XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader Build Support Tool ( M-Shell )

Peter Suh

[NOTICE]

The ARPL loader has been improved from beta 11a to this error script.

There was an error in the addon's misc driver.

This bugfix patch has nothing to do with the performance of 6th generation or higher CPUs.

TCRP loader gives redpill-misc driver error

A little while ago, I finished editing and delivered it to pocopico to make changes to the original TCRP side as well.

In M SHELL, you can use the error correction by applying it right away.

Both ARPL and TCRP need to rebuild the loader to use them according to the performance of the CPU.

To check how SpeedStep of the current CPU is operating, proceed as follows.

If you see the following after connecting to SSH, the acpi-cpufreq driver is blocked and the CPU is operating at the lowest performance level.

cat /usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf

cpufreq_stats
processor
#acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq_performance
cpufreq_powersave

You can fix that # note by directly modifying this file, but as soon as the redfill reboots, that part will be restored.

So basically you have to rebuild the loader.

After rebuilding the loader, you can check it again to see if all 5 things have been changed so that they work.

cat /usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf

cpufreq_stats
processor
acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq_performance
cpufreq_powersave

As for the actual performance change, you can connect via SSH and run Geekbench once.

Please return this once before building the loader.

wget https://cdn.geekbench.com/Geekbench-5.4.6-Linux.tar.gz && tar xf Geekbench-5.4.6-Linux.tar.gz && ./Geekbench-5.4.6-Linux/geekbench5

Then, after the loader build is finished, just run this one more time.

./geekbench-5.4.6-Linux/geekbench5

I just finished editing and testing the script so that /lib/modules/acpi-cpufreq.ko can be applied correctly in TCRP with the help of fabio.

This script only seems to be valid for Intel 4th gen and lower CPUs.

My 4th generation CPUs show a performance increase of about 3 times or more in the benchmark results after this script is applied correctly.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-load/blob/master/redpill-misc/releases/install-all.sh

• 2 weeks later...

Quick 2 questions:

1) what is jot mode (i remember jun`s mod but not jot) and is it better than Friend?

2) Is there any way to run DS920+ or DVA1622 on proxmox? I want passthought iGPU from my kabylake`s CPU into VM to have HW acceleration for Plex. I remember that ds3622xs+ and dva3219 works well on proxmox but both doesn`t support intel`s iGPU.

20 minutes ago, shibby said:

Quick 2 questions:

1) what is jot mode (i remember jun`s mod but not jot) and is it better than Friend?

2) Is there any way to run DS920+ or DVA1622 on proxmox? I want passthought iGPU from my kabylake`s CPU into VM to have HW acceleration for Plex. I remember that ds3622xs+ and dva3219 works well on proxmox but both doesn`t support intel`s iGPU.

1) jot mode means the existing TCRP itself. It is a name deliberately attached to distinguish it from jun mode.
Even in cases where TCRP FRIEND does not cover, Jot Mode often operates.

2) DS920+ or DVA1622 not installed?

19 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

2) DS920+ or DVA1622 not installed?

i tried both: started but "Synology Assistant" can`t find them in my network. I don`t know is there some problem with LAN drivers (i selected e1000 in proxmox) or with CPU type (i have to use default kvm64 because when i select "skylake" then VM wont start)

DVA3621 with cpu kvm64 and e1000 as network works fine and Synology Assistant can find easly.

Edited by shibby

2 hours ago, shibby said:

i tried both: started but "Synology Assistant" can`t find them in my network. I don`t know is there some problem with LAN drivers (i selected e1000 in proxmox) or with CPU type (i have to use default kvm64 because when i select "skylake" then VM wont start)

DVA3621 with cpu kvm64 and e1000 as network works fine and Synology Assistant can find easly.

Have you tried with M SHELL for TCRP FRIEND ?
Please refer to the contents of the capture and follow along.
The DS920+ installs just fine without any issues.

