XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Jun,

I looked at the code changes from your second ramdisk against your first release and got to say good changes and I approve! Your code vs XPEnology's is much cleaner and less changes to Synologies chroot.

So far your module seems to be flawless for virtual guys. Here's what I've tested so far:

• Test basic VM deployments with OVF and install monitoring logs. (your changes fix some of the delay)
  • upgrade from 5.1-5055 to 5.2-5565 to 5.2.5644 to 5.2.5697 then to 6.0.2-8451
  • separate XPEnology running 5.2-5644.8 to 6.0.2-8451
  • ESXi RDM's work perfectly
  • ESXi PCI Passthrough LSI 9211-8i and LSI 9265

I plan to test from KVM as well. I will provide the mpt3sas for later LSI cards.

We still need to look at the non-virtualized hardware that people are having issues with. Don't have cycles at the moment to test this right now, but do have a spare SuperMicro Twin server that I may test for this.

One last thing, did you see my pm on this site or the pm on Tapatalk? Can you send me the source code for the module?

I just downloaded a fresh copy from OP and still cannot get my LSI 9211-8i (IT-p19) detected. Did you compile your own drivers or is the driver now included? Do I need to use a specific pat file or is auto install ok?

After adding the Passthrough, it still states no disk in initial setup. After adding a VMDK, i can install and run DSM, but does not show my disks from the passthrough.

If you can help me get this working, I can toss you some beer money in bitcoin :smile:

Many people reported that DSM ask you to reinstall forever.

It turn out that lack of a serial port caused the failure. That is really a surprise :eek: .

Anyway, I upload a new ramdisk to workaround the issue.

[spoiler=]You should replace the image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma in the boot partiton with this new one.

The esxi and bare metal image are updated, so manually replace the ramdisk is not required.

Alternatively, VM users may add a serial port as a workaround.

Bare metal users can enable the serial port in bios if your board has one.

remaining problem:

Login to your DSM via ssh/telnet, your will see these messages in kernel log,

this is another consequence of lack of a serial console.

[ 1360.575754] init: tty main process (13856) terminated with status 1
[ 1360.575823] init: tty main process ended, respawning
[ 1370.591635] init: tty main process (13881) terminated with status 1
[ 1370.591755] init: tty main process ended, respawning

To stop it from spam your log, you can stop/disable the tty serivce.

Jun,

I looked at the code changes from your second ramdisk against your first release and got to say good changes and I approve! Your code vs XPEnology's is much cleaner and less changes to Synologies chroot.

So far your module seems to be flawless for virtual guys. Here's what I've tested so far:

• Test basic VM deployments with OVF and install monitoring logs. (your changes fix some of the delay)
  • upgrade from 5.1-5055 to 5.2-5565 to 5.2.5644 to 5.2.5697 then to 6.0.2-8451
  • separate XPEnology running 5.2-5644.8 to 6.0.2-8451
  • ESXi RDM's work perfectly
  • ESXi PCI Passthrough LSI 9211-8i and LSI 9265

I plan to test from KVM as well. I will provide the mpt3sas for later LSI cards.

We still need to look at the non-virtualized hardware that people are having issues with. Don't have cycles at the moment to test this right now, but do have a spare SuperMicro Twin server that I may test for this.

One last thing, did you see my pm on this site or the pm on Tapatalk? Can you send me the source code for the module?

quicknick, are you saying in that you were able to get it working in ESXi with a LSI 9211-8i card, or that a driver needs to be added?

I did just download the ESXi file from post #1, and rebuilt the VM in my environment- still cannot get the LSI card to be picked up by the VM in pass-through mode. Any thoughts on this? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you

Carlchan, I would advice you an Ubuntu Desktop live cd. Mount the EFI partition with the disk manager and simply edit the GRUb configuration file.

Don't forget to put the disk as persistent before doing that, else the modifications will be lost (I put it as non persistent in the template).

Thanks! Let me try...

Maybe its a stupid question but how can i change the mac sn and vid/pid on the usb img

*edit*

Got it

Dear ...

I booted up , but how can i do it? Mount which one and/or edit ?

Where did I find the files to edit ...

Thank!

p.s. I only could see a 20M volume, with zImage, rd.gz , ... etc

Fixed by mount the zImage and edit the config.

Thanks for all

Edited by Guest

Hi Koalala,

Thanks for your hard work.

I deployed the OVF you uploaded in esxi 6 u2, but I see nothing on the console.

is this normal?

How do I change the mac addresses and the serial numbers with the OVF?

thanks

You have to use serial to see console because this is Synology's unmodified kernel. In ESXi add serial named pipe. Set as server near side and vm far side. Setup another vm. Windows or Linux and add serial near side client, far side vm. Use putty, minicom, hyperterminal and you will have profit. Both vm's must exist on same host.

