XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

anyone got wake on lan working? I enabled it in the bios and in synology, but no success.

Should the original mac address work?

Yeah, works fine..

You need to use the original network card MAC addresses - not the ones in your grub.cfg.

I used my PCI-E add in card and made sure my BIOS settings were set as required. I had to tweak ASPM = 1 to get it to work, but work it does.. :smile:

edit.. I should say, that's with LACP configured with my two NICs as a 2GB link.. I needed to use the original network card MAC address; because, when shut down, that's all that can be seen on the network..

#H

Also tested on old Dell Optiplex 755 (8GB 1x 250GB hdd).

Works fine. Just needed the boot image from page 10. Enabled the serial port to save me another step.

Updated to 8451 and then update 2 perfectly fine.. :smile:

This is just for testing and fiddling about (ie, update to 8451-2 etc).

My other one is rock solid! :smile:

#H

The root login password seems to have changed after the migration. Logging in via ssh as root with my original pw from dsm 5.2.x no longer works. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

Also the "root/usr/syno/etc/rc.d" seems to have been removed in dsm 6.

WOL isn't working for me with the real or spoofed mac. I can't test the shutdown fix or edit the files to change the "console output" entries without root access.

Is there away of changing or viewing the root password without root access?

Not to be the party pooper here but I think that providing modified loaders from Jun's OP only serves to confuse people and also derails the efforts made so far. I know some are invested into helping others by adding additional drivers and compatibility options but I think it just makes this thread heavier and heavier to follow. I would recommend perhaps those who have the ability to compile code to do it in cooperation with Jun and then post as one. This would have the advantage of greatly improving readability and also making sure there is only one source of the loader. Maybe making a new thread with a proper loader name and versioning system would help. One person would be in charge of updating the OP when required. @jun @setsunakawa @quicknick @sweebee

Please consider this.

Working :smile:

- bios (change to UEFI)

- did use junuefibios.zip image from page 10 & have burned the loader's image on a USB key

- edit grub.cfg with Ubuntu live ( SataPortMap=6, vid=xxxxx, pid=xxxxxx, sn=xxxxxxxxxxxx, mac1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

- exchange ramdisk.lzma

- migrate to DSM 6.0.2-8451 & then updated to latest update 2

- bios (change to UEFI)

- did use junuefibios.zip image from page 10 & have burned the loader's image on a USB key

- edit grub.cfg with Ubuntu live ( SataPortMap=6, vid=xxxxx, pid=xxxxxx, sn=xxxxxxxxxxxx, mac1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

- exchange ramdisk.lzma

Please what means exchange ramdisk.izma?

Do you have choosen in the Bios uefi instead other OS ?

Could you pls send me your Grub config as a private message?

I have en Asus H87 S Plus with 6 sata ports and i have the error message as is mentioned in page 10 with sata 3+4 has errors and i have 4 Disk inside on Port 1+2 /5+6 .

thank you very much.

BR

Michael

The root login password seems to have changed after the migration. Logging in via ssh as root with my original pw from dsm 5.2.x no longer works. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

Also the "root/usr/syno/etc/rc.d" seems to have been removed in dsm 6.

WOL isn't working for me with the real or spoofed mac. I can't test the shutdown fix or edit the files to change the "console output" entries without root access.

Is there away of changing or viewing the root password without root access?

You should be able to connect to a ssh session with your personal account.

If you want to open a file r/w use sudo.

For examle "sudo vi /etc/crontab"

Please what means exchange ramdisk.izma?

Answer has been provided before.

2 - BIOS scenario: If you have a BIOS board then you need to use the hybrid loader that is provided on page 10 by setsunakawa. You then need to replace the ramdisk.lzma file with the one that is within the UEFI loader provided in the OP. The grub.cfg file also needs to be edited as mentioned above.

This is only needed if your mobo is BIOS only. If Your mobo is UEFI then no need to replace the ramdisk.izma file. Simply use the loader from the OP.

