XPEnology Community

Moving from Jun 6.2.3 to RedPill - Guide or Best Practice doc?

PeteyNice

I have been using Jun's Loader/6.2.3 for successfully for over two years. I had avoided RedPill because I assumed that I would need to buy a new drive, pull all the drives, install RedPill, reconfigure Syno from scratch, add back the old drives and depend on Syno to migrate everything. 

Then I started seeing people posting in the Updates forum that they went from 6.2.3 to RedPill. They provide no comments about how this was done.  Is there another method? One that does not require reconfiguring everything? 

• 2 weeks later...

1. Do you want to save only data (files) on old disks (6.2.3)? Or are there still configured users and packages/applications that you also want to save? Depending on this, the transition sequence to DSM 7 differs slightly.

2. Do you need DSM 7.0.1 or 7.1.0? Which model is - DS918+? Or...?

3. In any case, before the transition, it is desirable:

• to have some test HDD on which you can check whether DSG 7 will work on your hardware;
  • make a full backup of DSM 6.2.3 (data, packages, settings);
  • use a new USB flash drive for the new bootloader

Depending on the answers I can add a description of the steps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 5:29 PM, dj_nsk said:

1. Do you want to save only data (files) on old disks (6.2.3)? Or are there still configured users and packages/applications that you also want to save? Depending on this, the transition sequence to DSM 7 differs slightly.

2. Do you need DSM 7.0.1 or 7.1.0? Which model is - DS918+? Or...?

3. In any case, before the transition, it is desirable:

• to have some test HDD on which you can check whether DSG 7 will work on your hardware;
  • make a full backup of DSM 6.2.3 (data, packages, settings);
  • use a new USB flash drive for the new bootloader

Depending on the answers I can add a description of the steps.

1 question , if i put a new hdd a new usb flash drive and fail to put DSM 7 , can I put back the old USB and old HDD (from DSM 6)?everything will be ok?

58 minutes ago, adicontakt said:

1 question , if i put a new hdd a new usb flash drive and fail to put DSM 7 , can I put back the old USB and old HDD (from DSM 6)?everything will be ok?

Yes... as you haven't changed the old USB or old HDD in any way... right?