XPEnology Community

Help with nanoboot 4482 on Dell Server

tank27

I am using nanoboot with 4482 on it and now all of a sudden it just stops working. I can reboot it and it may last a day or two then stops working again. I hook it up to a monitor and its frozen. Any info you need let me know. I am running it on a dell server tower

That sounds like a RAM problem, or the Power Saving feature of that Dell PC having problems

Run Memtest86 on it (until it finishes like 30min), and see if it shows any error

Go into the BIOS disable all the Power Saving features.

Ok.... I am using nanoboot from a usb drive on a dell t20. No powersaving anything in the bios. It used to work fine with no problem for about 2 years now if just freezes from time to time. how do i run memtest without windows installed?

Well part 1 of the mystery is solved, so it was not a RAM issue.

That's good.

But it was interesting the part you said it was running fine for 2 years, but just started behaving erratically recently.

That is usually a sign that either the Power Supply is failing, or one of the HDD drives might be having errors.

Check out the SMART report of each HDD, and see which HDD has the most bad sectors

Also just passed all MEMTEST

If it's a T20 server, then it came with ECC (Error Checking and Correcting) RAM. ECC RAM uses Hamming codes to detect 1 and 2 bit errors and correct 1 bit errors (2 bit errors are flagged to the CPU and the server will halt). Errors could be caused by faulty RAM or cosmic rays passing through the RAM chips and flipping bits randomly.

This has implications when testing the RAM. For example, MEMTEST86 has to be set to ECC mode to test ECC RAM, otherwise the RAM could 'fix itself' before MEMTEST86 can detect any issue.