1038404392__20230127_095818.thumb.png.883b5ddae5c9dbadceb83f20846abbea.png

667722309__20230127_095850.thumb.png.9bdd95c18a95cbbd033ee61eb608734a.png

1371878652__20230127_095826.thumb.png.62801f6dad41b28758ac8c009d330bd9.png

• Like 1

yep, that was the problem (propably wrong machine type).

Little request: can you add some notes near model with requirements or suggested hardware because we have so many model supported by TCRP/M-Shell and many of us (including me) can be confuse. I`m reading your topic once per month and more or less i know which model to compile redpill should i use but with every release we have more and more. For example i`m mostly using DS920+ and i know requirements for this model but today i saw ds923+ and i don`t know what is the difference between them and could i or maybe even should i migrate from ds920 to ds923 ;)

29 minutes ago, shibby said:

yep, that was the problem (propably wrong machine type).

Little request: can you add some notes near model with requirements or suggested hardware because we have so many model supported by TCRP/M-Shell and many of us (including me) can be confuse. I`m reading your topic once per month and more or less i know which model to compile redpill should i use but with every release we have more and more. For example i`m mostly using DS920+ and i know requirements for this model but today i saw ds923+ and i don`t know what is the difference between them and could i or maybe even should i migrate from ds920 to ds923 ;)

Do you want the ability for users to save their own notes?
Recently, the following instructions have been added as a note at the top of M SHELL's menu.sh. Please let me know if you need more.

as per your request
Describe model-specific requirements or suggested hardware.
The function is being changed to show additional explanations at the top of the menu whenever a model is selected.
I'll share it when it's complete.

490212244_2023-01-2710_40_05.thumb.png.8fc004093efbb5af2b8397d79e05c983.png

1741572931_2023-01-2710_40_17.thumb.png.9870b1e6ce1e4d102043976716f65212.png

Edited by Peter Suh

At the moment we have only this one out-of-date model`s grid

i just want that TCRP / M-shell will be more friendly and help users to select best model for his hardware.

Example: DS918+, DS920+, DS923+ and DS723+. We don`t know difference between them and i don`t know which i should choise for Intel 6/7gen. I don`t know that can i migrate from DS920+ to DS923+. I have to go to synology page and read that DS923+ has Ryzen CPU so "propably" will not work on my setup and i should better to stay at DS920+.

At the moment whet TCRP build loader is launch with MShell we have 3 window... So maybe in 4th windows we may display some information ex:
- DS918+ - intel Haswell or later, iGPU supported
- DS920+ - intel Haswell or later, iGPU supported
- DS923+ - Ryzen only ....
- DS3617xs - legacy hardware, Ivy Bridge or older, iGPU not supported
- DVA1622 - intel Haswell or later, iGPU supported, 8x Camera licence
- DVA3221 - intel Haswell or later, Nvidia GTX1650, 8x Camera licence
etc....

I can only imagine that in the future M-shell will automatically detect hardware and "propose" the best model to compile (propose but not force) or "hide" incompatible model... :)

Edited by shibby
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, shibby said:

i just want that TCRP / M-shell will be more friendly and help users to select best model for his hardware.

Example: DS918+, DS920+, DS923+ and DS723+. We don`t know difference between them and i don`t know which i should choise for Intel 6/7gen. I don`t know that can i migrate from DS920+ to DS923+. I have to go to synology page and read that DS923+ has Ryzen CPU so "propably" will not work on my setup and i should better to stay at DS920+.

At the moment whet TCRP build loader is launch with MShell we have 3 window... So maybe in 4th windows we may display some information ex:
- DS918+ - intel Haswell or later, iGPU supported
- DS920+ - intel Haswell or later, iGPU supported
- DS923+ - Ryzen only ....
- DS3617xs - legacy hardware, Ivy Bridge or older, iGPU not supported
- DVA1622 - intel Haswell or later, iGPU supported, 8x Camera licence
- DVA3221 - intel Haswell or later, Nvidia GTX1650, 8x Camera licence
etc....

