XPEnology Community

Drive keeps crashing

pieje

Hey Everyone

I have recently installed XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.5. I used a bunch of recovered, and two of them (oldest ones) seemed to keep crashing so I replaced them with a bigger drive.

But now this new drive (Toshiba DT01ACA300) crashes everytime I try to repair or expand the volume with it. The smart check of this new drive is ok as well.

The LOG shows "An I/O error occured with the hard drive."

I have tried:

-Using different power connectors from the PSU as well as power it by a different PSU

-connecting it to both SATA slot 3, 4 or the eSata connection on the back panel

-Using a different sata cable

-formatting all the drives and creating one big SHR volume automatically during the installation (this worked for a while but after a data scrub and copying my files this failed as well)

-Changing the SATA settings to IDE instead of AHCI in BIOS

I am using an ASROCK A330ION motherboard

does anyone have any ideas?

I had a similar problem and I tried all the things you did.

Finally I think I tracked the problem to a 'faulty' computer PSU, which was a cheap 500w unit. I dont think it was 'powerful' enough to handle the current for the drives, start up/running etc even though the current on the 12v and 5v rails should have been. I replaced it with a better quality PSU with higher wattage and everything was fine.

You say you tried a different PSU but maybe you need more wattage/current for the newer drives.

The SMART check is never enough. The SMART values are mostly estimates and it's often that they won't show the real problem.

Maybe there are bad sectors.

Move your data to another volume and create a single disk volume using the crashed drive and accepting the hard disk check during initialization of the volume.

If there are indeed problems with the hard disk the initialization will fail.

Try it multiple times until the hard disk detects the faults and attempts to repair itself.

If is is successful, the bad blocks will be mapped and after several attempts the hard disk will work.

If not, then... you just got yourself a faulty hard disk!

Whatever the result, if you start receiving notifications of hard disk crashes you should start thinking about replacing it soon.

I had a similar problem and I tried all the things you did.

Finally I think I tracked the problem to a 'faulty' computer PSU, which was a cheap 500w unit. I dont think it was 'powerful' enough to handle the current for the drives, start up/running etc even though the current on the 12v and 5v rails should have been. I replaced it with a better quality PSU with higher wattage and everything was fine.

You say you tried a different PSU but maybe you need more wattage/current for the newer drives.

This is VERY interesting, I know PSU can affect other stuff, but never thought HDDs / RAID could be affected due a poor quality PSU.

Very nice observation, Sleuth :grin:

I guess Toshiba 3TB might be the problem? I've read many threads about DT01ACA300 and found out so many of them failed after few days/weeks. I guess it was't built for NAS or RAID.

At the end I went for 3TB WD RED and I think it was right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk