XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

19 minutes ago, ferno said:

Issue seems to be gone, script was updated 2 hours ago and now it seems to build without the space issue. 

Yep! DSM 7 running on my HPE Micro GEN8. 16GB ECC and XEON power with DSM goodness.
Thank you POCOPICO for this great script and image!

One question.
I had Junes Loader etc. etc. - redpill USB 

I had Junes Loader etc. etc. - redpill SATA

Tiny Core redpill USB  

Tiny Core redpill SATA

I went for  Tiny Core redpill USB 

But where can I find the differences between these options?

3 minutes ago, flyride said:

If you are running baremetal you should use USB.  SATA is for VMware although it may be usable on other hypervisors.

Ha OK, thnx for the info! What about the Junes loader etc. etc. - Redpill options?

10 hours ago, luutuananh said:

Yes, I've just turned it on. Does this feature need to be turned on before loader build or can be enabled after loader built?

This is a test system so I just plug in only 1 physical disk in to SATA port 1.

Below is my user_config.json.

tc@box:~$ cat user_config.json
{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "pid": "0x1666",
    "vid": "0x0951",
    "sn": "1860PDN017381",
    "mac1": "001132B94EEB",
    "SataPortMap": "1",
    "DiskIdxMap": "00"
  },
  "synoinfo": {
    "internalportcfg": "0xffff",
    "maxdisks": "16",
    "support_bde_internal_10g": "no",
    "support_disk_compatibility": "no",
    "support_memory_compatibility": "no"
  },
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

Hot Plug can be turned on at any time, before or after the loader build. Turn on all 4 ports that are not used by HDD.
And please adjust the SataPortMap not to exceed 4 and report the test result again.
If you still fall into the DSM installation request loop, you should consider switching to a model that uses dtc.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:38 PM, -iliya- said:

i have a some problem with USB2.0 ports on my z87x-d3h mobo - in USB 3.0 loader works fine, but "./rploader.sh identifyusb now" ident vid id correct and can't write this in config

Got this working after a few trials. It seems the USB disk to boot from is hard coded in GRUB as hd0, msdosx where x is the Tinycore or the Synology boot partition built by redpill-load. Depending on your motherboard and other USB disks attached you may get lucky and your USB stick will show up as hd0. If it doesnt you have 2 options 

1. Keep changing the order of where you plug in your devices into USB so that the USB stick is identified as hd0.

2. edit grub.cfg to match the hd number you have. This is easy to find out by jumping into the grub shell at the boot menu by hitting 'c' and type ls at the prompt. This should show you all the disks and the partition idetifiers as per grub. 

Hope  that helps.

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

Hot Plug can be turned on at any time, before or after the loader build. Turn on all 4 ports that are not used by HDD.
And please adjust the SataPortMap not to exceed 4 and report the test result again.
If you still fall into the DSM installation request loop, you should consider switching to a model that uses dtc.

I change my SataPortMap to 4 and enable all the hot plug for all my 4 sata port. Still no luck.
I need hw transcode so I will try again with 920+ or lower dsm version of 918+, will let you know the result later. Thanks.

10 hours ago, willba4 said:

yup! i'm now successfully up and running with 7.1.0 on a ryzen3

What is the power consumption on that setup? The HPE Micro with a Xeon E3 16GB ECC ram and 4 WD Red 6 TB Drives draws about 50 Watt. My NUC 11 Core i5  with 64GB ram one m2 1 Tb and a Crucial SATA SSD 2TB plus 2 external 2.5 inch 5TB drives running OMV one VM and around 16 docker containers draws 18 to 20 Watt.
Would like to build a power efficient  yet power-full rig to run xpenology. Back in the day when I bough the HPE micro gen to replace my DS1512+ I was impressed such a powerfull machine used around the same power as the DS1512+ but now I think I can do better especially looking at what the NUC does. 

19 hours ago, ejwarrior said:

Hello everyone,

Hope you guys are doing well,

I have a quick question.

After following all the steps when I restart my system it gets stuck on STARTING KERNEL WITH USB.

Hope someone can point in the right direction.

Did you try find.synology.com?

You may find your Synology NAS via either of the following tools:

• Web Assistant: Enter find.synology.com or synologynas:5000 (synologynas.local:5000 for Mac computers) in the address bar of your web browser.
  • Synology Assistant: Open Synology Assistant desktop utility. If Synology Assistant is not installed yet, go to Download Center > Desktop Utilities to download and install it on your computer first.

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutorial/Unable_to_Locate_NAS

19 hours ago, ejwarrior said:

Hello everyone,

Hope you guys are doing well,

I have a quick question.

After following all the steps when I restart my system it gets stuck on STARTING KERNEL WITH USB.

Hope someone can point in the right direction.

For about 24 hours, an abnormal loader was built due to an error in custom_config.json , and there was a problem that the IP could not be found on the network.
It's been a few hours since pocopico fixed this issue.
Please download the latest custom_config.json again with ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

For about 24 hours, an abnormal loader was built due to an error in custom_config.json , and there was a problem that the IP could not be found on the network.
It's been a few hours since pocopico fixed this issue.
Please download the latest custom_config.json again with ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now.

Thank you so much, this actually fixed my issue.

Quick question is there a guide on how to upgrade from a baremetal Jun's loader DMS 6.2 to Tinycore DMS7.1?

Thank you so much, this actually fixed my issue.

Quick question is there a guide on how to upgrade from a baremetal Jun's loader DMS 6.2 to Tinycore DMS7.1?

You don't need any guide. Just install 7.1 dsm with 7.1 loader and it will be updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please help, I do no know whre to look for the errors...

