XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Yeah sorry, what I meant was that as we're now using a untouched synology kernel/PAT that means that we can't have it back unless the kernel is patched again which appears to be opposite to what this loader is trying to achieve. Moving model would allow us to have it back without needing to edit the bootloader. Happy if I'm wrong, as I use SHR as doing 12 bays using all 3tb drive is prohibitive and especially if trying to expand to more than that.

I just tried making a shr-1 volume in the xpenology 5.2, then swapped usb and put my 6.0 stick in. Had to reinstall to the box, but it worked! It kept my shr-1 volume and seems to be working. Right now I am testing expanding the volume by adding another drive (gonna take a while). Then I might try replacing a drive with a larger one to make sure that works. One note, this will only get you ext4. I may try and build a small btrfs volume using my 1513+ and try moving that over.

is there any guide how to properly migrate between major versions of DSM? I tried to restore v5 config in v6 VM and can't even login after that - it tells that my user have to rights (i suppose users and permissions restored with troubles)

Here is a link to a thread about downgrading from DSM6 to DSM5 ... http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13288

It may help you ...

is there any guide how to properly migrate between major versions of DSM? I tried to restore v5 config in v6 VM and can't even login after that - it tells that my user have to rights (i suppose users and permissions restored with troubles)

Here is a link to a thread about downgrading from DSM6 to DSM5 ... http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13288

It may help you ...

i dont need to downgrade, i need to migrate to 6 properly. I'm doing this on separate VM so my main dsm 5 won't be touched at all

Hey!first post, new to xpenology, and i just had setup dsm 6 with 6 by 4tb hard disks system with Jun's loader!

wow man! thank you and all the other guys who keep the project alive!

if i was able to setup the system with no experience just by reading the thread and correcting errors like the ramdisk change the shutdown alert and quickconnect...

seems stable, so i wonder when we will see a proper thread :smile:

great job JUN and guys! thanks once again

/wave

Yeah sorry, what I meant was that as we're now using a untouched synology kernel/PAT that means that we can't have it back unless the kernel is patched again which appears to be opposite to what this loader is trying to achieve. Moving model would allow us to have it back without needing to edit the bootloader. Happy if I'm wrong, as I use SHR as doing 12 bays using all 3tb drive is prohibitive and especially if trying to expand to more than that.

I just tried making a shr-1 volume in the xpenology 5.2, then swapped usb and put my 6.0 stick in. Had to reinstall to the box, but it worked! It kept my shr-1 volume and seems to be working. Right now I am testing expanding the volume by adding another drive (gonna take a while). Then I might try replacing a drive with a larger one to make sure that works. One note, this will only get you ext4. I may try and build a small btrfs volume using my 1513+ and try moving that over.

Interesting, at least it carries it over. I presume you still can't create a new one (if you have spare slots and two spare discs).

Hello everyone,

I have been waiting a long time for DSM6. I check from time to time on this forum to see if there is any progress. To my surprise I saw that there is a working version. I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is this a stable version to use on bare metal (running DSM 5.2 on a Asrock Q2900-itx)?

2. Is it possible to migrate from my current version 5.2-5644 Update 3?

3. Has somebody already made a complete tutorial (is not and the questions above are both yes then I wouldn’t mind to make one for everybody)?

Thank you in advance for the answers and keep up the good work.

Cheers

Burner1977

Another Gen8 running happily on DSM6 here. Thanks for making it happen. :smile:

Is there any likely hood that and adapted version of this method will be usable on a Gen7?

HI Have it working on a G7.

Did not update to update 2 though.

Did not do anything special other then using the bare metal mixed boot loader (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=90#p73344) and copy of the fixed ramdisk.

Will try the upgrade to update 2 shortly an report back

Ok, Just did the update to update 2, went fine, the only issue I have is the Server not shutting down properly and the error reporting it after the reboot.

Anyone found a fix for that yet?

Any chance that we will see a new OVF for DSM6 with LSI 9211 IT-mode for ESXi 6 soon? Quicknick? Sorry for asking again, but my Xpenology VM is already down for 10 days because I really would like to have DSM6 (with BTRFS support) for my new disk set.

If I can be of any help regarding testing or something, please let me know.

My kernel still has a few issues that I am working on so it's still not ready. I have patched the kernel so that the LSI 2008 based controllers and attached drives work. So I can assure you that drives will work. However, my time will be limited for the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

OK, thanks for the update. I hope you get those issues fixed soon. It's a tough life without having the video, music and software collection at my disposal :wink:

Has anyone been able to get LSI 2308 IT mode controller working in ESXI pass through mode? My disks are detected in xpenology but not the latest bootloader.