- bios (change to UEFI)

- exchange ramdisk.lzma

Can you explain how did you migrate your system? Now I am on DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 and I want to Migrate my System to DSM 6.0.2-8451. I have install test version on another Server with DSM 6.0.2-8451 but still I am afraid to lose files on my DSM :smile:

Regards

Igor

Not to be the party pooper here but I think that providing modified loaders from Jun's OP only serves to confuse people and also derails the efforts made so far. I know some are invested into helping others by adding additional drivers and compatibility options but I think it just makes this thread heavier and heavier to follow. I would recommend perhaps those who have the ability to compile code to do it in cooperation with Jun and then post as one. This would have the advantage of greatly improving readability and also making sure there is only one source of the loader. Maybe making a new thread with a proper loader name and versioning system would help. One person would be in charge of updating the OP when required. @jun @setsunakawa @quicknick @sweebee

Please consider this.

I'm with Polanskiman on this. I think what you guys are doing is fantastic but please, can we get this under control. I am sure that a small number of you are more than capable of building your own custom loader and getting it to work, but I worry that the vast majority of users have little idea of what is going on (many have just managed to stumble through the tutorials that used to live on fan sites) and it's all going to go horribly wrong for them.

Can we mark this thread as "Development Only" or something like that and ask one of you guys to start another thread as he suggests.

Please?

Edited by Guest

- bios (change to UEFI)

- exchange ramdisk.lzma

Can you explain how did you migrate your system? Now I am on DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 and I want to Migrate my System to DSM 6.0.2-8451. I have install test version on another Server with DSM 6.0.2-8451 but still I am afraid to lose files on my DSM :smile:

Regards

Igor

Please read the thread. It's all in here.

Realy i can not understand what this means:

edit grub.cfg with Ubuntu live ( SataPortMap=6, vid=xxxxx, pid=xxxxxx, sn=xxxxxxxxxxxx, mac1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

i have edit grub.cfg directly on the usb stick for what is ubuntu needed ??

or other question vid and pid etc how can i check which value i need ?

thank you

Michael

Please consider this.

I'm with Polanskiman on this. I think what you guys are doing is fantastic but please, can we get this under control. I am sure that a small number of you are more than capable of building your own custom loader and getting it to work, but I worry that the vast majority of users have little idea of what is going on (many have just managed to stumble through the tutorials that used to live on fan sites) and it's all going to go horribly wrong for them.

Can we mark this thread as "Development Only" or something like that and ask one of you guys to start another thread as he suggests.

Please?

Partially agree.. I think a happy medium needs struck - without stifling innovation (and getting stuff out there to you and I)! :smile:

At the very minimum, we need versioning numbers - and maybe some sort of package naming convention..

Other than that, I don't see too much of an issue. People should really read the whole thread. If people are asking how to perform basic linux commands then maybe they should pop onto Youtube and learn (like I did years ago), rather than expecting someone to step you through it here (it just dilutes the threads and information within).

Reading this whole glorious thread won't take too long - it will definitely be worth the 30 mins or so effort required. :grin:

#H

Realy i can not understand what this means:

edit grub.cfg with Ubuntu live ( SataPortMap=6, vid=xxxxx, pid=xxxxxx, sn=xxxxxxxxxxxx, mac1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

i have edit grub.cfg directly on the usb stick for what is ubuntu needed ??

or other question vid and pid etc how can i check which value i need ?

thank you

Michael

vid=Vendor ID

pid=Product ID

You need your USB's vid and pid so you can edit the grub.cfg file. I provided a link in the short tutorial I did earlier on how to obtain those.

A google search would have given you the answer much faster.

Hello,

i also decided to give it a test ride. I'm on bare metal (Asus Board/Celeron/Adaptec SAS Controller/Supermicro 16 bay SAS Rackmount Case, DSM5 running flawlessly). I created a boot image and edited grub.cfg with corresponding VID/PID/SN/MAC. I unhooed all productive Drives and the DSM5 Bootstick and started over with an empty drive and the new bootstick. I get to the Diskstations starting page via find.synology.com. When i click on install it says sth like "No Disk Found, try again". Trying Synology Assistant for manual install i get Error 38 witch basically means no disk present. Tried several disks in different Bays, no change.

Do i assume correctly, that my Adaptec HBA 1000-16i SAS Controller http://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/supp ... -1000-16i/ is not compatible/supported with/in the current image? If thats the case, would it be possible to inlude the driver?

Or is sth else going wrong?

Cheers and Thanks for every contribution to make DSM6 running on baremetal possible!!!

Hey guys,

maybe I'm simply too stupid, but I'm not able to get the vmware image working.. what am I doing wrong?

what I did:

1. Download & Install VMWare Player 12

2. Download jun's ESXi package

3. import .ovf file into VMWare Player (.vmdk is used as boot)

4. added two 8GB SATA Disks to that VM

5. start VM

=> "attempting to start up from: disk1: unsuccessful, disk2: unsuccessful, disk3: unsuccessfull" :???::?:

also tried the "normal" VM package with Virtualbox - same issue. :?:

thx4help

- BIOS: In BIOS, I did choose UEFI

- EDIT GRUB.CFG (with ubuntu live)

serial --port=0x3F8 --speed=115200
terminal_input serial console
terminal_output serial console
set default='0'
set timeout='2'
set fallback='0'

menuentry 'Synology DS3615xs' --class os {
  insmod   fat
  linux   /image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=1 HddHotplug=0 SataPortMap=6 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 vid=0x090C pid=0x1000 console=ttyS0,115200n8 sn=B2LWN06291 mac1=XXXXXXXXXXXX mac2=XXXXXXXXXXXX withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet
  initrd   /image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma
}

- MIGRATION (system detects older ver. & offers migration or new install, so I did choose migration)

- Exchange ramdisk.lzma ( when I did try to install latest pat version I did get some error, after replacing it - everything was fine )

Edited by Guest

Partially agree.. I think a happy medium needs struck - without stifling innovation (and getting stuff out there to you and I)! :smile:

At the very minimum, we need versioning numbers - and maybe some sort of package naming convention..

Other than that, I don't see too much of an issue. People should really read the whole thread. If people are asking how to perform basic linux commands then maybe they should pop onto Youtube and learn (like I did years ago), rather than expecting someone to step you through it here (it just dilutes the threads and information within).

Reading this whole glorious thread won't take too long - it will definitely be worth the 30 mins or so effort required. :grin:

#H

The issue is not about reading the whole thread or asking question about linux commands. That is a problem you will find in any forum. You will always have those who need to be spoon fed constantly.

The problem is that there has been several other loaders which have been posted by other members in the thread because Jun did not provided a BIOS compatible loader among other things. It's not a bad thing per say and he probably doesn't have much time as well but it does create confusion on what loader to use, trust etc.

Giving the loader a name and version would also make things easier to track.

Finally this forum is quite outdated and would need an overhaul but that is another issue.

#H

The issue is not about reading the whole thread or asking question about linux commands. That is a problem you will find in any forum. You will always have those who need to be spoon fed constantly.

The problem is that there has been several other loaders which have been posted by other members in the thread because Jun did not provided a BIOS compatible loader among other things. It's not a bad thing per say and he probably doesn't have much time as well but it does create confusion on what loader to use, trust etc.

Giving the loader a name and version would also make things easier to track.

Finally this forum is quite outdated and would need an overhaul but that is another issue.

I think we all know what the issues are - and we've both now suggested ways to improve them.. :smile:

The reading the whole thread point was a separate point. It still needed stating though as it would certainly help 'reduce' any confusion..

#H

Maybe @jun could update the startpost with the bios bootloader included (with latest changes). And some simple instructies per bootloader whats needed and some troubleshooting/known problems. That would make it easier for new users.

Also versioning with new drivers like bootloader_esxi_0.1, bootloader_uefi_0.1 bootloader_bios_0.1 etc. Just my 2c.