I can only imagine that in the future M-shell will automatically detect hardware and "propose" the best model to compile (propose but not force) or "hide" incompatible model... :)

First of all, the characteristics of each model were recorded as follows.
I'll add more if there's anything I can improve on.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/menu.sh#L203

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

[NOTICE]

Added Mellanox 25/50/100G driver auto-detection list to M SHELL for TCRP.

New NICs corresponding to ConnectX 6, 7, 8 and Bluefield 3, 4 are the targets added this time.

Pocopico's TCRP is not updated, so these NICs will not work.

Must be used only in M SHELL.

This is a list of newly added NICs.

vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 101d ("MT2892 Family [ConnectX-6 Dx]")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 101e ("ConnectX Family mlx5Gen Virtual Function")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 101f ("MT2894 Family [ConnectX-6 Lx]")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 1021 ("MT2910 Family [ConnectX-7]")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 1023 ("CX8 Family [ConnectX-8]")

vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: a2dc ("MT43244 BlueField-3 integrated ConnectX-7 network controller")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: a2df ("BF4 Family integrated network controller [BlueField-4 integrated network controller]")

These are NICs with tremendous speeds starting from the minimum speed of 25GB.

I don't know if anyone can test it.

M SHELL for TCRP loader needs to be rebuilt to reflect it.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/blob/main/all-modules/auxfiles/modules.alias.4.json#L11139

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This boot redpill friend process, I found that it will do check for the latest version of friend, can this check friend action be set off, I think the already generated system boot should not do any check for updates or something like that, because I think if one day the check for updates address provides any faulty file, it will cause my already made boot to be corrupted or unbootable.

If I need to update this file, I will do so in the tincore build system.

2023-02-10_204634.png

16 hours ago, asumi233 said:

This boot redpill friend process, I found that it will do check for the latest version of friend, can this check friend action be set off, I think the already generated system boot should not do any check for updates or something like that, because I think if one day the check for updates address provides any faulty file, it will cause my already made boot to be corrupted or unbootable.

2023-02-10_204634.png

It is recommended to ask him directly about the phenomenon of TCRP FRIEND here in pocopico's topic.

Edited by Peter Suh

On 2/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, asumi233 said:

2023-02-10_204634.png

Sure, this has been requested before. Instructions here:

https://github.com/pocopico/tcrpfriend/wiki

Just edit user_config.json and change 

“friendautoupd”: “true”

to 

“friendautoupd”: “false”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi Peter

How can i use Mshell without Friend --> Jot Mode ?

thank you

Michael  

The final version already includes that feature.
However, there are cases where the latest version of menu.sh is not immediately executed.
In that case, please run ./menu.sh again.

150696146_2023-02-041_25_33.thumb.png.a046a00524e5e30f3fd748b152f951c1.png

• Like 2

For some reason, when using the new menu, it won't load the mpt3sas driver.

But using the original tcrp rploader build model auto method works fine.

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O;tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

I am running esxi and passing through a Fusion-MPT 12G SAS3224 HBA

10 hours ago, djlongy said:

For some reason, when using the new menu, it won't load the mpt3sas driver.

But using the original tcrp rploader build model auto method works fine.

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O;tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

I am running esxi and passing through a Fusion-MPT 12G SAS3224 HBA

Can you tell me the PID of your HBA?

The PID must match in modules.alias.4.json file of M SHELL.

Please send me the result of the command below.

lspci -nn

[NOTICE]

Distribute the new model DS723+ and the 7.0.1-42218 version of the transcoding model.

dc8389948b984cc21b6230c96ce34cd0.thumb.jpg.fbbc9883a44d81242fdc2bac09f47be7.jpg

Adds one more model of r1000 platform like DS923+ to M SHELL for TCRP.

The DS723+ has two bays.

Like DS923+, it seems to show high compatibility with Ryzen CPU XPE.

