XPEnology Community

New Motherboard

bughatti

Well I swapped out my motherboard, proc and memory and my NAS will not come back online. I am able to ping the ip and i can login as root to console but the web admin and ssh are not operating. Before I get to crazy with this, does anyone know some console commands i can try to get things working, if not i will have to put it back on the original MB combo

forgot to add that xpenoboot does come up at boot

if you have a spare hdd I would do a 'test install' of XPE/DSM and make sure all the hardware is working.

also, have you set the bios on the new mobo to match the old one - eg SATA settings, also, disable any unnecessary devices like serial, parallel, audio

So here are my thoughts. I have disabled all unnecessary hardware on the new motherboard. Still no good. I just took a new usb stick and extra HD and installed 5644 perfectly fine.

Looking at settings on the old mb compared to new

old mb: was not UEFI, sata was set to Legacy vs Native, was using onboard nic for mgmt

new mb: is UEFI, only options for sata is AHCI vs Raid, no legacy. Also on the old install with the new mb nic, it does not detect the onboard nic.

Since I have 5644 running, if I power off and plug all the hard drives in to the new install, is it possible to import the data?

Allright so here is where I am at. I decided to attach the drives to the 5644 installation. on first bootup DSM came up and complained about degraded volumes and wanted to rescan and re import I am guessing because the drives on the new board are in different sata slots than the old board. I rebooted and after dsm would not come online but I could ssh, i noticed from a few commands I had all my volumes even though they are degraded. It took about 30 min before dsm would let me log in. I know only see 2 drives missing and I think a reboot can fix that. I am now able to see all my shares from my network and my nfs vmware share is back online.

Adding the drives in the right order was probably one of the most important things to have got right. Still, at least you can see them in the new install.

Another option may have been to use the synology assistant when you had all the drives on the new mobo, but before you added the new DSM install. Boot XPENO to install/upgrade boot option & Syno assistant could well have detected the previous install and allowed you to reinstall over the top. Same way as running the upgrade.

But if your making good progress then go with it! Good luck :smile: