XPEnology Community

DSM 7.x Loaders and Platforms

flyride

On 10/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, flyride said:

It depends on which TCRP loader that you have used.  The "stable" versions of TCRP create a static disk map which does not support dynamic recognition of other ports.  Some dev versions have the ability to dynamically allocate ports as they are seen.

The GUI representation of the CPU is hard-coded to the Synology hardware of the DSM platform that you are running.  It is a cosmetic error.  Your CPU is still utilized up to the thread limit indicated in the matrix.

I have a question regarding the table, for example the synology FS6400 that supports Xeon Silver 4110 x 2 which would be: 16 cores 32 threads What happens if you make a similar configuration and put the DS3622xs+ in it, would the total number of cores be limited?

My theory is that no, since the kernel itself manages all the cores. The GUI will say something else.

You're absolutely right: the different DSM software version that target their different hardware versions aren't limited by thread or core count. The kernel will take care of scheduling threads across however many cores you throw at your build, you just won't see it in the System Information part of the web UI, as that's hard coded to the platform type and completely ignores what hardware is actually in the device.

Edit: my mistake, completely wrong, see Flyride's reply below.

NB. Resource Monitor within DSM, and any SNMP polling you do of the device will accurately reflect system load, though

Edited by WiteWulf

7 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

You're absolutely right: the different DSM software version that target their different hardware versions aren't limited by thread or core count. The kernel will take care of scheduling threads across however many cores you throw at your build, you just won't see it in the System Information part of the web UI, as that's hard coded to the platform type and completely ignores what hardware is actually in the device.

This is not correct.  There is a finite number of threads configured by kernel parameter for each platform.  These are specifically highlighted in the table.

The kernel thread limit is almost always larger than the number of physical threads on the DSM platform.

In the case of the DS3622xs+ we can use 24 threads, even though the actual hardware only offers 12 threads.

Any additional threads available with your hardware (beyond 24) will be ignored.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Добрый день, мой первый пост.

В общем, сколько я не пытался установить 7.1 - пробовал различные варианты - результат один: Не удалось установить файл. Возможно, он поврежден.

Конфиг следующий:

Материнская плата GIGABYTE H510M H

Процессор Intel Pentium Gold G6405

2 х 8Гб память DDR4

SSD диск ADATA XPG SX6000 Lite 128ГБ

Seagate SkyHawk AI 4ТБ х 2 шт.

Прошу помощи, не пойму, куда копать...

Снимок экрана 2022-10-30 154650.png

Edited by Akvopil

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about quicksync compatibility. My current build is a 9900k which I utilize for hardware HEVC trans-coding. DS918+ would be the most appropriate, but would limit me to 8 threads, while the CPU is capable of 16. I have no idea what type of work it would take to get quicksync compatibility on the DS3622xs+ image. Is this something that is possible post install with that option?

38 minutes ago, rodrivva said:

Hello, I'm trying to install the last version of DSM 7.1 in a HDD instead of USB.

I followed all the steps but when I start DSM on SATA or USB, it appears an error and I can't found my NAS with finds.synology.com

Any help?

Hi,

can you please be more specific ? Which platform on what kind of hardware, what king of error etc.

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

Hi,

can you please be more specific ? Which platform on what kind of hardware, what king of error etc.

I attach the mesagge that appears on boot

The hardware is 4 GB RAM ddr2 and dual Core Intel proccesor, with an HDD which I installed DSM and a second one HDD to use of storage

PXL_20221121_165356437.jpg

2 hours ago, rojoone2 said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only way I am aware of to boot TCRP and ARPL on bare metal is with a USB stick.

See here:

And here:

I follow the same steps but I install in the HDD the img of TCRP to boot in because I have problems with my computer detecting the usbs to boot.

When I reach the step of 

./rploader.sh identifyusb

it doesn't show anything. How can I change the values of VID/PID to the HDD?

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Coffee said:

Is it possible to install DSM on the following hardware and which platform would be suitable?
Huananzhi x79-16D + two CPUs E5-2697 v2 + 128 gb RAM

DS3622xs seems to be the most common platform, unless you want hardware video transcoding then ds918 seems to be the way to go.

Any way of asking grub to boot into tcrp loader mode for "next boot only". Assuming my starting state is a fully/normal booted up xpenology baremetal.

