XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Ok.. I've been tinkering around a bit and noticed that the drives with errors on them are the ones that didn't have anything plugged into them.. Odd.

I removed a drive, then got error (1,2,5,6)

If I move my 2x 3TB disks to ports 1 and 2, the error was (3,4,5,6).

I tried changing various BIOS settings - but couldn't find a way to disable them individually.

So.. I filled ALL my SATA ports with spare disks - and SUCCESS!!

I was able to get an install prompt at the NAS URL! :grin:

I still got errors when installing the PAT (6.0.2 v8451) though - "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted"

So.. I plugged my USB stick into a Windows machine to get the PID and VID (have a look in device manager), edited the Grub.cfg file (changing the PID and VID values) and..............

I was able to move forward.

Unfortunately, after what looked like a successful install of 6.0.2 v8451 as 'Migrate' install. It did not work after a reboot (disks moved from previous system).

A clean install does not seem to work either, after it reboots. It says disks were moved from previous system.

A step forward though! :smile:

Is there any way we can get it to discount certain SATA ports - or do we simply need to ensure all ports are filled?

#H

As per Jun's initial post, did you setup at least 2 partitions on the usb stick:

"and to make installer happy, usb drive seem should have at least 2 partitions, one for boot, and one for recovery I guess."

I havent done that part myself. I use Win32 Disk Imager and I dont think it can write to individual partition?

To get past the drive errors using the EFI/Legacy image posted a few pages back when using a motherboard with a Legacy BIOS ... I added SataPortMap= the number of drives in my system to the correction grub.cfg not isolinux.cfg file as I first wrote. I have 4 drives installed so the line I added to APPEND was SataPortMap=4. When booting using a Legacy BIOS, it recognizes my 4 drives without any errors. Hope this helps. Also, after recognizing my 4 drives and trying to install DSM 6, I was in a continual install loop. To correct this, I replaced the image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma in the boot partiton as show in Post 1 by jun. Hope this info helps. DSM6 working on a Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 motherboard, RAID 5 (with data protection) ext4.

Edited by Guest

@substorm The image i've posted (for UEFI/BIOS) already have 2 partitions (on an official synoboot, the first partition contain recovery kernel/rd and the second the running kernel/rd from last update). You can use W32DiskImager, it will create both partitions :smile:

I followed the string "We've detected errors on the hard drives ({0}), and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down your {1} to replace or remove the hard drives and try again." and the error is triggered from /usr/syno/bin/synodiskport -portthawlist

Someone with serial and sata error can you put the output of this command ? If sata works for you, it would be fine to put the output too :smile:.

Nice, finally got it working now in portable VirtualBox!

1. Converted the last bootimage with:

VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI "junuefibios.img" "junuefibios.vdi"

2. Imported the last ovf and modified it like this:

Type: Linux

Version: Ubuntu (64bit)

Mem: 2048

Chipset: PIIX3

IO-APIC activated

EFI: activated

CPU: 2

PAE/NX: activated

Paravirt: legacy

VT-x: activated

Nested paging: activated

GPU mem: 9MB

Storage-Controllers

IDE --> CD-Drive

SATA --> 4 x 8 GB Disks

SCSI --> nothing (came with the ovf import I thtink)

USB (!) --> mount here the converted boot image: junuefibios.vdi

Network

Mode: NAT (currently)

Adapter type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)

MAC: 0011322CA785

Portforwardings:

Host-Port: 5000 --> Guest-Port 5000

Host-Port: 5022 --> Guest-Port 22

Serial

Port1: activated

Portnumber: COM1

Portmode: File

Path: c:\...\serialtext.txt

Modify Boot-Image Grub-Config (vid+pid)

Important to get the installation working is to edit the grub-config and modify the USB vid + pid to hide it from Synology because it would try to use it and fail with the disk errors.

To get and set the right values for vid+pid I simply boot Ubuntu in CD:

mount Ubuntu 14.10 ISO in CD-ROM

boot and select Ubuntu no install mode (live)

start a "terminal"

run "lsusb"

this will show the vid:pid of the "VirtualBox"-device (80ee:0030).

Open the filemanager or use commandline to edit the grub.conf on the bootimage that should be mounted automatically and change vid+pid (vid=0x80ee pid=0x0030).

Shutdown Ubuntu and remove the iso from cd drive.

Installation

Booted now from the modified bootimage, see on the screen "no suitable video mode found, booting in blind mode"

Open the textfile that contains the serial output (c:\...\serialtext.txt) and reloadfrom time to time to see the console output.

After some time when in textfile is shown "DiskStation login:" (it may still need some time after that to start everything)

I used the webbrowser and conected to my forwarded port: http://127.0.0.1:5000

I followed the setup procedure and used the "DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat" file.

After all was installed it took a bit longer than the 10 minutes it waits but it was sucessful.

Final Setup

Created a RAID6 with the 4 drives and then a BTRFS volume on it and rebooted after that.

