XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

On 12/21/2022 at 12:09 AM, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @Peter Suh

Is there no way you can do a new build guide please. Sorry did not know this all changed again. 

I've already posted a simple guide to this github repo, so I'm thinking a little about the need to post a duplicate guide here again.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/README.md

• Like 4

On 12/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, nemesis122 said:

Hi Peter 

Thank you for your Shell Script to generate the Loader.

How can i safe the generated Loader img. File ?

What means Jot ?

how can i create older DSM Versions as example 7.0.42218 or 42661 ?

thank you very much for your feedback

The loader.img file is created in the redpill-load directory, but
My M Shell cleans this directory to save backup space.
If you want to get the loader.img file
Don't use menu, use command method
Please use one more noclean option.

Jot is a term deliberately coined to distinguish it from Jun.
Because Fabio's ARPL is a loader made by applying jumkey's jun mod
Its purpose is simply to differentiate it from this method.
Functionally, the biggest difference is the boot speed and the Small Revision cheating feature.
Jun is capable of this kind of cheating, but has the disadvantage of slow booting.
Jot is not capable of this cheat, but it is a fast and stable boot.
TCRP FREIND takes all the advantages of Jot and Jun.

M Shell supports only the latest version 7.1.1-42962.

• Like 1

Hi @Peter Suh

I just upgraded my other system but for some odd reason the Packages do not want to list and states there is a connection issue. same for when it wants to sync the time.

DS3622xs+ on an I3-9100 H370-PRO MB

I tried the DS920+ as well and same issues.

I followed the new build guide that you stated.

Thanks

Edited by Vodka2014

6 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @Peter Suh

I just upgraded my other system but for some odd reason the Packages do not want to list and states there is a connection issue. same for when it wants to sync the time.

DS3622xs+ on an I3-9100 H370-PRO MB

I tried the DS920+ as well and same issues.

I followed the new build guide that you stated.

Thanks

you have to actual timesynchronisation in the time options 

Hi Peter,

I followed this forum to build my XPEnology (Z230); it run good at least 6 months ago (V.0.8 and all of your commands).

Today, when I try to login my XPEnology. I found that I forgot my password to login (I made a mistake when swipe out all current password save on my browser before).

Do we have any way to retrieve this kind of password. 

Worst case, if  I have to re-install XPEnology, all the information which I save on both hdd will be gone??? a lot of pictures and information.

Thanks for your advice,

Edited by syncreation

1 hour ago, syncreation said:

Hi Peter,

I followed this forum to build my XPEnology (Z230); it run good at least 6 months ago (V.0.8 and all of your commands).

Today, when I try to login my XPEnology. I found that I forgot my password to login (I made a mistake when swipe out all current password save on my browser before).

Do we have any way to retrieve this kind of password. 

Worst case, if  I have to re-install XPEnology, all the information which I save on both hdd will be gone??? a lot of pictures and information.

Thanks for your advice,

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutorial/How_do_I_log_in_if_I_forgot_the_admin_password

• Like 1

Hi Peter 

Pls let me know is your mshell script the same as Tinycore only with gui ?

the loader creating is on Pocopico tinycore ?

is it possible that you add 3615 xs because i have done a lot of benchmarks an my gen8 severs i have 5 of them all are double faster with 3615 vs 3622 918 920 etc 

Intel Core i3-3240

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19583809

With Tinycore Mshell  3622xs

Single-Core Score

787 Multi-Core Score

Intel Core i3-3240

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19571457

with ARPL 3622xs

Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score

and with ARPL 3615 or with or   Jun’s Mod X 3615xs DSM7

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19585405

Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score

Maybe this is Linux Kernel Releated??

this is the double performance this is also happen with  XEON 1220Lv2 or 1240v2 or 1245 v2 or 1230 v2 always the double performance with 3615 so pls add 3615 back to your mshell 

thank you

Michael  

happy New Year 

Edited by nemesis122

18 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi Peter 

Pls let me know is your mshell script the same as Tinycore only with gui ?

the loader creating is on Pocopico tinycore ?

is it possible that you add 3615 xs because i have done a lot of benchmarks an my gen8 severs i have 5 of them all are double faster with 3615 vs 3622 918 920 etc 

