XPEnology Community

How to install TCRP on Proxmox

phone guy

On 7/13/2022 at 2:49 AM, unmesh said:

Once I have a machine up and running with one passthrough drive, do I have to rebuild to add another passthrough drive or can I just add the drive to the ProxMox VM and it will be recognized as a new drive by DSM?

Depending on which platform you built redpill for, it should auto detect new drives, after you pass through the drive in proxmox.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Freemax said:

phone guy

Hi! is it possible to update DSM 7.1-42661 Update 1 to Update 3 (in synology update tab)? without rebuilding TCRP ?

The update procedure requires you to update to dsm7.1U3 inside  dsm using manual update.  Then when the system restarts, you must go back to tiny core from the initial grub menu (press down to the last item boot to tiny core), then ssh into tinycore and issue the following commands

./rploader.sh backup
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
./rploader.sh postupdate <yourplatform> 

Then reboot, choose boot from usb again from the grub menu and you should have update 3... Thats how I did it. 👍

• Thanks 2

1 час назад, phone guy сказал:

The update procedure requires you to update to dsm7.1U3 inside  dsm using manual update.  Then when the system restarts, you must go back to tiny core from the initial grub menu (press down to the last item boot to tiny core), then ssh into tinycore and issue the following commands

./rploader.sh backup
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh postupdate <yourplatform> 

Then reboot, choose boot from usb again from the grub menu and you should have update 3... Thats how I did it. 👍

Wow!! Thanks a lot for the guide!
Everything worked out.

On 6/11/2022 at 3:13 AM, phone guy said:

The next step of creating your virtual usb to boot your redpill xpenology from needs to be edited to, it should now read like this

echo "args: -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=usb-bus0,multifunction=on' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/tinycore-redpill.v0.8.0.0.img,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-disk-bootloader' -device 'usb-storage,bus=usb-bus0.0,port=1,drive=drive-disk-bootloader,id=usb-disk-bootloader,bootindex=999,removable=on'" >> /etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf

This method makes your vm as close to a baremetal build as possible, even genuine syno boxes boot from a usb (for the most part)...This build is rock solid and has in my production environment being heavily as its become a huge backup for all my other nas's and servers.

Is using a USB to boot instead of an img/sata better?  Is it possible to use the img attached as a sata disk like @docop1 did below?

The main reason I want to use sata is with USB you cannot migrate the VM between proxmox nodes in a cluster without manually copying the img that is attached as a USB.

On 5/30/2022 at 7:25 AM, docop1 said:

PRox is quite easy to install: do : vm i440fx/seabios/2cor-4g/Virtioscsi default/ Sata0:22g writeback-discard/sata1: bootloaderpil.46 .   Add serial port, remove cdrom, set only sata1 as boot.  Boot.  No cli addition to the vm, no manual entry.

this current guide is base on old jun method and v9s is not maintained as it was only for a specific request.

install manual, m script just don't get it and add extra step with error all time.

with:   update now/fullupgrade now/serialgen xxxxx/identifyusb now/satamap now/ install ext need : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/main/redpill-acpid/  / build / sudo rm -rf /home/tc/custom-module / reboot :  webpage of syno and dsm install. enjoy.

I wrote this in another thread, someone asked how to update from DSM7.0 to DSM7.1 Update 4 on Proxmox, so I am posting these instructions here to, if it helps anyone in the future. This won't reflect everyone's situation, these were just the directions for this particular user, but the general method is applicable for upgrades from 7.0 to 7.1.