Then installed Update 1 and some programs.

Edited by Guest

@FiberInternetUser: Very good tips. Thanks! Have you also tried BRTFS? Are all standard packages working and after restarting the drives don't unmount? Did you also change VID, PID, serial #, and MAC address?

@Setsunakawa: Can I get this output for you without having the DSM installed yet? My box has serial.

I was in a continual install loop. To correct this, I replaced the image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma in the boot partiton as show in Post 1 by jun. Hope this info helps. .

Sorry, I can't see a link to an image under the EditEdit post on page one.. Which ramdisk.lzma should I use?

Edit.. Version numbers are your friend!!! :smile:

Just noticed that there was a new version of the image, rather than just the Ramdisk.. Testing now.

EditEdit..

Looking SUPERB.. :eek::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

BTRFS and SSD Cache all working well on 8451-1. I was even able to set up a network team (LACP) - just need to move it upstairs to its new home.

Looks like you've cracked it! Well bloody done! :grin:

00002-%202016-09-30%2021.17_zpsf6x4bpja.jpg~original

00003-%202016-09-30%2021.22_zpsztndvvqw.jpg~original

00004-%202016-09-30%2021.24_zpsqzcmpghm.jpg~original

It actually has 4 cores.. Just displays it incorrectly!

Cheers,

#H

@FiberInternetUser: Very good tips. Thanks! Have you also tried BRTFS? Are all standard packages working and after restarting the drives don't unmount? Did you also change VID, PID, serial #, and MAC address?

Yes, I changed the VID, PID, Serial #, and Mac Address. In testing, I did setup one drive as BRFTS and later when I did a reboot the volume did not unmount. I installed Video Station and Photo Station. There were no errors when installing and after a reboot. Quick Connect does pop up the dialog box to let you login. I don't have an account so I didn't try to login. More testing to do. So far, so good. Also, I installed -8451 update 1 without errors.

Thanks to setsunakawa for the Legacy Boot Loader.

Yes, I changed the VID, PID, Serial #, and Mac Address. In testing, I did setup one drive as BRFTS and later when I did a reboot the volume did not unmount. I installed Video Station and Photo Station. There were no errors when installing and after a reboot. Quick Connect does pop up the dialog box to let you login. I don't have an account so I didn't try to login. More testing to do. So far, so good. Also, I installed -8451 update 1 without errors.

Thanks to setsunakawa for the Legacy Boot Loader.

This is looking very promising. Keeping my fingers crossed. I will be trying this shortly. How about adding rmmod=ata_piix command?

Also, if I use correctly matching MAC and serial, the MAC doesn't have to match to my actual NIC's mac?

@Setsunakawa: so once I boot from usb and see "Welcome to GRUB", I should ssh to it to run the command? As you see I am pretty new to this field :-|

This is looking very promising. Keeping my fingers crossed. I will be trying this shortly. How about adding rmmod=ata_piix command?

Also, if I use correctly matching MAC and serial, the MAC doesn't have to match to my actual NIC's mac?

I made a couple bootable thumb drives and on one of them I do believe I did add the rmmod=ata_piix command.

The generated MAC does not need to match the actual MAC address. Once you get your XPEnology Box running, using a separate Windows Machine, go to a command prompt and enter the following.

arp -a and hit return .. this command will show you the MAC address you setup in the grub.cfg file.

Good Luck

To get past the drive errors using the EFI/Legacy image posted a few pages back when using a motherboard with a Legacy BIOS ... I added SataPortMap= the number of drives in my system to the isolinux.cfg file. I have 4 drives installed so the line I added to APPEND was SataPortMap=4. When booting using a Legacy BIOS, it recognizes my 4 drives without any errors. Hope this helps. Also, after recognizing my 4 drives and trying to install DSM 6, I was in a continual install loop. To correct this, I replaced the image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma in the boot partiton as show in Post 1 by jun. Hope this info helps. DSM6 working on a Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 motherboard, RAID 5 (with data protection) ext4.

where is the isolinux.cfg file located? i don't see it anywhere in the legacy boot image..

where is the isolinux.cfg file located? i don't see it anywhere in the legacy boot image..

Sorry about that, working with too many images .. it should be grub.cfg in the grub directory .. on the dual boot image (EFI/Legacy) by setsunakawa. I am working on a Legacy image too and that one has the isolinux.cfg file. Thanks for catching my error, I went back and corrected my post.

Sorry about that, working with too many images .. it should be grub.cfg in the grub directory .. on the dual boot image (EFI/Legacy) by setsunakawa. I am working on a Legacy image too and that one has the isolinux.cfg file. Thanks for catching my error, I went back and corrected my post.

Thanks for sharing! I'm now running -8451 update 1 with no issues so far

I can't believe it, finally got it installed! I was even able to update to the latest version and setup QuickConnect. :lol:

I didn't have to add SataPortMap= but only changed pid, vid, mac, and serial and also included rmmod=ata_piix in grub.cfg

In the BIOS I left serial port enabled and sata set to AHCI.