To edit boot. Use Ubuntu live CD or equivilant Linux boot CD to modify.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply. Pardon my newbieness, but "use putty, minicom, hyperterminal" on which VM to assess DSM? Can you explain it a little more?

Good evening, I have to be no, but I do not know how to use your files for installation on USB key.

Can you tell me how to prepare and use the key for DSM6 on an HP N54L.

thank you

Dear All,

I am also interested to know if it is possible to use the loader on a N54L through an USB key.

Regards,

Rikko.

Hello

I have test it on ESXI 6, it work great, the volumes stay monted and the some packages that i tested seems to work.

I am newbe to compile linux kernel, but I know compile software, so if someone can tel me how to add drivers, I will be happy ti help you.

I also have an N3150 motherbord, so if we can make an DS916 version for add support to CPU Boost and Hardware Transcoding (for DS Video), it'd be a good thing.

Best regards

I'm also working on doing a legacy version because EFI version cannot be use on Hyper-V. EFI is only supported in hardware generation 2, but the network card from hardware generation 2 is not supported by Xpenology...

I'm really keen on this - although wouldn't it be better if we could get the network card from Gen-2 supported?

Cheers

Stu

Sticky :wink:

About the LSI adapter I think it's related to the fact that DSM (3615xs) look for SYNO_DISK_SATA and LSI adapters return things like Avago/LSI xxxx....

DSM return SYNO_DISK_UNKNOWN or SYNO_DISK_SAS so no disks are detected.

In XPEnoboot 5.x the sd.c file is patched in order to never return SYNO_DISK_UNKNOWN nor SYNO_DISK_SAS but always return SYNO_DISK_SATA.

To sum up I don't think is related to driver because mpt2sas in already incldued in genuine Syno but rather in the way that kernel/dsm detect drives.

There is more informations about this here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18089

I haven't released my modified kernel yet, but this is how I got my lsi9211 to work. Interestingly enough the LSI 9265 drives worked fine with unmodified kernel.

I need more time to test everything before I release. This is using the 7274 beta 2 kernel which is not supported by xpenology's dev for good reasons.

On a different topic I should have a timeline of 6.0.2 source release this week.

just reported that it works perfect under vmware workstation v12.

seems the best build til now, the VERY down side only LAN bandwidth limit 30Mb, that's the vmware limit.

This build could update the latest updates from Synology official site.

Very stable, long running coupe days, NO HANGS.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS.

I haven't released my modified kernel yet, but this is how I got my lsi9211 to work. Interestingly enough the LSI 9265 drives worked fine with unmodified kernel.

I need more time to test everything before I release. This is using the 7274 beta 2 kernel which is not supported by xpenology's dev for good reasons.

On a different topic I should have a timeline of 6.0.2 source release this week.

Can't wait! Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

i have make the usb key, with ISO, but when i boot, this message appear and ths boot stop/freeze ths pc:

error: no suitable video mode found

booting in blind mode

trying to terminate EFI services again

can you help me solved?

There is no video output, you have to use serial pipe connection, check the first post on this thread.

i have make the usb key, with ISO, but when i boot, this message appear and ths boot stop/freeze ths pc:

error: no suitable video mode found

booting in blind mode

trying to terminate EFI services again

can you help me solved?

There is no video output, you have to use serial pipe connection, check the first post on this thread.

What is a serial pipe connection??? VGA connector, output video integrated motherboard?

THX

Oh, i guess you are talking about a bare metal install on a physical system.You will not see anything on the VGA past these messages with this unmodified kernel. All messages are going to be forwarded to the serial console. You can either use the serial port of your board or just check with Synology assistant after a couple of minutes, if it can be discovered. You are kind of "blind" but if you have a network card that is recognized by the built in kernel drivers then you'll be good to start.

Oh, i guess you are talking about a bare metal install on a physical system.You will not see anything on the VGA past these messages with this unmodified kernel. All messages are going to be forwarded to the serial console. You can either use the serial port of your board or just check with Synology assistant after a couple of minutes, if it can be discovered. You are kind of "blind" but if you have a network card that is recognized by the built in kernel drivers then you'll be good to start.

Yes, i use a bare metal install, with an USB key. The motherboard = MSI H97M-G43, no serial port. I would test with an HP n54L but it's haven't UEFI bios... and i can't use VM, im a newbie.... :???:

I'm getting errors on bare metal (using your disk image) though it's fine in Vmware.

Error is 'We've detected errors on your hard drives (1,2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

Any thoughts?

I do have a previous install on them (7393), so maybe it needs them cleaned up first?

Cheers

#H

I can only say that in the past I have seen that message with (virtual) disks that were smaller than 8GB, for 5.2x that was the minimum size.

As you are using bare metal with physical disks this should not be the probleme here, but I wanted to add this, if someone is using virtual machines and tries with smaller disks.