XPEnology Community

LSI SAS2008 - Make disk order follow enclosure places

exodius

Got 918+ working on Proxmox. SAS card with 5x6TB disks is working/  SHR1 from DSM6 was imported with data on it, but I will wipe all drives anyway to have them optimized. I need to check all serials of drives and cables to have them in correct orders/ for now I managed to get it like 1 slot- VM sata 32GB, the rest start from 3 slot and I have no idea how to get them to start from 2 slot.

Ps. Does Adding 2 ssds as read/write cache is usefull for home use or it will only cause extra problems?

Edited by ruffpl

Help with proxmox

Is it best to pass thru the entire hba pci card using proxmox, just pass the whole pci card to the dsm vm

or pass thru individual drives in proxmox thru to dsm vm?

and last, could you pass thru the hba pci card (giving you 8 drive slots) and if needed pass thru individual disks from the remaining sata ports of the motherboard to get drive slots 9 and 10?

3 hours ago, phone guy said:

Help with proxmox

Is it best to pass thru the entire hba pci card using proxmox, just pass the whole pci card to the dsm vm

or pass thru individual drives in proxmox thru to dsm vm?

and last, could you pass thru the hba pci card (giving you 8 drive slots) and if needed pass thru individual disks from the remaining sata ports of the motherboard to get drive slots 9 and 10?

I am just using common sense here. Correct me if I am wrong. Passing individual drives is possible but you will loose SMART on those disks. This is what I do on my Unraid.

I think if you pass through the HBA as a whole you will be able to monitor the SMART values in the DSM.

@exodius@IG-88@pocopico

Ok, I have something wrong, I think... Need assistance...

I have a DS3622+ build in vm in proxmox. The lsi hba card is pci pass thru to vm in proxmox. I flashed it mode firmware, I think I did all the steps @exodius mentions in first post, sas2flsh -o -e 3, then load lsiutil and do the following pictures attached.... I did get an error modprobe fatal modue mptctl not found <- I did not flash mptsas since I did not need the onboard bios control

Here are my steps. (easy to follow along)

I select my card #1

image.thumb.png.ccb386733f0eabea8942108cd16b1caa.png

Here I have 3 hdd connected to test, port A cable p1 and p2 and port B cable p1.... here is option #16 (show drives) then I enter option 9, 1 then 8

image.thumb.png.f34135ca712d7b7ae5e52d51b0e9ca2f.png

Here I enter 0 for NVRAM, Y to make change, enter 000c and value 02, enter to write.

image.thumb.png.0edbfef0146a78dda749d91823af6905.png

Verify changes...

image.thumb.png.035f3762645661c2bb582d53f7c88491.png

Above shows 000c = 00000002

Drives are not showing up in slot order, just sequential order without gaps, so in this case hdd all grouped together, even though they on A-P1 A-P2 and B-P1 (should be slot 1, 2 and 5)

During boot, I pressed E at screen to edit grub and removed satamap and diskid, no change.... this motherboard has 6 sata ports, plus the hba card being passed to dsm so 8 sata ports there.

Do I need to change satamap=68 and diskid=0006 ? what do I have wrong?

And now I only see 2 of the 3 drives, plus still see the first virtual drive (30g) when setting up vm test.... What is wrong?

image.thumb.png.caa63c692280e6fe6f51a1f17199fbbc.png

Ok, after reboot (completely power cycle system) drives appear in this order in lsiutil. But show different order in dsm.

In the picture you see I have 3 hdd connected as port A-P1, A-P2 and B-P1 and they show PhyNum as 0, 6 and 7.  So port B cable P1 is slot 0 and port A cable P1 and P2 are slot 6 and 7, so kind of backwards? in this scenario port B would control drives 0-3 and port A would be 4-7 which would be fine but dsm isnt showing them in correct order, I even tried to remake vm, new build, adding mpt3sas ext, and removing satamap and diskid from user_config.json, and they showed up as disk 2,3,4.  I am stuck.... please help

image.thumb.png.c4eafa1edaef0d01557f3e4a37dc9985.png

5 hours ago, phone guy said:

Ok, after reboot (completely power cycle system) drives appear in this order in lsiutil. But show different order in dsm.

