XPEnology Community

Migrating from busted XPEnology to Synology

Hey, 

I've been using Xpenology happily for a few years without much trouble - but yesterday I tried to update DSM through the GUI without much thinking. This of course didn't work and made booting again impossible. I spent last night trying to reinstall the correct version of DSM without any luck so I've decided I'm too dumb for this and ordered a Synology machine. I just use it as data storage mostly now anyway. Now, the question; I'd like to retain my data of course, how should I best approach this? I have a two disk RAID setup, can I just plug them both in the new synology and hope for the best? Or should I install on a spare drive and plug the raid drives in after? I ordered a 4bay synology so that would be an option. 

Thanks!  

You should be able to just plug the existing drives into the new Synology unit, it will most likely say your are migrating from another Synology unit & offer to migrate to the new unit. FYI DSM is stored on separate partitions to your data.

• Like 1