XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

As somebody find a way to edit the VMDK file for ESXi in order to edit Grub.cfg ?

Still blocked in the deployment on ESXi to migrate previous Xpenology 5.2 ... Baremetal works fine, as the vmdk for test, but for real use on ESXi it's mandatory to edit Grub.cfg ...

thanks

It's in the thread.. Download OSFMount tool and make sure you've not got the VM open - and read only isn't ticked.. :smile:

http://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

Hello friends!

tell me plz how do you fink junuefibios.zip is worked on HP gen8 ?

You could test this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=360#p74364 it's an updated version which includes the patched ramdisk plus some additional network drivers.

To answer your question...yes, that loader works for the Gen8 but you need to add the patched ramdisk included in Jun's Bare metal UEFI from the OP.

Also see this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=320#p74295

This loader is also reported to work with the Gen8 and it includes the patched ramdisk http://www.xpenology.com/forum/viewtopi ... 260#p74147

The root login password seems to have changed after the migration. Logging in via ssh as root with my original pw from dsm 5.2.x no longer works. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

Also the "root/usr/syno/etc/rc.d" seems to have been removed in dsm 6.

WOL isn't working for me with the real or spoofed mac. I can't test the shutdown fix or edit the files to change the "console output" entries without root access.

Is there away of changing or viewing the root password without root access?

You should be able to connect to a ssh session with your personal account.

If you want to open a file r/w use sudo.

For examle "sudo vi /etc/crontab"

That's the first thing I tried after the root login failed. I logged in as the main admin account and issue a sudo command and then I just get a password challenge, which obviously requires the active root pw.

Has anyone else experienced a change to the root user password after migrating to DSM 6?

@Aigor,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it's not changing the PW. I get the message "synouser.c:681 Arguments error, need, [username, newpasswd]" ?

That's the first thing I tried after the root login failed. I logged in as the main admin account and issue a sudo command and then I just get a password challenge, which obviously requires the active root pw.

Has anyone else experienced a change to the root user password after migrating to DSM 6?

@Aigor,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it's not changing the PW. I get the message "synouser.c:681 Arguments error, need, [username, newpasswd]" ?

Synology does not allow root access anymore directly in DSM 6.

What you can do is:

ssh with admin. Once in, issue the following command:

sudo -i

enter your admin password again. Done. You are now root.

Edited by Guest

@Aigor,

ssh with admin. Once in, issue the following command:

sudo -i

enter your admin password again. Done. You are now root.

Great stuff that nailed it, thanks for that! :smile:

Root access , changing pasword

ssh to NAS with user created in installation process

after login in type

sudo synouser --setpw root 

That's it

Hope it helps

Although possible that is bad practice and there is a reason why the password for root access is different from the admin account.

If you need root access simply

sudo -i

or

sudo su -

You can also set ssh keys to access your NAS which will give you root access but in a much more secure way.

Edited by Guest

@Aigor,

Hi, you have to issue command like this

sudo synouser --setpw root yourdesiredpassword 

Where yourdesiredpassword it's new root password , it worked for me

The "RC.d" directory previously located under "root/usr/syno/etc-defaults/rc.d" has now been moved to:

"Root/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

I am able to put a script in this folder to automatically mount a directory in a USB drive:

"Sleep 5

Mount --bind /volumeUSB1/usbshare/downloads /volume1/downloads

Sleep 5"

@Aigor,

Hi, you have to issue command like this

sudo synouser --setpw root yourdesiredpassword 

Where yourdesiredpassword it's new root password , it worked for me

That's what I did and then there was/is a password challenge and the challenge needs the root pw it seems.

It seems like this is a security feature of DSM6? > http://serverquestions.com/questions/lm ... s-not-work

Which ties in with what Polanskiman is saying. I get the why I don't get the lack of user notification/control when such a fundamental change is made? Stuff like that shouldn't happen automatically behind the scenes imho.

The issue isn't that the main DSM Admin user pw needs to be different to the root user the issue is how the hell do you set/reset the root pw to something you actually know?

It's OK to elevate to root using sudo -i but it's no good if you want to login via WinSCP as root or when the shell throws up a root pw challenge.

As somebody find a way to edit the VMDK file for ESXi in order to edit Grub.cfg ?

Still blocked in the deployment on ESXi to migrate previous Xpenology 5.2 ... Baremetal works fine, as the vmdk for test, but for real use on ESXi it's mandatory to edit Grub.cfg ...

thanks

It's in the thread.. Download OSFMount tool and make sure you've not got the VM open - and read only isn't ticked.. :smile:

http://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

Thanks, but unfortunatly it do not work with the VMDK file provided in Page 1 for EXSi. Extracting ovf and vmdk file, under OSFMount the disk is mounted but it's not possible to select partition/mount it, under Windows Disk Mgt tool the both partition are shown but not possible to assign to a drive letter ...

Something wrong on the way I proceed ? (Under VMWare Workstation 12, it's possible to map the VMDK but not to open it in write mode :sad: )

I desesperetly tried to find a solution ...

Thanks.

No DVB drivers included

I know that no drivers are included, but i can compile dvb modules.

In xpe some versions dvb doesent work even with modules loaded.

Do you think is possible to load modules and work??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@CtrlAltDel did you get to manage to get it working on your Gen7?

No, no success so far Setsunakawa said we need more drivers due to amd v intel. Orphée uploaded a dump of the Gen7 drivers etc. hopefully that will help Setsunakawa build us a working boot img? He doesn't have a Gen7 to test against so I'm sure it wont be that straight forward.

I've posted the source on this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74348#p74348

I use gcc from branch 7393 and kernel from branch 7274. But beware, some modules need to be patched to work in a non syno box (like lsi sas).

You can find developper.pdf to help you to build modules or kernel.

ramdisk.lzma is rd.gz from .pat file. (you can make your own from pat or reuse jun one or mine)

use unlzma to uncompress, and cpio to extract. Make change, again use cpio tu make a new container and lzma to compress it.

Hybrid EFI/BIOS is made from grub-install from ubuntu installed in EFI mode.

I've posted the source on this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74348#p74348

I use gcc from branch 7393 and kernel from branch 7274. But beware, some modules need to be patched to work in a non syno box (like lsi sas).

You can find developper.pdf to help you to build modules or kernel.

ramdisk.lzma is rd.gz from .pat file. (you can make your own from pat or reuse jun one or mine)

use unlzma to uncompress, and cpio to extract. Make change, again use cpio tu make a new container and lzma to compress it.

Hybrid EFI/BIOS is made from grub-install from ubuntu installed in EFI mode.

Many Thanks, i will try in the nigth and post results :grin:

Hope you guys could help another NAS user out setsunakawa :smile:

My old HP N40L has the same issue not detecting any network card drivers.

Here is my Xpnology DSM5 details

lsmod -> http://pastebin.com/6BmVwEfx

dmesg -> http://pastebin.com/MqAm1M4W

lspci -> http://pastebin.com/zN1drYfs

I've also installed a Gigabit PCI-e Realtek based NIC that also is not being detected by the boot loader.

I hope somebody could use these logs to build a loader with a few new drivers.

Really excited with this progress.

Thanks guys! :mrgreen: