XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Any chance that we will see a new OVF for DSM6 with LSI 9211 IT-mode for ESXi 6 soon? Quicknick? Sorry for asking again, but my Xpenology VM is already down for 10 days because I really would like to have DSM6 (with BTRFS support) for my new disk set.

If I can be of any help regarding testing or something, please let me know.

I've tried both UEFI and legacy UEFI/BIOS and both are working fine.

I have one problem tough... Every time I shutdown my machine, I got an "improper shutdown" notification on the next boot.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers

Me too

And me..

Not too worried about it though.. I would say this is a nice to have (unless there really is a problem that puts the data at risk)..

I have one problem tough... Every time I shutdown my machine, I got an "improper shutdown" notification on the next boot.

Cheers

Me too

And me..

Not too worried about it though.. I would say this is a nice to have (unless there really is a problem that puts the data at risk)..

Exactly, I don't mind it, but I don't know if it may or may not affect the disks... And that worries me! :roll:

Any chance that we will see a new OVF for DSM6 with LSI 9211 IT-mode for ESXi 6 soon? Quicknick? Sorry for asking again, but my Xpenology VM is already down for 10 days because I really would like to have DSM6 (with BTRFS support) for my new disk set.

My kernel still has a few issues that I am working on so it's still not ready. I have patched the kernel so that the LSI 2008 based controllers and attached drives work. So I can assure you that drives will work. However, my time will be limited for the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Cheers

Me too

And me..

Not too worried, maybe, but I presume an unclean shutdown will result in DSM starting a 'parity check' each time, which may take 2 days or so, putting a lot of extra stress on your array for the duration! (Even when it's just 'read', like maybe half the stress of a full rebuild?)

So, while I applaud the OP's brilliant (and most hopeful, so far) initiative, if at all possible, I'd like the 'unclean shutdown' thing resolved too, please.

My kernel still has a few issues that I am working on so it's still not ready. I have patched the kernel so that the LSI 2008 based controllers and attached drives work. So I can assure you that drives will work. However, my time will be limited for the next few weeks.

OK, thanks for the update. I hope you get those issues fixed soon. It's a tough life without having the video, music and software collection at my disposal :wink:

Jun,

I looked at the code changes from your second ramdisk against your first release and got to say good changes and I approve! Your code vs XPEnology's is much cleaner and less changes to Synologies chroot.

So far your module seems to be flawless for virtual guys. Here's what I've tested so far:

• Test basic VM deployments with OVF and install monitoring logs. (your changes fix some of the delay)
  • upgrade from 5.1-5055 to 5.2-5565 to 5.2.5644 to 5.2.5697 then to 6.0.2-8451
  • separate XPEnology running 5.2-5644.8 to 6.0.2-8451
  • ESXi RDM's work perfectly
  • ESXi PCI Passthrough LSI 9211-8i and LSI 9265

I plan to test from KVM as well. I will provide the mpt3sas for later LSI cards.

We still need to look at the non-virtualized hardware that people are having issues with. Don't have cycles at the moment to test this right now, but do have a spare SuperMicro Twin server that I may test for this.

One last thing, did you see my pm on this site or the pm on Tapatalk? Can you send me the source code for the module?

When you're passing through the 9265, what mode is it in? Does it have an IT like mode like a 9211?

Jun,

I looked at the code changes from your second ramdisk against your first release and got to say good changes and I approve! Your code vs XPEnology's is much cleaner and less changes to Synologies chroot.

So far your module seems to be flawless for virtual guys. Here's what I've tested so far:

• Test basic VM deployments with OVF and install monitoring logs. (your changes fix some of the delay)
  • upgrade from 5.1-5055 to 5.2-5565 to 5.2.5644 to 5.2.5697 then to 6.0.2-8451
  • separate XPEnology running 5.2-5644.8 to 6.0.2-8451
  • ESXi RDM's work perfectly
  • ESXi PCI Passthrough LSI 9211-8i and LSI 9265

I plan to test from KVM as well. I will provide the mpt3sas for later LSI cards.

We still need to look at the non-virtualized hardware that people are having issues with. Don't have cycles at the moment to test this right now, but do have a spare SuperMicro Twin server that I may test for this.

