XPEnology Community

Windows 7on DSM 5.2

Jauja

Hello everyone, I'm here to ask you how could I install a simple windows7 on DSM 5.2, I've read about virtualbox php, but I'd lile to know if is there any guide to do it because I've never used any virtual machine. My motherboard is a n3150 itx with 8gb RAM. I think it could work on this but I don't know if I need to dedicate some specific parameters. Thank you very much.

DSM isnt a 'hypervisor' like ESX, virtualbox or hyperv, so you could not install w7 'on it'.

Actually DSM can be used as a Type 2 (Hosted) Hypervisor, you can use VirtualBox (phpvirtualbox) to host VMs on a physical machine with DSM installed.

But

I've never used any virtual machine.

You should watch/read some tutorials on what VMs are and how to set them up before attempting to install a Windows 7 VM on your NAS.

EDIT:

you could install a hypervisor on your mobo and then create an xpe/dsm install and w7 install as virtual machines

You can't install a Hypervisor/OS on a motherboard lol

Thank you very much, it's really useful for me to read your experiences and advices un order to learn more and more, so I'll be also pleased if once I start installing win 7 using php virtualbox, you could help me, thank you again, because I need to know how to set de RAM, cpu etc, on the virtual machine.