1. FIRST: If at all possible, backup any important data because sometimes bad things happen, period! (ok, now that's out of the way proceed at your risk)
  2. Establish which platform your build is for (DS918/DS3622/etc). Establish what your current redpill booting method is (USB/SATA). I am going to assume you know the basics of building a loader from here on out, like SSH, watching boot screens and grub menu's in proxmox, etc...
  3. Verify you have a Serial port 1 console added to your DSM VM in Proxmox. If you don't have one, add it in proxmox now, this helps verify everything is working as expected, and takes the guess work out. If you don't have a Serial console on your DSM VM, add it and reboot the working DSM VM and open the serial console quickly by double clicking on the name of the VM or right clicking on the name of the DSM VM and open the console (this will open a new tab or window depending on your browser), and watch it so you can see what it says and looks like on a successful working DSM boot, it will fly by lines of code and processes which is normal and when its done successfully booting you will see it echo "DSM Login:" or something like that, and just a few lines above that it will show you the IP of your dsm vm. At this point you should have seen what the console will look like on a successful DSM boot.
  4. Reboot your DSM VM back to TinyCore by watching the boot screen grub menu in proxmox and pressing the down arrow on the keyboard to the last grub menu item that says TINYCORE and press Enter, SSH into your TinyCore session and do the following commands:
    ./rploader.sh backup now
    ./rploader.sh update now
  5. Now reboot your DSM VM again back to DSM by selecting your original loader boot method (USB/SATA) the upgrade you just did will not affect your current working system at this point, go to synology.com and download the 7.1 with update 1 file for your platform, this file will be about 300mb in size. Also download the 7.1u4 file for your platform, this file will only be about 50mb in size.
  6. Manually update your system to 7.1u1 (the big file only) inside DSM (control panel->upgrade) and allow it to restart. Depending on how and when you created your first original Redpill, it should work without issue. If you run into a problem at this stage, I'll add something at the bottom, but it should work, as I remember 7.0.1 and 7.1 both worked at the same time so you'll be fine. You can open the serial console in proxmox during the booting and watch its display to verify its booting normal with the DSM LOGIN: as the sign of successful update, just like it did before.
  7. Now, at this stage, you should have an updated/fullupgrade redpill tinycore, a working DS#### platform running DSM7.1u1.  At this point you can manually upgrade to the 7.1u4 the small 50mb file only. When the system reboots, click back to proxmox and during its reboot, again, boot to TinyCore (last menu item) and SSH into your TinyCore session and run the ./rploader.sh postupdate <platform> command. That will do its thing, update your loader, restore the backup you made earlier and work. Reboot again, go back to proxmox and boot whatever your normal boot method was (USB or SATA whichever you used originally) and you should have a working DSM7.1u4. Hold off on the 7.1.1RC until it's official, that's my suggestion.
    ./rploader.sh postupdate <platform>

In the unlikely event your DSM7.1u1 doesn't start up correctly after the manual update, you can boot into tinycore, ssh in, and do a ./rploader.sh restoresession command, add whatever ext drivers you had before (nic, etc) and the build command, as an example: ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 and reboot, and the restore should retain your serial/mac numbers and you will boot to 7.1u1 no matter what now, and you can proceed to step 7 to update to 7.1u4.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I have DS3622xs+ on proxmox, but  Shutdown from proxmox not working.

I tried to install two different diver acpi and acpi V2 but not working.

this is my error 

()
Task viewer: VM 500 - Spegnimento

TASK ERROR: VM quit/powerdown failed - got timeout

What can I do?

Edited by wifi75

Fails at 55%. "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted."

Serial console is not helpful, just a bunch of "<redpill/smart_shim.c:334> sd_ioctl(HDIO_DRIVE_CMD ; ATA_CMD_ID_ATA) failed with error=-22, attempting to emulate something" over and over

Edited by Autastic

@Autastic - this happened to me too. First run through using this method, I forgot to arrow up to boot from USB - this will guarantee it fails. In order to fix it I had to detach the passed through drives and reset the drives (sfdisk --delete /dev/sdX) and then pass them through again to the vm. I used 7.1.0-42661-1 and it installed without issue. Make sure your satamap is acceptable - I used 8 and 00 in my set up.

I'm unable to find DS918+ after installation on my Proxmox. It might be due to CPU? What I can see it should be supported. I've PVE installed on HP EliteDesk 705 G2 SFF AMD A8-8650B.

I have no problem with installing DS3622xs+ but it's not supporting QuickSync Transcoding.

I'm installing DSM with below commands:

./rploader.sh clean now
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh serialgen DS918+ realmac
./rploader.sh identifyusb now
./rploader.sh satamap now
./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-virtio/rpext-index.json
./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-acpid/rpext-index.json
./rploader.sh build apollolake-7.1.0-42661
exitcheck.sh reboot

Here is my VM config:

image.thumb.png.6507eb44f69b9fbd2e9e5ffd29bf7b7b.png

I've tried with network device vmnetx3 and e1000 but still not luck. Any idea?