In the picture you see I have 3 hdd connected as port A-P1, A-P2 and B-P1 and they show PhyNum as 0, 6 and 7.  So port B cable P1 is slot 0 and port A cable P1 and P2 are slot 6 and 7, so kind of backwards? in this scenario port B would control drives 0-3 and port A would be 4-7 which would be fine but dsm isnt showing them in correct order, I even tried to remake vm, new build, adding mpt3sas ext, and removing satamap and diskid from user_config.json, and they showed up as disk 2,3,4.  I am stuck.... please help

image.thumb.png.c4eafa1edaef0d01557f3e4a37dc9985.png

Your HBA looks like 8 ports, what model exactly is it?
Is it "DELL PERC H200" or "H310"?
I don't think bare metal and VM will be much different, but the order of HDDs appearing in DSM is not very important. This can change from time to time.

The important thing is whether the disk manager accurately marks the SN.
If RAID is used, the order in which the disks are marked is not important and follows this SN.

SN is used and the location of the disk slot is not used even when a failed disk needs to be replaced.

And there is one more important thing.
Be sure to use Legacy for the storage boot option on the BIOS on the motherboard.

A common case is Legacy ROM unless UEFI ROM is intentionally recorded in the HBA.

Only when set in this way can you enter the adapter property settings below through the HBA's controller BIOS as shown below.
On the advice of @pocopico,

it is necessary to confirm once again that Boot Support is activated as shown below.

This setting prevents intermittent RAID detection failures when using XPENOLOGY and HBA.

F594780F-E702-4388-8AC0-32E06E824EBB_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.eb05bc8c9d75f504cf93c7df5c6f5090.jpeg

Edited by Peter Suh

7 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Your HBA looks like 8 ports, what model exactly is it?
Is it "DELL PERC H200" or "H310"?
I don't think bare metal and VM will be much different, but the order of HDDs appearing in DSM is not very important. This can change from time to time.

The important thing is whether the disk manager accurately marks the SN.
If RAID is used, the order in which the disks are marked is not important and follows this SN.

SN is used and the location of the disk slot is not used even when a failed disk needs to be replaced.

And there is one more important thing.
Be sure to use Legacy for the storage boot option on the BIOS on the motherboard.

A common case is Legacy ROM unless UEFI ROM is intentionally recorded in the HBA.

Only when set in this way can you enter the adapter property settings below through the HBA's controller BIOS as shown below.

it is necessary to confirm once again that Boot Support is activated as shown below.

This setting prevents intermittent RAID detection failures when using XPENOLOGY and HBA.

F594780F-E702-4388-8AC0-32E06E824EBB_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.eb05bc8c9d75f504cf93c7df5c6f5090.jpeg

This card is a Dell H200 that has been flashed to IT MODE. I did not flash the preload bios part since I knew I would never use it.

So you are saying to leave the drives just appear at random in whatever order they want to?  This can not possibly be right... I know that dsm keeps track of the order, but even the original poster here made his drives populate in the correct order.

So did you use any satamap args when you build the loader? or did you remove them completely?

10 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

can you be more specific about that? (" intermittent RAID detection failures")

i usually had the bios of the controller switched off as its not needed (i had problems booting in one case - boot stopped at controller bios and you dont want to boot from the lsi sas anyway as dsm uses usb boot in baremetal)

3 hours ago, phone guy said:

So you are saying to leave the drives just appear at random in whatever order they want to?  This can not possibly be right.

no, but it will change if you remove a drive and add it later again

try it with normal row of drives (numbering on the cable9 like 4 drives on a sas port (1,2,3,4), shutdown, detach drive 2 or 3 and boot, i'd expect to see the 3 remaining drives in a row with no gap (as you would see with sata/ahci), shutdown again an re-add the drive at the same position on the cable (2 or 3) , i'd expect the former 2nd or 3rd drive to be seen as 4th drive - at least that was my experience and i've also have seen this in recovery processes  @flyride had with other xpenology users

