XPEnology Community

Is this possible, and how to??

guldhammer

Hi.

I want to know, ios this setup possible, and how to??

I will use 2 identical servers.

Server 1: Www server (only to homepages) (ip: 192.168.1.7)

Server 2: MySQL server (only to MySQL databases) (ip: 192.168.1.8)

Is it possible to connect from Server 1, to Server 2, and will i have to open some ports in DSM's firewall

or should Server 2 have another ip address??

Both servers will have XPEnology 5.2-5967 installed.

Regards

Guldhammer

yeah, technically speaking it is possible.

When you setup a Web Site App, or your own custom website, just make sure to request SQL queries to the full DNS name of the MySQL server instead of using "localhost"

just replace any default "localhost" parameters for SQL query to say the DNS name or IP address where the SQL server is located.

if it's on the same side of the firewall, you can use internal IP, if it's else in the world, you can use the the external IP address or FQDN

For example when you setup a LAMP server (not the Synology built-in stuff) you can customize where is the Linux server IP, the Apache server IP, the MySQL server IP, and the PHP server IP

Okay.

But when domain.xx lays at Server 1, can i so call Server 2 db.domain.xx??

I dont use DNS server by my self.

So if i set Server 2 up with eg. Ubuntu Server, and call hostname db.domain.xx will i so be able to connect to db.domain.xx or the ip?

DNS is just a way to map a friendly string to an IP.

You'll have to make sure the dns server you point your stuff to has the proper registrations and it should work just fine.

If everything is on the 'inside' of the firewall though, i would simply use the internal IP addresses to make things simpler....at least for the initial setup to make sure things function, then swap IP to hostname and verify functionality.