XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate to DSM 7.x with TinyCore RedPill (TCRP) Loader

flyride

Hi All

I've not seen this mentioned elsewhere, but how to change the 'netif_num' parameter? The default seems to be '1' in the tests I was doing with various builds.

A little bit of testing and the answer is to edit user_config.json with the required settings in the format "netif_num" : "N", where N is your nic count, then add your additional mac addresses, rebuild. :)

If someone else could verify?

2 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Hi All

I've not seen this mentioned elsewhere, but how to change the 'netif_num' parameter? The default seems to be '1' in the tests I was doing with various builds.

A little bit of testing and the answer is to edit user_config.json with the required settings in the format "netif_num" : "N", where N is your nic count, then add your additional mac addresses, rebuild. :)

If someone else could verify?

Moderators, it seems you have been to the forum after a long time.

As you said, if you modify netif_num in user_config.json file in advance

This setting is referenced when building the Redpill loader.

If you want to change the mac address or netif_num even after the build of the loader is finished,

you can edit grub.cfg in the same way as the existing jun loader.

Another way is to temporarily apply netif_num from grub.cfg.

In the GNU Grub boot menu, enter the desired menu with the e key, modify this value, and proceed with temporary booting with F10.

This value is only used at the time of editing as volatile.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

very nicely written steps. I followed this and got my second Xpenology machine working. A few notes, from my build:

Dell Inspiron 580 motherboard with i3-530, with 10gb ram.

ASMedia 1064 4port SATA expansion card with PICE interface. 

Several old HDD/SSDs.

I can only get the broadwelllnk-7.01-42218 working, the 42661 does not work.

During the install, it says the expansion card has 24 ports (LOL), but some ports (can't remember what the number, but I believe it said 7~10) are bad. I selected 6 during the satamap config. And after the install, it shows there are 12 driver slots, 1~4 used by the motherboard HDDs, and the two HDD connected with the expansion card as 8 and 10. Don't understand it.

It reports both my old PNY XLR8 Pro SATA SSDs as critical. Seems like some kind of compatibility issue. the two old SSDs are in good shape. running fine under Linux/Windows.

The same old age Plextor M5Pro SATA SSD working fine. So does the OCZ ARC100.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:22 AM, lan_baba said:

very nicely written steps. I followed this and got my second Xpenology machine working. A few notes, from my build:

Dell Inspiron 580 motherboard with i3-530, with 10gb ram.

ASMedia 1064 4port SATA expansion card with PICE interface. 

Several old HDD/SSDs.

I can only get the broadwelllnk-7.01-42218 working, the 42661 does not work.

During the install, it says the expansion card has 24 ports (LOL), but some ports (can't remember what the number, but I believe it said 7~10) are bad. I selected 6 during the satamap config. And after the install, it shows there are 12 driver slots, 1~4 used by the motherboard HDDs, and the two HDD connected with the expansion card as 8 and 10. Don't understand it.

It reports both my old PNY XLR8 Pro SATA SSDs as critical. Seems like some kind of compatibility issue. the two old SSDs are in good shape. running fine under Linux/Windows.

The same old age Plextor M5Pro SATA SSD working fine. So does the OCZ ARC100.

check your satamap and diskidxmap carefully in user_config.json, should probably be something like 44 and 0004. I have some asmedia cards and they report strange numbers (on some the bios appears as an hdd) manual override seems to fix it. DSM6/7 seem to be v fussy about disk health, you might see historical issues with a smart check that DSM dont like. you might not be able to create a volume with these, I've not found a way to override that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 5:46 AM, flyride said:

In the troubleshooting section there are several strategies to mitigate bad ports.

It may not always be possible to resolve the problem depending upon the motherboard design.  If that is the case, consider virtualizing where individual ports can be selected and attached to a virtual SATA controller (i.e. ESXi RDM) or choose a Device Tree platform where each port is specified.

Sadly I dont undestand any of those "solutions"
tried looking on forums but theres nothing.

I was on 920+ with single drive - tried to add antoher and it couldnt find it on any sata.
Moved to 918 and when making build

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap
Found "03:00.1 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43c8 (rev 01)"
Detected 8 ports/2 drives. Bad ports: 3 4 7 8. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <8>
Found "28:00.2 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)"
Detected 1 ports/0 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <1>
Computed settings:
SataPortMap=81
DiskIdxMap=0008
WARNING: Bad ports are mapped. The DSM installation will fail!

Phisically there are 6 ports 1-6.
Why It marks 3,4 as bad?

Overriding does nothing.

On 9/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, Aeit said:

Sadly I dont undestand any of those "solutions"
tried looking on forums but theres nothing.

I was on 920+ with single drive - tried to add antoher and it couldnt find it on any sata.
Moved to 918 and when making build

Found "03:00.1 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43c8 (rev 01)"
Detected 8 ports/2 drives. Bad ports: 3 4 7 8. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <8>
Found "28:00.2 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)"
Detected 1 ports/0 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <1>
Computed settings:
SataPortMap=81
DiskIdxMap=0008
WARNING: Bad ports are mapped. The DSM installation will fail!

Phisically there are 6 ports 1-6.
Why It marks 3,4 as bad?

Overriding does nothing.

[Partially deleted. Let the moderator do the moderation. Thank you]

Finding the cause of the DS920+ not using the disk may be an easier solution.

I would like to check the contents of the Device Tree with your AMD MOBO model and the command below.

lspci -tvnnq

Please contact us with a new post including this.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:47 PM, Peter Suh said:

This post is a place to guide the installation guide, and it does not seem appropriate to inquire. Sometimes,

it would be better to ask again with a new post on NOOB or general questions, because the contents of the road that follow the replies may follow.

Finding the cause of the DS920+ not using the disk may be an easier solution.