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i usually had the bios of the controller switched off as its not needed (i had problems booting in one case - boot stopped at controller bios and you dont want to boot from the lsi sas anyway as dsm uses usb boot in baremetal)

try it with normal row of drives (numbering on the cable9 like 4 drives on a sas port (1,2,3,4), shutdown, detach drive 2 or 3 and boot, i'd expect to see the 3 remaining drives in a row with no gap (as you would see with sata/ahci), shutdown again an re-add the drive at the same position on the cable (2 or 3) , i'd expect the former 2nd or 3rd drive to be seen as 4th drive - at least that was my experience and i've also have seen this in recovery processes  @flyride had with other xpenology users

As explained in the post below along with the log.
The contents are as follows.
------------------------------------------------
Recently, when booting, I sometimes get a message asking me to reinstall DS3622xs+, probably because it can't find the RAID HDD SHR on the HBA DELL H200.
Of course, the assigned IP address can also be changed at will.
If you boot again, the RAID HDD is properly detected.

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

I will try this and report back... But another question is how do I get the disks to start showing from #1, I never had this issue on the baremetal builds I have done, they always started at disk 1... this one is show the vm emu disk at 7, and the drives connected to the lsi card start at 15 I think... the disk order is all over the place.

18 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Recently, when booting, I sometimes get a message asking me to reinstall DS3622xs+, probably because it can't find the RAID HDD SHR on the HBA DELL H200

the bios of the controller will add time to wait, that might have influence too but in theory just one or two missing disk of a raid1 (dsm system) should not result in a complete fail, if its asking for reinstall the none of the disk would be available at this point(?)

you could also try to hear for the disk's motor to kick in, maybe the disks do not spin up when they get power and wait for the controller and without the bios they dont get the signal to spin up

17 hours ago, phone guy said:

they always started at disk 1... this one is show the vm emu disk at 7, and the drives connected to the lsi card start at 15 I think... the disk order is all over the place.

usually the would start with 7 on dsm 6.2 too then there is a ahci 6 port (onboard sata)  and disabling the onboard (always 1st controller) would have solved this (or changing the order of the controller in grub.cfg's kernel parameter but that was not used by people)

and the drives connected to the lsi card start at 15 I think.

check dmesg log in such cases you would see controllers be counted by the kernel by there port number, oddest case i had was with a asm1166 where the 6port controller was seen as having 32 ports and any controller after that one got a counting (disk number in dsm) after these 32 ports - that was with jun's loader

if a vm has two virtual sata controlelrs and each has 6 or 8 ports there would be a offset to the lsi controller in port numbers dsm counts

but with 6.2 the used ports of a lsi controller where always in a row even if there where "gaps" in the cabling numbers like

sas port 1, disk 1,3,4 and sas port two disk 2 would result in seeing 4 disks in a row and no empty disk places in dsm's gui as seen with sata/ahci

the disk order is all over the place.

with dsm 6.2 there was a system to it,you would need to know what sas port (4 disks) is 1st an 2nd, in the example above, if the 1st sas port is 2nd in reality then the disk order looks a littel odd as it starts with disk2 (of the port we labeled 2nd before) and then it continues with 1,3,4 of the other port and there can also be added confusion with sas to sata cables, mine hat stickers P1,P2,P3,P4 but with the controller i had it was the other way around (so P4 was 1st disk, P3 2nd disk ...) if things come together it can look messier then it is

i'd suggest using the controller bios for "metering" where disks are in relation to the cables or maybe a "normal" linux (dsm's kernel might behave different as synology chenged it they they need it and there might even be changes to the lsi sas drivers synology uses (they use newer drivers then in kernel 4.4 but i have not seen any source so far so we dont know if the changed things like in the kernel)

so dont use dsm to find out how the sas ports of the controller and the ports on your cable are related, i'd fist check whats normal with controller bios (disk number from 1-8) and compare that with a live linux booted from usb if both is the same than use that as "true" and see how dsm messes with that true arrangement (thats the way i did it with dsm 6 and would do it again wehen using lsi sas - last 2 years i used only ahci, lsi sas2008 controlles are boxed and might only be used for testing, it also looked to me like the controllers where disabling write cache on disks with dsm and that ahci (with a decent bandwidth like pcie 3.0) had better performance (but i never really measured this to proof it, disks in dsm where shown as write back off and on lsi sas it was not able to activate it)

On 5/4/2022 at 1:34 PM, IG-88 said:

usually the would start with 7 on dsm 6.2 too then there is a ahci 6 port (onboard sata)  and disabling the onboard (always 1st controller) would have solved this (or changing the order of the controller in grub.cfg's kernel parameter but that was not used by people)

Remember, this is in proxmox vm, so yes there is a 6 port ahci on board, but its not pass thru to the vm, the vm node only has the 1 virtual qm emu hdd at 32gb set at slot #7, where the lsi card is pci pass thru to vm node and its starting at #15.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:34 PM, IG-88 said:

you would need to know what sas port (4 disks) is 1st an 2nd

I do know, look at the picture from the lsiutil program (I posted this above also) shows port b cable p1 = disk 0 (to the lsi)

and port a cable p1 = 7

so, in this case according to the lsiutil to mapping is as follows

A-P1=disk 7

A-P2=disk 6

A-P3=disk 5

A-P4=disk 4

B-P1=disk 0

B-P2=disk 1

B-P3=disk 2

B-P4=disk 3

Which why I asked @exodius if I set the mapping correct? This seems twisted wrong?

image.thumb.png.b9557f5ec093bb35a9ac42e6b9fbebdf.png

10 hours ago, exodius said:

OK, moderator, please close topic.

You seem to want a conclusion,
I talked about my experience with bare metal
@phone guy seems to want to determine the order of disks on the Proxmox vm.
I also have no experience with how this disk order changes on the Proxmox vm
I don't think I have anything more to say.

And now, I finished installing Proxmox VE 7.2 a few days ago, and I'm adding DELL H310 to it and checking the change in disk order in the DS920+ environment. I will report if I find anything.

Edited by Peter Suh

3 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

You seem to want a conclusion,
I talked about my experience with bare metal
@phone guy seems to want to determine the order of disks on the Proxmox vm.
I also have no experience with how this disk order changes on the Proxmox vm
I don't think I have anything more to say.

And now, I finished installing Proxmox VE 7.2 a few days ago, and I'm adding DELL H310 to it and checking the change in disk order in the DS920+ environment. I will report if I find anything.

I am still not sure why the disk ordering starts at 7 inside the vm dsm? as technically there is no sata ports being mapped into the vm, only 1 qm emu disk as scsi1 = 32gb.  This was the disk I used as a test to get the loader/dsm up and running... there is nothing from 1-6 and 8-14 so why did the emu disk start at 7 and the lsi card start at 15?  these are the questions that need answering.

@exodius when you look at lsiutil from ssh of dsm, and choose option 16 (show disk order) are yours in the same cable order as I showed twice in the pictures?

34 minutes ago, phone guy said:

I am still not sure why the disk ordering starts at 7 inside the vm dsm? as technically there is no sata ports being mapped into the vm, only 1 qm emu disk as scsi1 = 32gb.  This was the disk I used as a test to get the loader/dsm up and running... there is nothing from 1-6 and 8-14 so why did the emu disk start at 7 and the lsi card start at 15?  these are the questions that need answering.

@exodius when you look at lsiutil from ssh of dsm, and choose option 16 (show disk order) are yours in the same cable order as I showed twice in the pictures?

Do not handle HBA PCI pass thru
Only individual hard drives pass thru
Can we use "qm set XXX -sata#" instead of "qm set XXX -scsi#"?
Would it be a problem to change the mapping part to sata on the vmscsi controller anyway?
When I get home from work, I try this part first.
If this part is possible, the disk order will also be listed sequentially in sata.

1 minute ago, Peter Suh said:

Do not handle HBA PCI pass thru
Only individual hard drives pass thru
Can we use "qm set XXX -sata#" instead of "qm set XXX -scsi#"?
Would it be a problem to change the mapping part to sata on the vmscsi controller anyway?
When I get home from work, I try this part first.
If this part is possible, the disk order will also be listed sequentially in sata.

