XPEnology Community

Hello everyone, after the 7.1 version update, the real SN and MAC seems to be a mandatory configuration, because Advanced Media Extensions 2.0 needs to be verified before it can be installed. So I specially opened a post to ask everyone to share the real SN and MAC (without affecting everyone's own use). Especially models after 19 years, including but not limited to: DS3622xs+, DVA3221.

3 minutes ago, flyride said:

Sorry, but I believe this is in contravention to the terms of use: https://xpenology.com/forum/terms/

Indeed. There is also an announcement relating to SN/MAC: https://xpenology.com/forum/announcement/2-dsm-serial-number-must-read/

37 minutes ago, yanjun said:

Hello everyone, after the 7.1 version update, the real SN and MAC seems to be a mandatory configuration, because Advanced Media Extensions 2.0 needs to be verified before it can be installed. So I specially opened a post to ask everyone to share the real SN and MAC (without affecting everyone's own use). Especially models after 19 years, including but not limited to: DS3622xs+, DVA3221.

Curious though why would anyone with a real Synology share their SN and MAC?

22 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Indeed. There is also an announcement relating to SN/MAC: https://xpenology.com/forum/announcement/2-dsm-serial-number-must-read/

Curious though why would anyone with a real Synology share their SN and MAC?

It's not surprising that many people leak some real SN/MAC for reasons such as posting their own review videos. It is normal for other people to see these SN/MAC sharing.

8 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

I was obviously implying intentionally. Whatever the case, it is in the best interest of the forum not to disseminate such information. With a simple google or youtube search you may find what you are seeking for.

I don't mean to argue. After DSM7.1, the installation of Advanced Media Extensions has affected the normal use of DSM. I understand that the previous SN/MAC sales are not in line with the purpose of the forum. I also happily accept that my post has been migrated for violating the old rules. But if the current forum rules for DSM Serial Number should be updated after 5 years as circumstances change is a question.

Edited by yanjun

2 часа назад, yanjun сказал:

... After DSM7.1, the installation of Advanced Media Extensions has affected the normal use of DSM...

You can:

1) continue to use 7.0.1;

or

2) stop using Advanced Media Extensions;

or

3) use Google to find information;

or

4) wait for the desired patch to appear (as it has happened more than once in the past)

why publish SN/MAC here?

57 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

You can:

1) continue to use 7.0.1;

or

2) stop using Advanced Media Extensions;

or

3) use Google to find information;

or

4) wait for the desired patch to appear (as it has happened more than once in the past)

why publish SN/MAC here?

Because I'm trying to solve the problem, jumkey and I have figured out how to authorize advanced media extentions for DS3622xs+ in version 7.1 before raising the need for SN/MAC. Because there is currently no valid DVA3221 SN/MAC combination. So we can't test. My purpose is to make the experience of the dsm loader closer to the original genuine Synology. Don't quite understand what problem your proposed solution really solves?

Edited by yanjun

2 hours ago, yanjun said:

Because I'm trying to solve the problem, jumkey and I have figured out how to authorize advanced media extentions for DS3622xs+ in version 7.1 before raising the need for SN/MAC. Because there is currently no valid DVA3221 SN/MAC combination. So we can't test. My purpose is to make the experience of the dsm loader closer to the original genuine Synology. Don't quite understand what problem your proposed solution really solves?

@yanjun

IMHO, its always better to separate the OS hack from the loader hack. OS is something that should at some extension be open due to the GNU license (and XPEN is all about our objection to that :P. The individual software is licensed and it should stay like that. Developers should have their jobs right ? 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pocopico said:

@yanjun

IMHO, its always better to separate the OS hack from the loader hack. OS is something that should at some extension open  due to the GNU license. The individual software is licensed and it should stay like that. Developers should have their jobs right ? 

In fact, using sn/mac is not an os hack. We're just trying to put the right value in the right place.

13 hours ago, yanjun said:

In fact, using sn/mac is not an os hack. We're just trying to put the right value in the right place.

@yanjun using a valid sn/mac on a non synology device it's not ethically correct, we will be abusing Synology's services and that might give another reason to Synology to shutdown this community if we start passing valid sn/mac around...

I remember when ThorGroup was developing the RedPill loader they made a lot of comments that they did not want to make any changes/hacks on the source code that is not covered by that GNU license... This is the same license Synology has to respect also and release the DSM code to the public.

I understand that your intentions is to assist and help the community with an issue but again ethically I am also against it. If somebody wants to pass that boundary he/she knows what to do...

Edited by gadreel
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, yanjun said:

Because I'm trying to solve the problem, jumkey and I have figured out how to authorize advanced media extentions for DS3622xs+ in version 7.1 before raising the need for SN/MAC

Hi yanjun, and do you mind sharing how did you authorize the advanced media extensions?

Thanks!