The install consisted of a (very rapid) migration of my old disks, and editing /usr/share/init/syno_poweroff_task.conf, to avoid the 'improper shutdown' issue.

Everything seems to work. Hard disk temperature status can be read properly, and all S.M.A.R.T. info. And it boots up real fast! Perfect version! And many thanks to the OP for making this!

Got my Gen8 upgraded. Seems there is now a built in apps group which ruined my custom one so some packages wouldn't run without some changes.

It causes a bit of odd behaviour in that after a short period of running iLO will crash and the fans will ramp up. This is only temporary as it recovers after a while.

Not to be the party pooper here but I think that providing modified loaders from Jun's OP only serves to confuse people and also derails the efforts made so far. I know some are invested into helping others by adding additional drivers and compatibility options but I think it just makes this thread heavier and heavier to follow. I would recommend perhaps those who have the ability to compile code to do it in cooperation with Jun and then post as one. This would have the advantage of greatly improving readability and also making sure there is only one source of the loader. Maybe making a new thread with a proper loader name and versioning system would help. One person would be in charge of updating the OP when required. @jun @setsunakawa @quicknick @sweebee

Please consider this.

I think something like wiki works best for this kind of work-in-progress community efforts.

The essential part is already there, and I will rely on the community for further improvement.

Please, is there any way to make a loader that uses a version that supports SHR natively?

Maybe DS1815+ or something like that?

I am absolutely willing to test/work on to help, but I am no big linux-whiz I'm afraid...

You dont need a DS1815+ for SHR support

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

For those of you still using ESXi 6 u2 (so many bare metal users of late), I was able to upgrade flawlessly (from oktisme's image), all the way to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2, without any problem. :smile: The install consisted of a (very rapid) migration of my old disks, and editing /usr/share/init/syno_poweroff_task.conf, to avoid the 'improper shutdown' issue.

Everything seems to work. Hard disk temperature status can be read properly, and all S.M.A.R.T. info. And it boots up real fast! Perfect version! And many thanks to the OP for making this!

How do you get S.M.A.R.T. working in Esxi6 u2

It show not available in my dsm :cry:

Hi there,

How to tell whether WOL is working or not?

Thanks

WOL

I finally got WOL working you just need to use the old method of placing the shutdown file in the rc.d folder and making it executable. The folder has moved from "root/usr/syno/etc-defaults/rc.d" to "Root/usr/local/etc/rc.d". Thanks Tigs > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=410#p74476

Synology assistant WOL brings the server back to life.

How do you get S.M.A.R.T. working in Esxi6 u2

It show not available in my dsm :cry:

Nothing special, reallly. I'm using my old ICH10 controller, in pass-thru; and whereas the S.M.A.R.T info didn't work for in in oktisme's patch, with this one it simply does:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhSxhQ9g_mrMhzVrZl2lD3LfIXFr

Hi there,

How to tell whether WOL is working or not?

Thanks

Simple. Turn off your NAS. Then try a WOL see if it starts up :lol:

If you don't know what it means then you probably don't have a use for it.

Personally I did not have to fiddle with anything to have WOL working. I simply used the real MAC addresses of my 2 NICS and generated the serial with the famous excel serial generating file. WOL works as expected.

Edited by Guest

Please, is there any way to make a loader that uses a version that supports SHR natively?

Maybe DS1815+ or something like that?

I am absolutely willing to test/work on to help, but I am no big linux-whiz I'm afraid...

You dont need a DS1815+ for SHR support

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

Thanks so much, saved my day :smile:

Anyone experiencing kernel panic after enable jumbo frame (MTU 9000) for network interface?

I don't know if it's a kernel panic but I just tried increasing mtu to 9000 and now the NAS wont reboot. At least DSM doesn't seem to boot but I can still ping the NAS. I can't ssh it though as the connection is refused.

Any way to solve this other than reinstalling?

edit: strangely I can also VPN in it so that means that DSM is actually loaded. I can't ssh though.

edit 2: I can't even reinstall as Synology Assistant or find.synology.com do not see the NAS on the network.

edit 3: I am also able to access my plex server. Still no luck in accessing dsm itself or ssh.

Edited by Guest