XPEnology Community

DSM 7.x Loaders and Platforms

flyride

Exceptions to codenames included in these MOVBE instructions have been identified.

As a result of a test by a Korean Atom pineview D410 user, DS918+ works well.

Atom FineView, released in 2010, was the first codename to include MOVBE instructions, and was planned to be included starting with Intel's first-generation Westmere, released in the same 2010, but was not actually included and was included starting with Haswell, released in 2013. started.

I think we should pay more attention to the MOVBE guidelines that started with Atom FineView in 2010.

cd296184661171a876b4078202505dd6.thumb.jpg.e63ca7f6ed8f26219d8278306ad876d1.jpg

b3209d5ba0eac58fd4037dc53e808371.thumb.jpg.d550fb382a8ca569c944d37a49e59c63.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand what it means if a configuration does not list "direct platform migration from 6.2.x". I have a DSM 6.2.3 system running on AMD 3615xs. The 3615xs and 3617xs both list direct migration, but the recommended DS3622xs+ replacement does not, and I don't know what that means. Does that mean that I can't perform an upgrade to 7.1 from my current configuration and resume all system functions? I would have to do some kind of complete reinstall/rebuild?

Also, 7.x has some changes that make a couple of packages I use incompatible, so I'm thinking of just upgrading to 6.2.4 for now. Is the process basically the same and I just use the 6.2.4 image in place of the 7.x images when setting up the new system?

I don't understand what it means if a configuration does not list "direct platform migration from 6.2.x". I have a DSM 6.2.3 system running on AMD 3615xs. The 3615xs and 3617xs both list direct migration, but the recommended DS3622xs+ replacement does not, and I don't know what that means. Does that mean that I can't perform an upgrade to 7.1 from my current configuration and resume all system functions? I would have to do some kind of complete reinstall/rebuild?

Also, 7.x has some changes that make a couple of packages I use incompatible, so I'm thinking of just upgrading to 6.2.4 for now. Is the process basically the same and I just use the 6.2.4 image in place of the 7.x images when setting up the new system?

Edited by naasking

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 8:38 PM, mar1boro said:

Hi! Which Intel i3 CPU would be best\latest to support hardware transcoding when used for baremetal? should I stop with the 9th gen or it doesn't matter with the new loader and all gens (even 12gen) will work? 

up to 10th is working now on units supporting i915 driver already (918/920/dva1622 or anything based on apollolake/geminilake as dsm plattform, plattform can be seen in the name of the update *.pat file and these have the same kernel settings so usable modules should be the same, example would be 1019+, also supported in tcrp and there should be i915 support)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/59909-i915ko-backported-driver-for-intel-10th-gen-ds918-ver-701-up3/

11th will be possible now with sa6400 (early version for testing) because it comes with kernel 5.x and the i915 driver does not need that much backporting as it would with kernel 4.x

and 12/13th might come later with that one (already worked on but not in the test version yet), that also might open the way for any other unit coming with kernel 5.x to have i915 driver even when its not in the kernel settings by default as it is the case with apollolake/geminilake

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/68067-develop-and-refine-sa3600broadwellnk-and-sa6400epyc7002-thread/?do=findComment&comment=440534

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mar1boro said:

thank you. by the way: are Intel i225b/i226v supported (or being tested) or it's better to choose RTL8125B for baremetal? 

intel 2.5G are not as good and safe as there 1G nic's

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-is-experiencing-network-issues-the-i226-v-controller-is-prone-to-connection-loss.html

cant say anything from personal experience but as a pcie nic i might take a realtek as its way cheaper (less then half) and intel seems to struggle with its 2.5G tech (2nd time, 1st was in 2020 when they messed up the 1st iteration on 2.5G nic's and some board oem's had to suffer)

but there is support for intel's 2.5G nic's even for dsm 7.x and its kernel 4.x as of Jim Ma and his backported igc driver (intel only supports kernel 5 integrated drivers, no separate driver for older kernels - also here realtek is better then intel now) - but seen from the practical side you could use both intel or realtek with xpenology's dsm 7.x

https://github.com/jim3ma/synology-igc

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl-modules/tree/main/src/4.x/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc

https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext/tree/main/igc

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi. Can anybody help me. I have Ryzen 3900 system. I tryed install with DS3622xs+ loader (and some 40XX+) - and system hangs on boot DSM. But with DS2422+ all works good (with FS2500 not works SSD casche). Only one trouble - 16 threads and 12 cores...

So, i have two questions. It is possible to work r9 3900 with all 24 threads?

And where can find explination on other loader (FS2500 etc)?