I would like to check the contents of the Device Tree with your AMD MOBO model and the command below.

lspci -tvnnq

Please contact us with a new post including this.

Your questions will be answered here.

MOBO figured it out

lspci -tvnnq

Please report the result.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@flyrideYou might want to incorporate the clean command:

./rploader.sh clean

prior the backup in 'Step 7. Optional Backup Tasks.' This is because when you are doing a 

./rploader.sh update

and 

./rploader.sh fullupgrade

the loader is updating to the development version and after upgrading to v0.9.2.5++, without this command, the loader sometimes complains there is not enough space.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I followed the tutorial everything is fine until the part where it asks for the PAT file to install, I choose the latest DSM_DS3622xs+_42962 wich is the correct version for my build but it fails at around 56% saying the file is corrupt... what could be the problem here?

I already booted to synology, I used different drives and worked.

Now the issue is another because not all drives are detected. My board is an intel S2600GL that has 2 sata ports from the C600 chipset, 4 from the C602 and 8 from an dell HBA Sas2008.

The drives that are not detected are the ones in the C602 chipset controller. they are detected in windows I tested it.

The tinycore detects all of them but synology does not:

Found SCSI HBAs, We need to install the SCSI modules
scsi-5.10.3-tinycore64 is already installed!
Succesfully installed SCSI modules

Found "00:1f.2 Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)"
Detected 6 ports/1 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <6> 2

Found SCSI/HBA "08:00.0 Intel Corporation C602 chipset 4-Port SATA Storage Control Unit (rev 06)" (3 drives)
Found SCSI/HBA "84:00.0 LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)" (3 drives)

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=2
DiskIdxMap=00

Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn]

I think the driver module isci is needed for the C602 to work...

So I tried with the sas expander board to connect the 12 sata ports to the 8 ports of the hba and it worked. all drives are detected now. I thought port multipliers didn't work because I read that in the first post... I just have now to figure out out to put them in order the first 12 slots first and then port 13 and 14 to the internal sata ports...

The goal is to keep this thread fully "mainstream" and not necessarily aligned with all the dev work that is constantly happening around RedPill. As things move from development into mainstream I intend to update, and have updated the core post.

If you want to be aligned with the very latest work, you are a dev tester and should understand the enhancements associated with development.

16 hours ago, flyride said:

The goal is to keep this thread fully "mainstream" and not necessarily aligned with all the dev work that is constantly happening around RedPill. As things move from development into mainstream I intend to update, and have updated the core post.

If you want to be aligned with the very latest work, you are a dev tester and should understand the enhancements associated with development.

The problem with this, is that in the tutorial you mention:

./rploader.sh update
./rploader.sh fullupgrade

and this automatically updates you to dev version of the loader.

• 2 weeks later...

For informational purposes in case it happens to someone else

I am playing with VM on ESXI 7.0u3. Using TCRP 0.9.2.9 and updating it to 0.9.3. I follow the process correctly (serialgen, satamap, build, etc, etc). Everything seems to end correctly. But when I boot the VM in GRUB only the TCRP boot option appears. If I repeat the process without updating from 0.9.2.9 to 0.9.3.0 everything works correctly (in GRUB the correct boot options appear)

I will try directly with the new version to download TCRP 0.9.3.0

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yonn said:

For informational purposes in case it happens to someone else

I am playing with VM on ESXI 7.0u3. Using TCRP 0.9.2.9 and updating it to 0.9.3. I follow the process correctly (serialgen, satamap, build, etc, etc). Everything seems to end correctly. But when I boot the VM in GRUB only the TCRP boot option appears. If I repeat the process without updating from 0.9.2.9 to 0.9.3.0 everything works correctly (in GRUB the correct boot options appear)

I will try directly with the new version to download TCRP 0.9.3.0

Can you please share the output of the build command ? I performed a change today. Maybe i messed something up ?

EDIT:  OK, found the typo :-S fixed please update 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

I tried directy with 0.9.3.0 vmdk. The same result: in GRUB only Tinycore Image Build boot.

I am a novice in Linux, how to send the output to a file? Maybe some like that?

./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.1.1-42692 withfriend >>output.txt

And then paste the text file.

I won't be able to test it for a few hours

10 minutes ago, yonn said:

I tried directy with 0.9.3.0 vmdk. The same result: in GRUB only Tinycore Image Build boot.

Dont worry, i've found the issue, and re released the images, just update to latest and try again. 

./rploader.sh update 

24 minutes ago, yonn said:

At this time:  boot from 0.9.3.0.vmdk.

./rploader.sh update

./rploader fullupgrade

etc,etc

./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.1.1-42692 withfriend

etc,etc

I have 4 options in GRUB: USB, SATA, TC Build Image, Tiny Friend

I am not very clear about what the fourth option Tinycore Friend is for or how I should use it. If I select it, I get an error:

"Loading Linux

error: premature end of file /bzImage-friend.

loadind initframs..,

error: you need to load the kernel first.

Booting Tiny Core Friend

Press any key to continue...."

14 minutes ago, yonn said:

At this time:  boot from 0.9.3.0.vmdk.

./rploader.sh update

./rploader fullupgrade

etc,etc

./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.1.1-42692 withfriend

etc,etc

I have 4 options in GRUB: USB, SATA, TC Build Image, Tiny Friend

I am not very clear about what the fourth option Tinycore Friend is for or how I should use it. If I select it, I get an error:

"Loading Linux

error: premature end of file /bzImage-friend.

loadind initframs..,

error: you need to load the kernel first.

Booting Tiny Core Friend

Press any key to continue...."

Well it should load the bzImage-friend and continue booting, for some reason it did not. How much is the space you have left on the third partition ? Maybe its too low ? You can check from Tinycore with a

df -h |grep sd

and check your sdx3 free space

Edited by pocopico