XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

• 1 month later...

Hello
can anyone Tell me what is the problem
there is a JunsLoader_v1.01_DS3615xs that loads DSM 6.0.2-8451.
sometimes it happens that JunsLoader_v1.01_DS3615xs is loading, but NAS are not available on the network
several reloads solve the problem, but I would like to understand why
where you can see the logs or what is the problem
help who knows

I'm currently running DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9, on a virtual DS3615xs (ESXi). I saw the warning not to load version 6.2; so, what's the latest 6.1 version I can safely install with loader v.1.02b? And does an ESXi install package exists for it yet? I have an Intel i7 CPU.

Thanks.

Edited by meimeiriver

• 1 month later...

Dear all!

I had a harddisk expantion problem under dsm6.1.Please help me to find out where the problem is.

I had a platform named TIGD2-CI OEM by ECS. This cpu of this platform is D2550.It also has a pcie1x slot and 2 sata port. I added a pcie1x to 2 sata port card which chipest is asmedia1061.Now I have 4 No.s of Hitachi 3TB harddisk(they are listed in DSM named disk1 2 5 6).My platform and board work well in DSM 5.2 by xpenoboot loader. But after DSM6.0.2 6.1 and 6.2 whatever I tried to update, new install the syatem.The last disk(6) cannot be run or format or init.But when I tried to If I keep only 3 disks, all the 3 disks can used and make raid group.  I feel puzzled.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, pecimom said:

there is a JunsLoader_v1.01_DS3615xs that loads DSM 6.0.2-8451.

Wrong thread.

Please read the forum rules 🧐

6 hours ago, carlyang1986 said:

Dear all!

I had a harddisk expantion problem under dsm6.1.Please help me to find out where the problem is.

I had a platform named TIGD2-CI OEM by ECS. This cpu of this platform is D2550.It also has a pcie1x slot and 2 sata port. I added a pcie1x to 2 sata port card which chipest is asmedia1061.Now I have 4 No.s of Hitachi 3TB harddisk(they are listed in DSM named disk1 2 5 6).My platform and board work well in DSM 5.2 by xpenoboot loader. But after DSM6.0.2 6.1 and 6.2 whatever I tried to update, new install the syatem.The last disk(6) cannot be run or format or init.But when I tried to If I keep only 3 disks, all the 3 disks can used and make raid group.  I feel puzzled.

What loader do you actually use? Is disk no. 6 displayed as e-sata device in the storage manager? Did you try to modify the grub.cfg? Within grub.cfg try to change SATAPORTMAP=1 to SATAPortMap=22.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I need help!

I am using Baremetal 1.02b 3617xs firmware on DSM 6.1.x on a Dell T130 (8-thread) server (chipset Intel C236, IDrac8 Enterprise) with 16GB memory and a Dell 9020Micro (Intel Q87 Express) 16GB memory.

I use Virtual Machine Manager on both machines.

On the 9020, I can install Windows 10 1803 and Windows 2016 operating systems without error during the T130 installation, running KMode Exception on both operating systems.
centOS and Windows 7 is working good.

What do I have to do to work on the T130, I've tried a lot of options at Bios.

There is also an old HP 6200Pro also at me that goes without fault with VMM & Windows 10 1803.

Please help me! :|

Thanks!

Edited by l0v4szl

So you want to install Xpenology on your 9020?

You should provide us the complete hardware configuration of your servers as we can advise you more accurately what you have to do.

A generic answer I can give you is to install Proxmox and to create a VM that will be your NAS (I have migrated my both baremetal NAS without any issues and loss of configuration)

Thanks for the help!
I want to run virtual machines through Synology VirtualMachineManager.
Baremetal DSM works well on 9020 and T130.
On the T130, however, the windows 10 virtual machine will go with kmode exception error and I would fix it and it would be very important because it is a much stronger machine.
On the 9020, Windows10 can be installed flawlessly on VMM, I don't understand.

