XPEnology Community

disk removal of raid 5

xquadv

Hi,

I have DSM 5 with update 7 running. All together i have 5 3TB disks where one of them resides within a 3,5" expansion in the 3,5" slot of the HP NL54 microserver. I have problems with that expansion, as the disk regulary can't be initialized (disk is ok), so I'd like to remove this disk of my raid 5.

Is there an easy way to remove this disk of the raid to fail back to a 4 disk raid? I know that I can do it on the command line with mdadm but I don't know how DSM reacts on it.

Any help's appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have DSM 5 with update 7 running. All together i have 5 3TB disks where one of them resides within a 3,5" expansion in the 3,5" slot of the HP NL54 microserver. I have problems with that expansion, as the disk regulary can't be initialized (disk is ok), so I'd like to remove this disk of my raid 5.

Is there an easy way to remove this disk of the raid to fail back to a 4 disk raid? I know that I can do it on the command line with mdadm but I don't know how DSM reacts on it.

Any help's appreciated.

Thanks.

Command line will be the only way in which to do this as DSM doesn't have the ability to shrink an array. Personally, as MDADM can achieve this, its a bit of an oversight and would help will all the HDD size increases and changes necessary as time moves on... It stresses the drives out so I wonder if they didn't want to include another point of failure? Perhaps you should email Synology tech support and ask them if DSM will recognise the newly shrunk array if done via the CLI, if yes then you can do it that way.