Hello 
I managed to install DSM DS1621+ with 7.1.0-42661 loader on my build listed down below:

• ASRock X570M Pro4
  • Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G (8 cores , 16 threads)
  • 32 GB of RAM

But I have some questions/issues :

• On the table from first page  I see that the maximum supported cpu cores is 16. Does it matter that my CPU does not have the same number of cores? Do I lose some performance or will create new issues?
  • The other thing that I discovered is that the nvme drive that I have installed is not detected, is there some patching that needs to be done for this?
  • Does this support power saving features?, Ideally. I would want my machine to sleep the drives that is not using and also setting the cpu to low power mode when not in use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, Innocent said:

Hello users! Awesome project!

Have a question. Is it possible to use DSM 7.1.x or even 7.2 on QNAP NAS.

Screenshot is attached

Screenshot-2023-06-12-at-19-58-15.png

Thanks for your support and help in any kind!

I actually just got this accomplished myself yesterday. 7.2.0 I was unable to get working, but 7.1.1 I was able to successfully get installed on my QNAP TS-1685. Not sure if the process is different on other units, but I'd assume it is the same.

Step 1a:

Download the .OVF file from https://we.tl/t-z2jislfoVf

Step 1b:

Navigate to QNAP Virtualization Station > Import > Selected the OVF > Selected the VMDK files > Adjusted both HDDs to reflect SATA / Writeback (only HDD1 was set to IDE upon IMPORT) > Adjust the number of Processors / Memory depending on your unit and desire > Imported successfully

Step 2:

Once imported, start the VM > Let the Tiny Core Loader load and when you get the the tc$box > message, check your router to see what IP address was assigned to the VM > Navigate to the IP address via browser > Navigate to Build in the top menu bar > It will auto-default to DS3622xs+ and will auto-default to 7.1.1-42962 version > Press the green BUILD button > Wait about 2-3 minutes until all the things on the checklist complete successfully > Scroll all the way down on the log to make sure it all finished.

Step 3:

I then navigated back to the VM "VNC" window and executed the command: "exec sudo reboot" where it said tc$box>

NOTE: You can see it on that screen, it will go to killing processes, etc... Once it boots back up (within seconds), make sure to press a key on your keyboard to interrupt it from defaulting to the Tiny Core Builder section. You will need to do this in order to switch to the second from top selection from the boot screen (........, SATA Verbose), then press enter to select it.

Step 4:

Once this is done, you will see a black screen and it will then go and boot the kernel > Give it about 2 minutes, then use Synology Assistant (desktop app) to find the new Synology (Xpenology) DSM > Go through the MANUAL installation process by selecting the .pat file from your local computer (can be downloaded on synology's website) > Installation will begin and VM DSM will be rebooted

Step 5:

Once rebooted, the page will refresh and you will then be able to go through the usual synology set up. Keep in mind, you cannot use their connect services since the serial / mac address are bogus so it wont register it to your legit synology account, so just skip that part. Once all set and done, you should be good to go.

Step 6:

Once all is set and done, power off the VM DSM and go back to the QNAP settings for the VM, add an extra HDD (SATA / WRITEBACK) for x-amount of TB that you want to add. Once done, boot the DSM back up and go to the Storage app and you'll see the newly added HDD in there of whatever TB you designated.

I've gone ahead and zipped (.rar) all files exported from VMWare Workstation so you can just download, extract, and then import them in QNAP. Again, I am not 100% sure if you're system will work flawlessly as mine did, but hope I've been able to help in anyway!

I am not sure the best place of where to upload large files to, so you can download it from here for now, and if someone can download and re-upload to somewhere more accessible, by all means :)

https://we.tl/t-z2jislfoVf

Edited by synolover
  • Thanks 1

Hughe thanks for your answer with explanations!

Did you installed DSM version 7.1.1-42962 or 7.1.1-42962-6 ?

I'll try to follow your guide step by step.

Wondering what has changed on 7.2 that it was unable to get working? Any clue?

Edited by Innocent
Added info

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great stuff on this forum!

Is there a bootloader that offers at the same time support for:

1. 10th gen Intel CPU

2. LSI SCSI controler

3. Hardware acceleration for transcoding with Intel Graphics

4. NVMe Cache read only

Keep up the good work guys!

• 2 weeks later...

hello, really need to know if I can make this extension cable to work. It named "R44SF for M.2 NVMe SSD Riser Card Extension Cable" and seems to be not so complicated device to need drivers or additional settings. 