You should really reconsider to virtualize the Xpenology instead of running baremetal more particularly if you are using VMM.

Indeed, until last week I was using it too and its performances are really crappy by comparison with a native virtualization solution.

And creating a virtual Xpenology under Proxmox is not too difficult ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

DSM version: 3615xs 6.1.7-15284 Update 3

Jun bootloader 1.02b

Hardware: Dell 720xd with H310 mini (for my VMs) and PCIe H310 flashed to IT

Software: VMWare ESXi 6.5U1 with PCIe H310 passed to Xpenology

----

I need some assistance with properly setting sata_args in synoboot.img in a virtual environment.

I've had Xpenology running smoothly for a year and half as a VM on my Dell R720xd. The chassis holds 12 drives and for quite a while I've run with two volumes: (1) 8x8TB RAID10 and (2) 2x8TB RAID0. Other than setting the MAC address and S/N in grub.cfg I left everything "stock". 

Very recently I decided I wanted to fill the last 2 empty slots with a couple more 8TB drives and make a third volume. When I did that DSM reported that my RAID10 array had degraded and one of my original 8TB drives was missing, reporting only 11 drives. After a lot of trial and error, I determined that if there are 11 drives installed, DSM is OK. When a 12th drive is installed, I lose one of the originals. Am I running to an issue where my boot drive + 11 = 12 maximum drives?

In ESXi,  I have one drive defined which is the boot drive. This shows up as a SATA drive in DSM's dmesg. My pass-through drives all show up as SCSI drives. In dmesg I can see that the 12th disk is recognized (/dev/sdas), but the drive doesn't show up in DSM.

My sata_args is as follows:

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

I played around with DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap and changes made zero difference. I found that DSM sees 32 SATA devices which means SataPortMap=1 wasn't doing anything. I found a thread where someone said that moving it to common_args_3615 would make the system recognize it. When I did that, the disk numbering drastically changed (my first data drive starts at drive 34 and it went to drive 2) but DSM could only see 6 drives and indicated my RAID10 volume was crashed. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next? Perhaps move DiskIdxMap to common_args_3615?

I also tried modifying synoinfo.conf (usbportconfig, esataportconfig, internalportcfg, and maxdisks) but this made no difference.

At this point even with the original synoboot.img without the missing drive, the volume is degraded and I'm going to have to do a repair to get it back to normal. The drive that was missing now says Initialized, Normal. I'm afraid to to do any changes that may cause more drives to drop from the array forcing me to restore everything from a backup.

Thanks for any help.

16 hours ago, Maxhawk said:

My sata_args is as follows:

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

I played around with DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap and changes made zero difference. I found that DSM sees 32 SATA devices which means SataPortMap=1 wasn't doing anything. I found a thread where someone said that moving it to common_args_3615 would make the system recognize it. When I did that, the disk numbering drastically changed (my first data drive starts at drive 34 and it went to drive 2) but DSM could only see 6 drives and indicated my RAID10 volume was crashed. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next? Perhaps move DiskIdxMap to common_args_3615?

I finally got it working! It turned out that none of the commands in set sata_args were being executed. I had to move DiskIdxMap, SataPortMap, and SasIdxMap to common_args_3615. Once I did that, I was able to figure out by trial and error that DSM sees 3 controllers. The trick that worked was to set DiskIdxMap=0C0D. This also resulted in proper numbering of the data drives starting with Drive 1. I think setting DiskIdxMap=0C0D00 would be more proper and would have worked too. I left SataPortMap=1 and SasIdxMap=0.

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused.    This guide says not to upgrade past 6.1.7 but the Reference: Loaders and Platforms  indicates that Loader 1.03 and 1.04 support 6.2.2.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Is it OK to upgrade (or actually Im looking at a fresh install) straight to 6.22 if using the 1.03 or 1.04 loader ?    Is there a newer guide/thread about 6.22 that I missed ?

