XPEnology Community

The best way to monitor your NAS

Hello guys!

I'd like to discuss the way you monitor your NAS, may be we can choose the best and easiest way including soft, panels, type of the info you need to make your NAS healthy.

If you are interested I could tell more particular of my own monitoring system to start with.

I use Virtual ubuntu + zabbix + grafana + zabbix template = self hand-made panels. Info of my main system called LOCAL and my Xpenology NAS called DSM combined on the only screen.

I watch:

CPU temp

FAN speed if any

HDD and SSD temp

Lan speed

RAID health

Volume usage

It looks like this:

image.thumb.png.d3afba80d645cfb349eafe6acde05e05.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I run LibreNMS (a free implementation of Observium) running in a docker container on the DSM itself. This also monitors other bits of network kit around the house, and some servers elsewhere. I'm running DSM on an ESXi host (which is also monitored in LibreNMS) on an HP Gen8, whose iLO exposes hardware data via IPMI which can be added in alongside an SNMP entry.

https://www.librenms.org

Librenms "knows" about Synology devices and what hardware and software components to monitor and alert on.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 8:02 PM, haldi said:

Just use NetData docker container. All in one.

image.thumb.png.3b2a282168ca6e7bf143da6b0e45d019.png

Thanks for sharing! Though your monitoring system is the exact reason to determine its usability. I suppose for home NAS we need HDD temperature, dynamic of key SMART attributes, raid status and volumes' usage. We do not need perfomance, cpu and so on. I am pretty sure at night I get my backup and speed of backing up is not so important.