I use it for one of the m.2 nvme slots and if m.2 storage is inserted in this adapter then DSM stops booting (tried different loaders and models, both DT and not). If I pull off the storage from this adapter and insert it in second m.2 slot then the DSM boots ok. If I leave m.2 nvme storage in this adapter it shows up in bios and different operating systems, I can format it and use. I didn't find any notices about riser cards incompatibility. 

Edited by mar1boro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

HI,

This is a great software a big thumbs up to all that made this.

Please excuses my newbie on this.

I need some help please first I installed DSM with arpl-1.1-beta2a.img and as you can see It's working well. I just need to change it to a version that supports MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard which has 8 sata ports the DS1621+ is only showing 6.

Also I want to just migrate if it can be done and not lost my data and also up to version DSM 7.2.

Now if for some reason 7.2 is not stable and you recommend I stay on 7.1 that is fine,  But I would still like to upgrade the OS to a version that supports 8 sata ports.

Also I have two 14 TB drives and with SHR with brts when I tried to add a 8 tb drive to it it said it would not allow it since it was not 14 TB.

I thought SHR allowed combining of different drive sizes.

Last question is if I have to move to a different  PC / MB is there anyway easy way  I can just add the volumes back with out deleting the data.

I know the drives Numbers have to be correct ( in the proper order.)

Xpen.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 3:45 PM, 007revad said:

In storage manager RAID 1 has a maximum 4 drive limit. All other RAID types have a 65,536 drive limit. https://github.com/007revad/Synology_enable_M2_volume/wiki/RAID-min-and-max-drives

On 2/23/2023 at 8:45 PM, Peter Suh said:

Exceptions to codenames included in these MOVBE instructions have been identified.

As a result of a test by a Korean Atom pineview D410 user, DS918+ works well.

Atom FineView, released in 2010, was the first codename to include MOVBE instructions, and was planned to be included starting with Intel's first-generation Westmere, released in the same 2010, but was not actually included and was included starting with Haswell, released in 2013. started.

I think we should pay more attention to the MOVBE guidelines that started with Atom FineView in 2010.

cd296184661171a876b4078202505dd6.thumb.jpg.e63ca7f6ed8f26219d8278306ad876d1.jpg

b3209d5ba0eac58fd4037dc53e808371.thumb.jpg.d550fb382a8ca569c944d37a49e59c63.jpg

Has anything changed in the way of thw DS918+ being limited to only 8 threads?

Its been this way so long. I thought surely someone has been able to find away, with all these new loaders to change the cpu thread count to make it more?

im in a situation where i must stay on 918 but need an additional 16 threads!

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have a running xpendology on my fujitsu primergy tx1320 m3 as DS3615xs with DSM 6.1.7-15284. Now I would like to upgrade to DSM 7. How do I do that? The Xpendology tool no longer offers me anything about this. Thanks

Hallo, ich ein laufendes xpendology auf meinem fujitsu primergy tx1320 m3 als DS3615xs mit DSM 6.1.7-15284.

Nun würde ich gern auf DSM 7 upgraden. Wie mache ich das? Das Xpendology Tool bietet mir dazu nichts mehr an.

Danke

On 3/13/2024 at 10:10 AM, beatdog said:

Hello, I have a running xpendology on my fujitsu primergy tx1320 m3 as DS3615xs with DSM 6.1.7-15284. Now I would like to upgrade to DSM 7. How do I do that? The Xpendology tool no longer offers me anything about this. Thanks

Hallo, ich ein laufendes xpendology auf meinem fujitsu primergy tx1320 m3 als DS3615xs mit DSM 6.1.7-15284.

Nun würde ich gern auf DSM 7 upgraden. Wie mache ich das? Das Xpendology Tool bietet mir dazu nichts mehr an.

Danke

You can use of of the loaders such as TCRP, ARPL or Peter Suh's M-Shell that is based on TCRP:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61839-tinycore-redpill-loader-build-support-tool-m-shell/  is the one I use.

They all now allow you to build within a web interface that makes the process pretty simple with support for many newer models. The DS3615xs has lost support since it is one of the oldest models, so the DS3622xs+ would be a great upgrade for you. But if you do not have 12 disks in your system, for cosmetic reasons only, you can choose one of the models that hold 2.4 disks.

The steps I would use is, get a new thumb drive and a spare hard drive that you can test builds with.

Download the PAT file for the model you want to use, you will need it later.

Remove you data disks from the system and put them in a safe place until the build is done.

I would keep the disks in order for simplicity.

Build say the DS920+ and see how you like it. If you are satisfied, power down the system, remove the test disk and install your data disks.

Once booted, you will get a prompt to migrate. At this point you will get a prompt to re-install the OS.

Choose manual and select the file you downloaded.

Enjoy your new NAS.

• Like 1