The only problem now is that I can't setup volumes yet since I need to free up 2 drives from an old DSM 5.2 box which was off for a while but it tells me the admin account is disabled. Sorry for being off topic (just created another thread about this) but does anyone have any tricks to enable admin account or could I just move those two disks to this new DSM 6 box without losing data?

Ok, i try this with an bare metal HP N54L but i can't boot...

just stay on screen : Booting the kernel and nothing in Synology assistant

i try some modif

I don't use Synology assistant as I didn't want to install anything and I didn't want to accidentally select my 'real' Synology device.

I use a little program called NetScan.exe (from softperfect). It's free and will scan your network to find the synology box's IP given to it by DHCP (take a note of your MAC address). It also doesn't require installation (and is a lot more useful). Been using it well over 5 years..

I used the EFI/Legacy boot image from Setsunakawa on p10 (thanks man) - https://mega.nz/#!88dhAYCL!V_RviNsst7qi%20...%20GOz6P8GnZ0

I then got the boot image from Jun on page 1. (https://mega.nz/#!Z4UzWZxZ!hu9SZXpzJBTakHk7lO8pJfyHYb-YgGatI-Em9E3JXWI)

I used the first image and burned it to a USB drive using USB Image Tool.exe. Then I needed to edit the grub.cfg file on it to reflect the USB drive's VID,PID. You need to set the desired SN and MAC addresses and add the SataPortMap=? if required.

I replaced the ramdisk.lzma file on the USB drive with the one in Jun's image (second link above) at \image\DS3615xs

The grub.cfg file is pretty much the same sort of file as your previous Isolinux.cfg file (which isn't there anymore).. No, you can't skip that step! :smile:

My grub.cfg is... (Obviously, you NEED TO REPLACE the ???????'s with your own values.)

set default='0'
set timeout='2'
set fallback='0'

menuentry 'Synology DS3615xs' --class os {
insmod	fat
linux	/image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=4 HddHotplug=1 SataPortMap=3 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vid=0x???? pid=0x???? console=uart,io,0x3f8,115200n8 sn=?????????? mac1=?????????? mac2=?????????? mac3=?????????? mac4=?????????? withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet
initrd	/image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma
}

Good luck,

#H

Hi all,

today i tryied to import VM into ESXi 5.1 - no luck, because it does not support HW ver 11 so i need to upgrade to ESXi 6...

Next i tryied to import into QNAP Virtualization Station, import OK, but it does not boot up, tested IDE mode, SCSI, SATA, no luck, still only booting from hard disk at console. It is based on QEMU i think...

Vitek

Ok, i try this with an bare metal HP N54L but i can't boot...

just stay on screen : Booting the kernel and nothing in Synology assistant

i try some modif

I used the EFI/Legacy boot image from Setsunakawa on p10 (thanks man) - https://mega.nz/#!88dhAYCL!V_RviNsst7qi%20...%20GOz6P8GnZ0

I then got the boot image from Jun on page 1. (https://mega.nz/#!Z4UzWZxZ!hu9SZXpzJBTakHk7lO8pJfyHYb-YgGatI-Em9E3JXWI)

I used the first image and burned it to a USB drive using USB Image Tool.exe. Then I needed to edit the grub.cfg file on it to reflect the USB drive's VID,PID. You need to set the desired SN and MAC addresses and add the SataPortMap=? if required.

I replaced the ramdisk.lzma file on the USB drive with the one in Jun's image (second link above) at \image\DS3615xs

The grub.cfg file is pretty much the same sort of file as your previous Isolinux.cfg file (which isn't there anymore).. No, you can't skip that step! :smile:

Good luck,

#H

Thank you for your tuto. Unfortunately, even following your sequence step by step, my N54L remain stuck to "Booting the kernel". My config is not identical: 1 HDD and 1 network card (1MAC address). I have modified grub.cfg according that:

set default='0'

set timeout='2'

set fallback='0'

menuentry 'Synology DS3615xs' --class os {

insmod fat

linux /image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=1 HddHotplug=1 SataPortMap=1 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vid=0x090C pid=0x1100 console=uart,io,0x3f8,115200n8 sn=?????????? mac1=xxxxxxxxxxxx withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet

initrd /image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma

}

Do you have some advices ? Can N54L owners share their setup ?

regards,

Rikk

I've made an Hybrid UEFI/BIOS baremetal image :

https://mega.nz/#!88dhAYCL!V_RviNsst7qi ... GOz6P8GnZ0

Just to let you know this image has worked for me with no issue so far. No error messages.

Asrock N3150B-ITX board. T boar has 2 SATA ports in a 2-Bay case. Only one of t bays were used. The board in the back of the other bay is still connected to the MB, but the bay is empty.

Thank you for th good job!

I have no serial.