XPEnology Community

Slower read from xponology NAS by network

sstyle

Hi.

I have a DSM 5.2-5644 on my PC with Hyper-V. Network cable cat5e (tried another one too). HDD Hitachi 5K3000 (7200rpm, 6Gbit/s). I see a 1Gbit connection in properties. But maximum reading speed from NAS is about 50Mb\sec. Tried AFP, SMB3. How to improve? Thanks.

Megabyte or Megabit?

If its Megabit (Mb) you have a problem.

If its Megabyte (MB) its completely normal. DSM uses the same connection/cable twice, first from the VM to the router and then from the router back to the host (your PC). To fix this you have to use a virtual switch but i have no idea how to create one in Hyper-V.

If its Megabit (Mb) you can try to disable "Virtual Machine Queue", if that still doesn't fix it make sure your router, cable and your host (Your PC) Ethernet adapter support Gigabit Ethernet.

bfD3WDt.jpg

Source: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3191#p18792

When you deal with Network Transfer is better to use Mbps, as it's less confusing

When dealing with network transfer speeds of over 1Gbit/s its easier to use MBps IMO.

Horses for courses. MB more appropriate if you want to get a feel for how fast files will transfer (as file size is usually measured in bytes), Mb is more appropriate if you're trying to understand utilization (or not) of a fixed bandwidth channel like 1Gb Ethernet.

You can translate between both values if you factor in protocol overheads. As a rule of thumb, I assume that 1 byte of data (i.e. 8 bits) will consume 10 bits when transmitted. So 1GbE Ethernet (1 gigabit per second) will transmit 100MB of data per second.

You can translate between both values if you factor in protocol overheads. As a rule of thumb, I assume that 1 byte of data (i.e. 8 bits) will consume 10 bits when transmitted. So 1GbE Ethernet (1 gigabit per second) will transmit 100MB of data per second.

yup, that's usually the rough numbers I use, then you only add a Zero for Mbps (bandwidth utilization), and remove a Zero for MByte/s (data size)

It's also worth mentioning the Brand of Network Card, SATA 1/2/3 speed, and HDD (5600rpm/7200rpm) speed can make a difference to the overall transfer rate as well.