Hardware: HP Microserver Gen8, 4 SATA HDD, was working with DSM 6.2

Default network NIC (Broadcom)

The loader is on the MicroSD card from the MB.

I've created the redpill.pad

sudo -i

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

./rploader.sh serialgen DS3615xs

./rploader.sh identifyusb now

./rploader.sh satamap now

(I've choosed 4)

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218

./rploader.sh clean now

I've downloaded the created pat file with WinSCP

Now I boot from redpill (default USB option), I upload the above pat file.

I get error that the file is probably corrupted at 41%. And I'm stuck.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Mentat

My processor is Intel i3 3240 so i think bromolow is the arhitecture ?

sudo -i

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

./rploader.sh serialgen DS3615xs

./rploader.sh identifyusb now

./rploader.sh satamap now

I've choosed 4 SATA

./rploader.sh build bromolow-7.1.0-42661

./rploader.sh clean now

Same error on using the pat file, 41% probably corrupt file, now using USB stick, not microSD.

Edited by Mentat

16 minutes ago, Mentat said:

Again, I've managed to install 7.0.1-42218

Doing the same steps for 7.1.0-42661 will result in an error (corrupted file).

DS3622xs+ has been tested with Intel 1st generation, and CPU generation is not restricted.
DS3622xs+, DS3615xs, DS3617xs of the same DS36XX series can be mixed.
However, SataportMap and HotPlug settings are closely related to the corrupted message during DSM installation.
Today Pocopico has a guide on this topic.
Please see the contents of this topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 10:11 AM, Peter Suh said:

Hi, may be I found out whats going on.

After a lot of trying, I go back and using Jun loader on dsm 6.2.3.

And I can see that DSM recognize my hdd start at number 3.

So the question now is how can I map the HDD properly. Is there any document or post on this forum let me allow loader skip the first sata port on the board. i mean, to map the first dsm sata port to mainboard sata port 3.

Am facing a build issue with the ds920 platform, the loader detects my HDDs but is unable to create the dtb file correctly. See error below

######################################################################### 100.0%

[#] Extension redpill-misc for ds920p_42661 platform is already up to date
[#] Updating ds920p_42661 platforms extensions...  [OK]
Protocol spec without prior Class and Subclass spec at line 23281
Downloading dtc binary
######################################################################### 100.0%
No cached dtb file found in /home/tc/custom-module/ds920p.dtb
Found 4 disks and 0 nvme
Collecting disk paths
Found local disk sda with path 00:12.0, adding into internal_slot 1 with portnumber 0
Found local disk sdb with path 00:12.0, adding into internal_slot 2 with portnumber 1
Found local disk sdc with path 00:13.3,00.0, adding into internal_slot 3 with portnumber 2
Found local disk sdd with path 00:13.3,00.0, adding into internal_slot 4 with portnumber 3
NO NVME disks found, returning
Patching USB to include your loader. Loader found in 1-4 port
Converting dts file : ds920p.dts to dtb file : >ds920p.dtb
dtb extension is not loaded and its required for DSM to find disks on ds920p_42661
Copy of the DTB file ds920p.dtb to  was not succesfull.
Please remember to replace the dtb extension model file ...
execute manually : cp ds920p.dtb  and re-run

4 hours ago, SachinD said:

Am facing a build issue with the ds920 platform, the loader detects my HDDs but is unable to create the dtb file correctly. See error below

[#] Extension redpill-misc for ds920p_42661 platform is already up to date
[#] Updating ds920p_42661 platforms extensions...  [OK]
Protocol spec without prior Class and Subclass spec at line 23281
Downloading dtc binary
No cached dtb file found in /home/tc/custom-module/ds920p.dtb
Found 4 disks and 0 nvme
Collecting disk paths
Found local disk sda with path 00:12.0, adding into internal_slot 1 with portnumber 0
Found local disk sdb with path 00:12.0, adding into internal_slot 2 with portnumber 1
Found local disk sdc with path 00:13.3,00.0, adding into internal_slot 3 with portnumber 2
Found local disk sdd with path 00:13.3,00.0, adding into internal_slot 4 with portnumber 3
NO NVME disks found, returning
Patching USB to include your loader. Loader found in 1-4 port
Converting dts file : ds920p.dts to dtb file : >ds920p.dtb
dtb extension is not loaded and its required for DSM to find disks on ds920p_42661
Copy of the DTB file ds920p.dtb to  was not succesfull.
Please remember to replace the dtb extension model file ...
execute manually : cp ds920p.dtb  and re-run

@jumkey The reason seems to be that the sha256sum value in the install_rd.sh file modified 11 hours ago was inconsistent.

https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/blob/develop/redpill-dtb/recipes/universal.json

@jumkey I asked for a correction and I'll have to wait and see.

840745312_2022-05-221_05_52.thumb.png.5b5408468db8eade625dcc3b4f9f14e7.png

14 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

@jumkey The reason seems to be that the sha256sum value in the install_rd.sh file modified 11 hours ago was inconsistent.

https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/blob/develop/redpill-dtb/recipes/universal.json

@jumkey I asked for a correction and I'll have to wait and see.

840745312_2022-05-221_05_52.thumb.png.5b5408468db8eade625dcc3b4f9f14e7.png

recipes is from

https://github.com/pocopico/redpill-load/blob/master/redpill-dtb/recipes/universal.json

but install_rd.sh is https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-dtb/releases/install_rd.sh

43 minutes ago, jumkey said:

I also just checked this part and I'm going to ask pocopico.

Edited by Peter Suh