@ ferno

you can find it in the first post, but to make it simpler for you

you should edit following service configs manually, replace "console output" with "console none" after installation

ssh as root and edit those configs, did everything with putty as root and with VI edit the config files in usr/share/init

if you do "grep -r "^console output$" /usr/ 2> /dev/null"

you will find the files that try to console output to serial and generate the errors, you should find those :

/usr/share/init/syno_poweroff_task.conf

/usr/share/init/burnin_loader.conf

/usr/share/init/udevtrigger.conf

/usr/share/init/bs-poweroff.conf

/usr/share/init/udevd.conf

Edited by Guest

Another Gen8 running happily on DSM6 here. Thanks for making it happen. :smile:

Is there any likely hood that and adapted version of this method will be usable on a Gen7?

Did not do anything special other then using the bare metal mixed boot loader (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=90#p73344) and copy of the fixed ramdisk.

Thanks for that. I must have messed up when I tried updating mine. :oops: Will take another run at it now I know it should work. :smile:

Has anyone been able to get LSI 2308 IT mode controller working in ESXI pass through mode? My disks are detected in xpenology but not the latest bootloader.

I do not believe we have any IT mode support yet, I am waiting to test out Dell PERC H310 crossflashed to an LSI 9211 IT myself.

Do have sombody this working on a arock q1900?

I believe I have seen people with this system working, READ THE THREAD it's not that long...

Ok, Just did the update to update 2, went fine, the only issue I have is the Server not shutting down properly and the error reporting it after the reboot.

Anyone found a fix for that yet?

There is a fix for this a few pages back, READ THE THREAD!

Hello everyone,

I have been waiting a long time for DSM6. I check from time to time on this forum to see if there is any progress. To my surprise I saw that there is a working version. I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is this a stable version to use on bare metal (running DSM 5.2 on a Asrock Q2900-itx)?

2. Is it possible to migrate from my current version 5.2-5644 Update 3?

3. Has somebody already made a complete tutorial (is not and the questions above are both yes then I wouldn’t mind to make one for everybody)?

Thank you in advance for the answers and keep up the good work.

Cheers

Burner1977

Only time will tell if its stable, but so far reports are showing its working fantastic for people. All of your questions are answered in this thread, and as far as a tutorial, there is the first post and well the rest of the posts that have the answers to ALL of your questions.

Hey!first post, new to xpenology, and i just had setup dsm 6 with 6 by 4tb hard disks system with Jun's loader!

wow man! thank you and all the other guys who keep the project alive!

if i was able to setup the system with no experience just by reading the thread and correcting errors like the ramdisk change the shutdown alert and quickconnect...

seems stable, so i wonder when we will see a proper thread :smile:

great job JUN and guys! thanks once again

/wave

This work is phenomenal and I am greatful someone took the time to make it! A proper thread? I do not think it gets any more proper then this lol.

How about my question why I got 2 drives only please? Thanks.

Successfully installed on my bare metal ASRock QC5000-ITX/PH AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 (4 SATA ports) with the last update of DSM 6.0.2.

However, doesn't matter how hard I tried, DMS only recognizes 2 SATA ports (intstead of 4).

From the specs of mobo, it says:

2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 Quad-Core APU, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug

2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug.

What should I do in order to get all 4 SATA? I set SataPortMap=4 though. I don't mind testing anything if possible.

Once again, thank you those who have been working VERY hard to create DSM 6 new loader.

Do all 4 drives show up in the bios? What 2 drives are not shown in Storage Manager? Storage Manager will give you the serial numbers of the attached drives. Are the 2 missing drives connected to the ASMedia ASM1061 chipset?

Yes, all 4 drives showed up in BIOS when I checked.

Ports SATA3_A0 and SATA3_A1: none

Ports SATA3_1 and SATA3_2: showed up in Storage Manager with SNs of drives attached.

"Are the 2 missing drives connected to the ASMedia ASM1061 chipset?" - That's my question too. :sad:

Please help... :sad:

Thanks.

Hum, I can't get it installed on my N40L? :eek:

The loader gets to booting the kernel but the server doesn't show in Synology assistant and no IP address is being assigned by the router. It seems like the nic isn't supported or something?

I used the img linked on page 10 and the ramdisk file from page one EFI img (6688 KB), made the grub config changes but no joy.

