XPEnology Community

Network Card Speed Not Gigabit

DZII

when checking network card it comes as it should Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller. But when checking speed it is only using nic card at 10/100 ? List shows RTL8169 as being supported is there something in boot config need to set so it will use the card fully ?

network speed is not just determined by the network card itself.

the connection on the other end of the cable also have some influence, make sure your router or switch, RJ45 port is working at 1Gbps instead of 100 Mbps

is that an unmanaged switch?, smart switch?, managed switch?

if it's a router and loaded with DDWRT you can choose the speed of the port, if you are using something else or stock router firmware, then find if there's and option to check for the port speed.

And check your cable...some cables, especially that come with devices, only have 4 pins terminated instead of all 8 in the rj45. Make sure you are using at least Cat 5 patch cables (should be printed on the cable itself).

Make sure you are using at least Cat 5 patch cables (should be printed on the cable itself).

minor correction CAT5E (twisted inside) to get 1Gbps, CAT5 (straight inside) is 100 Mbps

or use CAT6 patch cables they are common if you buy new ones from computer stores.

@Allgamer - Cat5 is sufficient for short runs unless you are in a noisy (RF) environment. PCI will be his enemy long before Cat5 vs Cat5e comes into play.

Also, Cat5 is twisted, not straight. Gigabit was adopted before Cat5e existed and was written with the intent of using Cat5. Cat5e is really only needed, like I said, in noisy environments or over full length runs (~100m) due to crosstalk.

If you have to pull a new cable, perhaps you can tape the end of the new wire onto the end of the old wire and pull new in and old out at once. Not typical for a cable in wall to go bad though, unless hit with nail or chewed on. I would re-terminate the ends before I tried to pull new cable in. Of course, if you just pulled a pre-made patch cable through the wall, they use different ends than typical structure cable (patch cables are braided wire, structure cable is solid), and it might be easier to just pull a new one in.

Thanks everyone

Connection speed was due to a bad wire what was funny though the Win machine on that switch was still showing a 1 Gigabit connection but i still pulled wire and replaced it.

I have seen in screen shots in settings>network>network interfaces that there is a manage tab is this an option for a different dsm/model ?