XPEnology Community

Couple of Question about My migration from a ds3615xs to a ds918+

FelixA02

Question

hello, i am trying to kind of plan everything out before upgrading my current system for hardware Transcoding on plex with quicksync. 

im going from a

ds3615xs DSM 6.1.7-15284

Super Micro X9SCM-F motherboard

intel xeon e3-1270

8gb ddr3

to a ds918+ DSM 6.2.3-25426

MSI Z270 KRAIT GAMING Motherboard

intel i5-7400

32gb ddr4

but I use a lsi sas 9210-8i and i have read at the beginning of the post that it has problem if i keep hibernation on. so if i don't turn on hibernation, should i be fine?

also if I want to use higher ethernet speed that 1gb. will i be able to use the compiled drives for QNAP QNA-UC5G1T(aqc111) on my configuration or should i go with an older version of DSM for it to work. 

i was also wondering what the limit was for the DS918+ as i have read that apparently there is a limit to the number of NICs that i can use. i have seen ways to bypass that but they also say that the ethernet nic wont show up in the setting page. so my Question is even if it doesent show up. if i plug in a cable directly from my nas to my router on said port will it work without me needing to go and tweek some settings.

also i was under the impression that on a DS918+ with DSM 6.2.3 i would not be able to use my 10gb nic (intel X540-T2) since they have remove support for it on this model but someone told me that it would be fine. am i wrong? 

Finally i plan on using a nvme as storage for my plex since i have it lying around and buying a new sata ssd would be the same price as buying a new nvme drive when you start looking at 2tb drives. i have seen this tutorial 

i was wondering if any of you thought there might be a problem as it is a tutorial for a real synology and not a xpenology

5 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, FelixA02 said:

i was wondering if any of you thought there might be a problem as it is a [NVMe] tutorial for a real synology and not a xpenology

It will work as stated. It doesn't matter if it's for a real Synology or not.  But it's manually hacking in an array which has members that are not supported by DSM.

The poster creates only a Basic array.  If DSM tries to manipulate that array in any way (such as repairing RAID etc) it will instantly fail.  Maybe this won't ever happen as a Basic array (vs a multi-element array) but if it does, it will crash.

There is a legitimately supportable way of doing this, which is to use a hypervisor and then map the NVMe disks to a SATA disks using virtualization features. Then DSM will see the storage as SATA and manage it as usual.  But this also isn't very simple and if you aren't already using a hypervisor based solution, a whole lot more to learn.

Thanks for posting this as a new topic.  I hope you hear some other opinions from others who would otherwise not see it.

• Like 1

Moved my original answers along with your repost if it helps anyone else.

1 hour ago, FelixA02 said:

I plan on keeping my 11x4tb ironwolf setup while keeping the data if i can.(correct me if i am wrong but i only need to place them in the same order for the raid6 to not break when i move them)

They don't even have to stay in the same order as long as the array is healthy before migration.  But always, ALWAYS have a backup of your data before you subject an array to a migration installation event.

i was also wondering what the limit was for the DS918+ as i have read that apparently there is one.

What limit would that be?  Ethernet port speed?  No limit, just have to get driver support.  Out of the box there is a limit to the number of NICs you can use at one time, but that can easily be addressed.

also if possible could i use my Intel x540-T2

Sure, and quite preferable to a USB solution

Finally i plan on using a nvme as storage for my plex since i have it lying around and buying a new sata ssd would be the same price as buying a new nvme drive

DSM is designed to manage SATA not NVMe, especially on 6.1.x.  It doesn't want to use NVMe as storage, only cache.  It can be hacked to work but it is not supported or simple.  I would abandon that idea if I were in your shoes.  You're already looking at a very ambitious project.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FelixA02 said:

but I use a lsi sas 9210-8i and i have read at the beginning of the post that it has problem if i keep hibernation on. so if i don't turn on hibernation, should i be fine?

yes, but the extra.lzma with jun's lsi sas drivers has older drivers as i stopped using it in my extra.lzma and replaced it with a safe to use driver that has other problems (no smart info, no drive SN) that create new problems as it will be hard to see what drive is failing

using dsm is often because convenience and your nvme plan contradict that

as you dont mention the hardware transcoding you might not need it, so it might be a option to use tinycore rp loader with 3622 7.x, it has syno's lsi sas drivers and can use nvme too, that might  be a option

there is also a alternative to your lsi sas, as your new board has plenty of pcie 3.0 slots and 6 sata ports already you could use one jmb585 or asm1166 based pcie to sata card to get your 11 drives running, both chips support pcie 3.0 and have two pcie lanes

• Like 1

Il y a 17 heures, IG-88 a dit :

(no smart info, no drive SN) that create new problems as it will be hard to see what drive is failing

I think that I am going to buy the asm1166. will the smart info and drive sn work with the updated extra.lzma or does it have the same problem? 

also if am only using hard drives is a asm1166 x1 enough or i should still get a x4

Il y a 17 heures, IG-88 a dit :

as you dont mention the hardware transcoding you might not need it

I am thinking of transcoding some plex movies via quicksync. 

5 hours ago, FelixA02 said:

I think that I am going to buy the asm1166. will the smart info and drive sn work with the updated extra.lzma or does it have the same problem? 

the latest will not have sn and smart but is save to use, i only re uploaded the last one with the old version for people wanting to risk it

also if am only using hard drives is a asm1166 x1 enough or i should still get a x4

a 1x card would be bad for performance the chip can use two lanes so the pcie 4x card is then"normal" one (there is no slot/card for 2x, the layout would be 4x fo r 2x card)

I am thinking of transcoding some plex movies via quicksync. 

then you would need to use 918+, but if you change to ahci then there is no problem either with 6.2.3 or 7.x