I want to attempt something remotely and dont want to manually and permanently set the default boot menu to be tcrp incase something goest wrong.

I do have the capability of remotely power cycle the box. 

i know in standard grubg we can use "grub-reboot" followed by the entry we want to use for next boot but i cant find where the grub boot binary is located in tcrp.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we get the OP to update the first post to include that DVA3221 has 8 camera licenses, therefore DVA3221 has a benefit over other options if you want to use it for cameras?

It'd also be nice to include info on how the default cpu for proxmox is KVM64, which doesn't support FMA3.

В 30.10.2022 в 15:54, Akvopil сказал:

Добрый день, мой первый пост.

В общем, сколько я не пытался установить 7.1 - пробовал различные варианты - результат один: Не удалось установить файл. Возможно, он поврежден.

Конфиг следующий:

Материнская плата GIGABYTE H510M H

Процессор Intel Pentium Gold G6405

2 х 8Гб память DDR4

SSD диск ADATA XPG SX6000 Lite 128ГБ

Seagate SkyHawk AI 4ТБ х 2 шт.

Прошу помощи, не пойму, куда копать...

Снимок экрана 2022-10-30 154650.png

Тоже мучился с этим вопросом, это настройки БИОСА. 

IMG_20221230_162630_856.jpg

IMG_20221230_162644_680.jpg

IMG_20221230_162654_204.jpg

IMG_20221230_162714_250.jpg

IMG_20221230_162729_675.jpg

IMG_20221230_162739_491.jpg

Hello everyone, I need your support...
I have installed the Synology OS on two NAS Qnap's.
1) Qnap TS-269Pro as DM3615sx
2) Qnap TS-253A as DM3617sx.
Both run the Synology DSM 6.2.xxx. without problems.

Now I wanted to migrate to DSM 7.1.1 with the RedPill.
With the QNAP TS-253A as "DM3617sx" I was able to do it without any problems.

It just doesn't work with the QNAP TS-269Pro as "DM3615sx".
What I could do I could run it as DVA3221 or DVA3219.

Can I help myself to understand where the error is?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Installer DS3615xs DSM 7.1.1. Bare Metal HP54L

Ssh tc@192.168.1.73 in my case
Password - P@ssw0rd

./rploader.sh update
./rploader.sh fullupgrade
./rploader.sh identifyusb now
./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh serialgen DS3615xs realmac
./rploader.sh backup now
./rploader.sh build ds3615xs-7.1.1-42962
./rploader.sh backuploader
exitcheck.sh reboot

works perfect for me ;) NJoY

IMG_0181.jpeg

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0179.jpeg

Edited by glenshep
  • Thanks 2

Hi Peppi, As I'd just gone through the new process to me for these old boxes, I had looked for a quick easy to follow setup for the HP 54L boxes. Couldn't find anything specifically so after my own trial and error and reading the forums I thought id post my own quick guide to give back to the community. Hope this helps all the HP54L owners out there. Great little NAS for the prices now with excellent software to run on them. 

PS: I have a legit DS1815+ but enjoy reading these forums n pushing my old backup box for fun. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

@flyride

I've been running DSM6 on ESXi 7.x with RDMed drives for many years now and would like to add a new server but running Proxmox because its hardware will not be supported by ESXi 8. Regarding your table in the first post, are there server CPU architecture considerations that would affect the choice of the Synology platform even if only NAS functionality is required or is that all virtualized away?

Thanks

Edited by unmesh
Clarified the ask

On 1/18/2023 at 3:33 AM, glenshep said:

Password - P@ssw0rd

./rploader.sh update
./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh backup now
exitcheck.sh reboot

Which bootloader did you use? I'm currently on TCRP 0.8.0.4 and DSM 7.1.0U4

On 1/18/2023 at 11:33 AM, glenshep said:

tinycore-redpill.v0.9.4.0.img

Password - P@ssw0rd

./rploader.sh update
./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh backup now
exitcheck.sh reboot

IMG_0181.jpeg

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0179.jpeg

On 1/31/2023 at 5:03 AM, unmesh said:

Which bootloader did you use? I'm currently on TCRP 0.8.0.4 and DSM 7.1.0U4

Hi unmesh, I was using the latest bootloader tinycore-redpill.v0.9.4.0.img and DSM build ds3615xs-7.1.1-42962

Edited by glenshep

• 3 weeks later...