I'm unable to find DS918+ after installation on my Proxmox. It might be due to CPU? What I can see it should be supported. I've PVE installed on HP EliteDesk 705 G2 SFF AMD A8-8650B.
I have no problem with installing DS3622xs+ but it's not supporting QuickSync Transcoding.
I'm installing DSM with below commands:
./rploader.sh clean now./rploader.sh update now./rploader.sh fullupgrade now./rploader.sh serialgen DS918+ realmac./rploader.sh identifyusb now./rploader.sh satamap now./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-virtio/rpext-index.json./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-acpid/rpext-index.json./rploader.sh build apollolake-7.1.0-42661exitcheck.sh reboot

Here is my VM config:
image.thumb.png.6507eb44f69b9fbd2e9e5ffd29bf7b7b.png
I've tried with network device vmnetx3 and e1000 but still not luck. Any idea?

Try with DS920+ because is more compatible with olders cpu.

I try to open again, I would like to know if it is correct that from the menu on the right in proxmox it is not possible to shut down or restart DSM.

image.png.5ecca669dbb5747d43d007ac48b53476.png

in the sense that I try to restart or shut down, but DSM always stays on.

but by chance the Qemu-guest-agent should be installed?

Edited by wifi75

17 hours ago, apriliars3 said:

Try with DS920+ because is more compatible with olders cpu.

Looks like installed but no disks are visible. Any idea why?
image.thumb.png.28567d63bb7c11d0453ceb12c9dd8145.png

image.thumb.png.6b5ca84d8a7f757bc976672f9dfe55d2.png

What I can read in below article there is different Drive Slot Mapping (device tree instead sataportmap/
diskidxmap
) but I have no clue how it's affect Proxmox virtualization. Should I remove SCSI controller?

@ WujcioPafcio What do you mean you couldn't find the 918?  You have a serial port added to your VM so on boot, watch the console (click on the console in the upper right, not the one on the left side panel) . Once it has booted up, the IP address of the machine is listed a few lines up. Should tell you exactly where it is. You are also installing the virtio drivers, so use the virtio network device - not e1000. If the 3622+ runs, the 918 should as well.

The 920 requires you to manually do the device tree map (complicated process, and not automated - you have to do it), and you can't add drives that aren't there later is my understanding so it's not a really good choice. I would give the 918 another try, with the serial console open on boot and scroll back a bit to see what the IP assigned is. I have found the method of using the find.synology.com less than reliable when trying to find a new install. 

Nevermind. I've just figer it out by changing disk types from SCSI to SATA and DS920+ has been installed.
@trevmlt1 I don't know why 918+ can't be find out. I also do not see it on my router once I boot it up. It might be some network card problems but not sure. I've no such kind of problems with different platforms.

But anyway I'm still expierencing problems with Synology account and AME codecs 😕 Will try to find out why.

Thanks all for replies!

• 1 month later...

Hi Al

So i had tons of issues with my DL360 G7 on DS3266x+ so many errors. So i started over and use DS920+. This worked with no errors in the output but i cannot find it at all or even connect to it.

I am using the latest Proxmox.

Any advice please as all the videos i have seen is all outdated. 

These are the commands i ran and i was using the latest Img.

# set vm id to whatever it was at time of creation
id=100

# create image directory, download and uncomporess
mkdir -p /var/lib/vz/images/${id}
curl --location https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/releases/download/v0.9.2.9/tinycore-redpill.v0.9.2.9.img.gz --output /var/lib/vz/images/${id}/tinycore-redpill.v0.9.2.9.img.gz
gzip --decompress /var/lib/vz/images/${id}/tinycore-redpill.v0.9.2.9.img.gz --keep

echo "args: -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=usb-bus0,multifunction=on' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/tinycore-redpill.v0.9.2.9.img,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-disk-bootloader' -device 'usb-storage,bus=usb-bus0.0,port=1,drive=drive-disk-bootloader,id=usb-disk-bootloader,bootindex=999,removable=on'" >> /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf

./rploader.sh clean now
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh serialgen DS920+ realmac
./rploader.sh identifyusb now
./rploader.sh satamap now
./rploader.sh ext ds920p-7.1.1-42962 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-virtio/rpext-index.json
./rploader.sh ext ds920p-7.1.1-42962 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-acpid/rpext-index.json
./rploader.sh build ds920p-7.1.1-42962
exitcheck.sh reboot

Thanks, in advanced 

Edited by Vodka2014
Updates

3 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

So i had tons of issues with my DL360 G7 on DS3266x+ so many errors. So i started over and use DS920+. This worked with no errors in the output but i cannot find it at all or even connect to it.

You should be ok with DS3622xs+, what is the issue ?

Follow @haydibe instructions for the VM creation

And try latest TCRP version image. Also build withfriend option for easier DSM update management and other goodies.

e.g. 

./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.1.1-42962 withfriend 

Edited by pocopico