OK Try that and let me know...I thought pci pass thru would be what is needed. I will be waiting to see your results

2 hours ago, phone guy said:

OK Try that and let me know...I thought pci pass thru would be what is needed. I will be waiting to see your results

I think this is a success.
There is no need to make any adjustments to the HBA, and you can think of it as having one more Sata controller.
The capture below tells the result.

378111361_2022-05-052_13_30.thumb.png.c1119c83f86a813a4aab3b4a5a7b4619.png1839072305_2022-05-066_43_03.thumb.png.fa4e822aa96a8fa4d081e4fb16007689.png140263907_2022-05-066_40_58.thumb.png.6d20f1fb7885f9286c723337f696929f.png1108053893_2022-05-066_41_12.thumb.png.b0ede131af4377341b15f2d1cce2e418.png

Ok, I just tried a new vm in proxmox. This one has pass thru pci hba card. no sata map command before build. 3 hdd connected to hba, again AP1, AP2 and BP1 (ports/cables) dsm see all 3 hdd, but as drive 2,3 and 4.... still shows no drive in slot #1. I did not issue a emu disk 1 in proxmox, so only 3 drives connected are via hba card

image.png.d0e6e3c749d9ddbf1c5be3d01df909ef.png

So where is disk 1? Why can I not start at disk 1?

@IG-88 said there would be no gaps, he is correct. As these drives are technically physical number 0, 6 and 7 registering in dsm as 2, 3 and 4.

How do I get this to start at Disk #1 ?

35 minutes ago, phone guy said:

Ok, I just tried a new vm in proxmox. This one has pass thru pci hba card. no sata map command before build. 3 hdd connected to hba, again AP1, AP2 and BP1 (ports/cables) dsm see all 3 hdd, but as drive 2,3 and 4.... still shows no drive in slot #1. I did not issue a emu disk 1 in proxmox, so only 3 drives connected are via hba card

image.png.d0e6e3c749d9ddbf1c5be3d01df909ef.png

So where is disk 1? Why can I not start at disk 1?

@IG-88 said there would be no gaps, he is correct. As these drives are technically physical number 0, 6 and 7 registering in dsm as 2, 3 and 4.

How do I get this to start at Disk #1 ?

I changed it to DS3622xs+ like you.
Since the DTC is not used, the SataPortMap was used again.
User_config.json is set as below.
"SataPortMap": "9",
"DiskIdxMap": "00"
However, during the migration, there was an error that disk 7,8,9 could not be found
Temporarily edit the SataPortMap from 9 to 3 and lower it
DSM re-installation of DS3622 was successful.
As a result, slot #1 is filled, but slot #2 is empty.
I will try to solve this part by changing the settings little by little.

1106367512_2022-05-0812_21_11.thumb.png.c5cfd1e6b4876eb5968cf7819a3ed04a.png1184430335_2022-05-0812_20_57.thumb.png.6ae9cf77312a93488a71a1998aac9522.png

Attempting to see drive order like @IG-88 said, I booted a knoppix live cd thru ipmi on my server, loaded gparted to see available disks.... these 3 4tb drives are on hba. and the 1 single 1tb is the proxmox boot hdd on motherboard sata port 0 (#1) drives listed as sda sdb sdc sdd (sdd=1tb on motherboard sata 0)

xshot1.thumb.jpg.1a7051fd2cc33ee38e180fc8d6c19cb5.jpg

So, even this should show first disk in system is on hba, disk 1 2 3 are all on hba, though they should be 0 6 7 -- I am very confused.

xshot2.thumb.jpg.19432f96716ac5cb26519cbdeb0dd2df.jpg

Edited by phone guy

I try for about 3days to get a working install and finally get it done in manual with the post of today from poco, but while 3622 do work good, just not the 918. But on the sataMapping, i'm quite not sure how the previous vm was done 2 post above from Peter. I understand in proxmox if you boot via .img assign as usb boot, it will not show up in the listing.. while booting and <assigning> the bootloader to the vm it show up in the hdd position. But how to get a proper listing.. or is it; we don't care about the position of the drive ?  i do have the LSA2008 not yet install, so need to confirm first the lineup of position as i will add like 2 virtual hdd.

