XPEnology Community

Xpenology on Sun Fire X4270 M2

freebsdrules

Hello-

I'm trying to install Xpenology on bare metal, a Sun Fire X4270 M2 box. When I try to boot with XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.4 DS3615xs, it hangs at various stages in the loading modules portion.I tried the debug mode to see what would happen but it just looks to be looping. Any thought/advice on troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Please be more specific in your question and post info about hardware (cpu, ram, hdd's, etc). Also put some information which modules do not work/load properly.

Why 5644.4 when there is another one newer?? Can you explain how did you the usb?

I suppose I was a bit short on details. I am using Rufus to create a bootable USB image and am actually using XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 (earlier was a typo).I am able to boot and start the 'installation/upgrade' but it freezes every time I try. It is never at the same place, but has always been while loading a different module. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?

Hardware is a Sun Fire X4270 M2 server and includes the following:

-2x Intel Xeon L5640 Hex Core Procs (12M Cache, 2.26 GHz, 5.86 GT/s Intel® QPI)

-24GB DDR3-1333 ECC RAM (supports 144GB)

-12x 600GB 15K SAS HDDs

-4x Sun XTA-FAS-S3IE96GB 541-3731 96GB PCI Express Flash Accelerator F20 SAS (total of 384 GB of extreme high I/O performance storage space)

-4x Integrated GB NICs

-Network management: One dedicated 10/100Base-T Ethernet port

-Serial management: One RJ-45 port

-RAID SUN FRU 375-3701-01 PN 371-4982-01 6 Gigabit SAS RAID PCI Express HBA

-Support Levels: 0, 1, 1E, 5, 5EE, 6, 10, 50, 60

-Sun Oracle 375-3696-01 Dual Port 40GB MHQH29B-XSR INFINIBAND ADAPTER

Hi

Maybe your hardware is not supported, as it is very specific, check this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10973

(you can request there too)

As you have a very good machine, maybe it's better for you to install xpenology inside vmware esxi server. But before going there try to change modes in bios to the hdd. I don't know if it's possible but try to put them in non RAID mode as standard as possible. when I say standard I mean as a normal desktop computer.

I can't help you in vmware configuration, but there are people here in this forum that can help

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this post as I'm now actively trying to install on this machine again. I've removed hardware that might have been unsupported (PCI Express Flash Accelerator, InfiniBand adapter, as well as the RAID controller) but I'm still having problems installing/loading. It boots up and gets stuck on the 'Loading module acpi-cpufreq'. It just says BUSY and does not move on. Any ideas as to what might be going on and/or how to troubleshoot further?

Thanks!

Peter

• 6 months later...