XPEnology Community

DSM 7.x Loaders and Platforms

flyride

On 5/11/2022 at 7:53 PM, flyride said:

Hardware Transcoding

there are different api's that software like jellyfin (free, syno package or docker) or plex/emby (needs license/paying for hardware transcoding) can use

syno's videostation seems to be intel qsv exclusive, guess it would not do hardware transcoding with dva3221 with just nvidia drivers

so not just yes/no, maybe Intel QSV for 918/920 and Nvidia ( not sure if its NVENC/CUDA/VDPAU) for DVA3221 as the nvidia kernel driver is installed and with the nvidia package from synology it gets nvidia support for using plex or jellyfin (as also done for 3615, 3617, 918+ on 6.2.3), even a "optional Nvidia" might be possible on all other (with a "*" because there is no driver yet for 3622 or other units)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/22272-nvidia-runtime-library/

i contrary to the missing i915 support in other kernels then 918/920 there was no problem in compiling additional nvidia drivers (matching the version synology uses) for other units, afaik there should be no problem having nvidia drivers in 3622 for using jellyfin/emby/plex instead of the intel qsv we cant have with this unit

it might also be useful to mention the base kernel version, its 4.4.x for all but 3615, that one still has  3.10.x (with 6.2.3 and kernel 4.4 on 918 and 3.10 on 3615/3617 i was unable to compile some drivers for 3.10 like the realtek 2.5G nic driver)

for 3617 and cpu threads i had found out (syno kernel config published) that its 24 with 7.x (syno might have used the kernel config of longer standing broadwellnk as base for bringing broadwell from 3.10 to 4.4)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/38603-suggestions-for-units-to-have-a-loader-for-with-70/?do=findComment&comment=264214

does not change the outcome of 3617 being replaced by 3622 but makes them more or less the same (there might be slight differences in the driver versions syno has ootb tipping the scale to 3622)

it might be worth mentioning that there is still no hyper-v support, so anyone hoping for this needs to choose something different then xpenology

afair we already tested dva3221 for older cpu support and it was the same as 918/920

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/58499-dva3221-loader-development-thread/?do=findComment&comment=270216

DS3617xs is listed as "NVMe Cache Support" No - it should be a Yes

https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/tutorial/Which_Synology_NAS_models_support_SSD_cache

it supports E10M20-T1, M2D20 (has a pcie slot) and can have nvme in the regular version from synology, so the nvme support is present and we could use it the same way as with the other units (i guess all kernel 4.4 units have nvme support in general, the only one left out are the 3.10 kernel units like DS3615xs)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 20/5/2022 at 15:35, IG-88 said:

there are different api's that software like jellyfin (free, syno package or docker) or plex/emby (needs license/paying for hardware transcoding) can use

Hi IG-88! I've an XPEnology DS918+ based on DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 - RedPill Tinycore 0.45, a Gigabyte H97M-D3H mainboard with Intel I5-4790T CPU, and I use the licensed Plex server (Plex Pass). Do you know if my XPE server runs automatically Hardware decoding/transcoding, or I've to configure something? Thanks!

It's nothing more than a way to differentate the platforms.

The underlying DS3622xs+ platform supports the largest number of CPU cores, and technologies (RAIDF1, HBA support) consistent with larger-scale arrays.

The loaders can override the total number of drives on any platform so that is a practical irrelevance.  But a loader cannot add kernel core support, or the RAIDF1 code.

• 2 weeks later...

Please I need help, I run at the moment version 6.1.3-15152. I want to update to version 7.1.0-42661. But I cannot safe my data, Because is 12TB. If I can get a way, If the 7.1 is not running I can back to the 6.1.3-15152 Thank you so much.

Please I need help, I run at the moment version 6.1.3-15152. I want to update to version 7.1.0-42661. But I cannot safe my data, Because is 12TB. If I can get a way, If the 7.1 is not running I can back to the 6.1.3-15152 Thank you so much.

Buy 12tb disk, backup everything on it.
Migrate, if something went wrong, restore data from backed up disk. PERIOD.
You're welcome.

On 7/30/2022 at 7:38 AM, Lorenz said:

You can always downgrade to other version of DSM 

On 7/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, Lorenz said:

alternatively, use a spare HDD to test your DSM7 build and dont  connect / migrate your current DSM6 array to it until you know the DSM7 build is good. You still need a backup though as you can lose it during migration.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I am not sure if anyone has tested it yet, but the current develop branch of the loader (0.9.1.4 as of now)

They have added has added a new model DVA1622 AND increased its disk count, up to 16 from the stock 2!

I have tried it in esxi 6.7 with raw disk mapping and I was able to pass 4 drives to it without any problems!

1 hour ago, Itay1778 said:

Why does the DS918+ need FMA3 support? The processor that comes with it does not support it...
INTEL Celeron J3455
Does not support FMA3.
And I was also able to install it on a Pentium G3220 which also doesn't support it.

We don't actually know the answer to this question.  The issue is some sort of instruction requirement compiled into the Linux kernel for this (and several other) platforms.  If your CPU doesn't work, it crashes very early in the boot process. This has been the case since DSM 6.1 and DS916+ and generally correlates to Intel QuickSync support starting with the Haswell microarchitecture.  There is a strong crowdsourced correlation to the presence/absence of the FMA3 architecture and this has been a good rule of thumb, but it could be something more obscure like SSSE3.