I got a readyload vm backup v7 42218 and there is no "SataPortMap" and neither "DiskIdxMap". Only the proper pid 0-vid 0x46f4 for proxmox, (written in one of the page in the redpill-loader github.) And this over a Proxmox having:  sata0 as bootloader and sata1 as dsmlocalhdd.
 When i do a 3622xsp and set "SasIdxMap": "0",  /  "SataPortMap": "1",  /   "DiskIdxMap": "0"  i can have half the hdd location for sata and scsi :

if hdd add in mode Virtio hdd = not detected
Scsi0 = show in position #8
Scsi1 = in posi #9  (with writeback-discard.  option ssd not put)
 if scsi1 trsf in sata1 = show in posi #3
newhd in  sata3 = show in posi#5

When set another (ds36)3622xsp vm with user_config set "SataPortMap=9", "DiskIdxMap=0"  *
vm: q35/seabios/virtioscsi ctrl/  sata0 = dsmlocal20g  / sata1= redpillBootloader
 i got the sata0 in position #10.
 So i add another hdd as sata3 : it outside of the range as being as #13.
 Adding an hdd as Virtio block1 : it is not detected.
 Adding an hdd as Scsi1 = it show as posi #16

*also with option satamap at 9 i cannot install dsm, reboot with option -e , edit to put 1 instead; then dsm install is possible.

On the build i did used EXT from pocopico: acpid and virtio, but acpid don't work to turn off the vm.
 when build it show as downloading from Jumkey github.. perhaps it's not updated or so.
sudo ./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/develop/redpill-acpid/rpext-index.json
sudo ./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/redpill-load/master/redpill-virtio/rpext-index.json

i also read about v9s.. but never find out what is it.. is this a bundle of virtio and acpid especially for proxmox ?  As mention briefly at page 124.. of the loader.

Thanks in advance

8 hours ago, docop1 said:

i also read about v9s.. but never find out what is it.. is this a bundle of virtio and acpid especially for proxmox ?  As mention briefly at page 124.. of the loader.

v9fs is a combination of virtio and v9fs modules. v9fs can then be used by proxmox to mount a v9fs share. v9fs is also the only option to mount a folder in DSM and have this also shared by DSM. I dont actually use it, i was just requested by a forum member to create it and we have tested it.

@exodius@pocopico@Peter Suh@IG-88 Can I verify something here, I have flashed a H200 as described in post 1, and again with many screen shots by me posted earlier on page 2 here... Creating vm in proxmox with pci pass thru.  In the LSIutil and in pre-boot bios screens of LSI card, drives show as slot numbers... but always grouped together in dsm and linux live cd (no gaps).  Has anyone been able to get true slot mode working where disks show inside dsm with gaps between disks if present? Like a real baremetal box would?

so if I have disks connected as drive 0, 6 and 7 on the LSI card - dsm would show drives in slot #1 #7 and #8 (or whatever their respective numbers are) I always see them as disk #2 #3 and #4 (no gaps) no matter where they are connected on the card.  The LSIutil and card bios clearly show slots, but dsm does not reflect this.   Before I go crazy, is true slot mode even possible or not possible?

I believe LSI SAS controllers maintain internal mappings of disk serial numbers and sequences.

Every controller has a SAS ID and every drive has a GUID based on its serial number and other characteristics.

When a controller encounters a drive, it creates a GUID, saves it in its nvram, and lines it up based on the GUIDs of the other drives it knows about.

Unless the OS knows all about LSI SAS GUIDs as well, it may not be able to show them in any desired order.

I would say don't worry about it, but I realize that things that look out of order or have unsightly gaps don't sit well with some personalities.

DISCLAIMER: I don't have an LSI controller (I explicitly designed my current XPe systems without them) but have used them in the past.

This post may or may not be informative.  If you bork your stuff don't blame me:

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/lsi-bios-order-and-dev-dax-order-not-aligned.49915/#post-343864