Which model Gen7 did you get it running on?

How about my question why I got 2 drives only please? Thanks.

Successfully installed on my bare metal ASRock QC5000-ITX/PH AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 (4 SATA ports) with the last update of DSM 6.0.2.

However, doesn't matter how hard I tried, DMS only recognizes 2 SATA ports (intstead of 4).

From the specs of mobo, it says:

2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 Quad-Core APU, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug

2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug.

What should I do in order to get all 4 SATA? I set SataPortMap=4 though. I don't mind testing anything if possible.

Once again, thank you those who have been working VERY hard to create DSM 6 new loader.

Do all 4 drives show up in the bios? What 2 drives are not shown in Storage Manager? Storage Manager will give you the serial numbers of the attached drives. Are the 2 missing drives connected to the ASMedia ASM1061 chipset?

Yes, all 4 drives showed up in BIOS when I checked.

Ports SATA3_A0 and SATA3_A1: none

Ports SATA3_1 and SATA3_2: showed up in Storage Manager with SNs of drives attached.

"Are the 2 missing drives connected to the ASMedia ASM1061 chipset?" - That's my question too. :sad:

Please help... :sad:

Thanks.

Do you have already this running?

I want to upgrade but i have a asrock q1900 and this have also 2 drives connected to a asmedia chipset

Hum, I can't get it installed on my N40L? :eek:

The loader gets to booting the kernel but the server doesn't show in Synology assistant and no IP address is being assigned by the router. It seems like the nic isn't supported or something?

I used the img linked on page 10 and the ramdisk file from page one EFI img (6688 KB), made the grub config changes but no joy.

Which model Gen7 did you get it running on?

Hi, On the N40L with 8 GB ram. Running fine, even the upgrade to Update 2 worked. Only issue I have eis the shutdown that hangs sometimes and the improper shutdown error in the log.

Did you do the serial and id of the usb stick in the grub.cfg thing? That is important too.

Hey,

will it run on an hp microserver gen7 too? I have a n40l.

If yes, du I need the UEFI image oder legacy?

thanks

yes and yes. Don't forget the serial, Id and sata thing in the grub.cfg an the ramdisk copy.

Edited by Guest

Hi, On the N40L with 8 GB ram. Running fine, even the upgrade to Update 2 worked. Only issue I have eis the shutdown that hangs sometimes and the improper shutdown error in the log.

Did you do the serial and id of the usb stick in the grub.cfg thing? That is important too.

My N40L also has 8GB of Ram and yes I made all the required changes to the grub linux line. I also tried adding and subtracting some of the other grub options people have mentioned in this thread. I spent a couple of hours trying all kinds of combinations using the ramdisks from different img files. I reread the entire thread looking for anything I may have missed and I'm pretty sure I covered everything in my attempts. I can only get as far as the booting the kernel, after that the unit doesn't appear on the router or in Synology assistant. It seems like the nic isn't playing nice for some reason?

linux /image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=1 HddHotplug=0 SataPortMap=2  syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 vid=0xXXXX pid=0xXXXX console=ttyS0,115200n8 sn=?XXXX  mac1=?XXXX withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet

Using img from this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=90#p73344

And using the ramdisk from this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216#p72622 Baremetal in UEFI mode.

Not sure what else I can try at this point? It's very frustrating knowing it should work but wont! :???:

**/

Did you try changing the grub console fragment to this "console=ttyS0,115200n8" and the relevant conf files from "console output" to "console none" as mentioned in the op? That seems to have fixed the shutdown issue for most people.

Also see this post by Jun viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=160#p73683

I'm in the same boat as CtrlAltDel, i got a N36L gen7 and cannot pass booting kernel message, got dual intel nic card, and 8GB ram if anybody can upload his usb IMG somewhere, it will be really helpful, i have disabled my onboard nic and try different combo like CtrlAltDel without success. And one more thing if anyone can explain me how to get MAC and serial it would be very nice.

I'm in the same boat as CtrlAltDel, i got a N36L gen7 and cannot pass booting kernel message, got dual intel nic card, and 8GB ram if anybody can upload his usb IMG somewhere, it will be really helpful, i have disabled my onboard nic and try different combo like CtrlAltDel without success. And one more thing if anyone can explain me how to get MAC and serial it would be very nice.

Welcome to my world. :eek:

Here's something to help you kill a little time > viewtopic.php?t=5861#p35834 download the spreadsheet and generate a serial/mac pair.