XPEnology Community

Possible to boot from HD rather than USB ?

shabba007

Hi my QNAP has let down too many times, so I going to build a new NAS. Have a spare PC and three spare hardrives. 2 x 1Tb and 1 x 250Gb.

Wondering if its possible to boot from the 250Gb disk rather than USB stick ? That would then leave with the 2 x 1Tb for storage.

thanks,

:wink:

Yes, you can do that, it will work, just declare that SATA drive as 1st bootable device.

IMHO, I would stay with USB flash for boot, and use that 250GB as system drive for storing apps/configuration.

2x1TB would be added later, after you're done with DSM installation.

Anyone know how to get it boot from the hard disk rather than USB ? Problem I have is that my motherboard will only let me boot from the USB if I manually select it during post by pressing 'F12'. I've tried every setting in the BIOS several times, but cannot get the USB to boot without manual intervention.

Seams daft to waste money on a new motherboard, so I'm trying to figure out how I can get the image transfered from the USB stick on to a small hard drive. Or write the image to a small hard drive before the install, that possible ? The software I used from one of the links which creates the USB image, only allows you to select a removable device, not a hard drive.

Anyone know how to get it boot from the hard disk rather than USB ? Problem I have is that my motherboard will only let me boot from the USB if I manually select it during post by pressing 'F12'. I've tried every setting in the BIOS several times, but cannot get the USB to boot without manual intervention.

Seams daft to waste money on a new motherboard, so I'm trying to figure out how I can get the image transfered from the USB stick on to a small hard drive. Or write the image to a small hard drive before the install, that possible ? The software I used from one of the links which creates the USB image, only allows you to select a removable device, not a hard drive.

Booting from any Linux life CD/USB and using "dd" command will transfer synoboot image to any hard drive, effectively making it 200MB only.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious is any of you have gotten plob boot manager to boot synology from USB?

I am able to boot the usb stick manually and I've installed plop on my primary HD MBR. Plop fires up just find on bootup. However, I can't get plop to boot into the usb stick. It starts booting synology, then hangs. Maybe it's something about the usb stick and plop?

Thanks.