XPEnology Community

IP over Infiniband support in Xpenology?

Benoire

Hi

I'm sure I read a post on how to do this but searching the forums comes up blank. Does anybody know if Xpenology supports IPoIB as infiniband is quite a cheap way of creating a 10G+ network. As I run my storage server in the rack with my virtual hosts and my gaming machines, having high speed, low latency access to the storage device for games etc. seems like a good thing ( as well as vSAN for the ESXi servers!)

Chris

XPE does not comme with kernel drivers for ib.

Though, you can make ESXi provide the IPoIB support and use a vNic with 10gbits inside your vm's?

This might be an old blog article, but still looks like a reasonable starting point -> http://www.vladan.fr/homelab-storage-network-speedup/

Seems like VSAN is not an option and the vib is untested on esxi6: https://vibsdepot.v-front.de/wiki/index.php/Ib-opensm

My Xpenology server is bare metal, so no vSphere involved, hence the question about IB. I guess I would need to compile and load them against the kernel?

For VMWare, they still support IB and with the correct switch with a subnet manager then its all just plug and play... My intention was to have my servers in the rack using IB for fast low latency access, supported by 1GbE connections, all fed through IB from the storage system.

IB is still quite current, for homelabs as they're dirt cheap now compared to 10GbE copper.

My Xpenology server is bare metal, so no vSphere involved, hence the question about IB. I guess I would need to compile and load them against the kernel?

yep

For VMWare, they still support IB and with the correct switch with a subnet manager then its all just plug and play... My intention was to have my servers in the rack using IB for fast low latency access, supported by 1GbE connections, all fed through IB from the storage system.

IB is still quite current, for homelabs as they're dirt cheap now compared to 10GbE copper.

true that!

Carry on and be the pioneer! :smile: