XPEnology Community

Failed usb flash drive

rickym

My main Xpenology server containing 2000 movies is fubared. For some reason the flash drive has failed. I have another flash drive and I installed redpill on it thinking I could recover but it fails every time I boot. I had a spare hard drive thinking I could get it going with that and then replace my 4 drives with the movies on. Install when fine but then when I replaced with the 4 drives and boot it says I need to migrate which I expected and says it has to recover and it goes to about 5 percent and then reboots and back again saying I need to recover it. Any advice greatly appreciated.

"Never mind. I just jumped in and swapped drives and migrated and seems to be ok. Only comment I can say is no improvements that I can see but I am a rookie to this still and I am guessing some of you geeks know a lot of great things with 7"

So from your comment above it appears the migration to DS3622 worked for a while?  I don't think I have the expertise to really help but I can relate my experience.  I successfully migrated my 6.2 box to DS3622xs+ with 7.0.1...  then I tried to migrate to 7.1.0 and that seemed to mess everything up.  I had the "rebooting" issue also... and then the system would just shut down at some point in the migration... usually after the install succeeded.  I got some advice on telnetting into TC to modify some files, etc, but it was over my head... so I just wiped all my disks and did a fresh 7.1 install...  and restored a backup of all my files, etc.  So if you have your movies backed up, the fresh install is what I'd recommend.  If you don't have a backup... maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in to help.  Unfortunately, my understanding is if you already migrated once (or even attempted the migration)... its really tricky (or maybe impossible) to go back to a previous version.

• Like 1

I really wish I would have stayed with some version of 6. I don't have the expertise that lots of these people have on this site. Right now I just walked away from it for now as I needed a break and have spent countless hours on it. One thing if or when I get this fixed I am going to buy a large external drive or setup another server to backup my movies. It's taken years to accumulate them. Thanks for the advise. Will post later on my success when I have the energy to start again.

Exactly which tool did you use during Redpill?
Tinycore? chain-tool?
Users who are using Redpill for the first time can solve everything automatically.
I think Tinycore is suitable.
Please refer to the guide I wrote below and try to build the bootloader again.

Especially when building with tinycore redpill
Instead of using ./rploader.sh directly, you can use the additional guide below:
It is recommended to use the m shell after downloading it.
The success rate of the loader build will increase, and if a DSM installation error occurs, it provides an easy way to monitor it.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Thanks 1

Yes I did use redpill and I eventually got it working. To be honest not sure what my problem was. Stepped away for a few hours  and then came back and got it working. I have set up 2 others without problems so still a little confused on what was wrong. Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rickym said:

Yes I did use redpill and I eventually got it working. To be honest not sure what my problem was. Stepped away for a few hours  and then came back and got it working. I have set up 2 others without problems so still a little confused on what was wrong. Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.

Rather than using rploader.sh directly.
Using m shell might be the solution.
I have coded some measures to prevent errors in m shell.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rickym said:

Hi @rickym ,

redpill has a known issue and under very heavy workload it might KP. Have a look here : https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/21

I guess that at some point the DSM system could just cope with the workload and eventually went through succesfully.

A data backup is always recommended and i personally suggest it 

• Like 1

It's funny. I have 4 Xpenology servers. The first conversion went off without a hitch. The second one which I have been talking about was such a struggle. Maybe I was tired as came back and got it done. This morning I did my 3rd conversion and had it done in no time. Maybe I was just tired but 3 server was so simple. Dumb women brain fart on the second one maybe.

Edited by rickym

12 minutes ago, rickym said:

It's funny. I have 4 Xpenology servers. The first conversion went off without a hitch. The second one which I have been talking about was such a struggle. Maybe I was tired as came back and got it done. This morning I did my 3rd conversion and had it done in no time. Maybe I was just tired but 3 server was so simple. Dumb women brain fart on the second one maybe.

I think you say that out of modesty. Three out of three went fine ! 👍✌️😉

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pocopico said:

Hi @rickym ,

redpill has a known issue and under very heavy workload it might KP. Have a look here : https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/21

I guess that at some point the DSM system could just cope with the workload and eventually went through succesfully.

A data backup is always recommended and i personally suggest it 

It looks like it's time to let go of the DS3615xs that are too old. ^^

There are DS3622xs+ or DS920+ that have been developed since then, but I don't know if I need to hang on to the old platform anymore.

• Like 1