To confuse the issue, it appears that some Intel chips support some FMA3 instructions even when not explicitly branded or flagged to do so.  And it is possible for a new build or DSM version to remove whatever compile-time requirement is in play.  For example, it seems that DS920+ (which is the refresh of the DS918+) runs on any x86-64 platform, even while supporting QuickSync.

Occasionally there are reports such as yours that say things are working on X or Y CPU.  Great!  Post your results on the upgrade threads.  Better yet, figure out what is really going on and advise!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flyride said:

We don't actually know the answer to this question.  The issue is some sort of instruction requirement compiled into the Linux kernel for this (and several other) platforms.  If your CPU doesn't work, it crashes very early in the boot process. This has been the case since DSM 6.1 and DS916+ and generally correlates to Intel QuickSync support starting with the Haswell microarchitecture.  There is a strong crowdsourced correlation to the presence/absence of the FMA3 architecture and this has been a good rule of thumb, but it could be something more obscure like SSSE3.

To confuse the issue, it appears that some Intel chips support some FMA3 instructions even when not explicitly branded or flagged to do so.  And it is possible for a new build or DSM version to remove whatever compile-time requirement is in play.  For example, it seems that DS920+ (which is the refresh of the DS918+) runs on any x86-64 platform, even while supporting QuickSync.

Occasionally there are reports such as yours that say things are working on X or Y CPU.  Great!  Post your results on the upgrade threads.  Better yet, figure out what is really going on and advise!

Oh ok, thanks for the explanation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am using Dell r510 as my device. With DSM 6.2.4 with jun loader ds 3618 xs , the main problem is that the lan or Ethernet port are not picking up by the system

I was using next cloud on unraid previously on system the lan port was picking up fin

The same problem accord when I use redpill to run Nas

• Polanskiman featured, unfeatured and featured this topic

Hi,

I'm a bit lost, sorry! I just put hands on a HP microserver Gen8, with an Intel Celeron G1610T (a e3-1265l is on the way for an upgrade).

I plan to install Xpenology DSM7.1 BareMetal (I had an issue with a previous install on esxi with an old N54L, the ssd was erased by high summer temperature!).

Which DSM plateform can I use? I think the GEN8 is Ivy Bridge hardware, older than Haswell so DS918+ should not be possible; then do you confirm that DS3622xs+ is the best choice in this case?

Thanks!

Philippe

3 hours ago, capillonpub said:

I'm a bit lost, sorry! I just put hands on a HP microserver Gen8, with an Intel Celeron G1610T (a e3-1265l is on the way for an upgrade).

I plan to install Xpenology DSM7.1 BareMetal (I had an issue with a previous install on esxi with an old N54L, the ssd was erased by high summer temperature!).

Which DSM plateform can I use? I think the GEN8 is Ivy Bridge hardware, older than Haswell so DS918+ should not be possible; then do you confirm that DS3622xs+ is the best choice in this case?

DS3622xs+ is a good option for most hardware and preferred if you don't have/don't need transcoding hardware support.  I hope this is pretty clear from the ranked matrix.

• Like 1

Greetings to all and thanks to the developers for all their work, I am testing TCRP, with DS920+, on a Gigabyte motherboard, H97, with Intel Core i5 4570, using 4 hard drives, but I have not connected all at the same time, I configured the loadeer with only two drives to start with, then I added a third drive, and the system saw it with no problem, then I added a fourth drive and the system saw it with no problem too, and I was able to create a RAID 5 with all four drives, the thing is According to the information in the post, DS920+, "any disk ports left unpopulated at loader build time will not be accessible later." But in my case they have been seen and are accessible and usable. Another mystery??

On the other hand, as I said, I use an Intel Core i5, but in the DSM system characteristics, it indicates a Core i3... am I losing processor power or some feature?

Thank you very much for the answers. A greeting and once again thank you for your enormous work.

3 minutes ago, jcgechevarria said:

I configured the loadeer with only two drives to start with, then I added a third drive, and the system saw it with no problem, then I added a fourth drive and the system saw it with no problem too, and I was able to create a RAID 5 with all four drives, the thing is According to the information in the post, DS920+, "any disk ports left unpopulated at loader build time will not be accessible later." But in my case they have been seen and are accessible and usable. Another mystery??

On the other hand, as I said, I use an Intel Core i5, but in the DSM system characteristics, it indicates a Core i3... am I losing processor power or some feature?

It depends on which TCRP loader that you have used.  The "stable" versions of TCRP create a static disk map which does not support dynamic recognition of other ports.  Some dev versions have the ability to dynamically allocate ports as they are seen.

The GUI representation of the CPU is hard-coded to the Synology hardware of the DSM platform that you are running.  It is a cosmetic error.  Your CPU is still utilized up to the thread limit indicated in the matrix.

14 minutes ago, flyride said:

It depends on which TCRP loader that you have used.  The "stable" versions of TCRP create a static disk map which does not support dynamic recognition of other ports.  Some dev versions have the ability to dynamically allocate ports as they are seen.

The GUI representation of the CPU is hard-coded to the Synology hardware of the DSM platform that you are running.  It is a cosmetic error.  Your CPU is still utilized up to the thread limit indicated in the matrix.

First, thanks for quick answer, i'm using pocopico's 0.8 loader....updated to 0.8.5....during loader build...

Edited by jcgechevarria