XPEnology Community

Small and powerful NAS

Silver Fang

Hi,

Is this setup good for Xpenology, want to stream H.264 and HEVC videos to tablets and phones?

I checked the database and the motherboard and memory was listed on it.

https://xpenology.us/hardware-db

In Win BP671 Mini-ITX

Intel Core i3-6100, Socket-LGA1151

MSI LGA1151 H110M PRO-VH

HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz 4GB

WD Red 3TB Harddrive

Dont know if all these is fitting together, very thankful if you have any comments.

Thanks in advance

13807955926FRLS1.jpg

that is a very compact case, only 2 space for 3.5 HDD, and 1x 5.25 bay for CDROM or one of these http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=196

CPU is fine, motherboard is fine, any RAM will work, 4 GB is indeed enough for most tasks, but if you plan to do encoding more RAM is better.

on a similar i3 build, i maxed it out to 32GB RAM, for encoding, web hosting and other stuff.

most HDD works fine, WD RED is overly hyped, because the real original WD RED is now actually known as WD RED PRO, the WD RED is just like the WD Green but with extra year of warranty.

If you want to save on Cost, you can consider Hitachi and Toshiba drives, these are usually cheaper than Seagate / WD yet works just as great.

Thanks but I will skip nVidia Shield TV.

I have most of my videos in 1080p .mkv and have now started to record 4K on the Gopro 4 camera, if i3 cant handle it I will go for i5.

Will the power supply of 200W be enough, thats included in the case?

Does the Xpenology support the AC3 sound codec?

Thanks in advance

I have most of my videos in 1080p .mkv and have now started to record 4K on the Gopro 4 camera, if i3 cant handle it I will go for i5.

Thanks in advance

AC3 is fine for plex. Really depends on what you are playing it back on though.

I read the passmark to transcode one HEVC stream could be 6000 to 7000.

I have a xeon 2630lv3 and it maxes out for a minute or two the falls back to around 50% the remaining time for my x265 stuff. I could probably only do 2 streams if I'm lucky with x265, but x264 could be 5 plus.

Some clients can play back x265 without transcoding. Like the Roku 4 or Google Nexus TV.

Thanks in advance

AC3 is fine for plex. Really depends on what you are playing it back on though.

I read the passmark to transcode one HEVC stream could be 6000 to 7000.

I have a xeon 2630lv3 and it maxes out for a minute or two the falls back to around 50% the remaining time for my x265 stuff. I could probably only do 2 streams if I'm lucky with x265, but x264 could be 5 plus.

Some clients can play back x265 without transcoding. Like the Roku 4 or Google Nexus TV.

Plex server running on Nvidia Shield TV will transcode H265(HEVC) to H264 using hardware acceleration...

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... DIA-SHIELD

That's pretty impressive for a box that was selling for less than £100 recently (Amazon Prime Day).