XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

@Jun : I've tried bare metal using https://mega.nz/#!Z4UzWZxZ!hu9SZXpzJBTa ... -Em9E3JXWI from a USB boot stick and it just sits at "Welcome to GRUB"

Synology Assistant is not seeing it as well. Any ideas?

there is nothing more to see - just wait a minute or two and if your network driver is present

you will see it through find.synology or in your routing table.

this line confused me too until i saw the nic was reseted after a few seconds

@Jun : I've tried bare metal using https://mega.nz/#!Z4UzWZxZ!hu9SZXpzJBTa ... -Em9E3JXWI from a USB boot stick and it just sits at "Welcome to GRUB"

Synology Assistant is not seeing it as well. Any ideas?

there is nothing more to see - just wait a minute or two and if your network driver is present

you will see it through find.synology or in your routing table.

this line confused me too until i saw the nic was reseted after a few seconds

find.synology.com is detecting the device but now giving me the following error:

We've detected errors on the hard drives (3, 4, 5, 6), and the SATA ports have also been disabled.

Please shut down your DS3615xs to replace or remove the hard drives and try again.

Quick nick,

I'm trying to build an ISO image for nonEFI bare metal users (like me) I get to the point that it has boot but when I upload the install pat image I get an error that claims the image is corrupted although I used the same one to install successfully on a VM. I guess I'm missing some parameters in the append entry in isolinux. Could you please pass some info about the append commands with a PM ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the following error as well, with my Asus J1900I-C mobo as a bare metal system,

We've detected errors on the hard drives (2), and the SATA ports have also been disabled.

Please shut down your DS3615xs to replace or remove the hard drives and try again.

Then I use Synology Assistant to install DSM directly, I got the error as the attached picture.

DSM6.jpg

Edited by Guest

Quick nick,

I'm trying to build an ISO image for nonEFI bare metal users (like me) I get to the point that it has boot but when I upload the install pat image I get an error that claims the image is corrupted although I used the same one to install successfully on a VM. I guess I'm missing some parameters in the append entry in isolinux. Could you please pass some info about the append commands with a PM ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to change VID and PID in grub config file to match your USB stick.

Hello,

I read all the posts, but i can't figure if anyone was able to install dsm6 insto a bare metal.

I have a gen8 and can try, but i can't figure out where the boot is and if is even possible... some posts talk about esxi other bare metal... can you please clarify?

Thanks

Yes you can try, just write the USB image to a USB key and boot it. Wait a few minutes and start the assistant. You'll be able then to install.

Hello,

I read all the posts, but i can't figure if anyone was able to install dsm6 insto a bare metal.

I have a gen8 and can try, but i can't figure out where the boot is and if is even possible... some posts talk about esxi other bare metal... can you please clarify?

Thanks

Hey codedmind,

If you have a Gen8 Microserver then you'll need to wait until a Legacy/BIOS boot image is created.

The barebones image is only for UEFI and the Gen8 Microserver doesn't support UEFI.

Hello,

Thanks

Hey codedmind,

If you have a Gen8 Microserver then you'll need to wait until a Legacy/BIOS boot image is created.

The barebones image is only for UEFI and the Gen8 Microserver doesn't support UEFI.

Hi, gen8 supports UEFI. Its gen7 that does not ..

Hello,

Thanks

Yes you can try, just write the USB image to a USB key and boot it. Wait a few minutes and start the assistant. You'll be able then to install.

I can't get my Gen8 to boot using the .img file. The usb doesn't seem to be seen as a boot device and then it just gets into a network bootloop.

kuma16830 said:
I got the following error as well, with my Asus J1900I-C mobo.
We've detected errors on the hard drives (2), and the SATA ports have also been disabled.

Then I use Synology Assistant to install DSM directly, I got the error as the attached picture.

DSM6.jpg

Hmm, Synology Assistant won't even find mine. After switching from AHCI to IDE in the BIOS, find.synology.com tells me that there are no hard drives installed at all. For AHCI, do we need hardware specific drivers in the boot image?

Edit: now Synology Assistant is picking up the device but when I attempt to install the pat file I get the same error as pictured above. This is with AHCI.

When I switch to IDE, I get the following error:

2016-09-29_23h15_11.png

Below are my main specs:

Chipset: Intel Q77 Express (Ivy Bridge)

IDE Controller: Standard SATA AHCI Controller

Network Adapter: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Hello,

Thanks

I can't get my Gen8 to boot using the .img file. The usb doesn't seem to be seen as a boot device and then it just gets into a network bootloop.

Please bear in mind that you will need to change the boot mode to UEFI and not legacy in order to boot this image :wink:

Please bear in mind that you will need to change the boot mode to UEFI and not legacy in order to boot this image :wink:

That would be cool if the Gen 8 bios had options for UEFI support, unfortunately there is no UEFI so no such option exists. Hence my total failure installing DSM 6 using the current .img which requires UEFI.

I will continue being patient and keep an eye on this thread in the hope that one of the geniuses here figures out a solution. :smile: It's way beyond my limited skill set. :oops:

Big thanks to all the devs and smart forum folk for plugging away on the DSM 6 issue.

Hello,

Thanks

Hey codedmind,

I can vouch for that. :???:

Thanks for the new image but I get the same error as before (on bare-metal)..

When accessing the synology NAS URL I get....

"We've detected errors on your hard drives (2,5,6) and the SATA ports have also been disabled."

It then tells me to remove or reinstall them..

I've edited the grub.cfg to change my SN, MAC and PID but no joy..

#H

Ok.. I've been tinkering around a bit and noticed that the drives with errors on them are the ones that didn't have anything plugged into them.. Odd.

I removed a drive, then got error (1,2,5,6)

If I move my 2x 3TB disks to ports 1 and 2, the error was (3,4,5,6).

I tried changing various BIOS settings - but couldn't find a way to disable them individually.

So.. I filled ALL my SATA ports with spare disks - and SUCCESS!!

I was able to get an install prompt at the NAS URL! :grin:

I still got errors when installing the PAT (6.0.2 v8451) though - "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted"

So.. I plugged my USB stick into a Windows machine to get the PID and VID (have a look in device manager), edited the Grub.cfg file (changing the PID and VID values) and..............

I was able to move forward.

Unfortunately, after what looked like a successful install of 6.0.2 v8451 as 'Migrate' install. It did not work after a reboot (disks moved from previous system).

A clean install does not seem to work either, after it reboots. It says disks were moved from previous system.

A step forward though! :smile:

Is there any way we can get it to discount certain SATA ports - or do we simply need to ensure all ports are filled?

#H

Edited by Guest