One last thing, did you see my pm on this site or the pm on Tapatalk? Can you send me the source code for the module?

When you're passing through the 9265, what mode is it in? Does it have an IT like mode like a 9211?

No unfortunately it does not have an IT mode. Only JBOD or do a RAID.

I have tested the synoboot.img on a Intel s1200btl Motherboard (Bare metal), and everything worked perfectly out of the box.

ISCSI working, Both FILE and Block level. (I could not get this to work on ESXI)

Jumbo Frames, also worked fine. (Also not working on ESXI)

So all in all a very good and stable experience.

But, the one thing I could not get to work is the LSI-9211 in IT mode, this would be great to have support for both in Bare Metal and VM's, I also see other asking for this :smile:

Thank you very much for this great build.

I'd like to give this a go on Lunanode, which provide KVM virtual machines. There is very little customisation that can be done to the VM however - uploading an ISO to boot from is fine, but i'm thinking it might be best to convert the .img file to .qcow2 and have the machine boot from this?

Has anyone else tried to get this running in KVM that can share their thoughts?

Not too worried, maybe, but I presume an unclean shutdown will result in DSM starting a 'parity check' each time, which may take 2 days or so, putting a lot of extra stress on your array for the duration! (Even when it's just 'read', like maybe half the stress of a full rebuild?)

So, while I applaud the OP's brilliant (and most hopeful, so far) initiative, if at all possible, I'd like the 'unclean shutdown' thing resolved too, please.

Not that I've seen..

Disks and CPU are zero % after booting up - every time - after seeing this message about the improper shutdown. I don't think it's doing a parity check - or anything, really.

My box was powered down using either the power option on the console, the shutdown or poweroff commands (at a SSH terminal), so it was 'going down properly'.. It didn't suddenly switch itself off and reboot..

Personally, I think it's a bug (and there have been previous notifications on 'actual' synology devices about this bug) but it would be nice to resolve it..

#H

Ok, i try this with an bare metal HP N54L but i can't boot...

just stay on screen : Booting the kernel and nothing in Synology assistant

i try some modif

I don't use Synology assistant as I didn't want to install anything and I didn't want to accidentally select my 'real' Synology device.

I use a little program called NetScan.exe (from softperfect). It's free and will scan your network to find the synology box's IP given to it by DHCP (take a note of your MAC address). It also doesn't require installation (and is a lot more useful). Been using it well over 5 years..

I used the EFI/Legacy boot image from Setsunakawa on p10 (thanks man) - https://mega.nz/#!88dhAYCL!V_RviNsst7qi%20...%20GOz6P8GnZ0

I then got the boot image from Jun on page 1. (https://mega.nz/#!Z4UzWZxZ!hu9SZXpzJBTakHk7lO8pJfyHYb-YgGatI-Em9E3JXWI)

I used the first image and burned it to a USB drive using USB Image Tool.exe. Then I needed to edit the grub.cfg file on it to reflect the USB drive's VID,PID. You need to set the desired SN and MAC addresses and add the SataPortMap=? if required.

I replaced the ramdisk.lzma file on the USB drive with the one in Jun's image (second link above) at \image\DS3615xs

The grub.cfg file is pretty much the same sort of file as your previous Isolinux.cfg file (which isn't there anymore).. No, you can't skip that step! :smile:

My grub.cfg is... (Obviously, you NEED TO REPLACE the ???????'s with your own values.)

set default='0'
set timeout='2'
set fallback='0'

menuentry 'Synology DS3615xs' --class os {
insmod	fat
linux	/image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=4 HddHotplug=1 SataPortMap=3 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vid=0x???? pid=0x???? console=uart,io,0x3f8,115200n8 sn=?????????? mac1=?????????? mac2=?????????? mac3=?????????? mac4=?????????? withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet
initrd	/image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma
}

Good luck,

#H

News of the day.

I have read all post and make a lot of modification, ths processus stop at 56% instalation, files corrupted (error 13)

it's impossible to passed the installation of DSM 6, 2 pc for test.

and on HP N54L, the ethernet card are not included in the kernel, because i d'ont watch the ip on intranet

I have tested the synoboot.img on a Intel s1200btl Motherboard (Bare metal), and everything worked perfectly out of the box.