I am using an HP Gen8 Microserver,  with an Intel i5 (Ivy Bridge) CPU  -  so looks like I have to stay with Loader 1.03 as 1.04 requires Haswell or later generation CPU. 

Thanks

Hello @Dartremil and welcome to the forum.

This thread is not a "guide" so I suppose you are referring to the tutorial I made. If not and either way, both the tutorial and this thread clearly state that you can't upgrade past DSM 6.1 WITH loader v1.02b. However, you can install DSM 6.2 with either loaders v1.03b and v1.04b depending which loader model you chose (DS3615/DS3617 or DS918+ respectively).

Quotes from all topics:

On 9/20/2016 at 9:57 PM, jun said:

DO NOT update to DSM 6.2 with loader v.1.02b. It will not work. I repeat. DO NOT update to DSM 6.2

On 9/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

:!:DO NOT UPDATE DSM BEYOND VERSION 6.1.7 with loader v1.02b.

IN OTHER WORDS  DO NOT UPDATE TO DSM 6.2:!:

On 10/19/2018 at 9:36 PM, flyride said:

6.x Loaders and Platforms as of 07/Apr/2019

Loader DSM Platform DSM Version Kernel DSM /dev/dri DSM NVMe cache Boot method CPU Needed Notes
1.04b DS918 6.2 to 6.2.2 4.4.x Supported Supported EFI or Legacy BIOS Haswell or later recommended, AsRock Jxxxx fails on 6.2.2
1.03b DS3615 or DS3617 6.2 to 6.2.2 3.10.x Not Supported Not Supported Legacy BIOS only Nehalem or later 6.2.1+ seems to require Intel e1000e NIC

1.02b DS916 6.0.3 to 6.1.7  3.10.x Supported Not Supported

EFI or Legacy BIOS (Jun)

MBR (Genesys)

Nehalem or later  
1.02b DS3615 6.0.3 to 6.1.7 3.10.x Not Supported Not Supported

EFI or Legacy BIOS (Jun)

MBR (Genesys)

Nehalem or later recommended
1.02b DS3617 6.0.3 to 6.1.6 3.10.x Not Supported Not Supported

EFI or Legacy BIOS (Jun)

MBR (Genesys)

Nehalem or later 6.1.7 on ESXi failures reported
1.01 DS916 or
DS3615 or DS3617
6.0 to 6.0.2 3.10.x Not Supported Not Supported

EFI or Legacy BIOS (Jun)

MBR (Genesys)

Nehalem or later obsolete

Please note that both this topic and the tutorial were designed for DSM 6.1 so they are not aimed at addressing DSM 6.2. There is another thread for DSM 6.2:

Also please have a look at the faqs. This should help clear up some questions you may have:

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Polanskiman  -  yes sorry I did mean that tutorial - thanks for creating that.

After reading about the requirement for a specific Intel NIC to run 6.2  I decided to play it safe and stay with 6.1.7. 

Ive been using 5.2 for the past 3 years,  but have only ever installed it the once, and it has been rock solid since.

The clean install of 6.1.7  (I did not want to keep any data or DSM settings from 5.2 - had to reconfigure my disks/RAID anyway)  using Jun's 1.02b bootloader and following your tutorial went smoothly,  as did the in DSM update to 6.1.7 Update 3. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello all!

i have read this over and over and over haha and im not sure if i can just can aply the update 3 for my DSM.

i have the loader for DS3615xs - DSM 6.1.7-15284 and the update center say that DSM 6.1.7-15284 update 3 is anvaiable.

is it safe to just do the update 3?

and i know i NOT update beyond 6.1.7 so NOT take the next update to 6.2

Please advise.

Best Regards,

Mark

On 8/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, ToTaLReFuSeD said:

have read this over and over and over haha and im not sure if i can just can aply the update 3 for my DSM.

i have the loader for DS3615xs - DSM 6.1.7-15284 and the update center say that DSM 6.1.7-15284 update 3 is anvaiable.

is it safe to just do the update 3?

Have you read this in the DSM Update Reporting section?