Intel Core i3-3240

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19583809

With Tinycore Mshell  3622xs

Single-Core Score

787 Multi-Core Score

Intel Core i3-3240

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19571457

with ARPL 3622xs

Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score

and with ARPL 3615 or with or   Jun’s Mod X 3615xs DSM7

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19585405

Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score

Maybe this is Linux Kernel Releated??

this is the double performance this is also happen with  XEON 1220Lv2 or 1240v2 or 1245 v2 or 1230 v2 always the double performance with 3615 so pls add 3615 back to your mshell 

thank you

Michael  

happy New Year 

Unfortunately pocopico's TCRP's redpill.ko driver for DS3615xs causes KP (Kernel Panic).
Since the redpill.ko driver for DS3615xs for m shell that I compiled also caused KP, M SHELL stopped supporting it.

I reported this to pocopico.
pocopico is working on the next generation of TCRP, so I didn't want to waste his time on this issue.

The KP issue of DS3615xs is not a situation I can solve alone.

sorry.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
I want to install DS920+ 7.1.1-42962. What .pat file do I need to download?  7.1.1-42962-1 or  7.1.1-42962 (with Update 1)?

I want to use TinyCore RedPill loader v0.9.4.0.
Is the boot loader construction correct?

./rploader.sh update
./rploader.sh fullupgrade
./rploader.sh identifyusb
./rploader.sh serialgen DS920+ realmac
./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh build ds920p-7.1.1-42962 
 exitcheck.sh reboot

Sorry for my English.
Thank you very much.

2 hours ago, penguin said:

Hello,
I want to install DS920+ 7.1.1-42962. What .pat file do I need to download?  7.1.1-42962-1 or  7.1.1-42962 (with Update 1)?

I want to use TinyCore RedPill loader v0.9.4.0.
Is the boot loader construction correct?

./rploader.sh update
./rploader.sh serialgen DS920+ realmac
./rploader.sh satamap
./rploader.sh build ds920p-7.1.1-42962 
 exitcheck.sh reboot

Sorry for my English.
Thank you very much.

I doesnt matter since i suggest you replace the build line with : 

./rploader.sh build ds920p-7.1.1-42962 withfriend

Xpenology NVMe Cache auto-activator for TCRP release.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/tree/main/nvme-cache

If you have newly built the M SHELL for TCRP Friend loader
TCRP automatically activates NVMe cache.

Currently, DS3622xs+ and DS918+ are shipped, and support models will be shared as they continue to expand.

After DSM installation is complete, reboot to enable NVMe cache.

Developed as a service like powersched
When the nvme-cache service is running, the first time when booting DSM, it searches whether or not NVMe cache is installed and activates it.

like below
You can also download and run nvme-cache.sh separately without building a loader.
However, nvme-cache.sh, which is not included in the service type or scheduler, is executed once, and NVMe cache may be disabled again due to migration between Synology models or DSM Update.

sudo -i
curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/raw/main/nvme-cache/src/nvme-cache.sh" -O
chmod +x nvme-cache.sh
./nvme-cache.sh

It is recommended to rebuild the loader and use it if possible.

In conclusion, if you rebuild M SHELL for TCRP, install DSM, and reboot, the cache will be recognized by itself.

P.S : @pocopico , The nvme-cache.service file, which is being created as a new script, is processed in the same way as the powersched.service file.
By the way, the powersched.service file is immediately checked in /etc/systemd/system after installing DSM, but the nvme-cache.service file is not visible.
Why does it appear only after booting once?

1806690829_2023-01-109_21_18.thumb.png.10335564405cc82985e2574867db9842.png

• Like 1

A big thank for both guys: Peter Suh and Pocopico,

Re-install (forgot my password) with version V.0.9.4.0 (Pocopico's link), a lot of new things but it's great if compare to V.0.4.0 from last year. All the commands from the 1st page of Peter Suh added with DS3622xs.

At the end, I found again all of my data and pictures (collected over 20 years ago). I used HP Z230 Xeon with 16GB ram, ironwolf hdd. 

I appreciate your hard working for this topic,

Cheers,

Edited by syncreation
  • Like 2

Took 8 months for me to get a working DSM7 and it was this post that made it possible: 

It really really helps when someone examples the context like in this post.

I converted to intel from AMD and am now unable to get the instructions for DS3622XS+ to work. Seems like there are more bits of non working or expired info in this forum than working. Would it be possible to ask if someone can update these instructions to working? 

The verbosity that returns upon entering a command that does not work in rploader is like a CVS receipt. Can't find the error. Is there a way to cut all the suggestions out and just see the error? After a while I think I see a boxed incorrect version. Well then I see that we are supposed to go to the GitHub to see what versions are available. I see no versions in the GitHub. This is hard to follow. 

What is not working:

[DS3622xs+]

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+

./rploader.sh identifyusb now

./rploader.sh satamap now

./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218

./rploader.sh clean now

./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

./rploader.sh clean now; rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles; rm -rf /home/tc/custom-module; ./rploader.sh backup now;

I get as far as the 7.0.1-42218 and can't get any further. I tried searching for the M script as I see images if it on the last page of this thread but I can't find where to get it. I see it in this forum but it's been removed. Updates are not well handled in a forum post as long as this one is. Wiki may be a better option. Possibly taking the post I linked and putting that to the wiki and update the instructions when things change in GitHub but not in the forum posts. Forgive me if I missed a crucial post about an update I work a lot of hours and this is too much goose chase. 

Forgot to mention the boot loader. If we need to get in to our bios to adjust settings it's not possible from this image. Someone left the boot loader timeout on 0. Will need to put a different verision of linux on a 2nd thumb drive and use that to get in to bios with. Would it be possible to request a longer timeout on the boot loader next image? 

1 hour ago, daryl said:

Took 8 months for me to get a working DSM7 and it was this post that made it possible: 

I converted to intel from AMD and am now unable to get the instructions for DS3622XS+ to work. Seems like there are more bits of non working or expired info in this forum than working. Would it be possible to ask if someone can update these instructions to working? 

The verbosity that returns upon entering a command that does not work in rploader is like a CVS receipt. Can't find the error. Is there a way to cut all the suggestions out and just see the error? After a while I think I see a boxed incorrect version. Well then I see that we are supposed to go to the GitHub to see what versions are available. I see no versions in the GitHub. This is hard to follow. 

What is not working:

[DS3622xs+]

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh clean now

./rploader.sh clean now; rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles; rm -rf /home/tc/custom-module; ./rploader.sh backup now;

I get as far as the 7.0.1-42218 and can't get any further. I tried searching for the M script as I see images if it on the last page of this thread but I can't find where to get it. I see it in this forum but it's been removed. Updates are not well handled in a forum post as long as this one is. Wiki may be a better option. Possibly taking the post I linked and putting that to the wiki and update the instructions when things change in GitHub but not in the forum posts. Forgive me if I missed a crucial post about an update I work a lot of hours and this is too much goose chase. 

I also feel that someone should update the tutorials for TCRP. The commands you are using are outdated and have been changed slightly to reflect the model.

Can you give information on your hardware?

Try your build with the following if you don't have any special hardware that you need drivers for:

[DS3622xs+]

./rploader.sh update 

./rploader.sh satamap 

./rploader.sh build DS3622xs+-7.0.1-42218

exitcheck.sh reboot

3 hours ago, daryl said:

What is not working:

[DS3622xs+]

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh clean now

This is the latest image of M Shell.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

You can rebuild the loader with this IMG, but
You can download and install only the latest version of M SHELL with the command below.

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O;tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

Then run the menu for loader build.
USB VID/PID is already automatically processed in this.

./menu.sh

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

Thank you!

Was able to get much further. I did try each model listed in the verbosity when trying manually.

After running my.sh for a DS3622+ I now see 

FAILED to match the count of configured net if_num and Mac addresses.  DMS will panic, exiting so you can fix this. 

I do have rack mount 12bay hot swap enclosure and considered RS4021 but stuck with DS3622+.

On the screen I see something that does not add up.... TCRP friend claims that I have one HBA card installed when I really have two. It sees the dual intel Nic card. Using LSI 8 port and LSI 4 port sata cards. HDDHotplug=0 concerns me. 

It looks like netif_num is a kernel module that has value of: netif_num=1. Can I try netif_num=0 and how?