XPEnology Community

My computer lifespan is going to end

BigKjju

Hi Guys, been using Xpenology for a long while now, even considering buyng real synology, i have it on old computer (maybe 10years old) but with good specs.

the biggest fear i have, what if my machine suddenly decide to stop working? is possible to instal DSM on a new PC? same version of DSM... IDK, wanna be ready for that situation,,

any of you had similiar experience?

sorry if its in wrong section, was unable to find this kind of question, acc made just now

Thank you

8 hours ago, BigKjju said:

Hi Guys, been using Xpenology for a long while now, even considering buyng real synology, i have it on old computer (maybe 10years old) but with good specs.

the biggest fear i have, what if my machine suddenly decide to stop working? is possible to instal DSM on a new PC? same version of DSM... IDK, wanna be ready for that situation,,

any of you had similiar experience?

sorry if its in wrong section, was unable to find this kind of question, acc made just now

Thank you

Even if you take the drives from the crashed PC (by crash I mean any other hardware except the drives of course) and install them to a real Synology or XPEnology it will migrate with no issue.

18 hours ago, Badger said:

Sure is possible.  Or another old PC with good specs (like you have now.. if I understood correctly). Then set both to sync folders and you'll be ready for either to crash.

dont wanna run 2 PC, for now i have just one, now i want to prepare for worst case scenario 

13 hours ago, gadreel said:

Even if you take the drives from the crashed PC (by crash I mean any other hardware except the drives of course) and install them to a real Synology or XPEnology it will migrate with no issue.

like imagine this... my actual PC crashed, so i take out both HDDs (i have Raid1) put them in new PC reconfigure my Loader on USB, boot it up and it should just run? or i will need to reinstal same version of DSM and it asks me if i want to restore or something?

Thank you very much for your time :)

im scared a want be as much ready as possible, because some time ago i accidentaly updated and restarted the system, it never boots up after that... found thread on this forum that i needed fix USB loader because its corrupted so i reflashed it, boots up normaly, system asked me if i want to restore system and files, so i click yes, nothing just only reboot and loader again ...corrupted,, and second option was that i insert new clean HDD instal DSM and then i turn off plug in my old HDDs and click restore... again nothing just reboot and corrupted loader on USB.... tryed both ways, only corrupted loader no progress... so i format both HDD drives and install it again, lucky it had not much files on them

-but i think it was because the newer not supported version was still on the HDDs so it maybe tryed to restore that idk...

hope you understand my english 

Edited by BigKjju

I believe the idea is the same. When you have 2 Real Synologies and 1 dies when you remove the drives and you install them to the other one it will detect that the drives were installed on a different Synology and it will ask you to migrate or something.

Of course I do not think it's possible to just jump from DSM 5 to DSM 7...