ISCSI working, Both FILE and Block level. (I could not get this to work on ESXI)

Jumbo Frames, also worked fine. (Also not working on ESXI)

So all in all a very good and stable experience.

But, the one thing I could not get to work is the LSI-9211 in IT mode, this would be great to have support for both in Bare Metal and VM's, I also see other asking for this :smile:

Thank you very much for this great build.

I'm on the same boat with another vote. That would be great if it works on LSI-9211 in IT mode. :grin:

Hi Jun.

Would it be possible to make a RS18016xs+ Version? This one have SAS Support, and should support the LSI-9211 card.

Is it easy to change this my self?

I tried changing DS3615xs to RS18016xs+ in the grub.cfg file, but no luck.

Thank you very much for this great boot image.

Not that I've seen..

Disks and CPU are zero % after booting up - every time - after seeing this message about the improper shutdown. I don't think it's doing a parity check - or anything, really.

My box was powered down using either the power option on the console, the shutdown or poweroff commands (at a SSH terminal), so it was 'going down properly'.. It didn't suddenly switch itself off and reboot..

Personally, I think it's a bug (and there have been previous notifications on 'actual' synology devices about this bug) but it would be nice to resolve it..

#H

Thanks for the feedback. Normally your Storage docklet will say something like 'Volume 1 (normal)'. Or, in this case, 'Volume 1 (parity check)' on an unclean shutdown. If it ain't saying the latter, then I guess it's all good. :smile:

Not that I've seen..

#H

After testing the dual UEFI/Legacy build (bare metal) on motherboards with/without a physical serial port, I don't see the errors with motherboards that have a physical serial port. No errors are displayed or logged after a reboot or a shutdown/restart. I do see the errors with motherboards that don't have a physical serial port.

After doing some research on some of the Synology NAS models, it appears some models do have a physical serial port. This is not exposed to the user. I have read articles where some owners have opened their Synology NAS's to physically connect up the serial comm port. The main reason for doing this was to recover from a "Bricked Unit". On reboot or shutdown/restart the following is logged in the "messages" logs for motherboards without a physical serial port.

2016-10-02T19:34:23-04:00 Test-NAS60 synoscgi_SYNO.Core.System_1_shutdown[12971]: system_sys_init.c:90 synopoweroff: System is going to poweroff
2016-10-02T19:34:23-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  320.740657] init: synonetd main process (4969) killed by TERM signal
2016-10-02T19:34:23-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  320.741148] init: synostoraged main process (9548) terminated with status 15
2016-10-02T19:34:23-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  320.742680] init: hotplugd main process (11016) killed by TERM signal
2016-10-02T19:34:23-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  320.743111] init: smbd main process (11382) killed by TERM signal
2016-10-02T19:34:23-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  320.835177] init: syno_poweroff_task main process (13011) terminated with status 1

Logs from motherboard with physical serial port

2016-09-27T20:18:29-05:00 Test-NAS48 [ 1373.178048] init: synonetd main process (5536) killed by TERM signal
2016-09-27T20:18:29-05:00 Test-NAS48 [ 1373.178468] init: synostoraged main process (10964) terminated with status 15
2016-09-27T20:18:29-05:00 Test-NAS48 [ 1373.179553] init: hotplugd main process (12425) killed by TERM signal
2016-09-27T20:18:29-05:00 Test-NAS48 [ 1373.184887] init: smbd main process (12631) killed by TERM signal
2016-09-27T20:18:29-05:00 Test-NAS48 syno_poweroff_task: System is acting poweroff.

Also, as stated in the post from jun on Page 1, if your motherboard does not have a physical serial port the logs will fill up with the following, if you don't stop/disable the tty service:

2016-10-02T19:33:46-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  283.376096] init: tty main process ended, respawning
2016-10-02T19:33:56-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  293.377424] init: tty main process (12828) terminated with status 1
2016-10-02T19:33:56-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  293.377449] init: tty main process ended, respawning
2016-10-02T19:34:06-04:00 Test-NAS60 [  303.378699] init: tty main process (12846) terminated with status 1

To see if you are getting the tty errors, you can check your logs. SSH in, use the following command "dmesg | grep tty"

Hope this information is helpful.