The DS923+ and DS723+ models can be used by converting M.2 NVMe to non-cache SSD data disks without any special tricks.

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutorial/Which_models_support_M_2_SSD_storage_pool

a5212b6f1461e3baf341f871873e7ad5.thumb.jpg.76e1da108ede9782b7e69968099f24f8.jpg

fde21ddc3d0cbb750c3371f8f2854e87.thumb.jpg.47f95ded75fa421d1cf033ad6a12c3c9.jpg

Next, in M SHELL for those who want to use it without genuine SN in transcoding

Expanded the menu for the 7.0.1-42218 version build for the three models DS918+, DS920+, DS1019+.

If it is not the above 3 models, the menu itself is not visible.

If you are using M SHELL in the past, it will be automatically updated at the point of entry into TCRP Linux.

If the update is not successful, please update and re-execute directly with the command below.

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O

tar -zxvf my.sh.gz

./rploader.sh backup

./menu.sh

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 2

your fork is great, but:
1. need option to run satamap

2. somehow FRIEND is slow and unstable on baremetal, sometimes it freeze completely, or my rig is too weak (it runs ok by manual building using original TCRP though)

3. your grub.cfg is different from original TCRP, I ve not figure out how to change things like MAC, SN,... after build

14 minutes ago, a29psx said:

your fork is great, but:
1. need option to run satamap

2. somehow FRIEND is slow and unstable on baremetal, sometimes it freeze completely, or my rig is too weak (it runs ok by manual building using original TCRP though)

3. your grub.cfg is different from original TCRP, I ve not figure out how to change things like MAC, SN,... after build

Thanks for your comments.

1. I have some concerns about this part.
TCRP's satamap function does not work correctly in some cases,
Following the guidelines of the TTG group, it is recommended to empty the SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap if possible. In this case, the SataPort is dynamically mapped.
If this fails, you will need to do a static setting using satamap.
Early TCRP guides were guided as a must to use this satamap.

Now we know we don't have to.
If I make a menu, you can rather abuse it.
So that's the worrying part.

2. Your symptoms above are not normal.
If you tell us your hardware environment or characteristics, we can solve it together through log analysis.

3. In case of TCRP FRIEND, it is meaningless to change grub.cfg directly after the loader is built.
Changes must first be made in user_config.json before the loader is built.

Edited by Peter Suh

1. yes it run dynamically mapped, but since my mobo is odd (chinese HM65): it report to have 6 sata port (the chipset actually support that) but there is only 3 port (include the mSATA). I add 2 more ports using ASM1061 via mini PCIE. So it look weird in the syno storage manager

image.png.4f31e023557dc09114c7f297a4391141.png

2. sorry I revert back to original TCRP. If I have free time I will try to redo and record the whole process

3. I see, but I still want to change other thing, like lower the wait time of the grub menu

I also encounter error when backup, both original TCRP and your fork, something say "read only"

And after that fail backup it does not boot to TCRP anymore, but some different GUI, and cannot call the "./rploader.sh"

So I have to omit the backup step

24 minutes ago, a29psx said:

1. yes it run dynamically mapped, but since my mobo is odd (chinese HM65): it report to have 6 sata port (the chipset actually support that) but there is only 3 port (include the mSATA). I add 2 more ports using ASM1061 via mini PCIE. So it look weird in the syno storage manager

image.png.4f31e023557dc09114c7f297a4391141.png

2. sorry I revert back to original TCRP. If I have free time I will try to redo and record the whole process

3. I see, but I still want to change other thing, like lower the wait time of the grub menu

I also encounter error when backup, both original TCRP and your fork, something say "read only"

And after that fail backup it does not boot to TCRP anymore, but some different GUI, and cannot call the "./rploader.sh"

So I have to omit the backup step

Does the story of returning to the original TCRP mean that I tried using my M SHELL for TCRP as shown in the picture below?
What model are you trying out?

1543775402_2023-02-246_30_31.thumb.png.ffb67b2adad159d79864ef209b481675.png